song request page

anyone have any stories about submitting songs in the request page and your wish coming true?
how do they decide?

Comments

• I don't think any of my requests have ever made the game, but there's plenty of people here who have seen their requests eventually make it.

I don't think there's truly anybody who knows exactly why songs are picked for DLC, but it's some combination of what's popular on streaming music services, cost to obtain, and what will sell well (among probably other things).
  • I've had songs make it (particularly Love Song By The Cure and all the AFI songs)
    but i also had a song make it the next week after I requested it (Pretty sure it was night ranger but i honestly can't remember... )
  • uppyb0tuppyb0t Opening Act
    I've always wanted the vandals, but i realise how niche they are.

Would be hella for whole band
  • V8VANTAGEV8VANTAGE Road Warrior
    edited August 5
    Before RB3 took a break, out of all of my requests only "Tubthumping", "Jerk It Out" and "I Believe In A Thing Called Love" made it.

After RB4 got announced I predicted "Get Lucky", "Save Tonight" and "Hey Ya!" would be on the main game disc and we got all as DLC, albeit not with studio stems.

And several of my requests in the meantime have now made it. "Every Morning", "Stranglehold", "Breakfast At Tiffany's" "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" and "Zombie" to name but a few.
  • itzJVitzJV Road Warrior
    I requested Jason Derulo's "Want to Want Me" as a joke, and it turned up as DLC somehow...
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited August 5
    I ended up with quite a fair number of requests come true, both in the pre-RB4 era and RB4 era the most recent of which was Garbage's "Stupid Girl" (back in 2015 I requested a lot of RS2014 DLC).
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    I requested 11 songs when rb4 was announced. We've gotten 2 of them so far ("My Own Eyes" and "Hey Jealousy")
  • I requested Icarus - Borne on the Wings of Steel by Kansas a few years before it popped up in the DLC schedule and I am willing to take full credit for that.
  • wafflerevolutionwafflerevolution Road Warrior
    out of the more than 4000 songs I've sent in to the page since its inception... only a handful have come to the store... or on discs.
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    Since Rock Band 4 was announced, the songs I requested and were released were...

Earth, Wind & Fire - "September"
    Jefferson Starship - "Jane"
    Audioslave - "Like a Stone"
    Godsmack - "Awake"
    Cold War Kids - "First"
    Disturbed - "The Vengeful One"
    Daft Punk - "Get Lucky"
    Outkast - "Hey Ya!"
    The Cranberries - "Zombie"
    Lamb of God - "Redneck"
    The Romantics - "What I Like About You"
    Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - "Don't Do Me Like That"
    Twisted Sister - "We're Not Gonna Take It"
    Imagine Dragons - "Radioactive"
    Toto - "Africa"
    Fuel - "Hemorrhage (In My Hands)"
    Winger - "Seventeen"
    Five Finger Death Punch - "Wrong Side of Heaven"
    Of Monsters and Men - "Little Talks"
    Aerosmith - "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing"
    Avicii - "Wake Me Up"
    Kool & the Gang - "Celebration"
    Toto - "Hold the Line"
    Twisted Sister - "I Wanna Rock"
    Simple Minds - "Don't You (Forget About Me)"
    Ram Jam - "Black Betty"
    Kenny Loggins - "Danger Zone"
    Mumford & Sons - "I Will Wait"
    Hall & Oates - "You Make My Dreams"
    MGMT - "Kids"
    Rush - "Freewill"
    Ghost - "Cirice"

of course I have probably requested over 1000 songs, but there is a lot of things I like that get relased
  • I've had many of my requests come true, including "Prayer"! I can't recall them all, but another one that stands out is "Happy?" by Mudvayne. My brother actually was mad that I hadn't chosen a different song, but the reality is that the song is only one of many that I've asked for! "Warrior" from Disturbed is another one; that song was popular here, in the Disturbed topic of the "Your Ultimate Setlist" section. So if you want your song chosen, don't underestimate the discussion boards. ;)
  • most of these songs are mainstream and would be added anyway. i'm thinking more obscure ones. like some metal tracks etc. the two bring me the horizon tracks come to mind...stuff like that...also a lot of those tracks were on gh
  • I requested Until Eternity by Blackbriar. That's moderately obscure, at least for me :D It sounds like a lot of fun on all instruments so I hope they at least check it out. I mentioned in a comment on the songs yt that I would request it for RB4 and they posted a positive comment back - I would love to see them in RB
  • i've requested many with no luck . I would lose it if we got Baker Street.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior

anyone have any stories about submitting songs in the request page and your wish coming true?
    how do they decide?

I requested "Famous Last Words" by My Chemical Romance and we got that. Though, to be fair, I requested every song on the album, so I was a little disappointed it wasn't a Black Parade pack
  • ekffazrekffazr Unsigned
    never had a request come true, ever.
    lots of songs I like have come out, just nothing I ever requested
  • army_of_mearmy_of_me Rising Star
    edited August 16
    In the pre-RB4 era I definitely had some more obscure requests granted. Mostly indie stuff. (Guess I was pretty convincing with the "Tell us why it rocks" section?) A few off the top of my head:

- Kula Shaker: Hey Dude, Knight on the Town
    - The Futureheads: Hounds of Love, Decent Days & Nights
    - The Chemical Brothers - Let Forever Be
    - The Von Bondies - C'mon C'mon
    - The Damned - Smash It Up
    - Hot Hot Heat - Bandages
    - Screaming Trees - Nearly Lost You
    - Siouxsie & The Banshees - Cities in Dust
    - The Jam - Town Called Malice
    - The Replacements - Kids Don't Follow
    - Kasabian - Club Foot
    - TV On the Radio - Wolf Like Me
    - Violent Femmes - American Music
    - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Weapon of Choice
    - Caesars - Jerk It Out

And a few obscure bands that got in, but different song(s) than what I requested: The Subways, The Smithereens, Neko Case, The Decemberists; guess those don't quite count.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited August 16

And a few obscure bands that got in, but different song(s) than what I requested: The Subways, The Smithereens, Neko Case, The Decemberists; guess those don't quite count.

I'd say they count. Odds are they don't just tabulate results by-song, they tabulate by-artist too. The likes of The Decemberists and Neko Case.... if their requests were scattershot across dozens of songs, HMX's numbercrunching likely saw the support for the artist and asked the artist/label what song they'd like to have on the platform.

For Neko Case, "People Got A Lotta Nerve" was almost assuredly pushed by the record label ... when RB released it, the album it was on wasn't even out yet, and the single was issued only the month before. There obviously wasn't time for fans to hear it, request it, and have HMX get it charted based on fan demand. But if HMX and ANTI- were already in talks because so many people had been asking for "Hold On, Hold On"... and they say "Hey, she's got a new single in early 2009... how about we use RB to help promote that?"
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    My opinion is that they track and look at periodically to get (or confirm) ideas from the song requests but use it fairly loosely at best. It would be easy to stuff the ballot box so I don't think they are considering raw numbers.
  • The request page before the hiatus had its issues. Like we know Never Gonna Give You Up didn't obtain #1 most requested song the legit way, it became #1 from being able to request the same song as often as you wanted to. The RB4 era request page added some way to only be able to request a song once.
  • EvilMunkyEvilMunky Unsigned
    I don't think anything I've requested has made it to the game. But then again most of what I've requested have been from bands that already have a lot of songs in the game (ie. A7X & Disturbed).

Think I might need to go the request page again though and spam some Volbeat requests. Guy's voice gives me chills.
  • For obscure songs, that's why I enjoyed Rock Band Network the most. It was actually the place my brother and I discovered Periphery and Demon Hunter respectively. Both of us have requested more songs since, but so far none of them have come true yet. Those 2 bands are about as obscure as my tastes go, but like RBN, I'm open to discover more.
  • aimsmallmismallaimsmallmismall Unsigned
    edited August 18

In the pre-RB4 era I definitely had some more obscure requests granted. Mostly indie stuff. (Guess I was pretty convincing with the "Tell us why it rocks" section?) A few off the top of my head:

- Kula Shaker: Hey Dude, Knight on the Town
    - The Futureheads: Hounds of Love, Decent Days & Nights
    - The Chemical Brothers - Let Forever Be
    - The Von Bondies - C'mon C'mon
    - The Damned - Smash It Up
    - Hot Hot Heat - Bandages
    - Screaming Trees - Nearly Lost You
    - Siouxsie & The Banshees - Cities in Dust
    - The Jam - Town Called Malice
    - The Replacements - Kids Don't Follow
    - Kasabian - Club Foot
    - TV On the Radio - Wolf Like Me
    - Violent Femmes - American Music
    - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Weapon of Choice
    - Caesars - Jerk It Out

Well, I bought C'mon C'mon and American Music.. And I had never heard them before looking them up cuz they were in RB - so thank you for having a hand in that :)

I've almost bought (but never pulled the trigger on) Bandages 100 times now, even though I don't think I like it haha - it's annoyingly catchy! I'd' love to have Middle of Nowhere from those guys though..

What did you request from the Smithereens?
    I think we got their clear cut classic in Girl Like You, but I woulda taken any of the following (and probably a few more) over Only A Memory:

Blues Before and After
    Yesterday Girl
    Blood And Roses
  • SmashManSmashMan Rising Star
    edited August 18

The request page before the hiatus had its issues. Like we know Never Gonna Give You Up didn't obtain #1 most requested song the legit way, it became #1 from being able to request the same song as often as you wanted to. The RB4 era request page added some way to only be able to request a song once.

I mean...that's still legitimate. "Most requested" doesn't mean they all have to be unique submissions, the song just has to have one more vote than the other songs.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    It isn't legit if the same person requested it hundreds of times...
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    edited August 18
    djb5f1 said:

It isn't legit if the same person requested it hundreds of times...

You underestimate the power of an internet meme. 100,000 people who don't play Rock Band and caught wind of a chance to vote for Rick-rolling something could easily have cast a single vote each.
  • Yeah, it was specifically stated it was STILL #1 when ignoring 4chan raids.
  • Hmm, judging from when I posted in the discussion thread I missed the confirmation it was #1 even excluding the request spam. Not that I minded then or now, it's a good song.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    HMXOwl said:

Yeah, it was specifically stated it was STILL #1 when ignoring 4chan raids.

I thought the 4chan Raid request was "Always" by Erasure because it was in some Flash game on AdultSwim.com at the time. I always figured that song being highly requested was the sole reason we got "A Little Respect" by Erasure in the first place.

Speaking of highly requested songs, you guys can release "Beer" by Reel Big Fish any day now. ;)
  • razor63razor63 Unsigned
    edited August 20
    tdc002 said:

HMXOwl said:

Yeah, it was specifically stated it was STILL #1 when ignoring 4chan raids.

I thought the 4chan Raid request was "Always" by Erasure because it was in some Flash game on AdultSwim.com at the time. I always figured that song being highly requested was the sole reason we got "A Little Respect" by Erasure in the first place.

Speaking of highly requested songs, you guys can release "Beer" by Reel Big Fish any day now. ;)
    I thought we got "A Little Respect" because it's a great f**king song, but you're probably right. Reel Big Fish, correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression it's one of those bands which is either A. More popular in this Forum's microcosm than in reality, B. has a small, but devoted fan following, or C. both.

EDIT: I do like Beer, by all means, and also, I'm disappointed I cannot use A) etc., and have to A. etc. instead, because of those damn emoticons.