Introducing the Rock Band Season 2 Spotlight Pass!

Comments

• LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star

This seems to cater to two audiences, spotlight posters and DLC completionists. As I am neither of those I will probably not be getting this. If the songs are present prior to purchase then maybe...

Then this is perfect for you, because you can wait until the last week of Season 2 -- when all the songs will be known -- and then decide to buy the pack or not.

Only if I haven't deciced to buy a song earlier in the season. And seeing Garbage, Sugar Ray and Nugent already announced makes me think these will be spotlights on 3 consecutive weeks so now I'm in even more of a pickle. Not into the surprise aspect as much as others. Must show restraint, must show restraint.

Seems like it shouldn't be an issue for you, according to you.
  • I wish they would do monthly packs, excluding Rewinds.
    I buy pretty much everything so if it saves me a little I'm all for it.
  • Don't feel like I'm gonna get this... Unless I know all 8 songs and I would buy all of them anyways (even so, it would be spending a lot of money early on, meaning I would be hard-pressed to continue doing 2-songs a week of purchases).

But hey, it's an interesting idea and I hope lots of people buy it!
  • calloycalloy Unsigned
    even wanting to own the spotlight songs has been hit or miss for me and mostly miss lately. passadena
  • jaystonepkjaystonepk Opening Act

This seems to cater to two audiences, spotlight posters and DLC completionists. As I am neither of those I will probably not be getting this. If the songs are present prior to purchase then maybe...

Then this is perfect for you, because you can wait until the last week of Season 2 -- when all the songs will be known -- and then decide to buy the pack or not.

Only if I haven't deciced to buy a song earlier in the season. And seeing Garbage, Sugar Ray and Nugent already announced makes me think these will be spotlights on 3 consecutive weeks so now I'm in even more of a pickle. Not into the surprise aspect as much as others. Must show restraint, must show restraint.

Seems like it shouldn't be an issue for you, according to you.
    Just because I can't post top spotlight scores, doesn't mean I wouldn't want to give the new songs a try that week anyway. Also, as any who knows me personally can attest, sometimes my logic is rather, unique.
  • I would have done this in years past... unfortunately the DLC has been so underwhelming the last year or so that I have bought 75% of a month maybe once.
  • 3pic81ueUnicorn3pic81ueUnicorn Not Active Enough
    This is an interesting idea, but since I don't buy every new song every single week, the only way I would buy it is if I like 6 or 7 songs from the season.

If you are feeling cautious about the season pass and have patience, you can just wait to buy any DLC until the last week is announced to decide whether the season pass is worth it or not, which is probably what I will end up doing.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    Unfortunately that approach doesn't work for their intended audience (Rivals Season 2 players) because those players will have to decide before the end of Week 1 whether to buy that week's spotlight single, buy the whole pass, or not post a score for that song during the week it matters.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    If every song winds up using full stems, I will buy all of them individually. That might cost me an additional $2.49, but I would be happy to pay it. And Harmonix would be happy to take my extra money. EVERYONE WINS
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned

Unfortunately that approach doesn't work for their intended audience (Rivals Season 2 players) because those players will have to decide before the end of Week 1 whether to buy that week's spotlight single, buy the whole pass, or not post a score for that song during the week it matters.

Yep, that is the dilemma. But if you are in a crew, you can have others post the scores. My dilemma will be what if a song you really want comes out early on like "Stranglehold".

Do you not buy it because there is still a chance you will get the full pack or do you just buy it and say forget the pack. Probably the latter as it is unlikely I would really want more than half of the pack anyway.

Maybe if PSN is offering a 20% sale off all content in the store (we are due for another coming up), then that is enough incentive to buy. We'll see.
  • 3pic81ueUnicorn3pic81ueUnicorn Not Active Enough

Rereading the OP, I just noticed that the Season Pass only entitles you to each week's spotlight song, so I guess my approach is only good for those who don't play Rivals Mode, such as myself. However, if you are a dedicated Rivals player, then it is a good deal.
  • zorbak00zorbak00 Unsigned
    Anyone have any idea how much the Season Pass might be for Canadian PS4 users?
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    zorbak00 said:

Anyone have any idea how much the Season Pass might be for Canadian PS4 users?

With the U2 Essentials pack being used as a reference point, it appears to also be $13.49.
  • Wasn't the Canada price increase after the U2 Essentials pack though?
    edited August 4
    Yes, it was. These days, things get struck higher, but old items haven't been adjusted (unless they had to be re-added to the store because of a glitch - those did! All the old tracks that had entitlement issues are now at a higher price, those that never had entitlement issues are still at the lower price)

These days, things that release at $12.99US release at $17.49 CDN, and things that release at $13.99US release at $18.99CDN, so I expect this will be either $17.99 or $18.49. (But 8 new singles at usual prices would be $23.92).

(by current exchange rate a $13.49USD item should exchange to $17.05CDN, but Sony is overcompensating high on exchange these days to make up for what they perceive to have lost when they were operating at-par).

Gives Canadians who can get a hold of US Playstation store money cards incentive to buy their new content on a US-based account because they can get it cheaper. On new singles right now, buying exchanged on the US store results in about a 16% savings for Canadians relative to buying the same new singles in the Canadian Playstation store (paying $1.99USD = $2.52CDN, rather than the $2.99CDN the Canada store asks).
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    So in reality if you were willing to wait, Week 6 would be a good bingo point to fish or cut bait. If you liked all the songs up to that point, then if 1 of the 2 remaining songs sucked it would be free, and if they both sucked they would cost you $1.55 for both.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited August 4
    @LordFlatus Or week 3 if HMX chose to announce all of September's DLC like they did on Wednesday for August.
  • KazooKazoo Unsigned
    Sorry... what are these "Full Stems" I keep reading?

@LordFlatus Or week 3 if HMX chose to announce all of September's DLC like they did on Wednesday for August.

Yeah, but then you might get into that messy "Which songs will and won't be used for spotlight" situation. I bought "True Confessions" yesterday, and didn't buy "Rebel Heart". If these two had been in a preannounce I wouldn't have been able to predict whether my purchase would include the song I wanted or the one I didn't (and as it turned out, the one I didn't want was the one used in the challenge).
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned

But even then I don't think you'll know which songs will be included in the Spotlight and part of the deal.
  • I'm gonna take a wait and see approach to this pass.. A part of me loves the idea of a "subscription" to RB DLC - simply because I love the game and I buy a decent amount of DLC..

But I just gotta see the quality of the songs for this first round.. I know one person's good song is another's bad, but I think the first 8 songs could provide a good idea.

It kind of reminds me of being a kid and buying a pack of football cards - you put your money down knowing you're likely to be happy with at least a few of the offerings, and who knows - maybe happy with all of them.. Now if HMX can just figure out a way we can "trade" some of the DLC ;)
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned

I'm gonna take a wait and see approach to this pass.. A part of me loves the idea of a "subscription" to RB DLC - simply because I love the game and I buy a decent amount of DLC..

But I just gotta see the quality of the songs for this first round.. I know one person's good song is another's bad, but I think the first 8 songs could provide a good idea.

It kind of reminds me of being a kid and buying a pack of football cards - you put your money down knowing you're likely to be happy with at least a few of the offerings, and who knows - maybe happy with all of them.. Now if HMX can just figure out a way we can "trade" some of the DLC ;)

Would love to be able to trade songs like pretty much 90% of songs in this week's challenge but don't think I would find a trading partner! ;)

I am wondering if the underlying criteria for this week's challenge is actually free songs or songs with the least amount of sales!

I do want more Cracker though. Criminal that we don't have "Low".
  • @thatmarkguy @djb5f1 Well if you liked all September's non-rewinds then which song is chosen for spotlight wouldn't matter.
  • KazooKazoo Unsigned
    edited August 4

Kazoo said:

Sorry... what are these "Full Stems" I keep reading?

Most people don't seem to notice the issue, so just keep on buying every single song you think you might enjoy playing in Rock Band.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but... I'd appreciate an answer to the question.

EDIT: Nevermind. Found another post. (Yeah.. I know.. I know...)
  • KidSleez said:

djb5f1 said:

I'm gonna take a wait and see approach to this pass.. A part of me loves the idea of a "subscription" to RB DLC - simply because I love the game and I buy a decent amount of DLC..

Would love to be able to trade songs like pretty much 90% of songs in this week's challenge but don't think I would find a trading partner! ;)

I am wondering if the underlying criteria for this week's challenge is actually free songs or songs with the least amount of sales!

Low is sorely missing in RB.
    Yeah there are some classic 90's singalongs that are sorely missing in RB.. Cumbersome is another that comes immediately to mind..
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned

KidSleez said:

djb5f1 said:

Low is sorely missing in RB.
    Yeah there are some classic 90's singalongs that are sorely missing in RB.. Cumbersome is another that comes immediately to mind..
    I have requested my share of Cracker and SevenMaryThree but just 1 song between them :(