So I just advanced to Diamond tier by myself without breaking a sweat

LeCH24LeCH24 Opening Act
edited August 2 in Rock Band Rivals
This isn't a brag post. I'm trying to call attention to how I think the advancement system needs some tweaking.

I made a crew (aptly titled "Not really a crew") simply to pad the XP numbers on the way to 100. I've essentially just been posting harmony vocal scores and playing new DLC which more often than not pops up in the spotlight songs.

Starting the season in week 3, by myself, playing about 50 songs on expert a week (100 in week 7 since there were a lot), and filling out only four spotlight slots (or, in two cases, none) I've managed to rise to one level from Bloodstone.

Now, I doubt I will reach Bloodstone because I'm likely finally at a tier where people are busting their butts to move ahead.

But while I've been playing 50 songs a week by myself, groups of 10 have been logging ridiculous hours, trying to score massive amounts of XP and fill in every spotlight score two weeks longer than I have even been not-really-participating.

The fact that - after all that - they find themselves in the exact same predicament as someone who wasn't trying to advance at all, is something that probably should be remedied.

Comments

• stiper327bstiper327b Opening Act
    It's a game, don't overthink it.

I'm in a solo crew myself, and the highest I've ever been able to make it was Platinum. I was actually surprised during this week's challenge that I was so high up in the Promotion Zone, and that's really only playing from Sunday-on. I got five stars in all of the instruments for each of the three Spotlight songs (although drums were def on Med/Hard) which put me at like 98%, but my XP hovered around the 75% range for most of the challenge. I don't know if they tweaked things, or if less bands are participating now (saw some 0 point totals in the Leaderboards for bands in my tier) or what. But I'm okay with it. I still put in a lot of time and I would like to feel that I do have a chance even if I am a solo player.
  • Couple things on this...

1. There is no demotions. So, since you started in week 3, most if not all of the teams that look to play the game are already one or two tiers ahead of you. They do not demote. You literally are not playing against much of anybody.

2. It is only for the 8 week season. At the end, everyone will be back in bronze. If you wait two weeks to start, you can do the same thing in season 2.

3. The real competition is for the place in the season overall. Yes you got to diamond, but your overall for season 1 is much lower than any of the crews who played since week 1 or 2.

My crew promoted this week to bloodstone, but it was the 3rd week any one was eligible. The competition for this week was greatly reduced. There will be more than 30 crews in bloodstone at the end of Season 1. The following week.... "we suck again" <----- see the movie "The Waterboy"
  • Congratulations, Lech24. You earned it.
  • nystargatenystargate Unsigned
    I think they have made it just a little too easy to get to Bloodstone.

Maybe take a little less crews in weeks 1 and 2 and a lot less in weeks 3 and 4.
  • This week we needed over 600 song plays (as a crew) to make it to Bloodstone on xbox. You could do that by yourself, but you would break a sweat. I am sure it will be closer to 300 in the final week as the competition really drops off. Our crew had 9 expert FCs out of 12 possible scores, but were only 83rd percentile this week in spotlight. Again that will drop off as some Hard players may make it in the final week. Our spotlight scores weren't even close the week before as we were in the 30th percentile way clear of promotion from diamond (again when competition was stronger). That week to be competitive you needed all full combos with most optimal paths, (I am sure it was even tougher the first week teams could move to bloodstone, but we took that week off knowing it wasn't in our cards).

It is possible to make the same tier but your overall ranking and seasonal points will be much lower than top tier crews as they earn bonus points longer being at the top.
  • smanchacsmanchac Unsigned

Maybe take a little less crews in weeks 1 and 2 and a lot less in weeks 3 and 4.

Too easy??! I played 215 songs and you played 130+, as well as all of our other guys playing 50-100 songs - we played a lot the week we made it and barley scraped by even then!
  • nystargatenystargate Unsigned
    smanchac said:

Too easy??! I played 215 songs and you played 130+, as well as all of our other guys playing 50-100 songs - we played a lot the week we made it and barley scraped by even then!
    Yes, but we would have easily made it the following week. That is my main point - its too easy to get there the last two weeks.

And on another note, I see our crew got burned out by the effort that week, LOL. People are playing a lot less. And these past two weeks no drummers are buying the DLC spotlight songs and none of our good guitar/bass players are either.

I hope somebody buys and drums. It is sad to see no score for two songs on drums. And even with tow zeros we still are still around 50% for Bloodstone which is bizarre. I guess many other crews got burnt out too. And also don't like the spotlight songs.

smanchac said:

Yes, but we would have easily made it the following week. That is my main point - its too easy to get there the last two weeks.

And on another note, I see our crew got burned out by the effort that week, LOL. People are playing a lot less. And these past two weeks no drummers are buying the DLC spotlight songs and none of our good guitar/bass players are either.

I hope somebody buys and drums. It is sad to see no score for two songs on drums. And even with tow zeros we still are still around 50% for Bloodstone which is bizarre. I guess many other crews got burnt out too. And also don't like the spotlight songs.

Don't worry. On the app a lot of people have said they were busy, one guy getting married,
    Another said his cat passed away. Myself I've been busy too. We all plan to play a ton when the new season starts. Making bloodstone was the goal and when we got there I think a lot of ppl were ready to take a break.

Also, the challenge this week has awful picks and not a lot of songs to play. Two weeks ago I had 120, last week 270, this week 38. That's also part of the issue.

Don't worry my man. Once the next season starts we will all be back on the grind :)
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited August 5
    @nystargate @smanchac The way rewards are working out seem to be a big factor. As far we can tell at the moment, this is it:
    - Challenge pick for the #1 crew overall (in terms of Rivals points)
    - Mission badge for the rank you reached at the end of the season

So there doesn't seem to be an incentive for all but the absolute top crews in bloodstone to play that final challenge to the best ability. I've noticed my crew play less this challenge so far too.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    We didn't even sniff Bloodstone in season zero, and right now we're sniffing the 90% cutoff line.

So yeah, it's easier than it was.
  • Over 100 crews will be bloodstone when this thing is over with.... So... the shine is off of it a bit...

Over 100 crews will be bloodstone when this thing is over with.... So... the shine is off of it a bit...

No way, my crew is gonna make it this week so it's perfect! lolz
  • Over 100 crews will be bloodstone when this thing is over with.... So... the shine is off of it a bit...

Well, in the end it was 83 (out of 4,500) bloodstoner - about 2% -, which is not lackluster.

If someone has a theory why it was almost impossible to make progress in the last season week, I have a thread under rivals (and desperately need some guidance, why my crew missed Bloodstone in the last season week).

Over 100 crews will be bloodstone when this thing is over with.... So... the shine is off of it a bit...

Well, in the end it was 83 (out of 4,500) bloodstoner - about 2% -, which is not lackluster.

If someone has a theory why it was almost impossible to make progress in the last season week, I have a thread under rivals (and desperately need some guidance, why my crew missed Bloodstone in the last season week).
    My crew rode high the entire week. Our multi-instrument SuperStar came out of WROKKED all four instruments with app-score-percentages in the high 90s on 9 of 12 Spotlight Slots and moved us up to 95% overall and promotion to Bloodstone.

Making progress wasn't impossible. When I was playing earlier in the week my Spotlight Scores moved the meter, as did my XP. I've been in the same crew for 43 weeks and everything was working as usual.
  • @LordFlatus Stigmata on drums really was the key to promotion in the last challenge. That alone had a huge amount of potential points.
  • I think the solution is to have more tiers, insert a week or two between Diamond and Bloodstone. Or put two lower levels before Bronze (maybe Tin and Lead).

I just think 83 crews is too many for bloodstone and people playing by themselves shouldn't be able to end up in the second best tier.
  • joseph5185joseph5185 Opening Act
    edited August 11

I think the solution is to have more tiers, insert a week or two between Diamond and Bloodstone. Or put two lower levels before Bronze (maybe Tin and Lead).

I just think 83 crews is too many for bloodstone and people playing by themselves shouldn't be able to end up in the second best tier.

Too many?

Isn't the math something like 0.5% that made it to Bloodstone. Definitely doesn't sound like too many to me. And look, if you're skilled you're skilled. I mean, possibly they could make Crew XP count more than Spotlight as opposed to 50/50, but I'm thinking that would probably enrage some folks.
  • For xbox, here are the results at the end of season 1 (viewed today on xbox):

Bloodstone- 127 (1.9%)
    Diamond- 519 (7.7%)
    Platinum- 745 (11.1%)
    Gold- 1203 (17.8%)
    Silver- 2068 (30.7%)
    Bronze- 2079 (30.8%)

So by those numbers 1.9% made it into bloodstone. By realistic measures, those 2079 in bronze at the end of the season really didn't play (it practically takes a heartbeat to get out of bronze in 8 weeks), so if you remove those crews that stayed in bronze, the number into bloodstone jumps to 2.7%

So is 2% too much for bloodstone? I don't really know. It seemed like quite a bit of crews for the best of the best tier to me, maybe 1% would be a better number that makes it into bloodstone.
  • In season zero weren't there like 15 bands in bloodstone and maybe another 15 that kept bouncing between bloodstone and diamond. That made it seem much more elite.

So 83 seems like a lot compared to the 30 or so we used to get. Maybe compromise and make it like 50. But 83 seems like too much.

If you added more levels then reaching second best to bloodstone would actually mean something (like it should).

I think the 50/50 split is fine.
  • Bloodstone just had no meaning. If you were a full crew of active participants... you were bloodstone.... So basically there are 127 crews on xbox that actually play the game activiely. Thats pretty much all it says.

I would like to see them deactivate crews that have not posted any scores for months and possibly those that have posted just a song or two. That would reduce the %'s to more relevant levels as the game moves forward. I think they are going to continue to revamp this further so I expect changes in any case...

My thoughts....

The Guru
  • I am less worried about too many crews making it to bloodstone because the crews that get there earlier still have higher ranks in crew points as they receive bonus points. So making it to bloodstone at the end is still less than rising to the top early in the season.

My crew made it in 7th week working very hard (I had more than 200 song plays myself). My kids' crew made it to diamond in the 7th week, and missed making bloodstone from lack of playing, but could have made it if any member of their crew worked half as hard as our top members. I didn't feel cheated as our rank was still higher than those who made it in week 8 as we had bonus points from two weeks in bloodstone.

I kinda feel that playing a lot and buying spotlight songs should be rewarded (active crews). I don't think it was possible for a crew to make bloodstone if they didn't buy spotlight songs in the final week. Correct me if I am wrong. I would wonder how many crews got to diamond without buying spotlight songs ever. I would think that most of those crews bought songs at least once or twice.
  • Unless they changed it, you don't usually get more points for getting promoted early.

It used to be that it was much better points wise to keep getting almost promoted then getting promoted and finishing near the bottom of the new tier.

And I can tell you many teams didn't buy spotlight songs in Bloodstone the least week. My crew ended up close to 50% in spotlight and we had a zero in one of the drum songs. It just seems like people didn't care anymore once they got to Bloodstone...
  • There is a multiplier on how many points you can get depending on the tier you are in. It would be quite the tricky problem trying to figure out if it's worth it to stay in a tier and miss out on the multiplier for the next week for getting into a higher tier.

I do know if you were a top 10 crew, you had to promote every time on the road to bloodstone and perform every week afterwards to stay in the top 10. Some crews worked harder than others, but the effort had to be there. A crew that didn't promote when promotions were available would not have had enough rivals points to make it to that upper group of crews.

If your only goal was to make it into bloodstone and you achieved it in week 6 or 7, why would you try in week 8? Goal achieved! No grinding necessary and no reason to buy spotlight songs. Everyone can high five each other and eagerly wait season 2 to repeat the process over again.

If your only goal was to make it into bloodstone and you achieved it in week 6 or 7, why would you try in week 8? Goal achieved! No grinding necessary and no reason to buy spotlight songs. Everyone can high five each other and eagerly wait season 2 to repeat the process over again.

I agree with this. I worked hard to get to bloodstone and once I made it I felt relieved to take a break and play dlc I enjoy vs grinding with nowhere to go.

When the top crews are getting 1 million xp and fc all the spotlight songs, I have to be realistic and realize that I'm not going to be in that position. Making bloodstone was a nice accomplishment. We got it week 2, not 6-7-8.

And getting badges sucks. Why introduce rewards with an actual item, and then not give the same when the first real season ends. Ruins all future incentive to make it to the top.
  • joseph5185joseph5185 Opening Act
    I like striving for Bloodstone for the sheer challenge of striving for Bloodstone.
    The competition and placement is incentive enough.

I don't need anything else to motivate me.