DLC Discussion Thread: Indie Hits and ALL of August Detailed!

Comments

• These aren't terrible from the preview so they're not gonna get Zoidberg'd but the game itself is no longer good enough to buy this sort of thing anymore. Even if it was I'd be expecting these to cost $1. If the game was still RB 2 quality I'd probably buy the first one right now and the second when it was a dollar. If it was still RB 3 quality I'd buy both for a dollar. RB 4? Pass.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    This is not my kind of week, both of these songs are rather meh, with Rebel Heart being rather annoying. But that's okay, there seems to be other people enjoying it, so hope everyone has fun!
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    Well, they were already in Rock Band VR, so ....
    But I doubt anybody welcomed them to Rock Band back when that game was released. Nice job. Good doggy.
  • Lord_MhoramLord_Mhoram Road Warrior
    Really liked True Confessions, and will likely get the other one too.
  • razor63razor63 Unsigned
    Something something cool for those who like it, something something not for me True Confessions is good, and Blondfire is good, something something will buy back catalog it. Probably.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    Really like True Confessions. That drum track is gonna kill me, but I love the sound.

Rebel Heart is all right.

Think I'll grab both, but primarily psyched for TC.
  • I'm into it! I had heard their albums before the announcement, and liked them enough. Kind of odd to call them hits when they aren't that well known. I wish they would release more popular indie rock as that is where a lot of rock action has been happening over the last two decades, but the splintering of interests also makes it harder to unite opinions on a hot new BandCamp artist. Nevertheless getting more Death Cab, Shins, Modest Mouse, and Metric would certainly elicit less "who?"s from people. But I will still take this for sure!
  • derekhall said:

I'm into it! I had heard their albums before the announcement, and liked them enough. Kind of odd to call them hits when they aren't that well known. I wish they would release more popular indie rock as that is where a lot of rock action has been happening over the last two decades, but the splintering of interests also makes it harder to unite opinions on a hot new BandCamp artist. Nevertheless getting more Death Cab, Shins, Modest Mouse, and Metric would certainly elicit less "who?"s from people. But I will still take this for sure!

Your mention of Modest Mouse renews my wishes to see Float On as a Rewind! It's a song that hooks you in from start to end (that catchy riff at the beggining is... well... catchy and the vocals during the chorus get stuck in your head too).
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited August 2
    Tyrus1235 said:

derekhall said:

I'm into it! I had heard their albums before the announcement, and liked them enough. Kind of odd to call them hits when they aren't that well known. I wish they would release more popular indie rock as that is where a lot of rock action has been happening over the last two decades, but the splintering of interests also makes it harder to unite opinions on a hot new BandCamp artist. Nevertheless getting more Death Cab, Shins, Modest Mouse, and Metric would certainly elicit less "who?"s from people. But I will still take this for sure!

Your mention of Modest Mouse renews my wishes to see Float On as a Rewind! It's a song that hooks you in from start to end (that catchy riff at the beggining is... well... catchy and the vocals during the chorus get stuck in your head too).
    Would make a good thematic pairing with inevitable RBVR port "Float" by Switchfoot.

There is such a thing as 'too easy for spotlight' (or at least, there should be). This past week's
    spotlights illustrated there's very little difference between an elite player's score on a track like "Hold On", and a merely good export player's score (they can all FC it with ease and the paths make only a small difference) - placing the entirety of the spotlight score differences between crews on the other songs (or this week, song - there were two cakewalks). I think it's better when at least two, if not all three, songs are challenging enough that there is actually ground to make up in all the week's songs, that songs don't just 'zero out' because of being too easy.
  • @thatmarkguy I think it depends on where in the season to be honest. Being challenge 7 out of 8, multiple easier songs don't matter much as the elite players have already promoted to the max tier and given HMX hasn't told us the rewards for season 1 yet individual position doesn't seem to matter either.

If we look at season 1 so far:

Challenge 1 - Tribute, Killing is Just a Means, Joker and the Thief
    Challenge 2 - Call Me Maybe, Zombie, I Bet My Life
    Challenge 3 - Freewill, Go Your Own Way, Cold Clear Light
    Challenge 4 - Down With the Sickness, Black Corridor, Cirice
    Challenge 5 - In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, Clint Eastwood, Halls of Valhalla
    Challenge 6 - She, Light Up the Night, The Warrior
    Challenge 7 - New Slang, Hold On, At Night in Dreams

The challenging songs came in when they needed to be in.

• djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    I think they raised the threshold to get to Bloodstone this week as it was 90 (probably to account for people already being there).

Last week, I think you only needed 85 (against harder competition of course). This coming week, perhaps this goes up again? 95?
  • edited August 2
    HELL YEAH STRANGLEHOLD

HERE IT COMES AGAIN NOW, BABY
  • Tom ImpTom Imp Road Warrior
    So pumped for Ted Nugent, but weren't you guys against putting him in the game not too long ago because of his political affiliation?
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    Tom Imp said:

So pumped for Ted Nugent, but weren't you guys against putting him in the game not too long ago because of his political affiliation?

Many were, not me though. Great tune. Definitely the highlight of the month. Stupid Girl should be fun too.
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    I am excited for Catfish And The Bottlemen and Sugar Ray, and more free songs are always great

the rest I don't care much for
  • razor63razor63 Unsigned
    More Garbage is always welcome. Sugar Ray sounds that good kinda bad, and Catfish is a maybe. Wouldn't touch Nugent with a 10 foot sterilized barge pole.
    edited August 2
    I do think there's a subtle difference in terminology between "Political affiliation" and "Making public proclamations suggesting assassination of leaders of political parties".

You know, tomayto, tomahto.
  • No Rewinds again, bummer... :(

But yay, more free songs! And yay, the free songs are the Boston-based Bands in Rock Band VR! And also, yay, more VR Songs! :)

And holy effing cow! I never thought we'd get a Ted Nugent song. Especially since mostly everyone thought since it'd be impossible, due to political reasons, it proves to show that Harmonix will overlook that fact. And double yay, that the song is one from a Guitar Hero game, too! :)

And triple yay, after being passed on for 16-years, we finally get Sugar Ray! Sweet! Bring on Fly or Someday next! :D

And quad-triple yay, a new Garbage Song to join Why Do You Love Me?, and bonus, it's a song from the 1990s, too! :D

In spite of the fact that there's no Rewinds, I'm looking forward to the Free VR Tracks. :)
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned

I do think there's a subtle difference in terminology between "Political affiliation" and "Making public proclamations suggesting assassination of leaders of political parties".

You know, tomayto, tomahto.

I don't condone violence against cops or burning down Korean-owned shops but I would love me some N.W.A. In Rock Band too.

Nugent is a nut case no doubt but you don't have to agree with his opinions to enjoy one of his songs. Or you can boycott him. You get to decide, that is the beauty of it.

• LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    Ted is a certified nutjob, but his early stuff is pure rock-n-roll gold. I'd love a pack with the over-played Cat Scratch Fever and deep cut Snakeskin Cowboy.
  • WoodenGloryWoodenGlory Unsigned
    edited August 2
    Thoughts on newly announced DLC songs for the month:

Postpone- OK, but again, no Kathleen.
    Stupid Girl- Great to see more Garbage, but Only Happy When It Rains, Queer and When I Grow Up send their regards.
    Every Morning- Sugar Ray....is a thing. Would've thought their first choice would be Fly or When It's Over but whatever.
    Stranglehold- Great guitar solos vs. things I won't get into. I'll still get it, but...I dunno how to phrase that. Cat Scratch Fever beckons now.
    The Boston bands from VR- Figured these would be free DLC (since there's no new update at the moment).
    And that's the month!

So:

8/10:
    Sugar Ray and Garbage ('90s songs), maybe throw in Postpone for a three -song week

8/17:
    Two Boston Bands (free for Rivals owners)

8/24:
    The other two Boston Bands that didn't get released the week prior (free for Rivals owners)

8/31:
    Stranglehold (because that fits the one-song week mold)
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited August 2
    Mostly very good picks, glad to finally have even more RBVR songs and those 90s picks are very good. Keep up the fast pace of RBVR songs and export owners can finally have the whole RBVR setlist by October!

As for my predictions:

8/10 - Boston RBVR artists and update
    The Black Cheers - "(You're) Breaking Up"
    Arctic Horror - "Black Seas"
    Parks - "Sweater Weather"
    Spirit Kid - "To My Romeo"

8/17 - 1 song
    Catfish and the Bottlemen - "Postpone"

8/24 - 90s
    Sugar Ray - "Every Morning"
    Garbage - "Stupid Girl"

8/31 - 1 song
    Ted Nugent - "Stranglehold"
  • MemoDLSGMemoDLSG Opening Act
    Yes to finally more Garbage; hoped if we got a Garbage track it would be "Only Happy When it Rains" but this rocks too. Insta-buy.

Free DLC: sure, why not? I'll listen to them later.

Catfish and the Bottlemen are cool, that song goes on the rainy-day list.

Don't recognize the other tracks; might listen to them later (probably in the preview for the week they're released).
  • Groudon199Groudon199 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
    What is that grating noise in the pre-chorus of "Stupid Girl" that completely ruins the song?

What is that grating noise in the pre-chorus of "Stupid Girl" that completely ruins the song?

Wikipedia says:
    Marker and Vig then added in elements of ambient sound effects throughout the audio mix; including the "glitchy" sound of a broken DAT player used during the pre-chorus.
  • What is that grating noise in the pre-chorus of "Stupid Girl" that completely ruins the song?

Wikipedia says:
    Marker and Vig then added in elements of ambient sound effects throughout the audio mix; including the "glitchy" sound of a broken DAT player used during the pre-chorus.
    Aka....

Alt-charting for guitar :p

(Sorry, but that sounds like it could happen).
  • I'll be grabbing everything else this month. Disagree 100% with Nugent and his psychotic stances but stranglehold is definitely the highlight this month in terms of fun in RB
  • Groudon199Groudon199 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds

Wikipedia says:
    Aka....

Alt-charting for guitar :p

(Sorry, but that sounds like it could happen).
    Well, that would definitely make it easier to listen to (assuming it uses proper stems).
  • WoodenGloryWoodenGlory Unsigned
    edited August 2

Mostly very good picks, glad to finally have even more RBVR songs and those 90s picks are very good. Keep up the fast pace of RBVR songs and export owners can finally have the whole RBVR setlist by October!

As for my predictions:

8/10 - Update; no songs because it's an update :p

8/17 - 5 songs (4 free for Rivals owners)
    The Black Cheers - "(You're) Breaking Up"
    Arctic Horror - "Black Seas"
    Parks - "Sweater Weather"
    Spirit Kid - "To My Romeo"
    Catfish and the Bottlemen - "Postpone"

8/24 - 90s
    Sugar Ray - "Every Morning"
    Garbage - "Stupid Girl"

8/31 - 1 song
    Ted Nugent - "Stranglehold"