DLC Discussion Thread: Solid '70s Pack 02

edited November 7 in Rock Band
HMXOwl said:

DLC Week of 11/02: Solid '70s Pack 02!

There’s more to the ‘70s than just disco music. We’re bringing revolutionary songs this week that are hard rock, punk, and funk!

Named the 45th Best Hard Rock Song of All Time by VH1, “Slow Ride” is a single by British rock band Foghat. Drums open the song with pulsing hits on the offbeat, then the guitar kicks in with a distorted blues riff. The electric slide technique coupled with the tone of the lead vocals gives this song true grit. This song isn’t a slow ride by any means, it alternates between verses, chorus and powerful instrumental breaks with a ton of action in-between. The guitar and bass fly through the song with fills and accents when they can, with an eventual duet and the drums switch between several patterns from a rock beat to a back beat pattern and more.

Another style of rock music that exploded in the 1970s was punk rock and Joey, Johnny, Dee Dee, and Marky Ramone were at the epicenter. “I Wanna Be Sedated” is a single from Ramones’ fourth studio album Road to Ruin, one of their best known songs and a Rock Band favorite. Rolling Stone named it one of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time and NPR included it in the "NPR 100”, a list to determine the 100 most important American musical works of the 20th century. The song has been used in countless films and television shows, and has been covered by dozens of established artists as well as the countless up-and-coming garage rockers. The fast rhythm changes create the bop feeling to the song that’s so much fun to play.

Shifting to an incredible song from Wild Cherry, “Play That Funky Music” was released in 1976 where it immediately went to #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 and Hot Soul Singles chart as well as topping the charts globally. Its popularity is no surprise, being a textbook funk and party song - as soon as the main guitar riff drops, you know you get pumped. This song will prove just as much fun to play as it is to dance to. Between the syncopated guitar parts and main riff, the rhythm section stays locked in a tight groove while the vocal part does its thing over the verse. Everyone can jump in on vocals and belt out the chorus.

Solid ‘70s Pack 02 will be available for $5.49. Songs can be purchased individually for $1.99 each. The Rock Band Rivals Season 3 Spotlight Pass can be purchased for $13.49.

• Foghat - "Slow Ride"
  • Ramones - "I Wanna Be Sedated"
  • Wild Cherry - "Play That Funky Music" (Part of the Rock Band Rivals Season 3 Spotlight Pass)

* Please note that this week’s DLC tracks will be available for purchase on Thursday, November 2nd.

Comments

• Yay 2 songs!!!
  • WoodenGloryWoodenGlory Unsigned
    edited October 31
    Well hey, Funky Music is free for me with the pass AND Slow Ride is gonna be fun.

Everybody wins!

...except maybe guitarists, that funk strumming on Funky Music; like Celebration's older cousin :p
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    Definitely getting Slow Ride as that is want I wanted most. Unsure about Spotlight pass, will depend on seeing what else is in it.
  • A great week!
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    3 good songs, 2 of which i'll buy and 1 of which i already have.

but man, these song announcement descriptions are getting painful to read. what exactly is the difference between a "rock beat" and a "back beat pattern" anyway?
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    Getting the non-rewinds!
  • 3pic81ueUnicorn3pic81ueUnicorn Not Active Enough
    I like Play That Funky Music more than Slow Ride, so I'm glad it's in the Spotlight Pass. With Blister in the Sun almost guaranteed to be the spotlight song next week, the pass is off to a great start. Hopefully the rest of the songs are just as good, so I have an excuse to spend money.
  • jaystonepkjaystonepk Opening Act
    Already have access to PTFM but also in for da Slow Ride.
  • kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act
    edited October 31
    So excited to play Starting Out Small this week. :)

It's been 10 years in the making, and it's going to sound so much better!
  • edited October 31
    In for the pack. Another great week. Keep 'em coming HMX! :)

Edit: I'm dumb, as I already have I Wanna Be Sedated :p But the overall point still stands, great week!
  • I figured it be the Solid 70s 02 pack, because I've predicted it in the prediction thread. :)

But I already have I Wanna Be Sedated, because I already did the Rock Band 3 Export, so it looks like I'll be cherry picking from this pack.

Challenge theme: That '70s Challenge (Play songs from the 1970s)
    =Spotlight Songs=
    - All Right Now (Free)
    - A Passage to Bangkok (Rush)
    - Play That Funky Music (Wild Cherry)

I'm looking forward to 80s next week. :)
  • Very good week, nice to finally have Slow Ride in RB after all these years of wanting it as a result of GH3. My spotlight predictions are:
    Foghat - "Slow Ride"
    Wild Cherry - "Play That Funky Music"
    Aerosmith - "Toys in the Attic"
  • ekffazrekffazr Unsigned
    all in, thank you
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    tnevaker said:

what exactly is the difference between a "rock beat" and a "back beat pattern" anyway?

The word is on the street that the fire in your heart is in the rock beat instead.
  • Lord_MhoramLord_Mhoram Road Warrior
    Getting both the new tracks. My RB4 mic died this weekend, I'll have to get a new mic so I can sing!
  • These are the kind of tracks that keeps me interested in playing.

MOAR DLC/WEEK
  • What a great pack! I seen some tricky bass notes in SR and PTFM. I hope I can figure them out because I love those songs. Two thumbs up Harmonix!
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    Sadly, I don’t like Slow Ride or Play That Funky Music, and I already have and love I Wanna Be Sedated, so this week is a pass for me. Good for fans though!
  • Nice and thanks @Harmonix :)

...sure seems like some GH tracks are showing up in RB? *or is that just me wishing?*
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    I might grab Play that Funky Music. I remember having fun playing it in Guitar Hero 5 (man, that game had an awful setlist). Maybe Slow Ride. I'm not crazy about that song, but we so rarely get '70s stuff these days. Then again, it's pretty easy to rarely get something when we're only getting 1-2 new songs a week.

Nice and thanks @Harmonix :)

...sure seems like some GH tracks are showing up in RB? *or is that just me wishing?*

Probably just coincidence. Guitar Hero had a big library of songs (not quite as big as Rock Band, but still big). Plus GH3's Slow Ride was a cover.
  • GraffinGraffin Rising Star
    This week isn't for me either. I'm not a fan of Slow Ride or Play That Funky Music.

I guess it's great for those who love the golden oldies, but personally i'd prefer some modern hits and recent/current chart songs to play along to.

Or, how about songs that were used in the Guardians of the Galaxy films... there were some catchy classic tunes (especially the song the used for the main menu in the Telltale game... I think it's Electric Light Orchestra's "Livin' Thing").

Hoping for something different next week, and crossing my fingers it's not some hardcore metal where you have to scream or make pig snorting sounds to sing it. I love all genres ranging from Country music to Punk Rock. As long as Harmonix provides variety and songs from each of the decades, i'll be happy with that. :smile:
  • Graffin said:

This week isn't for me either. I'm not a fan of Slow Ride or Play That Funky Music.

I guess it's great for those who love the golden oldies, but personally i'd prefer some modern hits and recent/current chart songs to play along to.

Or, how about songs that were used in the Guardians of the Galaxy films... there were some catchy classic tunes (especially the song the used for the main menu in the Telltale game... I think it's Electric Light Orchestra's "Livin' Thing").

Hoping for something different next week, and crossing my fingers it's not some hardcore metal where you have to scream or make pig snorting sounds to sing it. I love all genres ranging from Country music to Punk Rock. As long as Harmonix provides variety and songs from each of the decades, i'll be happy with that. :smile:

Next Week is Blister In The Sun and Bad Reputation (Rewind), in case you missed the Roadmap announcement last week. ;)
  • GLaDOSGLaDOS Opening Act
    Not a huge fan of Foghat but I'm heavily nostalgic for "Slow Ride" since it was the first song I played in the plastic instrument genre, definitely picking it up, and Wild Cherry too just because I love that song.
    Great week, and yay more 3 packs! Hope to see more, what if we're getting more than we think next week too? I'd love some more New Wave in the 80s week if manageable.
    edited November 1

Graffin said:

Next Week is Blister In The Sun and Bad Reputation (Rewind), in case you missed the Roadmap announcement last week. ;)
    Yay for Violent Femmes. I wish they gave us "Add It Up" as well, but it would probably be a tad censored. :(

I think the only other classic songs that were stuck in my head would be "Ship Of Fools" by World Party and "The Beauty Of Gray" by Live (I don't think it was a huge hit or single, but a damn catchy tune which i'd love to sing and bash out on the drums). And, here's hoping some day I get "American Jesus" by Bad Religion (anything from BR would be appreciated)... or some Garth Brooks for something totally different (i've never seen any of his songs in a musical game).

I really wish we had the RBN back. My fave song at the moment is actually a cover of Taylor Swift's "Look What You Made Me Do" by Alex Goot (check it out on YouTube, along with his cover of Linkin Park's "Numb"). So much great music out there which i'd love to have in Rock Band!
    Okay, I own the Spotlight Season Pass, but isn't Play That Funky Music meant to show up as FREE for me?

(PS4, in Australia)