October 24th Roadmap

Comments

• Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    The songs mentioned are certainly "10th Anniversary" quality.
    "But wait, there's more"? Cool!
  • @kal_el_0724 Thanks for the summary! :) Forgot about the stream until it was too late.
  • The stream hasn't been delisted so those who missed it can actually watch the stream even now if they want.
  • kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act

The stream hasn't been delisted so those who missed it can actually watch the stream even now if they want.

Actually I'm going to go ahead and include that in the OP. :)
  • jaystonepkjaystonepk Opening Act

The stream hasn't been delisted so those who missed it can actually watch the stream even now if they want.

Thank you! I was just going to ask if this was still able to be watched.
  • moviemaniac14moviemaniac14 Unsigned
    edited October 25
    So basically NOTHING has changed. Great job, Harmonix! Keep it up!
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act
    edited October 25
    I've been asking for that harmonies change since RB3, glad y'all were actually listening to those surveys!

Really cool slate of stuff coming up
  • bonethug0108bonethug0108 Headliner
    edited October 25
    The biggest song the harmonies change will affect I have to think is No Sleep 'til Brooklyn. So hard to tell who is supposed to rap what when and that is throughout the whole song.

But it is a very welcome/needed change for all harmony songs.

They didn't happen to say what the specific changes are, did they?
  • Arrows are shaped/colored differently and there's a more clear trim of whatever color tube you're going through (plus, when they're all doing the same line, they slot together into a cool feathered arrow-looking thing). Not sure if there's any changes to overlapping chart colors.

The biggest song the harmonies change will affect I have to think is No Sleep 'til Brooklyn. So hard to tell who is supposed to rap what when and that is throughout the whole song.

But it is a very welcome/needed change for all harmony songs.

They didn't happen to say what the specific changes are, did they?

Just better visual cues to help decipher separate and unison parts.
  • braves22braves22 Opening Act
    I guess I am just a bit disappointed with the character creator answers as it was glossed as though many didn't care when MOST of the games out there in which you don't already play a set part have substantial character creator modes (think sports and WWE games) that are so far ahead of the RB creator curve, its not even funny...

As others have said, Rivals also needs a ton of changes from the way its presented to the way you can add crew members, to stats involved during each week.

At least the DLC looks like its going to be good and the game is not ending soon, so thats a significant plus...

I just don't think its too much to ask for that when I am playing at a party with a group of friends, the characters we have created (which every single person at my parties wants to do so --- sorry Grandpa Sussman) should at least have different body types, traits, etc.
    edited October 25
    braves22 said:

traits

Like whether they're artistic or good at basketball?

The only thing character creation wise that I think is doable at this point is custom art. Then Harmonix doesn't have to worry about several different body types/shapes.

I want custom art back badly so that I can show off my rad creations when online. And it needs to apply to regular t-shirts, body tattoos, and guitars much less band logos.

braves22 said:

traits

Like whether they're artistic or good at basketball?

The only thing character creation wise that I think is doable at this point is custom art. Then Harmonix doesn't have to worry about several different body types/shapes.

I want custom art back badly so that I can show off my rad creations when online. And it needs to apply to regular t-shirts, body tattoos, and guitars much less band logos.

Remember the different mannerisms they had in a previous game based on whether you were rock or metal or pop etc? Something like that to differentiate the characters...

But you're right, they kind of explained it because of animations, art molding, etc as to why it would be difficult now...

The way I look at it was that it was short sighted to box yourself in somewhere that you pretty much have to do complete re-designs to implement certain things...

Some designers try to use complete forward thinking to leave less work on patches and re-designs because of issues like this.

I do agree on custom art, but it was pretty much a consensus last week at my RB party that all characters are just simple variations (shading, hair, clothing) of the same base model...and thats pretty weak for the current gen consoles and the ability of what they could do...It was pretty obvious with the answer that one of the higher ups thought nothing involved with character creator mattered in the least.

Which is interesting to me because going all the way back between RB1 & RB2, some of the greatest positive responses I remember being that people were psyched about tailoring a character instead of having to play with Moosejaw Boudreau
  • Slow Ride better be the whole 8 minute version...
  • itzJVitzJV Road Warrior
    If they can't deliver a revamped character creator with sliders and stuff, I would still be happy if they at least consider bringing different face types as well as more body types than just the two we have, "Masculine" and "Feminine". I want a big muscular "Metalhead" body type, or a chubby body type, and so forth.
  • @iammaxhailme It's the 4 minute version.
  • Skynyrd45Skynyrd45 Opening Act

@iammaxhailme It's the 4 minute version.

Well that's disappointing. :(
  • iammaxhailmeiammaxhailme Unsigned
    edited October 26
    @grumblevolcano

aaaaaaaaah crap.
  • II_IronII_Iron Opening Act
    Still nothing for multiple local players mixed with online multiplayer....
  • Really, the biggest reveal has got to be Slow Ride, people.

After all, it's the hardest song in rhythm game history! You can't FC it on easy in Guitar Hero III without cheats! With Rock Band's tighter timing window, you better be prepared to fail before the first note even arrives!

You should be glad it's only the four minute version so you don't have to suffer for eight minutes straight!
  • bonethug0108bonethug0108 Headliner
    edited October 26
    HMXOwl said:

Arrows are shaped/colored differently and there's a more clear trim of whatever color tube you're going through (plus, when they're all doing the same line, they slot together into a cool feathered arrow-looking thing). Not sure if there's any changes to overlapping chart colors.

Disappointing if no overlapping colors changed, but still better than nothing. Arrows were an issue also, and it's great the tubes will be more defined. So still great to hear.

I'll just resign myself to No Sleep still being a mess on harmonies.
    tdc002 said:

Sussman seemed to get really annoyed discussing legacy entitlements. He said something along the lines of "We should've just been able to flip a switch and have it work on Day 1, but it didn't!" It seems like Harmonix is finally ready to publicly point the blame at Microsoft and Sony on this now that it's been two whole years (and they should). It seems like a lot of the situation is just out of Harmonix's hands.

Sussman seemed to be annoyed by quite a few things, which is why people started calling him "Grandpa" which furthered the disdain (i think)

FWIW, anyone that didn't watch the stream, he basically outed himself as the main individual behind why character creator wasn't given more latitude in the first place....thought it wasn't that big of a deal to the product and because he didn't care about it, assumed not many others did either....

I guess he's never heard of Road to the Show or MyCareer modes in the MLB and NBA franchises that have been a complete homerun or slam dunk if you will.

That kind of customization makes the literal rock band in Rock Band feel more personal. I totally get it not receiving top priority now but it plays such a big role in immersing yourself in the game which was kind of a big selling point of the original RB.

Completely and wholeheartedly agree...

Just like with any other game that you can create players and customize them, it gives you a sense of individualism and also helps get people more invested in their character.

As I said to anyone that would listen during the livestream (Sussman included), every single time I have a Rock Band party, newbies want to create a customized character and returning friends always want to play with the person they took time to create....it IS a thing and certainly one that my friends have commented on as to why on a newer gen console, there are less options than "remember when we played this game back in 2010 and you could do this and that"....I get these responses ALL THE TIME.
  • edited October 26
    But when you are playing it's true that you are looking at the note charts so much more than the characters, so imagine if those were broken because they spent all their resources on an elaborate character creator... then Rock Band 4 couldn't really be considered the minimum viable product they were trying to start out with.

Daniel Sussman seemed to make it clear that based on the surveys he had underestimated the importance of character creation, and acknowledged it was something that had to be put in because it was so important to selling the fantasy, but that sacrifices based on cost/benefit analysis had to be made. More body sizes means more motion capture and models and tweaking to avoid collisions, etc.

It's important they are constantly aware of these insights, so that Rock Band can be sustainable in the long run. They just don't have the resources as an independent company to flesh this out like other games do, or like they have in the past. But they are aware that it's not robust, fairly critical of it, and acknowledge it could be improved. If we just keep supporting them and asking for it then maybe eventually those improvements can be made. But it's also one of those features that some people use all the time and others just set and forget about, so it's also a matter of properly deciding on its priority.
  • My RB3 character looks pretty darn similar to me.. My RB4 character - not so much.. But it’s not something I or anyone else I play with care about too much.. Id rather resources go elsewhere - like more DLC :)
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited October 26
    tdc002 said:

Sussman seemed to get really annoyed discussing legacy entitlements. He said something along the lines of "We should've just been able to flip a switch and have it work on Day 1, but it didn't!" It seems like Harmonix is finally ready to publicly point the blame at Microsoft and Sony on this now that it's been two whole years (and they should). It seems like a lot of the situation is just out of Harmonix's hands..

I really don't blame him, legacy entitlement issues have really tore the community apart over these 2 years.