DLC Discussion Thread: Two Great Tastes

edited October 3 in Rock Band
HMXOwl said:

DLC Week of 9/28: Blue Öyster Cult and Shawn Mendes!

September is almost over, but we’ve got two new songs this week that will resurrect those summer jam vibes.

Blue Öyster Cult's famous hit "Burnin' For You" is the epitome of an ‘80s rock song; dynamic, distorted guitar riffs, a pulsing bass line, smooth harmonies, and energetic drums. Off of Fire of Unknown Origin, the song was an instant sensation upon its release in 1981; reaching #1 on the Billboard Top Tracks as well as spending several weeks in the Top 40 of the Billboard Hot 100. Drums kick in the song and see some heavy fill action at the end of the intro; there’s movement between rock beats and fills from verse to chorus. Buck Dharma’s vocals are pretty relaxed, so grab a friend for some harmonies. The bassline chugs under the whole song without pause, and the guitar will have you moving between lead riffs, syncopated chord strums, and a guitar solo that shreds.

A future pop classic, "There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back" appears on Shawn Mendes' sophomore album Illuminate. It has spent the past twenty weeks in the top ten across Billboard charts including the Hot 100, as well as reaching the top of charts globally. The song currently stands at #1 on the Billboard Adult Pop Songs chart. A true summer jam, Mendes’ vocal line moves quickly through the song in eighth note runs. Percussive guitar strums create a rhythm that pops against the drums and handclaps. The bass and drums groove all the way through, with tough sticking in the choruses.

Songs can be purchased individually for $1.99 each. The Rock Band Rivals Season 2 Spotlight Pass can be purchased for $13.49.

• Blue Öyster Cult - "Burnin' For You" (Part of the Rock Band Rivals Season 2 Spotlight Pass)
  • Shawn Mendes - "There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back"

We’ll be showing off this week’s newest DLC on our Twitch stream today starting at 5PM ET. Tune in here!

* Please note that this week’s DLC tracks will be available for purchase on Thursday, September 28th.

Comments

• dinomandinoman Rising Star
    Nice
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    Niiiiiiice.
  • WoodenGloryWoodenGlory Unsigned
    edited September 26
    Hey, we were right!

You know what? I'll be getting both this week.
  • Glad we got the better song this week for the Spotlight Pass. THX HMX!!
  • Disappointed about no VR songs as September's a new low (only 1 new + 1 rewind) but still a solid week.
  • Future pop classic? O_o
  • Man, that Shawn Mendes song sounds better than Treat You Better. Getting both this week.
  • JadiouJadiou Unsigned
    Awesome week, thank you!

And I was worried when I bought the spotlight pass on the first week that I would be disappointed but I have liked every single one so far.
  • Feeling both of these. Nice week!
  • HMXOwl said:

Burnin' was indeed the chart tease.

About damn time people.

Hooray!
  • Wohoo! Finally Burning for you ^^ thanks HMX
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    Hey, I've been away from the game for several months, but I caught wind of Burnin For You! Yes! I've requested it for 10 years!
  • bonethug0108bonethug0108 Headliner
    edited September 26

Disappointed about no VR songs as September's a new low (only 1 new + 1 rewind) but still a solid week.

That goes back to my theory about 4-5 of the new RBVR songs being released for free as part of an update (either as free dlc for Rivals owners or baked into the update for Rivals owners), with the rest of the new VR songs spread out until Black Friday.

Then I imagine perhaps a big celebration pack of rewinds on Black Friday (or the week before) that includes the VR songs and perhaps some others.

I expect the VR songs to be wrapped up by Black Friday, and then a focus on modern pop songs to finish the year (with hopefully one "large" big artist pack for the holidays).
  • Pumped for Burnin for you.
  • MCSMeisterMCSMeister Road Warrior

I'll never figure out how people are able to guess a song from just a screenshot of the Rock Band chart. It's not like it shows you actual notes or chords ... it's just freaky

I'm pretty sure the drum chart gave it away.
  • Grabbing Both!
    Yay for burning for you!
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    Definitely grabbing Burning For You.

Since there's no mention of an alternate version, I'm assuming we are getting the original? GH:WOR used some rerecord from the early '90s, IIRC.
  • Well, from piano notes, sure, one can play those, the actual notes! Give me a piano and 5 minutes and I could have figured that one out. Plus, yes, 3/4 time = it's a waltz, gotta be Piano Man

Drums are my weakest instrument, obviously I have no intuitive understanding of them. I don't think I could identify a single Rock Band song from just looking at the drum chart. Not one of them. I'm not convinced that more than 1% of humans (or 15% of Rock Band enthusiasts) could do that. It's freaky.

There are probably hundreds of classic hits that I couldn't identify even if you played me the actual drum track from the song itself (though that would be much, much easier). Just from the PATTERN? C'mon. There are probably dozens (hundreds? thousands?) of songs that all use the same basic beat, at least for a few measures.
  • HMXOwl said:

Burnin' was indeed the chart tease.

I'll never figure out how people are able to guess a song from just a screenshot of the Rock Band chart. It's not like it shows you actual notes or chords ... it's just freaky

Thumbs up to the song [I'll have to listen to the other one, maybe I've heard it before but I'm old so maybe not]

It helps that the song was on Guitar Hero I think. Otherwise most would have played the guessing game.
  • MCSMeisterMCSMeister Road Warrior
    edited September 26

Drums are my weakest instrument, obviously I have no intuitive understanding of them. I don't think I could identify a single Rock Band song from just looking at the drum chart. Not one of them. I'm not convinced that more than 1% of humans (or 15% of Rock Band enthusiasts) could do that. It's freaky.

There are probably hundreds of classic hits that I couldn't identify even if you played me the actual drum track from the song itself (though that would be much, much easier). Just from the PATTERN? C'mon. There are probably dozens (hundreds? thousands?) of songs that all use the same basic beat, at least for a few measures.

Maybe that's the case, but I thought HMX happened to screenshot a part of the song with a very recognizable, unique drum fill. If they screenshot literally any other part of the song (like the ones with the more basic drum beat), it would have been tougher to guess.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    pation.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior

Maybe that's the case, but I thought HMX happened to screenshot a part of the song with a very recognizable, unique drum fill. If they screenshot literally any other part of the song (like the ones with the more basic drum beat), it would have been tougher to guess.
    I think the fact that a 3-band-member score was still under 10,000 was a strong indicator the passage in question was very early in the song. So people didn't so much have to think about all songs that had a drum part like that anywhere in the song, but songs where a drum passage like that was near the start of the song.
  • Hey, I've been away from the game for several months, but I caught wind of Burnin For You! Yes! I've requested it for 10 years!

They teased us with the rewind earlier in the year... this feels much better. :)