Best Options for Gear?

DMBilliesDMBillies Road Warrior
A lot of reasons for me to step away from RB for a while, including someone breaking into my house and stealing my old system along with dongles for most of my gear. I played with my only half-working guitar the other day, I've got the bug again, and I just need to bite the bullet and get some gear. Because I haven't been following along for a while, I'm hoping for some advice on what to get and if there's a good way to make it happen as cheap as possible.

I'm on PS4. I don't have Rivals, so I guess I need that. I would like to get 2 new guitars meant for PS4 (i.e., bluetooth, no dongles). I have a drum set for PS3 that still works. Don't use it that often because it wakes the neighbors, but I wouldn't be against a new set if it was bluetooth and/or if the new sets have some vast improvement to them. I really don't need another wired USB microphone at all. Wouldn't mind having a few wireless ones, but there aren't any I know of that are part of any kind of bundle and I probably wouldn't buy.

I guess ideally I'd find a guitar or band bundle + an additional separate guitar? Not seeing standalone guitars anywhere, did they make them? Thoughts and advice appreciated, especially for anyone who has been pretty out of the loop for a couple of years.

Comments

• LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited September 27
    Welcome back! Sorry to hear of your break-in, but I do remember you from way back when.

Standalone guitars should still be a thing. Check GameStop or Amazon, I guess would be your safest options. But yes, band bundle and standalone guitar is probably your best bet.
  • I recently picked up the Rockband Rivals guitar bundle with the blue Jaguar and a separate RB4 white Fender off of Amazon.
  • stixman6 said:

I recently picked up the Rockband Rivals guitar bundle with the blue Jaguar and a separate RB4 white Fender off of Amazon.

My brother has done the same, and would definitely recommend this as well. Good luck to you.
  • DMBilliesDMBillies Road Warrior
    I kind of figured Amazon was going to be my best bet in this day and age, but I wasn't even sure about all my options or if there was some inside info I should know. I found one of the white fenders. Those don't fold, right? Has the folding on the jaguars caused any problems for people now that those have been around a while?
    LoopyChew said:

Welcome back! Sorry to hear of your break-in, but I do remember you from way back when.

Really sucks when you come home to realize you weren't the only one there. Nonetheless, my entire experience at that place was a great life lesson.

• It's not like GH3 neck issues, there's no touching electronics on our neck, it's 100% plastic there.

Also hi, welcome back!
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    I'll piggy back on to this topic.

I have 2 guitars, one that came with a Rock Band 4 bundle, and the Jaguar that came with the Rivals bundle (on sale, and for backup). I almost always use the regular Rock Band guitar because the tilt sensitivity on the Jaguar guitar was not good, that I had to really jerk the guitar up high to activate and it would mess me up.

Well, my regular RB4 guitar has changed so that I have to basically do the same thing. I will sometimes tilt (not enough) and it will no longer activate. Is there any adjustment I can do in-game or on the guitar to get the sensitivity back to how it was or am I SOL?

• thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    Join the cult of the button-activation. JOIN US.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned

Join the cult of the button-activation. JOIN US.

Good point and sadly I did not even consider that. I know when I stopped playing RB3 (got busy with other interests), my tilt totally broke so that was the only way to start overdrive. I tried it some but could not get used to it in the limited time I tried.

Maybe, it is time to try again but tough to teach an old dog new tricks...

• Since the topic of gear was brought up, I have a few questions. Has anyone seen any Jags reasonably priced for XB1 lately? Gamestop has them for $39.99, but store pickup only, and none in my area. I wanted to grab 1 or 2 to have as backups. Also, has anyone had their Jag strum bar stop working on them? My OG Rivals launch day bundle blue Jag won't downstrum anymore.
  • dabrry0523dabrry0523 Road Warrior
    KidSleez said:

Since the topic of gear was brought up, I have a few questions. Has anyone seen any Jags reasonably priced for XB1 lately? Gamestop has them for $39.99, but store pickup only, and none in my area. I wanted to grab 1 or 2 to have as backups. Also, has anyone had their Jag strum bar stop working on them? My OG Rivals launch day bundle blue Jag won't downstrum anymore.

I'm not quite sure what you would consider being reasonably priced, but Amazon is always a good place to check. If your in the United States, then https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=rock+band+jaguar+guitar+&rh=i:aps,k:rock+band+jaguar+guitar+

It looks like there is very limited stock especially for Xbox one gear, but I would keep an eye on websites like Amazon, Best Buy. Target and or Gamestop, maybe even eBay, considering it looks like most websites are actually selling out of the Rock Band gear
  • DMBilliesDMBillies Road Warrior
    Just to follow-up, I got the Jaguar and game at my local GameStop for $40. They had the drum bundle for $100 and I might still go back and get that because it seems like a pretty good price for all updated instruments. There were options online at Amazon that were comparable, but I got a bug on a Friday night and I "needed" it NOW. Really happy with the guitar overall so far. Definitely like that it is actually BT rather than the dongle, which is the biggest reason I'm thinking about going back for the drums and another guitar. Just need to play this enough for a little while to convince my girlfriend that we "need" that too :smile:
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    KidSleez said:

Since the topic of gear was brought up, I have a few questions. Has anyone seen any Jags reasonably priced for XB1 lately? Gamestop has them for $39.99, but store pickup only, and none in my area. I wanted to grab 1 or 2 to have as backups.

Me personally: I would drive to a Gamestop that has them and pick up three. $40 is a good price.
    KidSleez said:

Also, has anyone had their Jag strum bar stop working on them? My OG Rivals launch day bundle blue Jag won't downstrum anymore.

Yeah, my Red Jag has never strummed right and my favorite click-tar Blue Jag is starting to suffer from "bounce-back" strums on the upstroke. I also returned several Blue Jags immediately due to the crappy strum-bars not being good. I sure wish ByteArts would put out a Jag-compatible rev of their StrumFix.
  • KidSleez said:

Since the topic of gear was brought up, I have a few questions. Has anyone seen any Jags reasonably priced for XB1 lately? Gamestop has them for $39.99, but store pickup only, and none in my area. I wanted to grab 1 or 2 to have as backups. Also, has anyone had their Jag strum bar stop working on them? My OG Rivals launch day bundle blue Jag won't downstrum anymore.

I'm not quite sure what you would consider being reasonably priced, but Amazon is always a good place to check. If your in the United States, then https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=rock+band+jaguar+guitar+&rh=i:aps,k:rock+band+jaguar+guitar+

It looks like there is very limited stock especially for Xbox one gear, but I would keep an eye on websites like Amazon, Best Buy. Target and or Gamestop, maybe even eBay, considering it looks like most websites are actually selling out of the Rock Band gear
    Yeah, I've been checking all those sites often, but most don't have any stock. eBay does, so I may wind up going that route. I don't want to pay more than $60 anywhere.
  • KidSleez said:

Since the topic of gear was brought up, I have a few questions. Has anyone seen any Jags reasonably priced for XB1 lately? Gamestop has them for $39.99, but store pickup only, and none in my area. I wanted to grab 1 or 2 to have as backups.

Me personally: I would drive to a Gamestop that has them and pick up three. $40 is a good price.
    KidSleez said:

Also, has anyone had their Jag strum bar stop working on them? My OG Rivals launch day bundle blue Jag won't downstrum anymore.

Yeah, my Red Jag has never strummed right and my favorite click-tar Blue Jag is starting to suffer from "bounce-back" strums on the upstroke. I also returned several Blue Jags immediately due to the crappy strum-bars not being good. I sure wish ByteArts would put out a Jag-compatible rev of their StrumFix.
    I would also buy several at $40, but the Gamestop website says there are literally none available anywhere around me when I enter my zip code :(

Yeah, I noticed that Byte Arts does not have a Jag-compatible strum bar. I doubt they're going to make one either. It's too bad since I want to fix my broken blue Jag strum. I like the Jags and it would be nice to be able to use all my guitars again.
  • KidSleez said:

You're not the only one with the non-downstrumming Jag. Do something with warranty if it's only been 90 days.

Otherwise, you could in theory call it a bass-only unit... :disappointed:

• KidSleez said:

You're not the only one with the non-downstrumming Jag. Do something with warranty if it's only been 90 days.

Otherwise, you could in theory call it a bass-only unit... :disappointed:

It's almost a year old; got it at Rivals launch, so I'm outta luck regarding the warranty.

Using strictly as a bass is at least better than it just collecting dust.