Best way to practice/improve HOPOs??

These things often kill me. I thought I would pick it up just from playing but I have a bad habit of wanting to strum every note, this is doable in some songs of course but not the most difficult songs.

Any suggestions how to improve here?

Practice mode? Certain songs? Need to make it so it is second-nature to not strum these, but my brain won't listen, at least not consistently. And I find the patterns very tricky at high speed. I play expert Bass and I think dropping down to Hard would screw me up more than help as everything moves slower.

Comments

• GGAHT intro. RB1 engine couldn't manually place HOPOs, so it's got aggressively generous HOPOs there.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited September 27
    Landslide (if you got it when you could) is my go-to for hopo practice.

Guitar, of course. It doesn't even have bass.
    djb5f1 said:

dropping down to Hard would screw me up more than help as everything moves slower.

Oh, the fix to this is easy. Hard but with breakneck speed to make the track move as fast-as-exprt. But dj, you and I both know you don't want to be letting Hard scores get logged. So if you do this, keep it in practice mode.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    HMXOwl said:

GGAHT intro. RB1 engine couldn't manually place HOPOs, so it's got aggressively generous HOPOs there.

If you are talking guitar, I played this song a couple of weeks ago and got destroyed. It's out of my league currently. Maybe the intro is more manageable, will give it another look.

Landslide (if you got it when you could) is my go-to for hopo practice.

Guitar, of course. It doesn't even have bass.

djb5f1 said:

dropping down to Hard would screw me up more than help as everything moves slower.

Oh, the fix to this is easy. Hard but with breakneck speed to make the track move as fast-as-exprt. But dj, you and I both know you don't want to be letting Hard scores get logged. So if you do this, keep it in practice mode.
    Landslide is a sore subject, I really want that song but it was delisted before I got back into Rock Band and when it was available, I was such a casual player, I only bought my favorite of favorite songs.

Is Hard on Breakneck exactly the same speed as Expert? But HOPO patterns are easier? I guess it would have to be.

Yes, Definitely true on Hard scores messing up the skill rating, so it would have to be practice mode. I don't think I have ever explored practice mode or breakneck speed

Bass has a lot of repeating patterns but even songs like Rapture, Ridin' in My Chevy, and Breakdown have given ne trouble with the same HOPO section over and over and it doesn't seem like they should. Mental block maybe.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited September 28
    You can choose the breakneck speed. I can’t remember which one makes hard as fast as default expert - my memory’s trying to tell me 1.75x but my memory has been known to be a filthy liar.

Everybody Wants To Rule The World’s intro on guitar is pretty hoporiffic.
  • jaystonepkjaystonepk Opening Act
    Stupid-fast HOPOs still pretzel my fingers but mid-speed ones I'm much better with. Bombtrack (intro especially) from RageATM and In the Meantime from Spacehog are good practice ones for me.

Don't go back to hard. Try breakneck at 1.50 speed. That's where I'm currently playing at. Try this, play a song you know gives you problems with HOPOs at normal speed. Then turn on breakneck and play the same song again. See if you notice a difference. Resist the urge to strum everything and try to play the HOPOs naturally.

I could NEVER get In the meantime higher than 3X until I turned breakneck on. First time I re-played I got it up to 4X and by the 3rd re-play it was at 5X. It was a night and day difference. Don't think I've golded it yet but 5X is good enough for now.
  • Hard difficulty gets rid of almost all HOPOS except on the hardest songs... and even then you will only then see them in solos. Expert is where it's at. Another HOPOrific song is "She's Always a Woman" by Billy Joel. "Blurry" by Puddle of Mud is another. And of course there's always the bass riff on "Hysteria" by Muse, lol. Good luck! One other thing you can try to limber up the fingers is to always try to play the solos as all HOPOS, even if they don't call for it.
  • Hard difficulty gets rid of almost all HOPOS except on the hardest songs... and even then you will only then see them in solos. Expert is where it's at. Another HOPOrific song is "She's Always a Woman" by Billy Joel. "Blurry" by Puddle of Mud is another. And of course there's always the bass riff on "Hysteria" by Muse, lol. Good luck! One other thing you can try to limber up the fingers is to always try to play the solos as all HOPOS, even if they don't call for it.

That's not really true about Hard not having HOPOs. There's plenty of choices. Blurry has those HOPOs on Hard too, if I'm not mistaken. Better by G n'R has lots of HOPOs to practice on.

It's funny that you mention playing solos as HOPOs even if they don't call for it. I've often accidentally played notes as HOPOs when they weren't because they felt like they shoulda been!
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    GG&HT, Freebird, and Blurry by Puddle of Mudd are good HOPO practice. The first two are still HOPO heavy on hard, but I don't remember if Blurry keeps them all there.
  • VolTRHVolTRH Opening Act
    I've always felt that "My Name Is Jonas" is a perfect HOPO warm-up song. It contains long, unbroken sections of relatively simple HOPO patterns at a good pace.
  • On bass?
    Muse of course! Seriously though, Hysteria is almost all HO/PO.
    The chorus of Hey Man, Nice Shot by Filter from RB3.
    Love Spreads by The Stone Roses.
    Funk #49 by The James Gang.
    Toys in the Attic by Aerosmith which you're sure to have since it's on disc for RB4.
    London Calling by The Clash.
    Peace Frog by The Doors.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    Yes, bass. These are all good recommendations - but I think I need intermediate ones (easy ones I can strum by habit which isn't good but really hard ones I can't keep up with. Learning curve you know.
    I agree that Blurry is a good one but it's tougher for me than the dots indicate. Bulls on Parade is another Rage song that's on the easier side. Love Spreads is a kind of like Blurry, a bit tougher but not in Muse or Primus territory.
  • OakTeaOakTea Road Warrior
    Less Talk More Rokk by Freezepop (If I didn't spell that incorrectly) is great fun to practice HOPOs. It'll probaby be out of your league for now, but don't be afraid to go into practice mode, where you can slow down the songs! It could be a good way to practice HOPOs on your favourite songs. Play a section slow until you can get 100%, then increase the speed. See how high of a streak you can get while only strumming when you need to.
  • djb5f1 said:

Yes, bass. These are all good recommendations - but I think I need intermediate ones (easy ones I can strum by habit which isn't good but really hard ones I can't keep up with. Learning curve you know.

I don't think bass has a lot of those. Franklin's Tower by The Grateful Dead maybe? That might be too easy.
  • ThumprrThumprr Unsigned
    Short skirt/Long jacket has some repetitive HOPOs (on both bass and guitar) that I find to be pretty good practice.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    A lot of the Bob Marley songs off Legend are good HO/PO practice too. Namely Is This Love.
  • Decided to play a Tom Petty (R.I.P.) song while I had it on for the new AIC songs and Free Fallin' seems to be exactly what you want. It does have a bunch of chords though. Also Down in a Hole may be appropriate as well.
  • I'm decent at 3 or 4 more runs but alternating 2 note patterns trip me up all the time.
  • albert_24 said:

I'm decent at 3 or 4 more runs but alternating 2 note patterns trip me up all the time.

You mean trills? Yeah, they're a serious pain, but I've found them to be MUCH easier when they're charted as lanes. My other nemesis is fast descending triplets (ie. Y->R->G or O->B->Y repeating really fast). Can't for the life of me hit them consistently, and most of the time miss more than half of a section. I do much better when they go the other way (G->R->Y or Y->B->O). I find that a bit strange, since in my ScoreHero days, people used to say descending notes should be easier because it's more natural for your fingers to work that way. I dunno, I could just be an odd duck.
  • joseph5185joseph5185 Opening Act
    As others have said, just any song that is primarily ALL HOPOs ... or close.

My Name is Jonas
    Landslide
    Here Without You
    Hysteria

And many more I can't think of all top. They are all fairly gentle songs and hey, if you mess up. No big deal. I don't think anyone started out hitting everything. The first time I even attempted HARD on GH II and saw Orange I was like "yea...this is impossible", but it turns out...it's not.

GOOD LUCK!
    Hysteria is NOT a gentle HOPO bass song IMHO. There are 3 songs in my catalog still at 2 stars. Hysteria is one of them. The others are Jerry Was a Race Car Driver and Jesus Built my Hotrod. Hmm, maybe it's related to songs about cars for me as another song that completely gives me fits is Gasoline from Audioslave. I know the charts, for the most part, but my brain simply won't let my fingers do what they need to do.
  • Telling someone to learn HOPOs with Hysteria is like recommending people learn alt-strumming with Snow.
  • WoodenGloryWoodenGlory Unsigned
    edited October 14
    HMXOwl said:

Telling someone to learn HOPOs with Thunderstruck (Live) is like recommending people learn alt-strumming with the outro to Where The Light Was Born

In that they're both good ways to detract someone from picking up a guitar for a while
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    I haven't practiced per se but feel like I have gotten a little better with HOPOs in the last week. I am sure I am strumming some (hard habit to break) but some I have naturally converted to non-strumming.

That is the key, if you have to think about it, it is already too late!
    djb5f1 said:

I haven't practiced per se but feel like I have gotten a little better with HOPOs in the last week. I am sure I am strumming some (hard habit to break) but some I have naturally converted to non-strumming.

Completely agree. I routinely score better on sightreads versus when I know the track, have played it a few times and try to anticipate, badly, where my fingers need to be.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned

djb5f1 said:

Completely agree. I routinely score better on sightreads versus when I know the track, have played it a few times and try to anticipate, badly, where my fingers need to be.
    It's funny you say that but absolutely agree. My scores are often best on sight reads when I am loose and relaxed. I replay songs and anticipate the hard parts and screw up more. Over time, sure, as my skill increases I can beat old scores but there is something said to playing a song for the first time and not knowing what is in store!

• I always played the easier stuff like The Joker on expert until I learned hopos