DLC Discussion Thread: Indie Hits and ALL of August Detailed!

edited August 8 in Rock Band
HMXOwl said:

Rock Band DLC Week of 8/03: Blondfire and The Shelters!

Summer’s a great time for high-energy indie, so we’re delivering songs from Blondfire and The Shelters this week to give your summer the soundtrack it deserves.

“True Confessions” is first up this week. The lead single off the latest Blondfire EP of the same name, “True Confessions” is a great way to introduce listeners to Erica Driscoll’s new style of heavier guitars and darker melodies. It’s even featured in Rock Band VR, where you can craft your own guitar line. The harmonies are quick to learn, while a disco beat keeps the energy high. There’s also a dance bassline running through the song that gives the whole thing a nice groove.

Rebecca’s Take:
Rebecca Potter, Brand Manager

Woah. There is something instantly catchy about this tune with its sultry, intimate vocals and an up-tempo drum beat with hi-hat for daaaaays. It reminds me of the songs I used to belt out in my high school best friend’s sea foam green convertible in the late ‘90s. “True Confessions” is a mid-summer dream. Try it on voxtar, just like Erica.

To make a night of it, build a setlist with anything from Depeche Mode Pack 01, Metric “Combat Baby”, and New Order “Bizarre Love Triangle”. And get some of those orange sherbet push-up pops – you know the ones! – they are frickin’ delicious. Just like this Blondfire track.

The Shelters’ song “Rebel Heart” is another track coming to Rock Band 4 from Rock Band VR. The lead single from their self-titled debut (which was co-produced by Tom Petty), “Rebel Heart” is one of many examples of The Shelters’ throwback, heartland-tinged sound. Twin guitars and harmonies permeate every track on the album. The guitar riff in “Rebel Heart” has an iconic sound, and the solo is great to play. All the instruments are swung in this track, meaning everyone will be working together to carry the song along.

Daniel’s Take:
Daniel Sussman, Product Manager, Rock Band

A short list of things I love:

• I love tasty guitar – melodic riffs that stick in my head without being overly showy
  • I love big 12 string guitar riffs
  • I love catchy-as-[heck] hooks
  • I love lyrics about girls and boys who don’t play by the rules
“Rebel Heart” has all of these things and is a song I love. I heard it for the first time on the Rock Band VR soundtrack and am wicked excited to see it come to Rock Band 4 as DLC. If you are anything like me, you will love this song too.

Songs can be purchased individually for $1.99 each.
  • Blondfire - "True Confessions"
  • The Shelters - "Rebel Heart"

We’ll be showing off this week’s newest DLC on our Twitch stream today starting at 5PM ET. Tune in here!

* Please note that this week’s DLC tracks will be available for purchase on Thursday, August 3rd.

The full list of content coming to Rock Band in August is as follows:
  • Arctic Horrors – “Black Seas” (Free DLC for Rock Band Rivals owners)
  • The Black Cheers – “(You’re) Breakin’ Up” (Free DLC for Rock Band Rivals owners)
  • Blondfire – “True Confessions”
  • Catfish And The Bottlemen – “Postpone”
  • Garbage – “Stupid Girl”
  • Parks – “Sweater Weather” (Free DLC for Rock Band Rivals owners)
  • The Shelters – “Rebel Heart”
  • Spirit Kid – “To My Romeo” (Free DLC for Rock Band Rivals owners)
  • Sugar Ray – “Every Morning”
  • Ted Nugent – “Stranglehold”

Comments

• TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited August 1
    Indie "hits"? Oh well, two more VR tracks out of the way. I'll check them out.

Edit: Upon listening to the preview, I'll get them both. They probably won't get much (or any) party play, but they sound good enough for those few times when I play alone.
  • Cool, 2 more VR songs obtained! Is there a DLC tease this month?
  • edited August 1
    Not a bad week, at least it's 2 decent songs. Getting both.
  • Also I imagine a possible California/LA theme in the Spotlight Challenge.

So, yeah, sounds fun.
  • uppyb0tuppyb0t Opening Act
    edited August 1
    Who?

One wants to be Meighan Trainor, the other is a weak Arkells.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    Reminds me of the early days when Rock Band would release more underground acts. Diggin' this week on the discovery front.
  • I was already planning on picking up Rebel Heart and True Confessions sounds like it'll be worth a pick up as well now that I'm listening to it.
  • Cool, when do we find out the rest of the month?
  • uppyb0t said:

Who?

One wants to be Meghan Trainor, the other is a weak Arkells.

+1 for referencing a Canadian band we won't get possibly ever.
  • Sorta anti-climatic for DLC Choices for the final Season 1 Weekly Challenge.

Kinda hoping for The Final Countdown, since it was more fitting, but whatever... I'll pick them up if they're Spotlight Songs. ;)

Weekly Challenge Theme for this week

Indie Darlings (Play Songs of the Indie Rock Genre)
    - Albert (Eddie Japan)
    - Alive (The Temper Trap)
    - Rebel Heart (The Shelters)

or Alternatively

California, Rock in Peace (Play Songs from California Bands)
    - Rebel Heart (The Shelters)
    - Tongue Tied (Grouplove)
    - True Confessions (Blondfire)

Hear's hoping that more DLC will be leaked this week. :)
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    i really liked Blondfire back when they were called Astaire, and this song sounds really good, so it's a definite pick up. the other song didn't impress me.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    "Rebel Hearts" sounded pretty good but others on my wishlist take priority. No interest in the first song though.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    I'm getting a more Metric vibe than a Megahuhaun (that's how you spell it right?) Trainor.
  • My challenge prediction is a look back to the fantastic 2012 game Rock Band Blitz given it's being delisted August 28th.

Rock Band Blitz (Play songs by Rock Band Blitz artists)
    Fall Out Boy - "Centuries"
    Iron Maiden - "The Wicker Man"
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Give It Away"
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    While I'm glad Rock Band is paying attention to lesser known acts again, these particular ones aren't my thing
  • 3pic81ueUnicorn3pic81ueUnicorn Not Active Enough
    This week's songs are good, but they're nothing to get excited about. I'm sure they're better than getting wisdom teeth removed, so that's a good thing!
  • thewickedchildthewickedchild Opening Act
    Been waiting for Rebel Heart to show up since I listened to it when I saw it on the VR soundtrack.

Can't remember the other one, but sounds decent in the preview. May pick that up as well if the charts look good.
  • VolTRHVolTRH Opening Act
    I never got around to listening to the VR songs that I didn't know, but these two sound pretty good (especially Blondfire!) so I'll be grabbing both.

That setlist suggestion for Blondfire is hella good and will definitely be doing the exact same one when I pick up these songs.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    Rock Band VR songs = pretty much certain to use full stems = a Meaty purchase
  • KainKain Unsigned
    Would have preferred Where The Kids Are or Waves, but glad to have Blondfire regardless.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    Witticus said:

I'm getting a more Metric vibe than a Megahuhaun (that's how you spell it right?) Trainor.

This. So much this. Way more Emily Haines here than Meghan Trainor. This song would not have been out of place on either of Metric's most recent two albums.

In the absence of getting any actual new/recent Metric (youtube "Forget Why") or Haines' new Broken Social Scene tracks ("Protest Song" is fantastic) or Haines' new 'solo' (Soft Skeleton) stuff (seek "Fatal Gift" and "The Planets")... this will suffice.

It's pretty rare that I listen to a song unknown to me for the first time in a Rock Band announcement preview and immediately know I have to buy it, but that happened here.
  • patl175patl175 Unsigned
    edited August 1
    Hmm, so how many new tracks left from vr because at this rate, im scared we will be getting months of only rewind tracks and that would not be cool for longtime rb player like myself, but still 2 new tracks means 2 more buys for me so its a good week
  • @patl175 There's 15 RBVR songs that aren't on the main platform yet and 14 RBVR songs which are rewinds as of 3rd August.
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    hmm I don't think I care much for either of those songs
  • Since I got RB Blitz, I'll skip two weeks of DLC. I am glad I'm not missing much this week lol
  • I'll wait for the livestream before I decide whether to buy these.
  • Meh.
  • I might grab Rebel Heart. Can't decide. Have total slowed down on my RB playing lately. I used to put 40+ hours weekly into the game (especially back in the RB3 days) but now it's lucky to hit 1-2 hours.