DLC Discussion Thread: Hot and Cold

Comments

• thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited September 5
    He has since claimed that interview to be a joke, fully admits the sample, and Freddie Mercury and David Bowie are considered co-writers of Ice Ice Baby.

KS: People always say the bass line from Queen's "Under Pressure" is the exact same line from "Ice Ice Baby."

VI: Well, it is. It is the exact same one; that's why I paid them $4 million. Are you talking about that interview I did like a million years ago that I was like saying, "Mine goes 'ding ding ding dingy ding dink,' and theirs goes 'ding ding ding, ding ding?'" No, dude, that was a joke. That was a laugh and a joke. Yeah, I paid them. I sampled that song straight out. That's why when you read the credits on "Ice Ice Baby" now it says Freddie Mercury and David Bowie, because they're on there.

http://www.iowastatedaily.com/news/article_766d27d2-dc56-5ff3-9040-47e44d46094f.html
  • Weekly Challenge Prediction: Vocals gets Bonus XP
    =Spotlights=
    - Ice, Ice, Baby
    - These Hands
    - Sing (Ed Sheeran)

Looking forward to the rest of September's DLC. :)
  • I know Ice Ice Baby maybe a little too well, and I can tell you with 100% certainty that this at the very least is an alternate vocal take akin to Mother Mother. It also appears not to be the 2005 rerecord. Either way, for those of you who hunger for stems, such as they can be on a sample-based song like this, y'all appear to be in luck.
  • What a relief that he admits it now, That Mark Guy. Hip-hop's got a rich history of sampling, making something new out of something old, and it seemed ridiculous to claim otherwise. Just looking around about it more, and now he says he bought the publishing rights outright, and Brian May's people say it's being shared? I still hope Harmonix celebrates the similarities, instead of coming up with a new take on the same bass.
  • LeCH24LeCH24 Opening Act
    Word to all of your mothers.

So to speak.
  • LeCH24 said:

Word up to all of your mothers.

So to speak.

• neither of these songs do anything for me... this is probably the worst week of DLC for many months for me.

Hopefully there will be some other great stuff this month
  • JayRenaissanceJayRenaissance Road Warrior
    edited September 5

So far on the SpotLight pass:

Ted Nugent
    Vanilla Ice

Um... does this mean Kid Rock and The Verve are next??

Kid Rock (thus far) works as the counterexample of a guy whose politics I disagree with who I WOULD buy the music for...

Also, I somehow missed "Sing", so I'm going back and buying that as well! The Weekly Challenges are doing their jobs...
  • So far on the SpotLight pass:

Ted Nugent
    Vanilla Ice

Kid Rock (thus far) works as the counterexample of a guy whose politics I disagree with who I WOULD buy the music for...

Also, I somehow missed "Sing", so I'm going back and buying that as well!
    Complete opposite for me. Can't stand his music. Wouldn't even grab it if his song was part of my season pass.

As for this weeks dlc, I am just meh on them. Whitney is the winner by miles this week though .
  • uppyb0tuppyb0t Opening Act

Ted Nugent
    Vanilla Ice

You forgot Garbage.
  • Weekly Challenge Prediction: Vocals gets Bonus XP
    =Spotlights=
    - Ice, Ice, Baby
    - These Hands
    - Sing (Ed Sheeran)

Looking forward to the rest of September's DLC. :)

Don't scare me like that! :p Wow, just wow. When I guessed Vanilla Ice during the pre-RB4 hints, I didn't actually think it would happen! Well, at least I don't have to blow out my vocal cords trying to sing Whitney Houston in Rivals. ( Just when I thought hurricane Irma was the scariest thing this week...) :o
  • Sending word to my mother.

Listening to I Wanna Dance With Somebody in our basement is one of the earlier fragments I remember of my childhood. I don't remember how old I was or what the context was, but since we renovated that basement later it must have been when I was pretty young. I probably danced to it, too.
  • So far on the SpotLight pass:

Ted Nugent
    Vanilla Ice

Oh, I didn't know that connection included Vanilla Ice and The Verve. 3 Doors Down is probably next, they got a pack in RS today.
  • LoopyChew said:

Sending word to my mother.

Listening to I Wanna Dance With Somebody in our basement is one of the earlier fragments I remember of my childhood. I don't remember how old I was or what the context was, but since we renovated that basement later it must have been when I was pretty young. I probably danced to it, too.

Yeah these songs bring back memories of my childhood/early adolescence.. Gonna be hard not to purchase them both..
  • @jaystonepk If last month is anything to go by, we'll know more of September's DLC tomorrow.
  • LoopyChew said:

Sending word to my mother.

Same.
    dog037 said:

"I Wanna Dance With Somebody" is one of those songs that I burst into the chorus of at random times, along with "Let's Hear It for the Boy."

Also same.
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior

Ted Nugent
    Vanilla Ice

Oh, I didn't know that connection included Vanilla Ice and The Verve. 3 Doors Down is probably next, they got a pack in RS today.
    I think he's using a different connection for Vanilla Ice and The Verve, who have gotten into legal trouble with sampling
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited September 5
    @hiimSMAP Oh, what has Ted Nugent sampled? I can see the other 3 connections.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    this is the cheesiest 80s week ever and i love it. and i thought Hold On would never be topped for 80s cheeseball classics in RB.

looks like i'll be putting some money in Queen's and Bobby Brown's bank accounts this week.
  • kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act

@hiimSMAP Oh, what has Ted Nugent sampled? I can see the other 3 connections.

I was grouping them together in the "artists who have interesting histories" when it comes to either their political background or shady creative processes.

The Nuge --- Kid Rock
    Ding ding ding, ding ding --- Not The Rolling Stones
  • MCSMeisterMCSMeister Road Warrior
    edited September 5
    tnevaker said:

and i thought Hold On would never be topped for 80s cheeseball classics in RB.

"Hold On" is a '90s song though.
  • kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act
    edited September 5
    Edit: Never mind. Ice Ice Baby wasn't released as a single til 1990. But it was on his debut album in '89.
  • @hiimSMAP Oh, what has Ted Nugent sampled? I can see the other 3 connections.

I was grouping them together in the "artists who have interesting histories" when it comes to either their political background or shady creative processes.

The Nuge --- Kid Rock
    Ding ding ding, ding ding --- Not The Rolling Stones
    Ok, that makes sense. :)
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited September 5
    As for release dates, Ice Ice Baby will probably be sorted under 1990 in RB like how Hey Jealousy and Found Out About You are sorted under 1993 (New Miserable Experience re-release date) rather than 1992 (the original release date).

My challenge prediction is also a vox challenge but different songs:
    Vanilla Ice - "Ice Ice Baby"
    Queen - "Under Pressure"
    Paramore - "Still Into You" (repeat)

It'll be just like when E-Pro and So What'cha Want were together in the RB2 setlist.