DLC Discussion Thread: Indie Hits and ALL of August Detailed!

Comments

• RaccoonaticRaccoonatic Unsigned
    edited August 6
    jjdude1 said:

You guys are trying to explain Honey I'm Good, but I'm here trying to figure out why Grammy winning 'Cirice' by Ghost is part of the challenge this week...

And that would also rule out it being least played songs, since that was a Spotlight song once - I'm sure that bumped up its play count. It's not deep cuts/B sides because there are a number of hit main singles. It's not sales, I realized, because the Mana song from Rock Band 3 is on the list (which you cannot buy separately). It simply must be different songs chosen for different reasons. Or... they picked someone in the office and said, hey, what songs don't you have in your library? :p

Edit P.S.: Wow, Radio Free Europe is on the list. I guess it does fit lesser known song criteria (for the mainstream), technically. But it is such an important, landmark song in the history of alternative music, it's weird to see it there.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    Random guess: they sorted their office dev systems by play count and put the songs with the fewest plays in the challenge. Would partially explain why the list includes only real obscurities among longtime dlc but some fairly well-known but really-recent dlc.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior

Or... they picked someone in the office and said, hey, what songs don't you have in your library? :p

Too many disc and export songs for that. More likely to be like I suggested above - 'What songs in your RB4 library still have 0 plays?'

Eve still that would require someone who hasn't even bothered playing most of the indie RB4 disc songs...
  • RaccoonaticRaccoonatic Unsigned
    edited August 6
    Yeah. That is possible, would still be weird that spotlight songs could end up being least played.

Just noticed another hit, Still the One by Orleans. Technically, Dance With Me is a bigger hit but I think it would be a toss up if you asked most people what the bigger song was (somewhat like the Fire/Love Rollercoaster situation). It's odd something like a classic rock radio staple gets flagged but Cream and Bastards Rise didn't, for instance.

And I want to be clear, this is all driven purely by curiosity, inquisitiveness. I'm not judging or complaining that I have these as song choices for the challenge. I really don't mind that.
  • I think some of the songs were chosen just because they are relatively recent releases and the general public haven't been hammered with them for years yet. I'd say Kings of Leon - Waste a Moment and Ghost fall into this subset. While others are deep cuts from famous albums, and others are lesser hits from well known artists, and some are just plain lesser known artists. It's all reflective of the many ways to have songs be "new to you."
  • thewickedchildthewickedchild Opening Act
    I'm not really sure what thread to complain about it in, but this challenge just served to reinforce the dire need for a rivals challenge filter for online play.

It was absurd trying to find challenge songs to play when there were over 1200 songs available between us, but only 80 or so that were from the challenge.

The last thing I want to do is scroll through that many songs trying to find ANY challenge song, let alone one I actually wanted to play...
  • Looking back at season 1, here's my rankings of them:
    1. Nick's Picks
    2. Deep Cuts
    3. Not Microwave Safe
    4. Ready to Rock?
    5. Harmonix's Choice Cuts
    6. Long Way to the Top
    7. You Got This
    8. Let the Music Set You Free

All the challenges had their good points and the best way to improve Rivals mode for season 2 is a weekly challenge filter. For example while Deep Cuts is my 2nd favourite challenge of season 1, it's really annoying searching for eligible songs when playing online.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    edited August 7
    Deep Cuts is by far the worst. Didn't bother playing because only a handful of songs I remotely like - and that's being generous!

On the plus side, I saved money this week. Nothing I really wanted on my wishlist that was a challenge song.

Edit- I would rank but not sure what is what just based on the title (without the underlying theme) but last week's may have been my favorite. So many good songs to pick from.
  • Looking back at season 1, here's my rankings of them:
    1. Nick's Picks
    2. Deep Cuts
    3. Not Microwave Safe
    4. Ready to Rock?
    5. Harmonix's Choice Cuts
    6. Long Way to the Top
    7. You Got This
    8. Let the Music Set You Free

All the challenges had their good points and the best way to improve Rivals mode for season 2 is a weekly challenge filter. For example while Deep Cuts is my 2nd favourite challenge of season 1, it's really annoying searching for eligible songs when playing online.

I unfortunately put Deep Cuts last. This week was not what I expected. Besides "Cirice", I was surprised to see "Heaven Knows", which is The Pretty Reckless' best known song versus "Follow Me Down", which would've been my choice. The phrase "deep cuts" also gave me the impression that there would be lesser known songs by more famous bands included, especially given that there are full albums available from Foo Fighters, RHCP, Judas Priest, Pearl Jam and Pantera. Also, "Junkies For Fame" is a B-side from Shinedown, I'd say that qualifies. Without these considerations my selection came down to only 48 out of over 900 tracks, which did make for an incredibly tedious experience online. I agree, there should be a filter to isolate the theme tracks in this mode. Additionally, it has been an experience for several players in the crew that that in order for the "R" to appear at all, you first have to enter rivals mode and the play songs list and then enter the green room.

As a whole though, this season hasn't been that bad. My ranking would be:

1. Not Microwave Safe
    2. You Got This
    3. Ready to Rock?
    4. Nick's Picks
    5. Long Way to the Top
    6. Choice Cuts
    7. Let the Music Set You Free
    8. Deep Cuts
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited August 7
    HMX is aware of the leaderboard issue.

@MistressDeviant RBVR could be a factor regarding songs like Heaven Knows so like "maybe you missed this gem from the RBVR setlist that got released for RB4".
  • How about we just ask @HMXOwl.
  • What's the issue with the leaderboards?
  • screammachinescreammachine Opening Act
    Ted Nugent its about bloody time.
  • UndrtakerUndrtaker Unsigned
    More Garbage!!!!!!!!!!!
    And I mean it in the good way