Introducing the Rock Band Season 2 Spotlight Pass!

edited September 5 in Rock Band
Brand new to Rock Band this month – a season pass to select, new Rock Band DLC. Each week for the duration of the season (eight weeks), players who purchase the Season 2 Spotlight Pass will be granted a permanent entitlement to whichever new release is featured as a Spotlight Song in that week’s Rivals Mode challenge (a total of eight songs). The Season 2 Spotlight Pass will cost $13.49 and be available for purchase beginning August 24 on both Xbox One and PlayStation®4 for the duration of Rivals Season 2, which ends on October 17, 2017.

Comments

• CAL022CAL022 Opening Act
    What's the UK price?
  • CAL022 said:

What's the UK price?

It's an 8-pack price, so whatever U2 Essentials costs over there. I always get redirected to the American store.
  • ArcanonArcanon Rising Star
    LeCH24 said:

Good deal for people who compulsively buy everything.

Damn straight.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    Interesting.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    LeCH24 said:

Good deal for people who compulsively buy everything.

Agree, a little riskier for the rest of us. We can always wait until later in the promotion to see what the songs will be but that would mean waiting if a song you had to have comes out early.

• WoodenGloryWoodenGlory Unsigned
    edited August 2
    So from the end of August to mid-October, how many new songs would this theoretically cover?

Over/under 12?

Not counting rewinds of course, but this MIGHT prove to be useful and/or a future precedent for other things.
  • ixnayixnay Unsigned

So from the end of August to mid-October, how many new songs would this theoretically cover?

Over/under 12?

Not counting rewinds of course, but this MIGHT prove to be useful and/or a future precedent for other things.

HMXOwl said:

(a total of eight songs)

• Kolma_Kolma_ Unsigned

Over/under 12?

8 songs.
    Savings of $2.49
    Doesn't really hint of anything as we could always get DLC that isn't a spotlight song
  • @LeCH24 Only if there's no packs as DLC in that season. It may be more expensive to buy everything if there's packs. Take for example those physical track packs. Track Pack 2 makes Disturbed 01, The Cars (album), Doolittle (album), Screaming For Vengeance (album), etc. more expensive.

But still it's a good option for those whose main DLC purchases are spotlight songs.
  • FadeToOneFadeToOne Unsigned
    I'd probably be in for $10 bucks. $13.49 doesn't really strike me as much savings, considering I'm liable not to like half the songs anyway.
  • ixnay said:

Over/under 12?

HMXOwl said:

(a total of eight songs)

I know, the math can be a bit confusing at first.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited August 2
    Can it be assumed the 8 songs in question here are non-rewind (I expect so but it could bear a clear statement)? People who already own exports may be hesitant on this if their 'savings' are swallowed up by being re-entitled to a song they already have.

All such DLC to be $2 DLC? In the past season we've seen the 'new DLC challenge song' be both higher (In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida) and lower (She) than the usual DLC price point.
  • CAL022CAL022 Opening Act
    HMXOwl said:

CAL022 said:

What's the UK price?

It's an 8-pack price, so whatever U2 Essentials costs over there. I always get redirected to the American store.
    That be £10.79 then
  • Hmm. Interesting. It is a bit risky, though. My tastes in music are incredibly eclectic, more so than most people I know, but even I would be concerned that some of the songs might be ones I don't like or wouldn't buy. I'll probably just buy songs as I want them, only would cost 3 dollars more for the same 8 songs (and that's if I did end up wanting them all)
  • It's an interesting way of getting around the "Season Pass" idea.
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    hmm interesting... it is probably not worth it to me since I am kinda picky for my songs, and if I don't like a song it being a spotlight won't change that.

But this is a good deal for those who like to play spotlight songs
  • DALRNxxDALRNxx Unsigned
    Doesn't Season 2 start on August 10th?
    edited August 2

It's an interesting way of getting around the "Season Pass" idea.

To me, it's an interesting way of getting around the "We can't just make DLC bundles of random artists for a discount, we need to contact the artists and make sure they agree to being in the bundle" rule. This is 8 tracks bought as one purchase for a reduced price - it's effectively a pack, just not all-made-available-on-the-same-day.

It will be funny if the first pseudo-bundle brings together musicians who you just KNOW would be ones who would have opposed bundling with one another. Like if Ted Nugent and Pearl Jam wind up being bundlemates.
  • I like this idea but haven't even been playing the spotlight/rivals aspect. If this included new trophies or something I'd say heck yeah
    edited August 2

I like this idea but haven't even been playing the spotlight/rivals aspect. If this included new trophies or something I'd say heck yeah

Even if you don't care about spotlight/rivals, this basically is "Prepay for one song a week for 8 weeks, and save a few bucks". There is added incentive for the Rivals-addicted who also get to know that the song they get included is the one they might have felt obligated to buy to post Rivals spotlight scores, but even for nonrivals owners, it's a discount plan, if you're the type of player who was likely to buy most or all of 8 new tracks in 8 weeks anyway.
  • @DALRNxx It's possible that HMX do the same thing other companies like Blizzard (Overwatch) do and have a gap between seasons.
  • It's an interesting way of getting around the "Season Pass" idea.

To me, it's an interesting way of getting around the "We can't just make DLC bundles of random artists for a discount, we need to contact the artists and make sure they agree to being in the bundle" rule. This is 8 tracks bought as one purchase for a reduced price - it's effectively a pack, just not all-made-available-on-the-same-day"

It will be funny if the first pseudo-bundle brings together musicians who you just KNOW would be ones who would have opposed bundling with one another. Like if Ted Nugent and Pearl Jam wind up being bundlemates.
    "I don't like to make political statements"

*Music keeps playing*

Jonathan Coulton fans get the joke

Almost like one of those "Track Pack" discs Harmonix used to make. Kind of.
  • MemoDLSGMemoDLSG Opening Act
    edited August 2

It's an interesting way of getting around the "Season Pass" idea.

To me, it's an interesting way of getting around the "We can't just make DLC bundles of random artists for a discount, we need to contact the artists and make sure they agree to being in the bundle" rule. This is 8 tracks bought as one purchase for a reduced price - it's effectively a pack, just not all-made-available-on-the-same-day.

My guess is this is not "sell an 8-pack and figure out which songs are in it later" situation. HMX most likely already knows all 8 songs included even if they're revealed and released week by week. And most likely, licensing the songs as a pack includes having all artists (or maybe not artists but at least labels) to agree to be in the pack with the others.

-----

This is a super interesting idea and makes sense for people super-into the Rivals mode, and probably some others. I'm not sure they'd do it, but I'd hope we get which 8 songs are included when they start selling this, so that people like me who are *not* super-into Rivals mode can decide if it's worth it. Otherwise what I'd probably do is even if it includes a song that I'm super into, I'd wait until all songs are confirmed (or at least 2 songs are confirmed that I definitely won't buy) before buying either the song itself or the pack. Though I guess that doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

I wonder if the 8 songs would include Rewind songs; probably not as that would mean that some people might buy repeats without noticing. (But could you confirm @HMXOwl ?)

As for the "might be cheaper if some songs are in multiple packs", that may be the case, if there are big-enough packs, but recent DLC makes me doubt that. And if a song in this pack ends up in another 3-pack, 8-pack + 2 singles = $17.50, while 3-pack + 7 singles = $19.50, so you'd still come out ahead buying the 8-pack (if you care about getting everything, of course).
  • WoodenGloryWoodenGlory Unsigned
    edited August 2
    This would also be a tricky situation for those that win a code for one of the DLC songs on the Twitch stream.

Because if a song is included in this kind of bundle, how would that work? You may still have to buy the remaining ones individually.
  • Too risky really esp when your low on money as it is, to risk paying for 8 songs and having no idea what they are, you might hate all 8 songs. Love the game but just be nice to have DLC sales every now and again, years ago over 1000 tracks were on sale and i thought at some point the next 1000 would be. Also had no idea some of the tracks i hadn't got round to buying as i dont have much money have been removed now as well.
  • razor63razor63 Unsigned
    Good for those who buy large amounts, but I'd be hesitant to invest in this. Whilst the saving is a fair percentage, I'd personally have to know what I was getting upfront in order to get behind this. It's the same reason I wouldn't buy a season pass immediately, only for a game I really liked, and one where I could get the SP at a later date once I'm aware of all the content included.
  • yoann007yoann007 Unsigned
    Love the idea (it's kind of a semi-subscription service for new DLCs), but the savings seem pretty slim.
    I mean, 8 songs at $1.99 each = $15.92. You save $2.43 by buying the season pass.

If there's more than one song you're not interested in by season, it's not worth it.

I guess that's mainly for the completionists who buy every song, no matter what.
  • I'll buy it once I finish my third week of Chores.

I think this is a wonderful idea. After all, my reason for playing Rock Band is to discover new bands and songs that I might like in the future. It's my reason for supporting Rock Band. :)