Deckbuilding questions

As far as deckbuilding goes, are there any rules? Everything I've read implies free for all. Most of the cards seem well balanced, in that if you don't have a balanced deck, you're setting yourself up for failure. The exception is that I can't see an advantage to keeping any level one cards in your deck, which means that you could custom build a deck with no level one cards, and have a play advantage over anyone using a standard deck (which has four level one cards per set) as they'll never be able to play a level one card over your level two and up set.

For anyone interested, the premade decks are built as such, in a pack of 15:
Four Level 1 (red/blue/red/blue) cards
Four Level 2 (Red/Blue/Yellow/Green) colored cards
Four level 3 (Red/Blue/Yellow/Green) colored cards
Two white cards (level doesn't seem to matter)
One wild card

Comments

• RenrockRenrock Too bland to be banned
    You only have 80points to work with on 30 cards (or 40points on 15 cards for 4players) and can't exceed that to make a deck. Each level is a point - Level 1 = 1pt etc, and the Wild and White cards are worth 4pts.
  • Renrock is right.

L1 cards definitely are good to have, because they're usually ideal to put in empty slots. They're a safe play to pick up a color bonus, without worrying about being at high risk of an Equalizer spin.

On top of this, without any L1 cards, you might have trouble staying under the 80 point threshold with an otherwise well-balanced deck.
  • edited September 27
    Renrock said:

You only have 80points to work with on 30 cards (or 40points on 15 cards for 4players) and can't exceed that to make a deck. Each level is a point - Level 1 = 1pt etc, and the Wild and White cards are worth 4pts.

I think that might break the balance, though. a standard deck is 36 points, which is enough points to take a standard deck and just swap out the level one cards for level two cards, giving you the advantage against pre-built decks of never having the lower level cards that can't be played. and only allowing a standard deck player to use level one cards if the board is empty, or overtop of their own level one cards.
  • Renrock said:

I think that might break the balance, though. a standard deck is 36 points, which is enough points to take a standard deck and just swap out the level one cards for level two cards, giving you the advantage against pre-built decks of never having the lower level cards that can't be played. and only allowing a standard deck player to use level one cards if the board is empty, or overtop of their own level one cards.
    It also leaves you more at risk of the Equalizer, though. Not only are 2's more likely to come up than 1's, but if you're only splitting your cards across two power levels instead of all three, then you're losing more points when your opponent hits, they're clearing more of your cards from the board (making more room for their 1's), etc.

That's not to say you couldn't build a deck around higher powers, because that's absolutely a viable strategy, but there's absolutely an advantage to keeping a more balanced deck as well.
    That makes sense.

Still waiting on extra card packs to arrive so I haven't actually experimented with making my own decks yet outside of the starter cards. Will be interesting to play around with. From what I've seen on the leaked pack lists I'm looking forward to building decks around the bonus cards.
  • joseph5185joseph5185 Opening Act
    I have not heard of these drafting rules.
    Where is this?

Sounds interesting...

I have not heard of these drafting rules.
    Where is this?

Sounds interesting...

Go to the deck-builder option in the game. It will be a guide for you and help you balance and see if you're over point quota.