DLC Discussion Thread: Bass Race

edited September 26 in Rock Band
HMXOwl said:

DLC Week of 9/21: Rick James and Switchfoot!

As September marches on, we bring two songs that have strong bass grooves while representing different ends of the musical spectrum.

Considered one of the biggest icons of funk, “Super Freak” represents one of Rick James’ finest musical achievements. One of Rolling Stone’s Greatest Songs of All Time, it spent ten weeks in the top 40 of the Billboard Hot 100. It also went on to top the Billboard Hot Dance Club Play chart and was nominated for the Grammy for Best Male Rock Vocal Performance. Guitar and bass hold down grooves through the song, with a standout bass part, playing a call-and-response with the synth. The vocal harmonies have a giant range throughout the song, which makes for some great, tough multiplayer gameplay.

Also releasing this week is “Float”, from Switchfoot’s latest album Where the Light Shines Through. Switchfoot has seen great success over their twenty year career, with 10 albums and two Grammy-nominations, including a win for 2011’s Hello Hurricane. While making Where the Light Shines Down, the band worked with producer John Fields, who produced several of their 00s-era albums (including their breakout hit The Beautiful Letdown). Where the Light Shines Through has gone on to hit the top 10 of the Billboard album chart. “Float” starts with a strong bassline over a relentless clapping beat that creates an infectious, feel-good vibe. Building into a slightly echo-y chorus punctuated with funky guitar, the song drops down a bit for the second verse and introduces a spacey synth riff going into the final chorus.

Songs can be purchased individually for $1.99 each. The Rock Band Rivals Season 2 Spotlight Pass can be purchased for $13.49.

• Rick James - "Super Freak" (Part of the Rock Band Rivals Season 2 Spotlight Pass)
  • Switchfoot - "Float"

We’ll be showing off this week’s newest DLC on our Twitch stream today starting at 5PM ET. Tune in here!

* Please note that this week’s DLC tracks will be available for purchase on Thursday, September 21st.

Comments

• Very good week and finally another of the new RBVR songs!
  • Yes, please, thank you to both!
  • Such a freaky scene, now.
  • Cue the Dave Chappelle jokes!

• RIP Charlie Murphy
  • TheStuddz said:

This is the first song that we got after it was announced for DropMix. More on the way? I hope so.

I KNOW so.
  • Also, I'm more confident that HMX are going to put Dream Genie as a spotlight song.
  • Only 9 New RBVR songs left to get as DLC. :)

This is a fitting choice for this week, since this is the week that DropMix comes out, and Super Freak is one of the songs in that game, not to mention a bass heavy song. Now we just need a 2000 song to represent the Season 2 Spotlight Pass.

Weekly Challenge Theme for this week: Groove Assassin (Bassists gets 25% XP)
    =Spotlight Songs=
    - Little Miss Can't Be Wrong (Spin Doctors) (This seems more fitting for the On-Disc Spotlight Choice than Dream Genie IMHO).
    - Obsession (Animotion)
    - Super Freak (Rick James)
  • Super Freak will hopefully be fun.

Hard pass on the Switchfoot song.
  • My full spotlight prediction is:
    Rick James - "Super Freak"
    Lightning Bolt - "Dream Genie"
    Iron Maiden - "Rime of the Ancient Mariner"
  • YOU'LL FLOAT TOO!!!
  • I like a lot of Switchfoot's older stuff, but that song in particular isn't my type of thing... and I don't think I need Superfreak... it's an okay song though.
  • WoodenGloryWoodenGlory Unsigned
    edited September 19

YOU'LL FLOAT TOO!!!

And now we have another set of memes to come from this week, thank you sir XD
  • "Super Freak" is really good, I am glad we are getting more funky stuff

I don't like Switchfoot at all, so I will pass on getting that
  • Vanilla Ice AND MC Hammer in the same month?! I may faint!
  • LoopyChew said:

Vanilla Ice AND MC Hammer in the same month?! I may Faint!

FTFY Loopy ;)
  • More seriously, I love Super Freak, but part of me would rather have had Give It To Me.

I'm happy either way.
  • @thatmarkguy I disagree because the 0 DLC week in June still bothers me. More RBVR songs getting released gives me hope all of them still come.
  • XzalorXzalor Rising Star
    Swweeeeeet!! I just listened to the Switchfoot song. It's really good, better than I expected. I'll pick that one up.
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited September 19
    I'll grab Rick James but going to pass on Switchfoot.
    Edit: I might end up grabbing it after a listen of it. I was expecting it to sound like their old stuff (which I wasn't a fan of).
    Hope to see Jolene and a couple others from Dropmix make it!

• Oh Super Freak! Now that's a song I wasn't quite expecting to see reach Rock Band (then again... We got Whitney Houston and Vanilla Ice so...). I'm sure it'll be a lot of fun to play and sing!
  • 3pic81ueUnicorn3pic81ueUnicorn Not Active Enough
    I am super surprised and happy to see "Super Freak". Plus the Switchfoot song isn't bad either.

Also, the Rivals Season Pass is really turning into quite the interesting collection of songs.
  • HELL F'N YEAH to Super Freak!

Gotta check out the Switchfoot song since I don't know it.