Music Recs 2K17

Don't think I've seen a thread of this yet, so I figured I'd try and open discussion about music you might have heard and liked that's been out recently. From rock, metal, jazz, hip hop, country, post-indie-death-ambient-reggae-novelty-electronica, just whatever you've liked nowadays that you'd like to recommend or talk to others about.

• Fjoergyn's new album is great semi-experimental black metal.
  • Inside the Skull by Beastmaker, my favourite doom metal album of this year.

Now Howls the Beast from the album.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    I just picked up a Baby Driver vinyl. One of my favorite compilations in a long time.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    For all you indie kids who might be around, the new Grizzly Bear album that dropped today is dope. The new album by Everything Everything is pretty good too. King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard's new stuff is as cool as ever.

Going back over the past few weeks, the new Manchester Orchestra was beautiful, and Arcade Fire's latest effort received mixed reviews, but I liked it for the most part.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    If anyone else here is into really weird metal crossover genre stuff, I've recently gotten into a band called Igorrr, that mixes elements of death/black metal with breakbeat, opera, and whatever the hell else they can get their hands on. I've seen one site list their genres as "Cybergrind, Breakcore, and Modern Classical."

Here's an example song that I've been addicted to lately from their latest album, "Savage Sinusoid."

• thebipsnbeepsthebipsnbeeps Unsigned
    edited September 2017
    I've been meaning to update this for a while to actually inject some of my thoughts.

Firstly, oooh, lovin the metal recs! I am so out of touch with where to even find interesting metal (let alone the fact that I'm generally overwhelmed about getting into it), it's nice to write some new suggestions down when I can. I've only listened to two metal albums this year, and of those I especially loved the new Pallbearer album Heartless.

I'll just throw my top 5 out so far:
    1. Magnetic Fields: 50 Song Memoirs, a nice little (uh actually 5 disc-long "little") indie pop record.
    2. Tyler, the Creator: Flower Boy, never been a fan of his music, but between his rapping and the neo-soul production I think he made not just his best work yet but also just some of the best hip hop this year period (mind, coming from a guy that actually likes Migos' new album a lot too lol)
    3. Low Cut Connie: Dirty Pictures, Pt. 1, a vastly underrated rock band, another great set of barroom-styled songs
    4. Otis Taylor: Fantasizing About Being Black, some great playing in here if you like blues music but even if you don't tend to follow it this could be a great icebreaker. Also probably the best political commentary of modern times too that folks a third of his age don't do as well.
    5. Kirin J. Callinan: Bravado, Frontman of the Year as far as I'm concerned.

Some songs from the list above: Revolution Rock n Roll from Low Cut Connie and Bravado from Kirin.
  • Out of the Voiceless Grave by The Lurking Fear.

It's a superband with members of At the Gates, The Crown, Disfear and Skitsystem. How much I awaited for this, I checked for updates since they announced the name of the band last year.
  • Soul Remnants' new album is quite good if you're into semi-experimental death metal.
  • darkwinterbeast8darkwinterbeast8 Headliner
    edited November 2017
    The new Enslaved album is amazing. Will also be planning on seeing them in 2018.
  • edited November 2017
    New Trenchgrinder album, following what Bolt Thrower did back in the late 80s. Nice retro sound they have.

Here for some death metal with crust and grind influence.
  • MarlboroMarlboro Road Warrior
    White Reaper, Early Riser, st. vincent
  • thebipsnbeepsthebipsnbeeps Unsigned
    edited January 8
    Closing my book of the year by just throwing a top 20 list of albums I grew to love front to back, with an opinion shoved in here and there. I wish I got more into the metal recs that a lot of y'all threw out; I'm gonna still try and get to them, I just feel that I don't give that genre enough love (I will say @LiveHomeVideo I got to that Igorrr record finally, and holy toledo that thing is off the wall, it's truly incredible, and like the definition of "band with dynamic"). Alas, I love wussy indie stuff mostly.

1. Mount Eerie - A Crow Looked At Me (genuinely sad stuff, resonated with me more and more as the year went on)
    2. Big Thief - Capacity (in love with this band, I feel like everyone is so in tune with each other and hits truly cathartic moments)
    3. Foxygen - Hang (funnest music I listened to, has enough 70's rock clichés and eccentric personality that I inherently look for in music)
    4. Tyler, the Creator - Flower Boy
    5. Sampha - Process
    6. Randy Newman - Dark Matter
    7. SZA - Ctrl
    8. Alvvays - Antisocialites (I remember this band having some love in the Setlist forums for a little bit a couple of years back, feel like they outdid themselves and could stand toe to toe with their influences with this one)
    9. Benjamin Booker - Witness
    10. On Fillmore - Happiness of Living
    11. Migos - C U L T U R E
    12. Real Estate - In Mind (usually don't care much for this band, but felt like they punched up their sound and made a great Byrds-meets-Weezer-like collection of songs)
    13. Otis Taylor - Fantasizing About Being Black
    14. Gnoomes - Tschak!
    15. Bunny - Bunny
    16. Paramore - After Laughter
    17. Open Mike Eagle - Brick Body Kids Still Daydream
    18. Jesca Hoop - Memories Are Now
    19. Algiers - The Underside of Power
    20. Xiu Xiu - Forget
    I take any chance I get to pimp one of my fave bands, Canadian indie rock group Born Ruffians, and they just released a new album today called Uncle, Duke & The Chief, so check that out on your streaming site of choice.
  • If we're using this thread for 2k18 too

'18 is looking to be the best year so far for me in great new releases I'm knowledgable of before they're released.

So far I'm loving Summoning's With Doom We Come, In Vain's Currents (the special edition w/ two bonus tracks,) and Visigoth's Conqueror's Oath.

There are plenty more lined up that I'm interested in like Amorphis' new album with a tentative May release, Sigh's Heir to Despair, Vyre's Weltformel, Thy Catafalque's Geometria, Augury's, Aura Noir's, Vreid's, and Cor Scorpii's new albums among others.

I still haven't heard Watain's new album and I mean to, but I'll definitely get to it before year's end.

Summoning's new album is really epic/reverby synth/symphonic black metal. The final track is amazing and like their track from Oath Bound called "Land of the Dead" in terms of epicness. Good Middle-earth/Beleriand/dark fantasy lyrics.

In Vain will appeal to people who are into slightly progressive melodic black/death metal with a wide variety of vocal styles, many ethereal, beautiful clean vocals on this one and epic creative guitar moments.

Visigoth will appeal to people who are into heavy metal and power metal. It has a very strong vocalist, epic and powerful but not too cheesy. Many great guitar leads, and thoughtful instrument arrangements. Imo it's more consistent than their debut and has better production too. It's a grower too, so don't give up on one listen, though few would have bad first impressions, but it could go from being very good to absolutely amazing for many on subsequent listens is what I mean to get across.
  • @TheStuddz that Born Ruffians album was pretty great!! I remember listening to their last album Ruff and I just wasn't getting into it so much at the time, but something about this new one, I don't know, I felt their energy and think they wrote some real catchy songs this time around. So far one of my favorites this year. Speaking of Canada and indie bands, I'm really digging the new Ought album Room Inside the World, the tone's not as nervy as their past stuff but I felt they cranked out some of their most gorgeous tracks yet. If anything I recommend anybody listening to Desire.

And @MythsOfMetal I heard some good things about Watain and Summoning, definitely up there in metal I want to sink my teeth into. Thanks for letting me know Visigoth's coming out with something, I remember going back to "Mammoth Rider" often two or three years ago (I know it's probably inappropriate to say, but I thought their music video was kind of adorable in that it was obviously self-produced and almost seemed like a home movie of theirs), would love to get to know more power metal out there like that.

I'll make another thread just for 2018 music and carry the recs over there too, just for the sake of staying true to the title : P
    edited February 22
    Ought is really good, but I hadn't yet heard anything from their newest album. Just listened to "Desire" though, and it was incredible. Definitely giving the whole album a spin soon.

Also, @thebipsnbeeps just saw that you put Big Thief's Capacity at number two on your year-end list and I couldn't support that ranking more. I love the album so much, both of their albums are fantastic. I got to see them live in September, and though the band seemed disappointed with the turn-out and venue's dynamics, Adrianne's vocals and guitar-playing were as wonderful as ever.
  • This just might be my new favorite Mastodon song: