Comments

• Radiohead97Radiohead97 Rising Star
    I'm game

Oingo Boingo - Only a Lad (GH:80's)
  • -Only a Lad

I don't remember exactly what tier this was at in '80s, but I do know it was probably too high. Vocals should be tough if Weird Science is anything to go by, while drum and bass are pretty middle-of-the-road.
  • MCSMeisterMCSMeister Road Warrior
    Made in Mexico - "Yes We Can" (GHII)
    edited October 1
    Also, as an added question, could you perhaps tier the two I requested on your original thread that you never got around to? I also requested "Y.M.C.A." earlier in that thread. Whenever time allows, of course, but I feel like it'd make sense to catch up on unfinished requests from the last thread instead of abandoning them.
  • Queensrÿche - "Jet City Woman" (GHWOR)
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    Cool concept for a thread, wonder how I missed it last time. Anyways, sure I'll bite.

Children of Bodom - Living Dead Beat (GHWOR DLC)
  • Suicidal Tendencies - "Institutionalized" (GH2)
  • -Institutionalized
    Still just as insane on guitar as it was in GH2. Bass and drums offer a decent challenge as well, mainly thanks to the choruses, but vocals are an obvious cakewalk.

-Jet City Woman
    This would probably be 3 dots on guitar if not for the last part of the solo.

-Living Dead Beat
    this one was really hard to figure out guys

-Mr. Roboto
    This was a 4/10 on vocals in Band Hero. I'm no vocal tiering expert, but that seems a bit ridiculous.

-Play That Funky Music
    This sounds like it'd be ridiculously fun on guitar and bass, though then again, most funk is.

-Y.M.C.A.
    Another one I feel Band Hero undertiered on vocals. At least 6/10 isn't as bad, but... c'mon.

-Yes We Can
    I literally had no idea what genre would best encompass no wave. That being said, this actually sounds pretty neat.
    edited October 1
    Awesome, thanks for catching up on the old requests! Haha, I'd seriously love to play that ridiculous Made in Mexico song in RB, as hated as it is. Drums sound so offbeat and all over the place, I honestly think they should be devils. The other three look great, as well. I originally requested "Mr. Roboto" and "Y.M.C.A." because I wanted to see how they'd be tiered without the keys/horns bits GH charted to guitar, but since we're on RB4 tiering rules and not RB3 rules, I imagine that's still factored in (especially considering there's not much guitar in "Y.M.C.A." that I can hear). Feel free to clarify that, though.

Royal Blood - "Little Monster" (GHL)

Here's a song from Guitar Hero Live. Really hoping we see more Royal Blood as DLC, and I'd love to get this one. However, I'm not sure how you want to tier it, considering it's just bass, drums, and vocals, but you could pull what Harmonix did for "Figure It Out", where they charted most of the bass to guitar and some of it to bass.

On another note, it hasn't been established how many songs you're allowing us to request, but I guess it's only one right now, correct?
  • Yeah, I'm doing RB4 rules by now, so I'll chart keys and horns to guitar for the most part. I'm willing to take two songs per post, too.

Also, before I forget, I made a few mistakes in that batch. Mr. Roboto should be classic rock and Play That Funky Music should be funk, and Living Dead Beat has harmonies.

---

-Little Monster
    I'm just going to assume guitar and bass have basically the same chart on songs like this, and this one sounds like it'd be on the higher end of moderate difficulty all-around. I dig Royal Blood, too; "Loose Change" is a personal favorite of mine.
    edited October 2
    That sounds good. Another question, then: are Guitar Hero TV songs counted here? I know @TubaDude49 doesn't include them in his Completing Guitar Hero thread, so wondering if they're allowed here.
  • No problem with GHTV. I'm already doing DLC songs, and those seem like they're in the same ballpark to me, so why not?
    edited October 2
    Awesome, that opens up some more possibilities then. Good Royal Blood tier there, as well. I was gonna ask why bass would be higher than guitar if it's a virtually identical chart, but seeing as how "Figure It Out" also had bass one dot higher than guitar, it's certainly plausible. Plus, bass difficulty is judged slightly differently than guitar difficulty, and bass charts that are rather different from the "typical" bass chart are likely to get tiered higher.

With that, here's the first GHTV request, plus a gem from Guitar Hero: Aerosmith.

Aerosmith - "Mama Kin" (GHA)
    Haim - "The Wire" (GHTV)

Sorry for the influx of requests today, by the way, I'm just really excited a new tier "request" thread is back (even though there are restrictions). That said, no worries if these next ones take a day or so.
    Courtney Barnett - Pedestrian at Best (GHTV)
    Deftones - Diamond Eyes (GHTV)
  • -Mama Kin
    This gets bumped up a bit on everything due to the fast pace, but it shouldn't be too much trouble. Bass is the star of the show for once.

-The Wire
    I'm not super into pop, but this was actually a pretty neat song. I feel like I might've overtiered vocals, though; I tend to fall into the trap of "clean female vocals = hard" a lot.

-Pedestrian at Best
    This was great. Whether or not you think it should be a zero or devils on vocals really depends on whether or not you think it should be a talky. I don't.

-Diamond Eyes
    Love me some Deftones. Matter of fact, I'm wearing a Deftones shirt right now. A bit tricky on guitar and bass, but it gets bumped down for repetitiveness. Drums and vocals should be a hell of a time, though.
    The Gaslight Anthem - The '59 Sound (GHLive dlc)
    Hoobastank - The Reason (GHLive dlc)
    edited October 2
    Thanks for those tiers. I actually don't think you're far off on "The Wire"'s vocal tier; Haim are a very vocal-oriented group in general, and Danielle's singing style might be a bit challenging. Not sure if it'd be 5 dots-challenging, but I could certainly see it being the highest-tiered part in that song since the instruments are fairly tame in comparison. "Mama Kin" is a bit of a deeper cut, but seeing as how they've been picking some more obscure stuff for the Aerosmith packs (not to mention we have a lot of the big ones already) I could see it making a potential 4th pack. Fantastic bass part, as you said, but drums sound just as fun for a 3-dotter.

Also, it's interesting to see that you thought "Pedestrian at Best" would be pitched. I definitely think Harmonix would just make it all talkies, but it's hard to judge how they'll handle vocals. By comparison, @LiveHomeVideo tiered everything 0 dots (though it was tiered relatively for her RB5 setlist) so she thought the exact opposite.

Here's another underrated Aerosmith song from GH:A, plus a song I can finally cross off of my tier wishlist.

Aerosmith - "Kings and Queens" (GH:A)
    Of Monsters and Men - "Mountain Sound" (GHL)

I have to admit, it's kind of hard finding Guitar Hero songs I want tiered that have a) not been in Rock Band and b) haven't been tiered by anyone to my knowledge. The latter might not be an issue for some people, but I prefer to mostly request songs that are new to the "tiering oeuvre", so to speak.

Also, it's interesting to see that you thought "Pedestrian at Best" would be pitched. I definitely think Harmonix would just make it all talkies, but it's hard to judge how they'll handle vocals. By comparison, @LiveHomeVideo tiered everything 0 dots (though it was tiered relatively for her RB5 setlist) so she thought the exact opposite.

To be fair, I would think the ends of every chorus would be pitched, though yeah I kinda figured everything else would be talkies, since it's sort of spoken word-like. Though if they were to pitch everything (something similar to Sheryl Crow's "All I Wanna Do"), then yeah it would most definitely deserve a devil tier.
  • In honor of Tom Petty...

- Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - Listen to Her Heart (GH: WoR)
    edited October 2

To be fair, I would think the ends of every chorus would be pitched, though yeah I kinda figured everything else would be talkies, since it's sort of spoken word-like. Though if they were to pitch everything (something similar to Sheryl Crow's "All I Wanna Do"), then yeah it would most definitely deserve a devil tier.

Oh yeah definitely; if anything, that's the only part of the song that'd be pitched for sure. I know when @Wheatsquares33 tiered it for their short-lived monthly setlist thread, they agreed on that as well, though I highly doubt that would make it a 2-dot chart like they put it at.

In honor of Tom Petty...

I mean, they retracted the death reports and he's apparently still alive, but things still aren't looking good for him right now.
  • -Listen to Her Heart
    Rest in peace, Tom.

-The '59 Sound
    Sounds like it'd be a decently fun song. I'd actually never listened to Gaslight Anthem before this, and I think a reviewer described them best: a heartland rock version of Social Distortion.

-The Reason
    Super easy on everything but vocals. The fact that this was nominated for the Song of the Year Grammy baffles me, but then again, so does Evanescence's Fallen getting an Album of the Year nomination.

-Kings and Queens
    I was not expecting this to be as epic as it was. Moderate difficulty on the instruments, basically hell on vocals.

-Mountain Sound
    More vocal hell, except this time it's for hipsters.

-Crossfire
    SRV songs are some of my favorites to play on guitar. I'd consider this one of his easier songs, but the fact that it's still a 4 should say something.
  • Alice in Chains - Them Bones (GH2)
    Asia - Heat of the Moment (GH: 80's)
  • -Them Bones
    -Heat of the Moment

These are going to be so wrong in a few days.
    Danzig - Mother (GH2)
    Incubus - Anna Molly (GH: OT)
    edited October 5
    Haha, when I was relistening to some songs from GH:A a year or two ago, I had completely forgotten about Kings and Queens' epicness and I was completely taken aback by that. Makes me wish it was a more appreciated song from them. But yeah, overall it's pretty mid-tier on everything except vocals, but still sounds like it'd be enjoyable. I also hope we see "Mountain Sound" down the line; considering we got "Little Talks", that seems likely. Not a terribly challenging song, but fun enough to listen to in any case. Great male/female vocal interplay on that one and would be great for those who can play harmonies.

For my next request, since I recently saw Foster the People (one of my favorite bands) live, I'll give you the only Foster the People song that GH got that isn't in RB (which LiveHomeVideo already tiered for me, but I want to see what you put it as for the sake of it). Along with that is some punky alt-rock that sounds straight out of the '90s.

Bully - "Trying" (GHTV)
    Foster the People - "Coming of Age" (GHTV)

Also, Heat of the Moment comparison coming tomorrow, as well as a three-way tier comparison between you, @LiveHomeVideo, and @FritzyKatz.
    Let's see how you did with "Heat of the Moment". Note that I haven't actually played it yet only because I wanted to be on time with the comparison, but I should get a chance to within the next couple of days.

"Heat of the Moment" comparison

Pretty interesting comparison here, with two instruments spot-on (guitar and drums), two dots off for bass, and 3 dots off for vocals. I will say, I've noticed you tend to be quick to jump to devils on vocals (especially in the few I've requested) when they may not actually be as hard to sing as they seem. I do agree with HMX here; it doesn't sound like Heat of the Moment is super hard to sing and is actually fairly tame, with only two real "melodies" going on (the verses repeat the same melody for each two lines, plus the hook's melody that doesn't really change much).

And of course, the three-way comparison between you, @FritzyKatz, and @LiveHomeVideo. Obviously your vocal tier sticks out like a sore thumb (not unlike Fritzy's drum tier) but hey, it happens :p Despite that anomaly, your tier is the closest out of any of the three, as it has two spot-on tiers whereas the other two just have one.
    Here's some wildly different songs for ya! I'll include gameplay previews for these within Guitar Hero, though keep in mind that Rock Band may chart things a bit differently, which would affect tiers.

Dethklok - Bloodlines (GH:WoR)
    Negramaro - Nuvole E Lenzuola (GHWT)
  • ah man, GHTV had some good stuff, a shame Live didn't pick up as much steam as its predecessors (at least it seems that way), here's another one from their dlc list (requested it somewhere before, but whatevs, it's a good song imo!)

Kurt Vile - Pretty Pimpin (GHTV)
  • Elbow - Grounds for Divorce (GHL)
    Kent - Vinternoil2 (GHWT)