Band Focused Rock Band as an add-on to Rivals? Worth It or not?

Death1369Death1369 Unsigned
edited August 22 in Rock Band
Let's say that Harmonix tries to release another band focused game (Green Day, Beatles) but instead of it being a stand alone game, it's an add on to Rivals. As in, they release Pink Floyd Rock Band, you purchase it and it shows up in a sub-menu at the main menu. It's just like Green Day or The Beatles games with a story and bonuses, and the songs are added to you Rock Band 4 catalog. Do you think it'd be worth it? I know that some bands like Pink Floyd and AC/DC only like the idea of selling full albums and not cherry picking songs, so this could nudge them in the right direction.

Band Focused Rock Band as an add-on to Rivals? Worth It or not? 91 votes

Worth It!
54%
ZombieZ1010wreckem279LoopyChewbandaddyTimmoWarnermeck77OakTeaMikey35KrS_OnEHiscArcanonLord_MhoramScythemaster 37SKYLAR7kewes18DangimarockercalloyWeezerGeek888icusNideckeralbert_24 50 votes
Worth It, but only if I like the band,
37%
WingsOfSteeltdc002Runa216jenjen961ekffazrDesvergerfiredoom666twistedoakSCFoxozzfreakmesabassmanMightyQuindconrad23MemoDLSGhardcoredrummerhiimSMAPmneilanyoann007dlchief58BaronRob 34 votes
Not worth it, even if I like the band.
2%
dinomanAnaconda 2 votes
Bad idea!
5%
LordFlatusTheMuralsbrookfieldworldorderjosch22RobotsPJs 5 votes

Comments

• edited August 22
    Worth It!
    Anything they release I'll more than likely buy. Just don't see this happening.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    Worth It!
    I mean sure, if they somehow implemented this, I would be all for it. Taken, I'd hope that features wouldn't be locked behind these expansions (such as how Rivals has features exclusive to it), and IDK if I'd purchase an expansion for a band I wasn't a fan of, but nonetheless it'd be a neat way to do an artist-themed experience while still technically sticking to one game per console generation.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    Depends on the Band. Green Day Rock Band was an easy pass for me for example, still don't understand how they warranted their own game but that's another story.

Rock Band Led Zeppelin or Guns N Roses or Eric Clapton/Cream, yes please.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    Being that they can't seem to put out more than 2 songs a week, it doesn't seem like Harmonix has the resources to release a big batch of songs at once anymore :\

Anyways, it depends on the band. It would have to be a band warranting it, with no (or very few) songs in Rock Band. I doubt Zeppelin or Pink Floyd are ever going to change their minds. GNR is a possibility (or maybe unaffordable). Same with Metallica.

Really, it depends how many songs it would be. It doesn't seem like we're ever getting another batch of 50+ songs (single band or not).
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    I'd love it as much as I'd love equally likely things like winning the lottery.

If it were to happen I think it would be at least as likely to be a major pop act, like Katy Perry or Justin Timberlake, as any of the classic rock unattainables.
  • Worth It!
    If this the only way to get more Metallica or Guns N Roses or any other White Whale band that I can think of, that isn't Led Zeppelin, then I'm all for it. :)

And where did it specify that Pink Floyd was Anti-Rhythm Gaming? I don't recall reading that, only Led Zeppelin.
  • bandnewbbandnewb Unsigned
    I probably wouldn't like the band unless it was Guns n' Roses.
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited August 23
    Worth It!
    I would pretty much buy any band-game addon as they are usually really fun regardless if I like every song. Heck I don't like every Beatles song but I still thought the music fit very well into Rock Band and it made me enjoy it more.

All these request for Zeppelin, Floyd, GnR have been around for years now.. GnR is really the only one likely and even then with only getting 6-8 songs a month I don't foresee it financially being possible. I hope Harmonix proves me wrong on this though.

Although I like the band-game add on idea, I think doing a larger variety pack every couple months would be a cool (a 10 pack of 2 songs from different decades and change the decades each time to be surprising.. ) idea.
  • A little reality: Right now HMX can only seem to afford to license one Sugar Ray track and not even their biggest hit

A little reality: Right now HMX can only seem to afford to license one Sugar Ray track and not even their biggest hit

"Fly" probably wouldn't play that well in Rock Band anyway. "Every Morning" has that cool guitar part.

Again, I don't think it's a matter of being able to afford the songs, it seems that it's more a human resources/means of production matter (at least that's my guess). A smaller staff means less people to create DLC, which means more time has to go into it. They can't even put out 5-6 song packs anymore, let alone the 12 song "Best of" packs or full albums.

If they ever did some kind of single band showcase mode or something (because it would be part of the RB4 platform, not a standalone game) I really wouldn't even expect 50+ songs. It would probably be more like 20-30, just because they don't have the resources to make something that size.

Hell, with the way DLC goes these days, I'd be excited to get a GNR/Zeppellin/Floyd/etc six pack, let alone a massive band-centric campaign or whatever.

I still think if Rock Band wants to do some kind of massive add-on, they should saddle up with some big concert/festival (like Warped Tour, Ozzfest, Woodstock, Bonnaroo, Coachella, etc) and do some kind of cross promotion thing. Hell, even Guitar Hero II had a Warped Tour stage. But that's easier said than done, obviously.

But as far as income goes, Harmonix can't be too strapped for cash if they haven't dipped into product placement like Guitar Hero did (with Coca-Cola, Vans, Axe Body Spray, Pontiac, KFC, etc logos all over the place). One of the things that killed me them most in GH:WOR was seeing Johnny Napalm grabbing a bottle of Coke off the bar in CBGBs rather than a beer. Blasphemy.
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    Worth It!
    I mean, I've thought about such a thing in the past, and I'd love it. TB:RB was amazing, and anything similar would be an incredible addition to RB4. That being said, the chances of getting such an expansion (especially featuring the music of white whales like Led Zep or Pink Floyd or The Beatles) are zero to none, at least currently. Though, if we're being realistic, probably for the foreseeable future as well. Maybe thirty years down the road, things will change.

If it were to happen I think it would be at least as likely to be a major pop act, like Katy Perry or Justin Timberlake, as any of the classic rock unattainables.

If a Timberlake expansion had half a dozen *NSync tracks included, then let's go baby.
  • If I like the band, hell, yes, but as some of the others, I just don't see this happening. As a compromise, I would like it if they would do it as a mode where there is a band specific tour mode with special stages and clothing/outfit type rewards, of course with the added bonus of having the 50 more/less songs playable in all modes. I would love to have Pink Floyd this way.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    there are very few bands big enough to justify a full-fledged paid expansion. i do think it would be cool to have some band-specific venues, clothing items, characters, etc. from time to time. whenever the spinal tap songs come back, for instance, i'd happily pay an extra $5 for a stonehenge venue/animations.
  • @Redstarneon I'd say this week's DLC is the "Time After Time" of Sugar Ray and Garbage, it doesn't matter which comes first but someday we'll likely have both.
  • Worth It!
    I bought the Green Day disc on sale for like $8 back in the day.. That had a ton of songs on it, but only about 4 that I genuinely LIKE (with another 15 or so that are okay).. Still, the sale made it a no-brainer even though I generally only consider them tolerable.. So, uh - I guess it depends on the band and the price.. But if they were popular enough to get their own disc, I'm sure I could find some friends who would enjoy playing it.. (I'm rambling.. And wasting everyone's time.. And now we're all dumber.
    edited August 24

I bought the Green Day disc on sale for like $8 back in the day.. That had a ton of songs on it, but only about 4 that I genuinely LIKE (with another 15 or so that are okay).. Still, the sale made it a no-brainer even though I generally only consider them tolerable.. So, uh - I guess it depends on the band and the price.. But if they were popular enough to get their own disc, I'm sure I could find some friends who would enjoy playing it.. (I'm rambling.. And wasting everyone's time.. And now we're all dumber.

GDRB was a great way to get a band with relatively little songs in the library into Rock Band all at once. The majority of their hits and big songs were completely missing from the library. Plus Green Day (like The Beatles) have very distinct eras to their career (arguably, there should have a Post-Dookie/Pre-American Idiot era in there as well). There aren't many other bands that would fit into that bracket.

Plus a lot of GDRB's setlist is mainly full albums. American Idiot (because it's a Rock Opera), the rest of 21st Century Breakdown (because we already had a good chunk of it as DLC), and Dookie (their most influential album). So basically three full albums, plus the 7 singles off their other albums, rounded out to a nice, neat setlist.

I'm not sure what other bands could fit into that. Pearl Jam was obviously in the works, but I think that was more along the lines of the AC/DC Live pack, not a full fledged game.

I'm not sure who else is left these days though. Red Hot Chili Peppers? Obviously that would mean relicensing a lot of stuff. Part of me wants to say Guns N' Roses, but honestly, an Appetite for Destruction full album DLC would hit 90% of the songs people would want. Springsteen obviously has eras and a lot of untapped material, but how many genuine hits? I feel like he'd be better suited to like big DLC pack (back in the RB3 days with keys). Plus his stuff wouldn't have a ton of variety or difficult (but people said the same thing about Green Day so...)

Maybe U2?? Assuming it would be an add-on to the RB4 platform, it could make use of the 10 songs we've already got as DLC. Not sure how well that would sell though (young people aren't exactly crazy about U2). But obviously, they have a long, long career to follow, a line up that's lasted the whole way, and obvious eras of the band.
  • Worth It, but only if I like the band,
    tdc002 said:

Springsteen obviously has eras and a lot of untapped material, but how many genuine hits? I feel like he'd be better suited to like big DLC pack (back in the RB3 days with keys). Plus his stuff wouldn't have a ton of variety or difficult (but people said the same thing about Green Day so...)

I feel like Bruce has roughly the same amount of genuine hits as Green Day did. High single-digit number of undeniably massive hits, and several more minor hits that are big to fans of the genre or specific artist. Born in the U.S.A. alone had seven top 10 hits, even though only 3 or 4 of those are songs I'd consider big classic rock hits today.

Aside from bands I've seen mentioned, The Rolling Stones and The Beach Boys definitely have enough hits to support a single-artist game if HMX could get the rights. Journey could support a very attractive setlist, but also you could probably fit the most essential tracks into a 12-pack in a way I don't think you could with The Stones or The Beach Boys.
  • bandaddybandaddy Rising Star
    Worth It!
    tdc002 said:

I'm not sure what other bands could fit into that. Pearl Jam was obviously in the works, but I think that was more along the lines of the AC/DC Live pack, not a full fledged game

The Eagles would be an obvious choice. Elton John, maybe. But ya, there ain't too many.

• Worth It!
    ummm... Tool. Please for the love of gourd, Tool.
  • Worth It, but only if I like the band,
    It would really depend if I liked the band. I would never ever buy an U2 or Justin Beiber add on. Guns and Roses or Pink Floyd or things like that would be an insta buy. I do miss the full album dlc's that we used to have.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    Bad idea!
    I have way way way WAAAY too many Green Day songs in my library now. So unless it was like a Power-5 ungettable bands version I would probably pass.

Who am I kidding. I would end up buying it. But then I would have waaaaay too many songs from 3 bands in my library.
  • dlchief58dlchief58 Opening Act
    bandaddy said:

tdc002 said:

I'm not sure what other bands could fit into that. Pearl Jam was obviously in the works, but I think that was more along the lines of the AC/DC Live pack, not a full fledged game

The Eagles would be an obvious choice. Elton John, maybe. But ya, there ain't too many.

Eagles would be good, do something like they did on their last tour when Glenn Frye was still alive (AWESOME show, glad my old lady won us free tickets as I sure couldn't have afforded them). But there are a lot of bands that would be worthy of this treatment with deep and under represented catalogs:

The Rolling Stones - not much released on Rock Band, but represented on GH and RS so plausible
    Eric Clapton/Cream/Blind Faith - has licensed music to Karaoke Revolution and Power Gig so also plausible
    Van Halen - all iterations (well maybe not so much VH 3).
    Genesis - would love to see some of those wild Peter Gabriel costumes from back in the day
    Sammy Hagar/Montrose/HSAS/The Circle - Guy has made a ton of music over the years, all would be fun to play

I am sure I could think of more and of course you have the unicorn bands as well: Zeppelin, Floyd, etc. Queen and the Who would have been worthy of the treatment but the bulk of their popular works are already present.

Other ideas along this line would be to do something like the Rockumentary on some of these bands. Maybe have something tailored for some of those bands that already have DLC released with an option to get the songs included if you don't already own them (The Who, Queen specifically). Another idea would be to do something along the lines of solo work from former bandmates, such as The Beatles - a rockumentary showing the history of their music after the breakup. You would think those would be cheaper and more readily licensed but I may be wrong on that. Would love some solo George or Ringo in the game. The same could be done with The Eagles.

Just a few thoughts I felt like sharing.

• djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    If Green Day had its own title, I could think of at least 50 acts within a minute or two that could use a full blown game. Granted, probably half of those already have a large contingent of songs with Rock Band (The Who, Jimi Hendrix, Nirvana, etc., etc.) so would not be ideal choices.

But if the hypothetical expansion pack was only 12-15 songs, it opens up the door for so many artists that already have a decent sized catalogue. Like Pearl Jam, really missing Vs. and Vitalogy songs for example.

• grimripper82grimripper82 Opening Act
    Worth It!
    I buy all DLC anyway, so of course I would get it, no matter what band it was. That being said, I really liked the band-centric games. My wife and I played a lot of Beatles (the harmonies were a blast), and I even played Green Day a decent amount, despite immediately exporting all the songs.

Something about seeing a Rock Band-ized version of those bands play their own songs was actually quite refreshing, and definitely added to the experience. If Harmonix ever decided to go that route again, I would love to see the characters export into the main series, along with the songs. They could tie the characters specifically to their songs, if need be. I know there were issues with that in the GH series, where certain people weren't told that certain avatars could be used to play any song in the game beforehand, and we don't want anybody getting upset about it.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    Bad idea!
    djb5f1 said:

If Green Day had its own title, I could think of at least 50 acts within a minute or two that could use a full blown game.

Come on now, you know there had to be some kind of marketing agreement with the Green Day music publisher to push that title out.
  • LeCH24LeCH24 Opening Act
    I know "never say never" is a popular phrase around here, but have you LOOKED at the list of DLC artists this year?

I think it's fair to say this game has reached the niche point where it doesn't have a base to even bother pursuing these artists, no matter what the concession.

Keep in mind if you're going to do this, it costs developer salary just as a starting point. They can't implement an entire new secondary design and not incur significant expenses.

If anything, we're at the stage we should be happy to be getting any DLC at all. And thank Harmonix a million times over for that.

Seeing an all-artist game, or even a mode, even if they charge for it, will never happen. Never again. It's a pipe dream. That time is gone.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    Worth It!
    LeCH24 said:

I know "never say never" is a popular phrase around here, but have you LOOKED at the list of DLC artists this year?

You mean those obscure, D-level acts like A7X, Megadeth, Oasis, The Isley Brothers, Dream Theater, Ghost, and Garbage?

The volume of DLC may have gone down, sure, but we're still getting big artists.
  • The important thing to note are all the less known songs this year except She (Legitimate Front) are part of the RBVR setlist and it's very normal for a disc setlist to have music discovery.
  • LeCH24LeCH24 Opening Act
    LoopyChew said:

LeCH24 said:

You mean those obscure, D-level acts like A7X, Megadeth, Oasis, The Isley Brothers, Dream Theater, Ghost, and Garbage?

The volume of DLC may have gone down, sure, but we're still getting big artists.
    Get real.

Hate to burst your bubble, but including A7X, The Isley Brothers, Dream Theater, Ghost and Garbage as luminaries is a joke. You are fooling yourself.

When Rock Band was negotiating with The Beatles and Green Day, their A-list DLC included the likes of The Who, The Police, Queen and Nirvana. You know: legitimate contenders for a "Top 10 bands of all time" list. Not to mention gods of their genres like Iron Maiden (who Ghost was just OPENING FOR, btw), Pearl Jam, Ozzy Osbourne and Stevie Ray Vaughan.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    Worth It!
    LeCH24 said:

Hate to burst your bubble, but including A7X, The Isley Brothers, Dream Theater, Ghost and Garbage as luminaries is a joke. You are fooling yourself.

I didn't say they were luminaries, but whatever. I'm saying these groups have bona fides, not that they're up there with The Who or the Music Game Unicorns.

We got Green Day last year, and they had their own game, and I wouldn't put them up there with the Unicorns as a group whose career demanded a tribute title any more than the groups I've mentioned above. (I noticed you left Megadeth and Oasis off the list, by the way.)

I don't think "luminary" is a necessary prerequisite for a band-dedicated title/expansion.