DLC Discussion Thread: Good Things Come In Threes

Comments

• I am pretty disappointed that "Them Bones" is not the spotlight song... I guess I will have to wait until I have a job to get that one

but this week is pretty good... Alice in Chains is the only one of the big 4 Grunge bands that I like

I assume you're leaving STP out of that group.. I've always looked at it as the Big 5..
    (Only 1 of which still has a living original lead singer, sadly).
  • I am pretty disappointed that "Them Bones" is not the spotlight song... I guess I will have to wait until I have a job to get that one

but this week is pretty good... Alice in Chains is the only one of the big 4 Grunge bands that I like

I assume you're leaving STP out of that group.. I've always looked at it as the Big 5..
    yeah I only heard people saying big 4 (Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains)

STP is pretty good too. I always forget they are considered Grunge, since I never heard that term until Rock Band, and the game calls them Alternative
  • MistressDeviantMistressDeviant Unsigned
    edited October 10
    I am so excited to see these songs and support "Down in a Hole" as the spotlight; but as a vocalist, I guess I have a bit of a bias. But to me, it makes sense, "Them Bones" is definitely the stronger guitar song, though it's short, while "Down in a Hole" seems to be a good balance in terms of band difficulty and length. I'm going to go ahead and guess the other 2 spotlights may be Soundgarden and Pearl Jam, or Nirvana is definitely a strong possibility, I don't remember them being in the spotlight yet. And as a child of the '80's/'90's, I never saw STP as a Grunge band. To me the big ones were always Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains; I think those are the ones at least, but I'd sure love to see STP in the challenge this week!
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    STP's Core album in particular is very grungy, Plush, Wicked Garden, Sex Type Thing.

If I had to rate those 5, Alice in Chains is first, Soundgarden is last. Really like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Stone Temple Pilots, probably in that order for 2-4, but virtually dead even.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    Grunge was so a big scene in the Pacific northwest. I think why Stone Temple Pilots is not thought of grunge as much is because they originated from San Diego, unlike the others.
  • The Seattle challenge back in March was mostly Grunge.
  • edited October 10
    - Pearl Jam had 2 songs used for Spotlight Songs in past Challenges (Even Flow was in the Hall of Fame Challenge, and Jeremy was in the 1990s Challenge)
    - Soundgarden had 2 songs used for Spotlight Songs in past Challenges (Superunknown was in the All Songs Challenge, and Jesus Christ Pose was in FreshPrinceofRB's Challenge)
    - This week will be Alice In Chains' first time for Spotlight Song usage.
    - As of yet, Nirvana is the only band of the Big 4 (Though, personally, I'm going on the Big 5 boat and say that I will always see Stone Temple Pilots as a Grunge band) that hasn't had a Spotlight Song used, as of yet.

For those who doesn't remember which of the important Grunge bands that has or has not been used for spotlight, I hope this helped. :)
  • BaronRobBaronRob Unsigned
    Stone Temple Pilots were always grunge. If no one had come up with the term, they probably would have been considered metal, along with Alice In Chains (who opened the thrash Big 4 tour) and probably Soundgarden, while the other two would have been alternative.

I always though Saigon Kick would have been considered grunge if they had come out a couple years later and/or their biggest hit had not been a sparkling clean ballad.
  • Is there a livestream today to preview the songs? Didn't see it mentioned in the announcement.
  • I'll buy the 2 that I don't have. Which brings up the point of putting a rewind in a pack is bad because then you miss the 50 cent discount. Unless it's like on Steam where it'll remove the price of stuff you already own, which I doubt because consoles.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior

I am pretty disappointed that "Them Bones" is not the spotlight song... I guess I will have to wait until I have a job to get that one

The Big Four of Grunge has been a pretty standard term in music magazines for decades and has always referred to Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden. Just like The Big Four of Metal is Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, and Megadeth.

A lot of people don't consider Stone Temple Pilots grunge, merely a band that ripped off the grunge sound. The first big distinction was they're from San Diego, as opposed to Seattle. Plus before they were signed to a record label, they were called Mighty Joe Young and played VERY different music. When Core came out, the general reception was they were trying to sound like Pearl Jam; which was kind of confirmed since Weiland didn't really sing like that on other albums afterward. A lot of critics even draw a straight line from STP to other post grunge bands like Creed, Bush, Puddle of Mudd, Collective Soul, Candlebox, etc and that whole generic radio rock sound (especially vocals) that dominated from the mid '90s to mid '00s.

TLDR, people don't consider STP grunge because they're from California, so everyone just assumes a label told them to play grunge.
  • I'll buy the 2 that I don't have. Which brings up the point of putting a rewind in a pack is bad because then you miss the 50 cent discount. Unless it's like on Steam where it'll remove the price of stuff you already own, which I doubt because consoles.

Assuming even distribution, Man in the Box cost you ALMOST 13 cents in 2010. Who really missed a song discount here?
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    in fairness to STP's sound changing (more alternative and less grunge after Core), Pearl Jam didn't sound very "grunge" after Vs. in my opinion. But they are from the pacific northwest, and that is the grunge movement so they will be forever labeled grunge even if it was just mostly 2 albums.

Maybe we wouldn't have got Them Bones and Down in a Hole if not for Man in the Box appearing as a rewind.
    djb5f1 said:

in fairness to STP's sound changing (more alternative and less grunge after Core), Pearl Jam didn't sound very "grunge" after Vs. in my opinion. But they are from the pacific northwest, and that is the grunge movement so they will be forever labeled grunge even if it was just mostly 2 albums.

Yeah, I've always thought it was weird having the stuff off Backspacer listed as Grunge. And the 2009 Alice in Chains songs in the library. Those should just be Rock, IMO. Same goes for any Foo Fighters post-2000. Their later stuff should all be Rock, not Alternative (I think "Something from Nothing" was even originally released as Rock in RB3).
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    grunge really began with Seattle bands like the Melvins and Mudhoney whose music was a lot sludgier and uncommercial than what eventually came to be known as grunge after Nirvana and Butch Vig put a nice sheen on it and sold a bazillion records. the "big 4" of grunge all grew out of that same Seattle music scene and most of them had played together in various incarnations of those and other previous bands, they knew each other, were friends, etc.

STP hopped on that bandwagon, they weren't a part of that original music scene, and that's why they don't get grouped in with the other 4.

• Also no stream again this week, they need more time to prep what they've been working on

*sing-songy voice* I smell an update.
  • No stream tonight but sounds like teasing a big update.

• Joke answer:
    DropMix-esque mode in RB4 now you HAVE to buy the set :p

Serious answer:
    Improvements to Online stuff, a Blitz-esque mode, more Boston bands
  • Silly predictions:
    - The entirety of U2's Songs of Experience which can't be deleted once the update has been applied
    - Every time you play Hysteria, your Rivals crew gets demoted
    - Expert vocals FC on all Justin Bieber and One Direction songs in challenge 1 automatically promotes your crew to Bloodstone
    - All menu music becomes Yes We Can, Dream Genie and Visions

Serious predictions:
    - More UI enhancements (e.g. filter for Rivals challenge songs, quicker way to apply filters, change vocals settings during songs without pausing)
    - A new mode that's not Blitz
    - Keep the Last Light On (Pile) and Sugary (Palehound) from Boston Sessions Vol. 1
    - Xbox One X enhancements
    - Character creator or online enhancements
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star

So does this mean that we're back to three songs a week?

Yes, it absolutely means that!

For this week...

No stream tonight but sounds like teasing a big update.

Harmonix's second collaboration with Disney: Jack Skellington confirmed for playable character!

With Marilyn Manson's cover of This Is Halloween as a Free Song to Rivals owners! :D

(Gleefully awaits for people to give LOLs to this post)
    Hard pass.
  • rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    Nice work HMX. I like Alice In Chains.
  • EmalytheEmalythe Rising Star
    edited October 10
    Am I the only one who hears this every time Man in a Box comes up?

https://youtu.be/ChD7_Ty86Hg?t=53s
  • Silly predictions:
    - The entirety of U2's Songs of Experience which can't be deleted once the update has been applied (This would be a cool thing, but seriously, I doubt U2 would allow it)
    - Every time you play Hysteria, your Rivals crew gets demoted (That's harsh... :p )
    - Expert vocals FC on all Justin Bieber and One Direction songs in challenge 1 automatically promotes your crew to Bloodstone (That's even harsher... (For most of the community who despises Bieber/OD (Though, thankfully, I'm on the neutral boat ;) )
    - All menu music becomes Yes We Can, Dream Genie and Visions (Please don't take away Light Up The Night from the Menu Music from me :p )

Serious predictions:
    - More UI enhancements (e.g. filter for Rivals challenge songs, quicker way to apply filters, change vocals settings during songs without pausing) (That would be cool :) )
    - A new mode that's not Blitz (We shall see (I rather have Blitz Mode for this Development Update, because I just loved playing Rock Band Blitz when I first got it)
    - Keep the Last Light On (Pile) and Sugary (Palehound) from Boston Sessions Vol. 1 (That would be cool, too :) )
    - Xbox One X enhancements
    - Character creator or online enhancements (Does that include Online Matchmaking?)

My thoughts on this post are in the bolded texts nearby.
  • Freakin' give us Blitz already!

Please!!

I really hope Blitz mode isn't what is being worked on.. I don't really like that game.. It would be fun to play as an app for iPad or my phone, but I hope HMX pours their time and resources into making the core RB4 experience better, however that may be..