DLC Discussion Thread: Good Things Come In Threes

edited October 17 in Rock Band
HMXOwl said:

DLC Week of 10/12: Alice in Chains Pack 03!

Get heavy this week with Seattle rockers Alice In Chains!

Alice In Chains blurs the genres of the ‘90s, straddling grunge, heavy metal, and alt rock. We know that the band can't be defined by a single genre, but their signature sound comprised of unique vocal melodies coupled with intense guitar parts makes their continued influence on American rock music impossible to deny.

Their 1990 debut album Facelift gave us their well-known single “Man in the Box” and we’re going into the Rock Band vault to bring it back! This song is a staple of ‘90s pop culture due to its bold lyrics, music composition, and high production value. The vocals and guitar have the most active parts, but the song is fun for everyone to jam on.

“Down In A Hole” and “Them Bones” were originally released on Alice In Chains’ second studio album Dirt, the band’s quadruple platinum release from 1992. These two songs are great examples of the raw emotion and musical spectrum that the band gives to their songs. With singles like these, it’s no surprise why the album was a massive success. “Them Bones,” the opening track of the album, showcases a heavier guitar part and Jerry Cantrell’s vocal style right in the intro. There are awesome harmonies to keep up with throughout the song and a pretty difficult guitar solo before the verse. “Down In A Hole” features more signature vocals from Cantrell with plenty of drum and bass fills that heighten the emotion of the song.

Alice in Chains Pack 03 will be available for $5.49. Songs can be purchased individually for $1.99 each. The Rock Band Rivals Season 2 Spotlight Pass can be purchased for $13.49.

• "Down In A Hole" (Part of the Rock Band Rivals Season 2 Spotlight Pass)
  • "Man in the Box" (Rock Band 2 Rewind)
  • "Them Bones"

* Please note that this week’s DLC tracks will be available for purchase on Thursday, October 12th.

Comments

• edited October 10
    What a pleasant surprise. ;)
  • ...Eh, missed opportunity to put Them Bones as Spotlight, but again, I'll be getting them both.
  • Glad packs are finally back (it has been over 8 months since the last one) and it's a fantastic pack. Surprised Down in a Hole was picked for spotlight pass, it'll be interesting what the final challenge is as the Halloween theme has already been fitted into another season 2 challenge (challenge 7).
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    I can't like this enough. Can't wait to play both! Already have "Man in the Box" of course.
  • 3pic81ueUnicorn3pic81ueUnicorn Not Active Enough
    I'm not a huge fan of Alice in Chains, but I'm happy to finally see another pack and I'll still buy Them Bones.
  • edited October 10
    I would rather have Them Bones as the Season 2 Spotlight Pass over Down In A Hole. (Yes, the latter song charted higher than the former in the US Mainstream Rock Charts, but the former charted higher than the latter in the Irish and UK Charts, and had charted in the Modern Rock Charts.) I'm disappointed that Them Bones was passed for the Spotlight Song over a song that only charted in 3 music charts. :|

But I digress, I'm happy that we're getting a DLC Track Pack for this month. And I'm looking forward to whatever surprise that Harmonix has in store for this month (Assuming it's going to be a development update for Rock Band. I'm hoping it is. :) )

Weekly Challenge Theme: Power Ballads (@Jaidou confirmed that LP's Weekly Challenge Theme of Choice will be next week)
    =Spotlight Song=
    - Cedarwood Road (U2)
    - Down In a Hole (Alice In Chains)
    - Every Rose Has It's Thorn (Poison)

This season of Rock Band Rivals Mode will be the first time that my crew will be promoted to Bloodstone. :)

EDIT: Changed the Weekly Challenge Theme. And also, after seeing everyone's comments on how Them Bones would be a huge seller for those who has and doesn't have the Spotlight Pass, I can see that that is a huge point that is taken for granted and thus, I am going to agree with them.
  • ...Eh, missed opportunity to put Them Bones as Spotlight, but again, I'll be getting them both.

Probably the wiser move. This way gets more money out of me because Them Bones is an absolute instabuy while Down In A Hole, as a single, I might have delayed or waffled.
    True, I liked the whole "songs from past GH games" pattern we had going with a few of them, but minor nitpick :p
  • So does this mean that we're back to three songs a week?
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    Good for fans, but I could never get into AiC myself so pass
  • @FritzyKatz Given we've been told that the winning season 1 crew didn't get their own challenge but rather got to pick the 2 spotlight songs not in the spotlight pass for a challenge, Give It Away and Closer Closer were likely their picks as all songs were eligible in challenge 1.
  • Thank you Harmonix! <3

p.s. what's up at 1:04 with drummers OD activation?
  • Jadiou said:

@FritzyKatz Given we've been told that the winning season 1 crew didn't get their own challenge but rather got to pick the 2 spotlight songs not in the spotlight pass for a challenge, Give It Away and Closer Closer were likely their picks as all songs were eligible in challenge 1.

As a member of LP I can say this is not true. Our challenge is next week and we picked the challenge songs and 2 spotlight songs. I’ll give no spoilers though.
    Yeah. Just like every other time a person/people picked songs, it's noted. We don't throw a mystery into the void, half the point is that the person/people get to see their name.
  • Jadiou said:

@FritzyKatz Given we've been told that the winning season 1 crew didn't get their own challenge but rather got to pick the 2 spotlight songs not in the spotlight pass for a challenge, Give It Away and Closer Closer were likely their picks as all songs were eligible in challenge 1.

As a member of LP I can say this is not true. Our challenge is next week and we picked the challenge songs and 2 spotlight songs. I’ll give no spoilers though.
    Nice to know, I was just going off what Derek said earlier in the season.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    I've already got Man in the Box, definitely grabbing the new two.

Totally unrelated and nitpicky, why the hell is one of the note tracks always in Breakneck Speed in these preview videos? Typically, it's guitar, but drums on "Man in the Box" is in Breakneck in this video too. It's just kind of distracting to have only one track going crazy fast while the others are set to normal speed.
  • jaystonepkjaystonepk Opening Act
    I prefer the spotlight choice as is and I'll also get Them Bones separately. Agree with Mark that it's likely wiser from a sales perspective to sell Them Bones as the single for pass/export owners.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    edited October 10
    Jerry Cantrell’s vocal style right in the intro... more signature vocals from Cantrell
    ummm.... i'm pretty sure layne staley was still handling the lead vocal duties on these songs when they were recorded. unless you guys are just really jazzed about highlighting Cantrell's harmonies.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    I think folks are splitting hairs on popularity of Them Bones vs. Down in a Hole. And how they charted is very close. I hear both on SiriusXM Lithium with similar frequency.

If I had to pick, I very narrowly prefer Down in a Hole but so close, both 5 star songs.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    edited October 10
    That threw me off too, as it mentioned Cantrell's vocals in both. I read it to be the harmonies.

• LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    Yeah, Them Bones is an obvious buy, so Down in the Hole being in the pass means I'm buying Them Bones and completing the trifecta.
  • Hmm seems like a week for my back catalog. Nothing against AiC, but it's not exactly my cup of tea. I am very happy that it's a 3-pack, though, as it shows HMX can still pull those when they want to!
  • meck77meck77 Road Warrior
    FANTASTIC WEEK!!!!!!! Been eagerly waiting for Them Bones.
  • meck77meck77 Road Warrior
    edited October 10
    Tyrus1235 said:

Hmm seems like a week for my back catalog. Nothing against AiC, but it's not exactly my cup of tea. I am very happy that it's a 3-pack, though, as it shows HMX can still pull those when they want to!

Man in a box is the only back catalog song.
    EDIT: I gotcha your only getting MIAB because it is back catalog. I misunderstood
  • Really happy to have more AIC, and still plenty of good ones left for the future :)
  • Grabbing both nonrewinds!
  • randracrandrac Opening Act
    OMG! YES YES YES!!! I have been waiting years for this week!
  • I am pretty disappointed that "Them Bones" is not the spotlight song... I guess I will have to wait until I have a job to get that one

but this week is pretty good... Alice in Chains is the only one of the big 4 Grunge bands that I like