Does anyone else think a lot of Devil tier songs are just too easy on hard?

edited September 14 in Rock Band
Songs such as Pull me Under, Cry Thunder, The Stage, Halls of Valhalla etc. I find them too easy on hard but I lack the skill to play them on expert. Pull me Under I find so boring to play to the point where I just don't want to play it at all despite me liking the song. Entire complex patterns in solos are usually just 2-3 slow button presses and it just doesn't feel satisfying or even fun.

In assuming this is intentional and not just down to laziness but I for one would definitely appreciate more of a challenge from these "impossible" songs.

Thank you

Comments

• There is always that huge difficulty leap for some songs. I do expert on every instrument but drums. I suck at drums, cats could probably drum better that I can.

Having said that, I can get 99%-100% on medium drums really easy and to the point that they're boring to play. Hard drums confounds me and is too difficult to transfer my skill set over to. It's something about the way they change the rhythms and the kick pedal. I'm sure if I kept at it I would get better, but I get frustrated knowing that I could just play expert on any other instrument and do a lot better.
  • Songs such as Pull me Under, Cry Thunder, The Stage, Halls of Valhalla etc. I find them too easy on hard but I lack the skill to play them on expert. Pull me Under I find so boring to play to the point where I just don't want to play it at all despite me liking the song. Entire complex patterns in solos are usually just 2-3 slow button presses and it just doesn't feel satisfying or even fun.

In assuming this is intentional and not just down to laziness but I for one would definitely appreciate more of a challenge from these "impossible" songs.

Thank you

They are, but I also think it depends on whether or not you are strong/weak on certain types of charts. I agree with you on Pull Me Under. I like the song a lot, but I've nearly FC'd it on Hard guitar, and I'm not some awesome player. I find myself not playing it often partially because of that. However, some of the Gn'R or Night Ranger songs give me fits because I'm not good at fast HOPO sections. Pull Me Under doesn't have any of those, which is why I have less problems with a song like that.
  • KidSleez said:

Songs such as Pull me Under, Cry Thunder, The Stage, Halls of Valhalla etc. I find them too easy on hard but I lack the skill to play them on expert. Pull me Under I find so boring to play to the point where I just don't want to play it at all despite me liking the song. Entire complex patterns in solos are usually just 2-3 slow button presses and it just doesn't feel satisfying or even fun.

Thank you

They are, but I also think it depends on whether or not you are strong/weak on certain types of charts. I agree with you on Pull Me Under. I like the song a lot, but I've nearly FC'd it on Hard guitar, and I'm not some awesome player. I find myself not playing it often partially because of that. However, some of the Gn'R or Night Ranger songs give me fits because I'm not good at fast HOPO sections. Pull Me Under doesn't have any of those, which is why I have less problems with a song like that.
    That's fair. I will say there are definitely some songs on hard that I find challenging like OGAP, Shockwave and TTFAF. I think they're fun as hell to play and I want more charts like that
  • Haha sometimes I wish there was another difficulty level between hard and expert, where they would have more gems than hard but not quite as many as expert. I notice on a lot of songs on hard they will have a series of 6 or 7 notes then a break of a beat or 2 before the next set. AT LEAST please have the notes coming at a constant rate through the song.
  • Also you can compare Raining Blood, at the famous "mosh 1" section.

RB plays something really easy on hard compared to the expert chart, GH3 was the same madness but using one button less.
  • EvilMunkyEvilMunky Unsigned
    I find Hard, at least on guitar and bass, to be too easy in general. I kind of miss the Guitar Hero days where Hard actually helped prepare you for Expert by keeping the charts mostly the same, but with a few less notes. I refuse to play Rock Band on Hard, even on the hardest of songs, not because I'm worried about my skill rating, but because I go from barely a 3*X to a Hard FC (or close to it).

Take TtFAF as an example. In Rock Band, well we all know how crazy it is on Expert, but those long alt-strum note streams just after the intro? On Hard they're just a few down-strums. The insanity HOPO's in the solo's? Mostly strum notes on Hard.

In Guitar Hero, you still had to alt-strum those streams, there were only a few less notes. Solo HOPO's were admittedly drastically reduced, but they still provided somewhat of a challenge.

And now that I've typed all this out I see @Wildcat15 has already said pretty much the same thing, in less words. So, yeah, I guess I agree with the OP. Hard needs to be harder; more of a stepping stone to Expert than it currently is.
  • When you master the difficult songs on hard, go back to the simpler ones on expert
  • @TheRainbowTrouts Agreed, the massive DLC variety is what makes the transition between difficulties less clear. Back in the old GH days, you had a setlist and playing through that setlist in order via the career mode helped you improve to the next difficulty. In GH3 I didn't go straight from TTFAF on hard to TTFAF on expert, I went from TTFAF on hard to songs like Slow Ride and Talk Dirty to Me on expert.

What I think RB4 needs rather than Hard being harder is practice mode being more integrated into the game. You know like in GH3, you could go into practice mode when you paused or failed a song and coming out of practice mode restarted the song you paused or failed on.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    The thing to keep in mind is, when the Rock Band Network came to fruition, charting standards changed when it came to Hard and lower difficulties. Anything before may actually be fairly challenging, but for whatever reason their standards made Hard difficulty a bit easier. I think the idea was to make the grind from Easy to Hard less painful, since they started introducing higher notes on all difficulties, but also downplayed Hard a bit. But personally, I feel the jump from Hard to Expert has become a bit too extreme at that point.

Though as others have pointed out, perhaps starting with easier Expert songs may help build up your skill to play those songs on Expert.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior

The thing to keep in mind is, when the Rock Band Network came to fruition, charting standards changed when it came to Hard and lower difficulties. Anything before may actually be fairly challenging, but for whatever reason their standards made Hard difficulty a bit easier. I think the idea was to make the grind from Easy to Hard less painful, since they started introducing higher notes on all difficulties, but also downplayed Hard a bit. But personally, I feel the jump from Hard to Expert has become a bit too extreme at that point.

Though as others have pointed out, perhaps starting with easier Expert songs may help build up your skill to play those songs on Expert.

They added blue and orange notes to Easy and Medium to make the jump from Medium to Hard less daunting. When Easy was just GRY, and Medium GRYB, you were able to hold your hand still and not jump up and down the neck. If you're forced to jump up and down the neck from the beginning, the jump to Hard is a bit easier.

Also, Harmonix has said before the majority of players play on Guitar and only up to Medium difficulty. I'd assume they wanted to make that Medium to Hard jump easier to encourage players to keep playing.
  • V8VANTAGEV8VANTAGE Road Warrior
    It almost feels like there needs to be a "Very Hard" option between Hard and Expert on most RB3 onward songs. Even songs with odd strumming patterns like "I Will Wait" or "Celebration" are definitely two recent DLCs where I could say this for certain. Thats where I quite like Rocksmiths Dynamic difficulty is that it has many more "levels", although, even that isn't a perfect solution.
  • Rock band is definitely too easy on hard. On GH, I liked playing on hard trying to 100% every song; it was still a challenge, but not ridiculous. But it's like taking a nap on RB.
  • I have to agree hard no longer challenges me all it does is lower your skill rating and make it harder to beat the scores on expert