DLC Discussion Thread: Two Great Tastes

Comments

• edited October 1
    Finally got a chance to play Burnin' For You. The audio sounds pretty good to me. I didn't miss any notes on my first run through, but went back and played again to flub some notes to see the result. Sounds as if it doesn't have proper stems, but I'm in no way an expert at determining that. Main point for me is that overall, the sound is good. And it was so much fun to play.

There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back was also great fun! I saw the intro on Expert that was talked about earlier. It does seem unnecessarily difficult. I'm still playing mainly on Hard and it looks like it's 2 levels below Expert, not 1. Still fun though! Great week and overall very good month. Thanks HMX! :)
  • The odd situation about Elvis is even RS only got Suspicious Minds.

Exactly, which all but confirmed my suspicions about not having anything else usable.

When it was announced they were only getting the same song we got I pretty much knew it was the nail.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP

The odd situation about Elvis is even RS only got Suspicious Minds.

Exactly, which all but confirmed my suspicions about not having anything else usable.

When it was announced they were only getting the same song we got I pretty much knew it was the nail.
    Rocksmith doesn't use full stems, so my guess is "licensing is hard"
  • Witticus said:

While they don't use full stems, they do use more than just CD rips or something equivalent. They care about quality and want to have something Hi-Def (or whatever you call it).
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard

@LiveHomeVideo Just like with If You Could Only See, GH got a re-record meanwhile RB4 got the original.

Oh, never noticed the WoR version was a re-record. Sounds pretty damn close to the original.
  • Groudon199Groudon199 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
    After watching a video online didn't help (and I realized the song's actually worth getting after a second listen), I downloaded the song to check for myself.

100% no full stems.
  • MCSMeisterMCSMeister Road Warrior

Boy, you just love sneaking these stealth puns into your posts, don't you?
  • V8VANTAGEV8VANTAGE Road Warrior

Witticus said:

While they don't use full stems, they do use more than just CD rips or something equivalent. They care about quality and want to have something Hi-Def (or whatever you call it).
    Yeah I believe it's similar to what Apple do with their "Mastered for iTunes" where they source the audio at a much higher quality than CD and downsample that wherever possible. Sometimes though, whatever is on the available albums IS what's used. And sometimes they adjust the audio (see their Runnin' Wild DLC track).

But when Harmonix does acquire the original stems, that is a similar sort of process because often the stems are beyond CD quality, but of course you will hear differences in the masterings; for better or for worse.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    GLaDOS said:

I'd be bummed to lose freestyle vocals

I missed this news! Can you link me to the announcement / tweet / leak / whatever?
    I am guessing [hoping] this just means that no future songs will be charted for freestyle vocals, but that all previously charted ones will still work?

• grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited October 2
    @Meat-Popsicle It's just a observation when you look ingame. People who have full RB4 DLC libraries can notice in their library that outside of RBVR disc songs, the amount of songs with freestyle (vocals/guitar) this year has been rather low.
  • The odd situation about Elvis is even RS only got Suspicious Minds.

Boy, you just love sneaking these stealth puns into your posts, don't you?
    I do! =)
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior

Witticus said:

because CD audio isn't "hi-def". :eyeroll: you have no idea what you're talking about. please stop spreading this nonsense.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star

The only wishlist song for me would have been A7X.

That was my initial reaction to the announcement of A7x, but then I realized that I've bought all the other A7x songs because I like them, and I would've bought the new one on its own too. :)

• So I never watched the video of Burnin' For You before and it was pretty interesting. The things that really jumped out at me:

The guy that's the focal point of the video (not one of the band members) looks just like Chris from The Sopranos (at least on my small phone). Like at times it was eerily similar.

Wtf is the singer wearing?

And, spoiler, I guess it's cool to dance around a car on fire with a burning person inside?
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    disagree all you like, but i'm really curious to hear exactly what you think "hi-def" audio is, and why you seem so convinced that CD-quality audio isn't of good enough quality for a game like RB or Rocksmith. considering that CD audio has been the standard format for over 30 years now, and that the vast majority of music people buy and listen to is either CD-quality or below, why is it then not good enough for a video game? add to that the fact that the audio files included in RS and RB DLC are all compressed, unlike CD audio files which are uncompressed, therefore losing some of the fidelity of standard CD audio, let alone whatever additional audio information would be there in any "hi-def" alternate version, it makes absolutely zero sense whatever to think CD audio is so inferior that it couldn't be used in these games.

and yet, you seem determined to keep spreading the idea that CD quality audio is inferior or not good enough. if CDs sound so bad, it must really pain you to listen to MP3s, or satellite radio, or Youtube, or streaming services, all of which offer audio quality far below the level of CDs. how can you even stand to play RB at all, considering how compressed and lo-fi those audio files are compared to the actual CD audio?
    I believe I'm the biggest B.Ö.C. fan on this forum, so it is with love that I say this video gives that "I wear tight pants" chick's video a run for its money as worst video ever.

Ya know, I take that back. The "tight pants" video is actually pretty darn awesome. This video gives Billy Idol's "Dancin' With Myself" a run for Worst Music Video Evah.

And just to be clear, I love both songs. :)

So I never watched the video of Burnin' For You before and it was pretty interesting.

Wtf is the singer wearing?

Only his iconic look that spawned this action figure:

• edited October 5
    Oops, I thought this was the thread with the Latest DLC for this Week. :p