DLC Discussion Thread: Two Great Tastes

Comments

• LoopyChew said:

I think you can take his question at face value. I Wanna Rock, despite having full stems, is super soft and strangely mixed.

Okay. I see what he's saying now. Thanks for clearing that up.
    KidSleez said:

Sucks to hear about the audio on Burnin' For You. I hope it's not as bad as Trust. That one's pretty bad. I also woulda taken the re-record of BFY from GH:WOR vs. the OG with poor audio. It's especially disappointing after Super Freak last week, which is mixed fantastically and sounds awesome.

I probably made the audio quality for "Burnin' for You" sound much worse than it actually is in my earlier comment. People on other forums are saying it's doesn't sound bad at all, so maybe I'm just over-exaggerating.

I'm used to playing with background music set to like 1/4 of the max, so I'm expecting the guitar and bass audio to really stand out. That of course doesn't happen with the songs with no stems and definitely affects my opinion of the audio quality.

Agreed 100% on the audio quality for "Super Freak". It blew me away how good the song sounded when I first played it.
  • I didn't notice anything particularly wrong with Burnin' For You when I played it.
  • jaystonepkjaystonepk Opening Act
    yoann007 said:

I chuckled a tad bit.

Come on HMX, you're going to anger the whole Facebook bunch!

My thoughts exactly. I chortled a little to myself when I saw that. Every week, WITHOUT FAIL, someone on FB finds something to **** and moan about. Twas amusing and confuzzling all at the same time when someone bitched about the spotlight pass that hadn't even bought it.
  • I didn't notice anything particularly wrong with Burnin' For You when I played it.

Same. And I don't think it has stem issues either.
  • I played "Burnin' For You" on Bass last night, and it sounds fairly muddy, but it's not a disaster. Does it have stem issues? I don't know, using whammy didn't seem to ruin the track. And somehow I got 100% (with 2 overstrums, no FC for me), so I don't yet know what it would sound like with notes unplayed by one instrument.
    And I've heard complaints about "I Wanna Rock" and just assumed they were stem related. I stand corrected.
  • jaystonepkjaystonepk Opening Act
    I played it this morning and really didn't notice any problems. I was concentrating on not missing any notes so who knows if that had any affect on my listening experience.
  • edited September 29
    The intro to "There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back" on guitar is wack, Harmonix. Fun song otherwise.
  • ElishaB1 said:

The intro to "There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back" on guitar is wack, Harmonix. Fun song otherwise.

Why, what's the deal with the intro?
  • That was the first thing I thought of when I listened to that song, "wow, I wonder how they will chart this intro?", and apparently it turned out to be just as tricky as I expected, but not in a satisfying / fair / fun way?
  • edited September 29
    KidSleez said:

ElishaB1 said:

Why, what's the deal with the intro?
    It's charted really awkwardly. I'm no expert on how things should be charted, but it seems unnecessarily difficult to me.

That was the first thing I thought of when I listened to that song, "wow, I wonder how they will chart this intro?", and apparently it turned out to be just as tricky as I expected, but not in a satisfying / fair / fun way?

Not fun is how I would describe it. I was expecting HOPOs and instead got forced strums.
  • I was always curious if there was any relationship between HOPOs being used in the RB chart and how the song is played by the actual artist.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited September 29
    @Meat-Popsicle There is and Operation Ground and Pound is the perfect example. GH3 charted the intro of OGAP to be HOPOs for a more fun chart yet RB went for the whole intro being strummed because that's what is played on real guitar.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    Some people find Visions to be harder on Hard than it is on Expert, because hard is all strums while Expert has several hopo runs in the same places.
  • I played "Burnin' For You" on Bass last night, and it sounds fairly muddy, but it's not a disaster. Does it have stem issues? I don't know, using whammy didn't seem to ruin the track. And somehow I got 100% (with 2 overstrums, no FC for me), so I don't yet know what it would sound like with notes unplayed by one instrument.
    And I've heard complaints about "I Wanna Rock" and just assumed they were stem related. I stand corrected.

I played a few rounds of Burnin' For You on guitar - here are 2 observations:

1) I'm no expert on the "stems" front, but when you miss a note, you can still hear the guitar slightly in the background.. It's noticeable, but it doesn't sound like any other instruments get affected much (maybe vocals a bit?).. Here's the thing - when you miss the note, you can hear it - but it's MUCH quieter than hit notes, so I'm not bothered too much by it.

2) There is no freestyle guitar option, even though there is a guitar solo.. I assume this is because of incomplete stems.. There was another fairly recent DLC that was like this as well, but I can't remember which song..

My overall feeling - I'll take it every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

If this is the only way to get certain classic rock songs, and the mix is always of similar quality as this, then it's not even a debate for me - sign me up.
  • @aimsmallmismall 2 isn't a factor anymore, just out of interest I checked Endless Solo mode and few non-RBVR songs this year have it so I'm thinking possibly freestyle solos went with RBVR. So like it's buried further in RB4 but in RBVR it gets to shine even brighter thanks to the special VR tech.
  • @aimsmallmismall 2 isn't a factor anymore, just out of interest I checked Endless Solo mode and few non-RBVR songs this year have it so I'm thinking possibly freestyle solos went with RBVR. So like it's buried further in RB4 but in RBVR it gets to shine even brighter thanks to the special VR tech.

Yikes.
    That would be a major bummer for me.. I really enjoy those.. Can't see why they'd nix it in RB4 for songs where it was possible..
    I talked about this on reddit a few weeks ago... both freestyle vox and freestyle guitar seem to have been dropped a lot lately.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Rockband/comments/70o1gx/has_freestyle_charting_been_silently_discontinued/
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior

Just confirming Burnin' for You has no stems and sounds kinda weird.

I just played it on guitar and thought it was fine. Maybe it's just certain parts?
  • edited September 30
    I'm back baby! I'll risk Mark's inevitable critique because I haven't been this excited about DLC since Black Betty. BOC!!! Nice choice. I guess I should actually play the song though now to see if it sounds weird? I actually held off on buying Van Halen "Cradle Will Rock" because the demo clip sounded strange to me. Its still sitting in my wishlist... bothering me...
  • @Meat-Popsicle There is and Operation Ground and Pound is the perfect example. GH3 charted the intro of OGAP to be HOPOs for a more fun chart yet RB went for the whole intro being strummed because that's what is played on real guitar.

Snow (((Hey Oh))).

End of story.
  • Groudon199Groudon199 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
    tdc002 said:

Just confirming Burnin' for You has no stems and sounds kinda weird.

I just played it on guitar and thought it was fine. Maybe it's just certain parts?
    Turn the background music all the way down and play on guitar. Does it sound like any of the other unstemmed songs?
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited October 1
    This challenge was very good timing with the incoming 2nd anniversary of RB4 next week, "Start A Band. Rock the World." indeed!

Lots of great choices there... Van Morrison, The Protomen, and Brandi Carlile all have some great candidates.

The Story would be really, really great.

I don't know much of anything about The Protomen, but Light Up the Night is magnificent.
    Get your ears on Act II: The Father of Death (the album that Light Up The Night is on). It's magnificent.
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act
    I'd be bummed to lose freestyle vocals, they're super awesome, but if the time spent on charting freestyle could instead be used to chart more songs for release per week then I'd be all for it.

I know it's foolish to assume there's any kind of correlation there though.
  • XzalorXzalor Rising Star
    Burning For You sounds so much like a RB1 song. Which is great, but I keep expecting to hear the crowd singalong :(
  • GLaDOS said:

I'd be bummed to lose freestyle vocals, they're super awesome, but if the time spent on charting freestyle could instead be used to chart more songs for release per week then I'd be all for it.

I know it's foolish to assume there's any kind of correlation there though.

I suppose they could always go back and add freestyles later. It wouldn't cause any leaderboard wipe since the scores could only get lower if you tried freestyle - not higher. The actual chart would stay the same.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    The fact that Burnin' For You appears not to have stems strikes me as odd, considering Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock has the song, and from what I remember there was full stems there. Wonder if it was a cost issue with RB4, or if the masters got damaged or lost in the years between then and now...
  • @LiveHomeVideo Just like with If You Could Only See, GH got a re-record meanwhile RB4 got the original.