What do you call the buttons closest to the middle of your Jag/Strat controller?

edited July 22 in Rock Band
Clearly I was incompetent in phrasing my poll about which 'frets' people like to use. So to make up for it -- What do you call those frets/buttons that are closest to the middle of your Jag/Strat Guitar/Bass controller?

What do you call the buttons closest to the middle of your Jag/Strat controller? 52 votes

"High Buttons/Frets"
9%
LoopyChewtdc002razor63AndyTheIndigoerTyrus1235 5 votes
"Solo Buttons/Frets"
65%
WingsOfSteellightsup55kanerulesdavidshekSmashManLordFlatusbonethug0108jenjen961Groudon199Mikey35wh1t3kn1tefiredoom666jaystonepkVladTepzBURNER247NavyCherubdinomandconrad23Meat-PopsicleMemoDLSG 34 votes
Something else - Or you have no special term for these
13%
ZigZag2005twistedoakLord_MhoramLuigiHannthatmarkguyPolterscheistIamtheplague 7 votes
Static-X - "Push It"
11%
uppyb0tXzalorDangimarockeritsyorakbrookfieldworldorderWildcat15 6 votes

Comments

• thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited July 22
    I usually refer to them as the Mini Frets. Because they're too tiny for me to comfortably use with my ape hands.

But I only have a passing acquaintance with them, I fulltime use a GH5 guitar.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    "High Buttons/Frets"
    Actually I tend to use "upper frets," but close enough.
  • wh1t3kn1tewh1t3kn1te Opening Act
    "Solo Buttons/Frets"
    due to the achievement description I call them solo buttons
  • bonethug0108bonethug0108 Headliner
    edited July 23
    "Solo Buttons/Frets"
    Nevermind. Confused this with the other poll.

I call them solo buttons precisely because of the confusion calling them high frets can cause (high as in location or as in pitch?; it confuses people).
  • brookfieldworldorderbrookfieldworldorder Opening Act
    edited July 23
    Static-X - "Push It"
    I've tried to call them, but they never return my calls.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    edited July 23
    "Solo Buttons/Frets"
    /thread

• firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    "Solo Buttons/Frets"

/thread

yeah that is pretty much my logic for calling them that
  • "High Buttons/Frets"

/thread

I was never much into necrogaming, but then again I still play Kinect games, so...

[thread]
  • davidshekdavidshek Community Playtester
    "Solo Buttons/Frets"

Nevermind. Confused this with the other poll.

I call them solo buttons precisely because of the confusion calling them high frets can cause (high as in location or as in pitch?; it confuses people).

Well, on a real guitar, those frets *would* be higher pitch too. So you'd still be right.

But on a RB guitar, they're the "solo buttons".
  • "Solo Buttons/Frets"
    Always called them solo buttons but really only use them for BRE a.k.a. spam the hell outta them and frantically try to get back to the regular buttons only to miss the final note. :D
  • "High Buttons/Frets"
    davidshek said:

But on a RB guitar, they're the "solo buttons".

/thread

HMX writes the tooltips and calls them 'high frets' in one of these tooltips, I'm pretty sure that makes 'high frets' an official term just like 'solo buttons' are.

End of the day, neither term is wrong because they have used both.

(CTA: I prefer "inner frets" because that location is pretty specific and those who haven't thoroughly read the controller manual could possibly figure it out. But then again, HMX has never called them that. :disappointed: )
  • Lord_MhoramLord_Mhoram Road Warrior
    I tend to call them "those buttons I don't use" - they are too small for me.
  • ZenzukiZenzuki Unsigned
    "Solo Buttons/Frets"
    Solo buttons or more appropriately for me... BRE buttons! Only use them for bre's as my fingers and hands are way too big to use them tiny things for anything else.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    "Solo Buttons/Frets"
    So no one plays freestyle solos anymore, eh? Yeah, me either. I only enabled them for the mission.
    "High Buttons/Frets"

So no one plays freestyle solos anymore, eh? Yeah, me either. I only enabled them for the mission.

I do from time to time. They're still fun. Why?
    "Solo Buttons/Frets"
    All the people saying "the BRE buttons" and "I never play those tiny buttons" leads me to deduce that those people don't play freestyle solos.
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    "Solo Buttons/Frets"
    I like Freestyle solos but I don't use them that often because I like seeing the FC symbol more...
  • Something else - Or you have no special term for these
    I call them the little buttons or the other buttons
  • edited July 27
    "Solo Buttons/Frets"
    I really liked that mission, I think it was called High Flyer? The one where you have to 100% 5 solos using the solo buttons, because there's that extra challenge (for me) of trying to switch from the regular outer buttons to the solo buttons without breaking a streak, destroying a solo without strumming (although I had to find songs without a lot of repeated notes, it worked so much easier with quickly shifting notes), and then trying to switch back again on a sustain or break. It was an extra element of fun on top, and I could see myself trying that more often in the future if I already broke combo earlier in the song.
    "High Buttons/Frets"
    derekhall said:

I really liked that mission, I think it was called High Flyer? The one where you have to 100% 5 solos using the solo buttons, because there's that extra challenge (for me) of trying switch from the regular outer buttons to the solo buttons without breaking a streak, destroying a solo without strumming (although I had to find songs without a lot of repeated notes, it worked so much easier with quickly shifting notes), and then trying to switch back again on a sustain or break. It was an extra element of fun on top, and I could see myself trying that more often in the future if I already broke combo earlier in the song.

I don't know if you need to ONLY tap, just use the upper frets instead of the lower frets. Obviously you'll need to avoid strumming on skittles, but long stretches of strumming should be okay as long as you're using the upper frets.
  • Something else - Or you have no special term for these
    I call them the big rock ending buttons.
  • LuigiHannLuigiHann Stormtrooper
    I call them "small buttons"
  • "High Buttons/Frets"
    As a note to this whole thing - LEGO Rock Band calls them "high frets" on one of its loading screen tips.
    "Solo Buttons/Frets"
    They are the "red" frets. The lower/outer/normal/closest_to_neck buttons are the "blue" frets.
  • edited August 5
    "High Buttons/Frets"
    HMXOwl said:

You're a monster, Flatus.

He truly gasses it. He's in my crew, so I know this fact for sure.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior

All the people saying "the BRE buttons" and "I never play those tiny buttons" leads me to deduce that those people don't play freestyle solos.

Or they play on a gh guitar and freestyle solos are all-red.