Just getting RB4 now. Long time RB3 vet. How is the hit window/engine compared to 3?

Didn't have an Xbone until now!

I know there are some fast strumming parts which are really hard on RB1/2 but are easy on RB3. How is RB4 with stuff like that?

Comments

• kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act
    Same if not better.

Just make sure your calibration settings are good and you're golden. :)
  • edited August 10
    High NPS sections don't suffer from proportionally reduced hit windows like they did in RB3. Lanes are still a thing and were even retroactively added in pre-RB4 songs (for better or worse). They're arguably better programmed this time around due to recent patches but still kinda jank. Best description I've heard is that it's basically an RB2 engine with the added RB3 mechanics.
  • iammaxhailmeiammaxhailme Unsigned
    edited August 10
    Sad to hear that about lanes. I always hated them in rb3. Can you give me an example of an old song with lanes added?
  • @iammaxhailme East Jesus Nowhere after the solo. Don't write off lanes just yet, their functionality has been vastly improved over RB3.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    The lane added to Radiohead's 'Creep' was most welcome.
  • I hope you're right about them working better, because I something like creep? Nah, I don't really want it there. It's not that fast and the tempo is regular.

I'd only want it there if the tempo is very random, like in a BRE (although I don't like BRE zones either...).

Although something ridiculously fast like East Jesus Nowhere, I guess that's okay
  • NulienNulien Opening Act

The lane added to Radiohead's 'Creep' was most welcome.

WHAT. I'm glad I haven't played that song since then, I would've raged so badly if that snuck up on me.
  • iammaxhailmeiammaxhailme Unsigned
    edited August 13
    So I got the game and on the subject of songs with Lanes added I noticed that bad Omen by Megadeth has a trill lane in one of its guitar solos.

I actually have the game now. I played a couple of hours with the Jaguar. It's comfortable and the strum bar is better than I thought, but I don't like the frets. I sometimes hit the one to the right of the one I mean to as well (as in, I want to hit red, but I hit red + tap yellow for about 1 ms as well) so I miss a note. I think it's because I'm so used to the x-plorer where there is actually some room between colors, but on the RB4 jaguar the buttons go right into each other. I really wish the x-plorer would somehow become compatible...

Also it probably doesn't help that I'm used to RB3 on an SDTV which had perfect calibration. I spent a while trying to get RB4 calibrated on an HDTV, and I think I've got it decently, but who knows. All I know is that I'm having a fair amount of misses that I can't explain and that I'd never have done in RB3, and I'm not sure if it's the calibration, me not being used to the guitar and making mistakes, or the guitar itself being too sensitive/not sensitive enough/something compared to the x-plorer, rb4 havin a tighter engine... no idea what factor it is, but I'm playing notably worse.

I also got a Les Paul from amazon to use on RB4 but the neck is bad and sometimes the frets only work if you really jam it down, so I'm returning it and I"ll try another one. Very frustrating
  • @iammaxhailme In case you weren't aware, you need a special adapter for last gen instruments to work on RB4. While wired instruments straight up don't work with RB4, the wireless instruments work if you have the Madcatz Legacy Game Controller Adapter.
    edited August 13
    I find that if you can get the calibration just right, RB4's timing window is great. The problem is that I personally have an extremely difficult time finding the right calibration, and I feel like I have to recalibrate the game almost every time I turn it on. It wasn't like that at first... when I first got the game, autocalibrate gave me the most perfect calibration I've had since I played RB2 on a CRT screen... but ever since an early update where calibration was "improved", autocalibrate has been broken to the point where it's completely useless, and it's been a constant struggle for me.
  • @iammaxhailme In case you weren't aware, you need a special adapter for last gen instruments to work on RB4. While wired instruments straight up don't work with RB4, the wireless instruments work if you have the Madcatz Legacy Game Controller Adapter.

I know, I got one, that's how I know the Les Paul that I got is all messed up. Although I did ALSO try it on RB3 on 360 (still messed up)

Speaking of auto calibrate, yeah it gave me bad numbers. I think something like 110A/80V. I tweaked a bit and found that 110A/0V seems good.
  • The guitar thing is so true though lol in my case it was the opposite - I was used to playing Rock Band with the Strat controller and when I went to play it in a friend's console with his GH:WoR guitar I kept messing up because the buttons were so far apart (I like to slide my fingers when playing HOPOs and when doing G R G R style combos).
  • I struggled initially with the RB guitars but after some time with the Jaguar when my WoR guitar strum bar broke back in January I eventually got better than I did with the GH guitars. Somehow it's still working very well despite the large number of metal focused challenges since.
  • I'm getting a little better with it, but still getting a lot of unearned misses...

And oh god, "Dirty Pool" is now nearly all strum lanes. I guess I won't be getting a good score on that. They do seem to work better than in RB3 but still getting some misses that I didn't miss. The song is fast but not so fast that I can't know when a miss is me messing up vs the game...
  • I'm getting a little better with it, but still getting a lot of unearned misses...

And oh god, "Dirty Pool" is now nearly all strum lanes. I guess I won't be getting a good score on that. They do seem to work better than in RB3 but still getting some misses that I didn't miss. The song is fast but not so fast that I can't know when a miss is me messing up vs the game...

Never take a hit away even when it's a miss, I say.
    Are you serious? Dirty Pool got strum lanes?!

Oh man, am I ever glad now that I've recently decided to sell my XB1 and go back to playing RB3...
  • sieesiee Road Warrior
    Nulien said:

Are you serious? Dirty Pool got strum lanes?!

Oh man, am I ever glad now that I've recently decided to sell my XB1 and go back to playing RB3...

Man you really cry over these strum lanes, they're not that bad.
  • The strum lane at the end of the solo in Well Thought Out Twinkles annoyed me a little. I finally managed to fc that fast strum part on my own, was all excited I accomplished something semi-beast (for me anyway), and when I went to play it again it was an easy cheesy fc with the lanes. My soul shed a tear. A small one. Some lanes I haven't liked, some have been a welcome addition. It depends on your preferences