Music Recs 2K17

Don't think I've seen a thread of this yet, so I figured I'd try and open discussion about music you might have heard and liked that's been out recently. From rock, metal, jazz, hip hop, country, post-indie-death-ambient-reggae-novelty-electronica, just whatever you've liked nowadays that you'd like to recommend or talk to others about.

Comments

• Fjoergyn's new album is great semi-experimental black metal.

https://fjoergyn.bandcamp.com/album/lvcifer-es
  • Inside the Skull by Beastmaker, my favourite doom metal album of this year.

Now Howls the Beast from the album.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    I just picked up a Baby Driver vinyl. One of my favorite compilations in a long time.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    For all you indie kids who might be around, the new Grizzly Bear album that dropped today is dope. The new album by Everything Everything is pretty good too. King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard's new stuff is as cool as ever.

Going back over the past few weeks, the new Manchester Orchestra was beautiful, and Arcade Fire's latest effort received mixed reviews, but I liked it for the most part.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    If anyone else here is into really weird metal crossover genre stuff, I've recently gotten into a band called Igorrr, that mixes elements of death/black metal with breakbeat, opera, and whatever the hell else they can get their hands on. I've seen one site list their genres as "Cybergrind, Breakcore, and Modern Classical."

Here's an example song that I've been addicted to lately from their latest album, "Savage Sinusoid."

• thebipsnbeepsthebipsnbeeps Unsigned
    edited September 12
    I've been meaning to update this for a while to actually inject some of my thoughts.

Firstly, oooh, lovin the metal recs! I am so out of touch with where to even find interesting metal (let alone the fact that I'm generally overwhelmed about getting into it), it's nice to write some new suggestions down when I can. I've only listened to two metal albums this year, and of those I especially loved the new Pallbearer album Heartless.

I'll just throw my top 5 out so far:
    1. Magnetic Fields: 50 Song Memoirs, a nice little (uh actually 5 disc-long "little") indie pop record.
    2. Tyler, the Creator: Flower Boy, never been a fan of his music, but between his rapping and the neo-soul production I think he made not just his best work yet but also just some of the best hip hop this year period (mind, coming from a guy that actually likes Migos' new album a lot too lol)
    3. Low Cut Connie: Dirty Pictures, Pt. 1, a vastly underrated rock band, another great set of barroom-styled songs
    4. Otis Taylor: Fantasizing About Being Black, some great playing in here if you like blues music but even if you don't tend to follow it this could be a great icebreaker. Also probably the best political commentary of modern times too that folks a third of his age don't do as well.
    5. Kirin J. Callinan: Bravado, Frontman of the Year as far as I'm concerned.

Some songs from the list above: Revolution Rock n Roll from Low Cut Connie and Bravado from Kirin.
  • Out of the Voiceless Grave by The Lurking Fear.

It's a superband with members of At the Gates, The Crown, Disfear and Skitsystem. How much I awaited for this, I checked for updates since they announced the name of the band last year.
  • Soul Remnants' new album is quite good if you're into semi-experimental death metal.
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited November 4
    The new Enslaved album is amazing. Will also be planning on seeing them in 2018.
  • edited November 1
    New Trenchgrinder album, following what Bolt Thrower did back in the late 80s. Nice retro sound they have.

Here for some death metal with crust and grind influence.