DLC Discussion: One Song

Comments

• LoopyChew said:

tdc002 said:

What are the tiers?

G/B5, V3, D6.
    Sometimes you use funny scales. Does "D6" mean devil drums?

And is it a legit devil drum track, or did it get "up-tiered" due to length? If it's the latter then I might be able to get one of those cherished GSs on a tough tiered drum song. :)
    the song is 17 minutes without a break on vocals
    The heck kinda drums are YOU hitting?
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited July 13
    HMXOwl said:

LoopyChew said:

tdc002 said:

What are the tiers?

G/B5, V3, D6.

And is it a legit devil drum track, or did it get "up-tiered" due to length? If it's the latter then I might be able to get one of those cherished GSs on a tough tiered drum song. :)
    the song is 17 minutes without a break on vocals
    The heck kinda drums are YOU hitting?
    What the hell, I thought I had slept well enough today. Fixed :p
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star

LoopyChew said:

tdc002 said:

What are the tiers?

G/B5, V3, D6.

Yes, "6" means devil-tier. As for whether it deserves it or not, there is a rather lengthy and tricky roll section, and the fact that the song is 17 minutes without a break on drums, I'd say it's deserving of it's devil tier.
    With Loopy you never know if he doesn't believe in 0 for this application and 6 really means 5 dot so devils would be 7. :)
  • calloycalloy Unsigned
    I sang it once and, yeah, it's devilish on the drums. I may be able to squeeze 5 stars out since it's pretty straightforward aside from the solos.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    I'd say 17 minutes of nonstop drumming is worthy of devil tier, especially given the long breaks every other instrument gets.
  • That guitar solo after the long break is particularly nasty. Otherwise, thought it was fun.

I don't know how many times I'll actually play it after the challenge, though.
  • NavyCherubNavyCherub Unsigned
    How come there's no freestyle vocals?
    edited July 14

How come there's no freestyle vocals?

I'm pretty sure there's no freestyle Guitar, either. They seem to do tihs with songs with DIY stems, probably so things don't sound particularly nasty when freestyle solos kick in. I'm pretty sure both Freestyle Guitar and Freestyle Vocals use the same pool of pitches, and as thus authoring for one but not the other may be easier said than done (especially with Endless Solo Mode, that mode under Training that just allows you to freeform shred over the whole song).
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    In-a-gadda-da-vida so much fun. Played on Guitar, my daughter on Bass. Loved the drum solo break where you could just chill out and listen to the epic tune. Can't wait to play on Bass, etc. This one will have a pretty high play count for me considering its length.
    edited July 14
    Man, everyone complaining about stems is being overly critical. I played through the song on guitar and it was no more noticeable than other songs. I played a live AC/DC track (which have kinda shakey stems) immediately afterwards and it was very comparable. It's not overtly jarring like Black Betty or I Will Survive.

But again, maybe it's more noticeable on bass or drums.

Anyways, In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida is an experience. And this is coming from someone who purposefully skipped songs like "Do You Feel Like We Do?" and "2112" for being too long.
  • MrMet2087MrMet2087 Road Warrior

@MrMet2087 So Led Zeppelin is just about money nowadays and not the "you should learn how to play a real instrument" approach of before?

I think I read a long while ago Page and John Paul Jones are pretty "whatever" about it at this point. Page is understandably worried about handing over masters. It's mostly Plant as the hold out. But Alex said they won't even entertain you if you can't wave a 7 figure check in front of them, all though he might have been speaking of bands in general of that caliber. I'm sure there's other factors, but money is a big one obviously.

tdc002 said:

Man, everyone complaining about stems is being overly critical. I played through the song on guitar and it was no more noticeable than other songs. I played a live AC/DC track (which have kinda shakey stems) immediately afterwards and it was very comparable. It's not overtly jarring like Black Betty or I Will Survive.

Please note that I myself was not complaining, just explaining that it seems songs with DIY stems have been lacking Freestyle stuff lately (side note, they don't seem to have BREs, either), it wasn't meant to be a complaint.
  • ekffazrekffazr Unsigned
    so I bought and downloaded this one on PS4......it doesn't show up. is there a way to force it to re-download or reinstall? I tried restarting RB4, I restarted the PS4, and I refreshed the music library.......is there something else I can try?
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    Try to "restore licenses" from your Playstation.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    personally i think the song is slightly overtiered in drums, sure it's long and doesn't have any breaks, but it's not a very fast tempo, and except for the solo and the one extended roll section, nothing very technically difficult, plus there's a slower tom section after the solo that let's you relax a bit. something like High Voltage from AC/DC, which is also non-stop and has a faster tempo, is much more of an endurance test at 10 minutes or so, and it's a 0-tier song. that one is definitely undertiered though.
  • CAL022CAL022 Opening Act
    The drums chart has over SEVEN THOUSAND notes! :scream:
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    I am posting right now during the Bass break, to cool :smiley:
  • tnevaker said:

personally i think the song is slightly overtiered in drums, sure it's long and doesn't have any breaks, but it's not a very fast tempo, and except for the solo and the one extended roll section, nothing very technically difficult, plus there's a slower tom section after the solo that let's you relax a bit. something like High Voltage from AC/DC, which is also non-stop and has a faster tempo, is much more of an endurance test at 10 minutes or so, and it's a 0-tier song. that one is definitely undertiered though.

I think that roll section pretty much should be why it's 6 tier.
  • After playing, I say this is a good cause to support taps in long songs. I appreciate getting something to do during the break, thank you.
    tdc002 said:

Anyways, In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida is an experience. And this is coming from someone who purposefully skipped songs like "Do You Feel Like We Do?" and "2112" for being too long.

As an addendum, I played "No Woman No Cry" by Bob Marley, which is MUCH more noticeably lacking stems compared to "In-a-Gadda-Da-Vidda," and this was long before the whole hysteria over "DIY stems" in RB4.
  • V8VANTAGEV8VANTAGE Road Warrior
    It sounded ok on the stream to me, I think they have found a way of separating the sounds better. I have heard of a newish piece of software or a plugin which is far more intelligent than just using a EQ filter.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited July 15
    tdc002 said:

tdc002 said:

As an addendum, I played "No Woman No Cry" by Bob Marley, which is MUCH more noticeably lacking stems compared to "In-a-Gadda-Da-Vidda," and this was long before the whole hysteria over "DIY stems" in RB4.
    I think the only examples of not fully separated stems pre-RB4 era were in full album DLC packs so it became more a case of preserve the full album DLC release rather than RB4's approach of getting hits previously impossible to get.
  • edited July 15
    V8VANTAGE said:

It sounded ok on the stream to me, I think they have found a way of separating the sounds better. I have heard of a newish piece of software or a plugin which is far more intelligent than just using a EQ filter.

I missed tons of notes and I never noticed the drop out as in past non-stem songs.
  • AnacondaAnaconda Opening Act
    IMHO I don't get what was the point in getting the long version of In A Gadda Da Vida into RB. Gameplay-wise it would make much more sense to get the short edit as it would be more pleasant to play and have any replayability in it. Right now its more like "let's buy it, play it once or two times in sake of weekly challenge and forget about it".
  • uppyb0tuppyb0t Opening Act
    Anaconda said:

IMHO I don't get what was the point in getting the long version of In A Gadda Da Vida into RB. Gameplay-wise it would make much more sense to get the short edit as it would be more pleasant to play and have any replayability in it. Right now its more like "let's buy it, play it once or two times in sake of weekly challenge and forget about it".

Or at least both.
  • Anaconda said:

I'm guessing you're one of those who would've preferred RB only getting 2112: Overture/The Temples of Syrinx than what actually happened?
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star

After playing, I say this is a good cause to support taps in long songs. I appreciate getting something to do during the break, thank you.

@HMXOwl could you please Please PLEASE beg the note charters to chart the percussion hits with some modicum of interest to them? 275-odd half-notes in a row with absolutely no variation is boring AF. And I'm one of the people that love the tambo/cowbell aspect of voacal charts! To me it seems like this percussion chart could've easily followed the bassline and had some actual fun to it, so instead of of

bonk... bonk... bonk... bonk... [ad infinitum]

It could've been something nice like

bonk... bonk... bonk/bonk... bonk... bonk... bonk.................. bonk... bonk/bonk/bonk... etc

And then some other little flourishes would fit in too.

Please bring it up, kind sir. It saddens me greatly to see this come out like this. Maybe if all the vox/tambo charters would play Green Grass & High Tides a few times as a refresher to what a tambo chart can be, it will give them something to aspire to in their creations, instead of just looking at the percussion sections as filler.

Thanks.
  • nystargatenystargate Unsigned
    I would have to say I don't like it the way it is.

I would have preferred there were no tambourine parts in that song. I bought a book with me to read during the breaks and 1 break had tambourine so I couldn't read my book.

If we have to have tambourine, then I would prefer a different pattern like Lordflatus suggested.

Also, why is it that one break has tambourine and the other does not?