Probably discussed to death already, but questions about Skill Level

I'm trying to hit 900 and am stuck around 880 or so.
It seems you must FC 0 to 1 star songs for additional levels, but this seems to take 3 to 4 songs to gain a point.
For Devil tier, it seems you can get 3 stars for leveling.
I'm at a loss for the others, though.

Does anyone have any advice for the final 20 point push?

Comments

• nystargatenystargate Unsigned
    edited July 28
    Skill level only has to do with what difficulty you are playing on and how many stars you get.

Full combos do not have any impact on skill level.

The quickest way to improve your rating is to go back and gold star songs that you haven't gold starred already.

The next best way is to go back and play any songs on expert where you have high scores on lower difficulties. But note, you must beat the old score and have it post to the leaderboard or it won't count for your skill level calculation.

The only other way is to increase the stars on whatever difficulty you played the song on. So if you are showing 3 stars on an expert song, try to raise that up to 4 or 5 stars - the higher the better.
  • Thanks, though I don't know about that difficulty stuff--as I played one song on hard, 5-starred is and lost 6 SL points.

I played a few Impossible tier songs I hadn't played yet, got 3-4 stars and raised my SL to 884.
  • nystargatenystargate Unsigned
    Don't play any songs on lower difficulties if you can pass them on expert. A 4 star on expert is worth more than a 5 star on hard according to the skill rating formula.

Getting 5 stars on hard is a terrible thing for your skill rating. It just makes it harder to improve your skill rating in the future because now you will have to beat the score you got on hard with an expert score where other people can get a much lower score and improve their skill rating.
  • Yeah, found that out the hard way. And I'll never get 900... just played a few five star songs and I'm back to 881. :-( Oh, when plat Rivals will not be mine.
  • It took me forever, but I just got vocals up to 900 this week. On bass I just got to 896 this challenge as well (so close). My strategy is to just play weekly challenge songs for rivals xp (can't let crew down). I sort by stars and play anything that is 3 or 4 stars. Next I continue to look through my 5 star songs and look for easy, medium, or hard plays, and play those on expert next. Next I play 5 star and try to get them to gold (FC doesn't matter, but is nice for the extra xp). Last I play new songs that I am confident I will play well, but if I near the end of a new song not doing well, I might consider stopping as a bad score can bring your score down. That is why I play songs I haven't played last, as your score never goes down if you are improving old songs. In fact a new bad score, won't even post, so replay songs. I had played a lot before the rivals update (over 500 different songs played out of a thousand in my library) and I have kids, so some songs were played at lower difficulties on my account.

If you are looking to just get the achievement to pop, and have a similar issue as me (lots of songs played at low difficulty), consider playing an instrument that has very few songs played, and simply play one from each tier of difficulty on expert. I was lucky and had not used harmonies much and got the achievement in one night. I understand the drive to get a higher score just to have a higher score though as that is what I am doing now. "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming"
  • Thanks for the replies... I hit 900 bass today. Now I can go back to having fun.
  • MistressDeviantMistressDeviant Unsigned
    edited August 15
    Sorry to bring this back once more, but with the new mission added to obtain a 1000 skill level, I would now like some advice. I'm a vocalist who dances between 982 and 983 for nearly a year now. On the PS4, I'm ranked 210 overall. I compared my stats with my other vocalist friends who have 1000, and the only difference I can determine is that they own more songs. I also choose not to use ESF, though I know that could boost my scores and thus my leaderboard ranks. Besides these factors, is there anything else to be done to reach 1000 as a vocalist? All my stats are gold. My Brutal songs are in the double digits and I'm 7 songs away from reaching my 1000th. My current level is 78 and rising. Can the skill rise if these numbers increase?
  • I have 1000 skill level on PS4 and all the songs I have played are gold starred.

I have 999 skill level on X-Bone and I have 6 songs left to gold star.

I have not played all the songs in my library.

If all the songs you have played are gold starred, then I suspect you may have more than one non-gold star score on the Leaderboards. This could be due to a bad connection or Leaderboard wipe.
  • Sorry to bring this back once more, but with the new mission added to obtain a 1000 skill level, I would now like some advice. I'm a vocalist who dances between 982 and 983 for nearly a year now. On the PS4, I'm ranked 210 overall. I compared my stats with my other vocalist friends who have 1000, and the only difference I can determine is that they own more songs. I also choose not to use ESF, though I know that could boost my scores and thus my leaderboard ranks. Besides these factors, is there anything else to be done to reach 1000 as a vocalist? All my stats are gold. My Brutal songs are in the double digits and I'm 7 songs away from reaching my 1000th. My current level is 78 and rising. Can the skill rise if these numbers increase?

Have you ever played on Hard? If so, the problem could be that you have songs where your Hard score is higher than your Expert score. This is quite possible even if all your songs are showing as Gold Stars. Hard scores can frequently be higher than Gold Star scores. I still have a few I haven't been able to beat.

But no matter the reason, the only solution is to go through all your songs one by one and click through to the leaderboard and see what it has.
  • BaronRobBaronRob Unsigned

Sorry to bring this back once more, but with the new mission added to obtain a 1000 skill level, I would now like some advice. I'm a vocalist who dances between 982 and 983 for nearly a year now. On the PS4, I'm ranked 210 overall. I compared my stats with my other vocalist friends who have 1000, and the only difference I can determine is that they own more songs. I also choose not to use ESF, though I know that could boost my scores and thus my leaderboard ranks. Besides these factors, is there anything else to be done to reach 1000 as a vocalist? All my stats are gold. My Brutal songs are in the double digits and I'm 7 songs away from reaching my 1000th. My current level is 78 and rising. Can the skill rise if these numbers increase?

I don't think it has to do with number of songs, I have 1000 on Harmonies because my only Harms scores are FCs, but some of the people listed ahead of me have fewer.

I think you have to check your leaderboard scores and look for any where the score listed is a hard score that your expert score has not surpassed.

Never heard of level or brutal stats affecting it at all.

I am stuck at 998 on solo vox because I insist on saving Rainbow In The Dark, after randomly playing it on medium long ago.
  • twistedoaktwistedoak Unsigned
    edited August 16

Quantity doesn't matter, scores and techniques don't matter, the only thing that matters is gold stars for the 1000.

Simply put, if you have all gold stars and you have sang songs in all tiers of difficulty, you should be at 1000. I have over 2000 gold star songs on vocals, my friend has 20. Both of us have gold starred all the songs we sang and rest at 1000 skill, and he is actually ahead of me on the leaderboards for skill.

If you are at the same skill level as someone else, the tie is determined by a random number that was assigned to you when you started playing rock band 4. If you are ahead of someone on one leaderboard for a tie, you will forever be ahead of that person on any leaderboard which you are tied. If you are behind someone on a tie, you will forever be behind that person on any leaderboard which you are tied.

If your stats all show gold, there might be a reason you are not at 1000. Did you play a song that no longer shows up on your library? Did you sing on someone else's library and can't see that song anymore? Did you gold star before the leaderboard wipe and then not gold star it again after the leaderboard wipe? Some of the best vocalists out there don't have a 1000 skill for these two reasons.

A third reason is the score on hard difficulty overriding the expert score. If you are showing all golds, that shouldn't happen, but it's possible. I wish Harmonix would have put in a filter for songs that still need to be done to achieve a higher skill.
  • MistressDeviantMistressDeviant Unsigned
    edited August 17
    Okay, thank you so much for the explanation. The only hard scores I have are harmonies, I always play expert solo, but one of the singers I harmonize with prefers hard. I do understand the process better now, thanks to you, and I am planning on checking if there are any missing scores this week. I did actually drop from 983 to 982 initially because of the leaderboard wipes. The second time was when I added more vocalists to my friends list. It all makes sense now. Thank you so much for your help, it has just been frustrating, but I definitely feel better and have a plan now. BTW, I originally thought Brutal leaderboards count since I seemed to advance when my brutal song count surpassed my friends and the stat obtained the gold ribbon; I was relying on my stats in-game for an explanation completely, honestly. Thank you all! :)
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited August 19
    Does brutal mode affect skill rating at all? On harmonies the only songs I've played are Circles (gold stars on expert) and Hemorrhage (5 stars on brutal) so would I have to gold star Hemorrhage on brutal to get the 1000 skill rating or would gold starring a song from each difficulty except 4 dots (Circles is 4 dots) on expert do the trick?

EDIT: I found out my 5 star on brutal didn't count for skill rating.
  • Yeah, I think it was just the fact that adding those brutal songs to my stats put me ahead of one of my friends on the leaderboard. Ugh, statistics is not my strong suit.
  • baumpaulbaumpaul Unsigned
    The easiest way to check if you have any non-gold Star scores posted is by checking in the companion app. There it only shows you your stars and percentages based on the scores posted to the leaderboards, not the ones locally saved on your console
  • Thanks! Now all I need is a smartphone! :/ (Damn fixed income)