DLC Discussion Thread: Free Rivals Songs!

edited August 15 in Rock Band
HMXOwl said:

Rock Band DLC Week of 8/10: Parks and Spirit Kid!

One of the best parts of music is discovering new stuff. Whether it be your parents’ records, the first CD(or cassette?) you ever bought, the complete 180 you did in high school, or opening acts from concerts, your taste has grown and changed since your first exposure. No point in stopping now, so we’d like to show you a couple bands from our friends that we think are pretty good.

Parks brings us “Sweater Weather”. A highly infectious pop-rock song, it comes complete with appropriately catchy vocals(that are a tad tricky to get down). The harmonies mostly sing their own lines, staying independent of the lead. Within a couple listens, you’re bound to hum along with the harmonies. Drums open the song with a tom beat, maintaining the tom focus through the whole song. They’ve even got a roll near the end that slowly melts into an electronic-sounding snare. The guitar keeps up a chordy riff reminiscent of your favorite classic, staying nice and high among the lower sounds of the other instruments. The bass has as many moments in the spotlight as everything else, having a bunch of quick riffs that are lifted high in the mix. Though don’t think of it as highs within lows, as it maintains a groovy bassline the whole song. You can check out their music on their BandCamp.

Steve’s Take:
Steve Pardo, Audio Lead

“Melody is the essence of music. I compare a good melodist to a fine racer, and counterpointists to hack post-horses; therefore be advised, let well alone and remember the old Italian proverb: Chi sa più, meno sa—Who knows most, knows least.” - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Parks’ hit “Sweater Weather” is immediate, confident, and unashamedly poppy. And if you’ve seen them live, you’d know that their catalogue is rich with bubbly guitar punches, driving floor tom rock beats, and tight cluster vocal harmonies. But if there is one thing you need to know about these guys, it’s that they are masters of the hook. And the craft of the perfect singable melody is on full display here. No opportunity to weave the song’s contour is left to the birds.

Of course, Parks’s influences are clear, with a chord progression and bridge that rival the best of the early Beatles. Yet, surprisingly, they manage to transcend these echoes and deliver a message, through song, straight to the heart: “Beautiful you are.”

Spirit Kid’s “To My Romeo” is in much the same vein. Emeen Zarookian heads up songwriting with instrument support from members of local Boston bands Babydriver and Bent Shapes. “To My Romeo” is another great summer jam, with a rising guitar riff at the beginning and a guitar solo near the end that drops down into a sparse bit before the whole band comes back in. Another strong bassline appears in this song, rarely sticking on the same note and preferring to travel the whole song. The vocals swing high regularly and the harmonies lift it further, making for a perfect sing-along song. Drums keep at a clapping beat, and as we all know, the double-clap is the best musical tool ever crafted. Head over to Spirit Kid’s BandCamp to hear more of their work.

Spirit Kid Band Bio, from Emeen Zarookian
Spirit Kid is the musical moniker of Los Angeles-based songwriter Emeen Zarookian.

When not busy writing music for TV/video games or performing with bands such as Badfinger, Bebopalula, or Tampa, Emeen holes up in his home studio to create music influenced by the classic song craft of artists like The Beatles, The Beach Boys, and The Kinks, blended with modern day production techniques. The result is the psych/pop/garage/indie blend known as Spirit Kid.

“To My Romeo” evokes the swagger of T. Rex topped off with a healthy dose of ear candy, wrapped up in a tidy, love song bow.

Both songs are free exclusively to Rivals owners. Users without Rivals cannot download these tracks.

• Parks - "Sweater Weather"
  • Spirit Kid - "To My Romeo"

We’ll be showing off this week’s newest DLC on our Twitch stream today starting at 5PM ET. Tune in here!

* Please note that this week’s DLC tracks will be available for purchase on Thursday, August 10th.

Comments

• THX HMX for the free songs!! They sound good!!
  • So they're splitting up the free songs?

Called it :p

Arctic Horror and The Black Cheers the next go round
  • People who haven't bought Rivals really need to.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    Can't beat free. (Free is a great band, though, but it can be beat.)

However, if we're doing Spirit Kid songs, please do Flytrap at some point! Even without the keys, it's a great song I'd love to play in-game.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    Also, will these be sorted as DLC, or as Rivals songs?
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited August 8
    Looking forward to both though how is the download going to work? This clearly isn't the update automatically adds songs style.

It definitely looks like the free songs will be coming on the 2 weeks there's no Rivals challenge and then back to paid DLC when season 2 starts.
  • I can see them putting the paid stuff together as well. slap Postpone with Stranglehold and make a 90's week out of Every Morning and Stupid Girl. Perfect!
  • I can see them putting the paid stuff together as well. slap Postpone with Stranglehold and make a 90's week out of Every Morning and Stupid Girl. Perfect!

I'd say Strangehold is "epic" enough to be a one-song week, but at least then you have 2 songs a week for the whole month.
    edited August 8
    It could go either way, take July for example you had In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida followed by 3 songs the following week (1 on Tuesday, 2 on Thursday). My new prediction for the order is:

8/17 - Free Rivals songs
    The Black Cheers - "(You're) Breaking Up"
    Arctic Horror - "Black Seas"

8/24 - One song
    Ted Nugent - "Stranglehold"

8/29 - RBVR
    Catfish and the Bottlemen - "Postpone"

8/31 - 90s
    Sugar Ray - "Every Morning"
    Garbage - "Stupid Girl"
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    Hooray for free songs! I've wound up enjoying many of the previous free tracks and look forward to playing each of these.

It's thrilling to see Rock Band Rivals operate as a actively supported game.
  • WoodenGloryWoodenGlory Unsigned
    edited August 8

It could go either way, take July for example you had In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida followed by 3 songs the following week (1 on Tuesday, 2 on Thursday). My new prediction for the order is:

8/17 - 90s
    Sugar Ray - "Every Morning"
    Garbage - "Stupid Girl"

8/24 - Free Rivals songs + RBVR
    The Black Cheers - "(You're) Breaking Up"
    Arctic Horror - "Black Seas"
    Catfish and the Bottlemen - "Postpone"

8/31 - One song
    Ted Nugent - "Stranglehold"

I doubt there's an update coming this month with it being three weeks away. You'd give at least a month or two of notice if it was considered "significant", but that's just me talking.

• edited August 8
    Free Songs = Instant Buy. :)

@HMXOwl Are there still some Weekly Challenges coming this week, now that Season 1 is ending?

Also, it's good to take a break from Weekly Challenges at the end of the season. Gives me a chance to let my vocal chords take a breather.
  • Buying both! :p <3
  • @WoodenGlory Honestly, the free songs were the main thing that made me think there'd be an update in August but with the 4 songs split up that clearly isn't a hint. If an update is coming in August it's separate from these free songs.
  • @WoodenGlory Honestly, the free songs were the main thing that made me think there'd be an update in August but with the 4 songs split up that clearly isn't a hint. If an update is coming in August it's separate from these free songs.

Or maybe there's no hints to be found, and not every month has an ARG hidden in it....

*Maybe you're overthinking things*
  • Lots of indie stuff in the last month.. These two offerings are similar to me to the previous songs by
    The Shelters
    Blondfire
    The Temper Trap

They sound decent, but I'm not gonna lay down $2 for them anytime soon.. These ones are better though cuz they're free :)

The Legitimate Front song "She" is still the best of the lot - and only a buck!
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    I was actually planning on buying Parks, so yay, free stuff.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    Expected to come here and complain about the lack of big names over the past three weeks, but wow, these two songs are actually right up my alley! Glad to not only be getting more free songs, but two that I'll probably like quite a bit. Thanks Harmonix!
  • razor63razor63 Unsigned
    edited August 8
    My biggest question though:
    HMXOwl said:

Parks’ hit “Sweater Weather”

Does nobody at Hamronix know how to use the word "hit" correctly? :O
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    Not feeling these songs, but cool for those who do, and free is always nice!

I'll be waiting for Stupid Girl
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    i'll pass on both.

oh wait. they're free. i can afford that. i wouldn't buy these, but i'll download just about anything for free.
  • Nice, I won't have to specify which Sweater Weather I requested because I like both of them.

Thank You @Harmonix <3 :)
  • VolTRHVolTRH Opening Act
    I'm really digging that Spirit Kid song, so I'm definitely looking forward to playing that one. I'll get both, tho, cuz free. P:
  • firedoom666firedoom666 Headliner
    huh I did not expect the free songs to be split up... but whatever I can't buy DLC anyways so free stuff is great!
  • V8VANTAGEV8VANTAGE Road Warrior
    Yay, free tracks! Never heard either before but I'm quite liking the Spirit Kid one slightly more than Sweater Weather. Both I will see if I can find other songs by them on Spotify or Bandcamp :)

Predicting Stranglehold next week as a single song.
  • razor63razor63 Unsigned
    V8VANTAGE said:

Yay, free tracks! Never heard either before but I'm quite liking the Spirit Kid one slightly more than Sweater Weather. Both I will see if I can find other songs by them on Spotify or Bandcamp :)

Predicting Stranglehold next week as a single song.

The links to both bandcamps are in the top post, but it seems Parks is a relatively new band, with only a double track single available.
  • kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act
    razor63 said:

My biggest question though:

HMXOwl said:

Parks’ hit “Sweater Weather”

Does nobody at Hamronix know how to use the word "hit" correctly? :O
    Well it's a hit with me. And since Hamronix caters to me personally, I would say they are using it correctly. :)
  • *Sees Rocksmith DLC* "Well, RB can't be worse this week."
    HMX: "Hold my beer!"

These are optional, right?

Songs with the same name spotlight this week?
    Sweater Weather (x2)
    Burn (x2...but should be x3)
    Fire (x2)
    Closer (x3)
    Somebody to Love (x3?)
    Dreams (x3)
    Angel (x2)
    Down (x2)
    Over the Hills and Far Away (x2)...waddaya mean we don't have either!?

and now I'm looking them up...
    Animal (x2)
    Can't Let Go (x2)
    Control (x2)
    Days Go By (x2)
    Forever (x2)

...and so on. There's more of these than I thought.
    edited August 8
    @Rock_Starman Could be wrong but given season 1 ends tonight and season 2 starts August 24th, I think there's no weekly challenge for this week and next week. Give people a break which they can use to play other parts of RB4 or do other things.
  • calloycalloy Unsigned
    two songs named "Sweater Weather" is a sign of the Apocalypse...just sayin'