freestyle solos

so I know some don't like them, but we use them a lot. does anyone know why they are omitting them on a few songs lately?

didn't see this asked anywhere, so here it is.

Comments

• Idk - they were in the recent Alice In Chains pack..

I’d imagine it has to do with stems.. Maybe they’re leaving them out of songs that don’t have full stems cuz they sound a bit wonky..
  • ekffazrekffazr Unsigned
    I'll buy that, sounds as good as anything else. thanks
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited October 25
    Do we really believe the stems for Avenged Sevenfold’s “God Damn”, from waaaay back in 2016, were unavailable? (Even noting that “The Stage”, from the same album, had freestyle solos).
  • It's nothing to do with stems because some songs with stems don't have freestyle solos and some songs without stems do have freestyle solos.
  • well maybe they’re just conceding now that stemless freestyle solos don’t sound good.. As for A7 - idk - maybe the data shows that nobody that plays their other songs in the library used freestyle, so they said why bother..

How did this topic not come up in the stream the other day???
    so what I gather here is they have not said, and it doesn't appear they are going to.
    seems odd they would take it out of some songs only
  • ekffazr said:

so what I gather here is they have not said, and it doesn't appear they are going to.
    seems odd they would take it out of some songs only

Yeah - pretty mad at myself for not asking that during the stream, where they started to reveal some things.. We rarely get solid answers about such topics here.
    I made a thread about it many weeks ago on reddit. No HMX entity replied. Which likely says more than a reply would have.

My suspicion is that the person/people who do freestyle authoring are no longer doing that (they've been put on more pressing tasks, other projects, or have left the company), and the few straggler charts that come through with freestyles authored I can only guess are songs that were authored months to years earlier but were held unreleased (say, a rights snag left them unable to release when originally intended) until more recently.
  • I had a thought it might be something that certain artists/labels aren't a fan of (I could see the argument that they wouldn't want their songs to be manipulated and altered in that way) so they allow them to opt out of that feature if it means getting the song in the game.

edited October 30

I had a thought it might be something that certain artists/labels aren't a fan of (I could see the argument that they wouldn't want their songs to be manipulated and altered in that way) so they allow them to opt out of that feature if it means getting the song in the game.

Again, I ask the jury to view exhibit A7X.

The same band. The same album. Two different songs. The earlier one got freestyle, the later did not. There is really no reason to believe the people in charge of a7x’s library were both for and against freestyle solos.
  • Well, it's kinda BS if you think about it.. What is RB4 without Freestyle options?
    Answer: RB2.
  • Do we really believe the stems for Avenged Sevenfold’s “God Damn”, from waaaay back in 2016, were unavailable? (Even noting that “The Stage”, from the same album, had freestyle solos).

Welcome Home by Coheed and Cambria had master recordings on the RB1 disc, and Ten Speed (of God's Blood and Burial) from the same album was a cover. Stuff happens.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP

Do we really believe the stems for Avenged Sevenfold’s “God Damn”, from waaaay back in 2016, were unavailable? (Even noting that “The Stage”, from the same album, had freestyle solos).

Welcome Home by Coheed and Cambria had master recordings on the RB1 disc, and Ten Speed (of God's Blood and Burial) from the same album was a cover. Stuff happens.
    Ten Speed had an issue where the guitar and bass stems were on the same stem rather than the seperated ones. Had it been released today it probably would gone through, just like a few of the recent songs.
  • Witticus said:

Ten Speed had an issue where the guitar and bass stems were on the same stem rather than the seperated ones. Had it been released today it probably would gone through, just like a few of the recent songs.
    His point was moreso that being from the same album doesn't mean that all things are equal, and he is very much right about that.

Sometimes songs on an album could have been recorded months or even years apart, at different studios, with different producers, etc.

That said I don't think the A7X situation is where the second release didn't have fully separated masters. And from what I can tell there is no pattern to what does or doesn't get freestyle, except that they could be being released in a different order in which they were worked on, or maybe there were periods in which the freestyle authors were too busy on other projects and then got time again to do some more.
  • AbaddonAbaddon Road Warrior

The same band. The same album. Two different songs. The earlier one got freestyle, the later did not. There is really no reason to believe the people in charge of a7x’s library were both for and against freestyle solos.

Maybe they heard what it sounded like and decided they didn't like it.

When reading tea leaves, often you just find soggy leaves.

edited November 2
    We used to get near 100% of new songs that had guitar solos, with freestyles enabled. Including the entire back catalogue.

Now, we've gotten 2 or 3 enabled out of the last ~10 new DLC that had guitar solos. (Can anyone confirm whether Rebel Heart and Postpone actually had freestyles? Don't trust RBDB, as it's been wrong on freestyles a lot recently - people who actually own the tracks plz check?)

It's not exactly reading tea leaves here. It's pretty clearly a policy change.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited November 2
    Here's a list of new non-RBVR songs with that have freestyle released this year (all RBVR songs have freestyle):
    The Stage
    Trust
    Dead Memories
    Some Nights
    Cheerleader
    Hold the Line
    Applause
    S.O.M.P.
    The Edge of Glory
    A-YO
    I Wanna Rock
    I Will Survive
    Want to Want Me
    Don't You (Forget About Me)
    Black Betty
    Outside
    Can't Hold Us
    Danger Zone
    The 11 free Rivals songs in the March update
    Shape of You
    You Make My Dreams
    Bizarre Love Triangle
    This is How We Do It
    Kids
    Shout
    Killing is Just a Means
    Wrecking Machine
    She
    Hold On
    Ice Ice Baby
    Them Bones
    Down in a Hole

These don't:
    Girls Just Want to Have Fun
    In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida
    Stupid Girl
    Every Morning
    Stranglehold
    I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me)
    God Damn
    Super Freak
    Burnin' For You
    There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back
    Heat of the Moment
    Johnny B. Goode
    Slow Ride
    Play That Funky Music

June seems to be the turning point.
    edited November 2
    Ice Icy Baby being on people's freestyle-enabled list makes me laugh (not the first case, people keep referencing it). It has no guitar solo, and the vocals are all talkie (so there's not one instance in the song where you can play a freestyle guitar-solo note or get a freestyle vocal piefill).
  • So it seems whatever we get with freestyle is just being released in a different order from which it was worked on.

They probably won't say it but I'm guessing freestyle is dead. We'll likely see a few more trickles but it does seem to be drying up.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited November 2
    @thatmarkguy Well you can still play it in endless solo mode, it makes about as much sense as Stressed Out being RBVR DLC.

@bonethug0108 Yeah, judging from what we know so far the remaining RBVR songs will have freestyle and possibly any new songs obtained from artist packs that include a RBVR song.

So it seems whatever we get with freestyle is just being released in a different order from which it was worked on.

They probably won't say it but I'm guessing freestyle is dead. We'll likely see a few more trickles but it does seem to be drying up.

I personally hope your wrong, but your probably right. of course we will never get confirmation
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    *you’re
  • ekffazr said:

So it seems whatever we get with freestyle is just being released in a different order from which it was worked on.

I personally hope your wrong, but your probably right. of course we will never get confirmation
    Me too, but we did at least get a TON of awesome songs with it, including the majority of the back catalog.

So while new songs may not have it it isn't dead because we have (potentially depending on how much dlc you have) over a thousand songs we can play with freestyle.