DLC Discussion Thread: Whatever Happened To Keytars?

edited November 14 in Rock Band
HMXOwl said:

DLC Week of 11/09: Joan Jett and Violent Femmes!

Embrace everything '80s this week with two great rock songs from Joan Jett and Violent Femmes!

Joan Jett released "Bad Reputation" as the opening track on her self-titled 1980 studio album. In the song, Jett reacts to her tough personal experience with the music industry at the time, which is further narrated in the music video. "Bad Reputation" has become one of Jett’s best-known songs and has been featured in groundbreaking scenes from television shows and films. The power and confidence in this song has allowed many to connect and identify with Jett and her D.I.Y. spirit. Just like in Rock Band 2, drums will be the toughest, as they they switch up beats throughout the song while keeping the tempo fast and peppy. The guitar and bass will also need to keep up the speed with the fast chord and rhythm changes but they do get some breaks between Jett's vocal part, which also proves to be a challenge between the eighth note phrasing and key change.

Switching gears we turn to a band that defies genres - Violent Femmes, who released their single “Blister In The Sun” on their self-titled debut album in 1983. The album received substantial airplay on college and early alternative radio and eventually went platinum. “Blister In The Sun” opens with the famous bass riff that is also the main vocal and guitar melody of the song; accompanied by snare hits that probably everyone claps together with right on cue. The song structure alternates between verse and chorus with an instrumental break, where each part gets their mini solo, right before the last chorus and outro. Although it may sound like a breezy folk song, the driving main riff during the verses will keep your hands moving and the guitar and bass parts during the choruses are constantly moving as well.

Songs can be purchased individually for $1.99 each. The Rock Band Rivals Season 3 Spotlight Pass can be purchased for $13.49.

• Joan Jett - "Bad Reputation" (Rewind)
  • Violent Femmes - "Blister In The Sun" (Part of the Rock Band Rivals Season 3 Spotlight Pass)

* Please note that this week’s DLC tracks will be available for purchase on Thursday, November 9th.

Comments

• Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    Watch that mouth Loopy or you'll get a bad reputation!
    Buying nothing because I already own the Rewind and I get the other one included as part of my Spotlight Pass. Score.
  • Hilarious thread title is hilarious :p

But yay saving some money with free songs (bought the pass a few weeks ago)!
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    Blister in the Sun has been one of my DLC dreams for years now. So glad it's arrived, and part of the Spotlight Pass! I'm glad those without exports can get Bad Reputation now too, one of my faves from RB2.
  • JayRenaissanceJayRenaissance Road Warrior
    Can't say I'm a fan of Blister in the Sun. Nothing new this week.
  • A fitting week for me, because my Birthday is coming up this Saturday, and I was born in the 1980s (1985 to be exact). :)

I'll be picking up both songs eventually (Blister In The Sun, because it's the Spotlight for this Week (I bought the Spotlight Pass a few days ago, but since I'm on PS4, I have to get the song from the store), and Bad Reputation, because I didn't do the Rock Band 2 Export).

Weekly Challenge Theme: Back to the 80's (Play songs from 1980s, again)
    =Spotlight Songs=
    - Blister In The Sun (Violent Femmes)
    - Living On A Prayer (Bon Jovi)
    - Your Love (The Outfield (Repeat))

Hear's hoping that the songs for 1990s Week will be good ones. :)
  • tnevaker said:

trolling the keys players, shame on you HMX.

in for Blister.

I was gonna say, the bait is strong this week XD
  • edited November 7
    Especially when neither of the songs have keys in them.

At least the challenge songs will be synth-rich.
  • Blister is a fun song - glad to have it :)
  • I had an "oh that song" moment when I looked up "Blister In The Sun"

Glad I will be getting it in the spotlight pass
  • Love the title, not the biggest fan of the songs. I was spoiled by 3 songs last week, I was kinda hoping for "Home Sweet Home" by Motley Crue, "These Dreams" or more Bangles as the 3rd. And when I saw the title, "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of These") comes to mind. Well, can't satisfy all the people all the time, at least I have a motherlode of my favorite '80's stuff already! And I do appreciate a slight respite from getting my voice's butt kicked in the '70's. Can't wait for '90's week!
  • Lord_MhoramLord_Mhoram Road Warrior
    have the Jett. Getting the Femmes. If we get Kiss Off and I Hear the Rain, all my favorites will be in the game.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    Awesome to see the Violent Femmes return! Small victories.
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    The Joan Jett song is good but I already have it of course

But the Violent Femmes is one of my favorite picks all year, instant purchase
  • BaronRobBaronRob Unsigned

Love the title, not the biggest fan of the songs. I was spoiled by 3 songs last week, I was kinda hoping for "Home Sweet Home" by Motley Crue, "These Dreams" or more Bangles as the 3rd. And when I saw the title, "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of These") comes to mind. Well, can't satisfy all the people all the time, at least I have a motherlode of my favorite '80's stuff already! And I do appreciate a slight respite from getting my voice's butt kicked in the '70's. Can't wait for '90's week!

So much do we need Home Sweet Home, although we needed it even more in RB3 when there was this mysterious fifth instrument. Also many other Motley songs.

And I'll second the Bangles. A big enough pack to get to Be With You at the end.
  • Don't forget about Mugatu creating the piano key neck-tie in the 80s.
  • BaronRob said:

Love the title, not the biggest fan of the songs. I was spoiled by 3 songs last week, I was kinda hoping for "Home Sweet Home" by Motley Crue, "These Dreams" or more Bangles as the 3rd. And when I saw the title, "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of These") comes to mind. Well, can't satisfy all the people all the time, at least I have a motherlode of my favorite '80's stuff already! And I do appreciate a slight respite from getting my voice's butt kicked in the '70's. Can't wait for '90's week!

So much do we need Home Sweet Home, although we needed it even more in RB3 when there was this mysterious fifth instrument. Also many other Motley songs.

And I'll second the Bangles. A big enough pack to get to Be With You at the end.
    LOVE Be With You. In a Different Light, too, but that's a bigger stretch than Be With You (though the latter was a single). If we ever get a Bangles pack, I'd love to see In Your Room and I'll Set You Free in the mix (again, stretching, considering they had much bigger hits), but the pinnacle for me would be Hazy Shade of Winter.
  • Eh. Not a huge Blister in The Sun fan but i am grabbing it since it's free with my spotlight pack.
    Wish we could have got a Jett pack instead to be honest.
  • GraffinGraffin Rising Star
    Emalythe said:

have the Jett. Getting the Femmes. If we get Kiss Off and I Hear the Rain, all my favorites will be in the game.

+ Gone Daddy Gone and Add It Up.
    Though, Add It Up might be censored a tad (not that I mind... can always sing the missing words).
  • EmalytheEmalythe Rising Star
    Graffin said:

Emalythe said:

Though, Add It Up might be censored a tad (not that I mind... can always sing the missing words).
    If it were added, I'm sure it would be the radio edit - which is like watching Scarface on network TV.
  • The correct title was "I killed the president of Paraguay with a fork, how've you been?"

Nice to finally have the right Violent Femmes song after getting that other one.
  • LeCH24LeCH24 Opening Act
    My right arm already hurts looking at that drum chart.
  • Lord_MhoramLord_Mhoram Road Warrior
    Emalythe said:

I would welcome those as well. :)
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    Emalythe said:

Graffin said:

Emalythe said:

If it were added, I'm sure it would be the radio edit - which is like watching Scarface on network TV.
    They only say the F word twice. That's really the only part of the song that would be edited out. There's more heavily censored songs in the library already.
  • I just realised that it's been exactly a year since the last 80's themed DLC and Challenge. I remember that because it was the same week as the *shudders* Election.
  • I just realised that it's been exactly a year since the last 80's themed DLC and Challenge. I remember that because it was the same week as the *shudders* Election.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE, TRANQUIL.

YOU HAVE UNLEASHED THE DREADED GATES THAT ALLOW THE FLAME WAR TO SPEW FORTH. GET TO YOUR OFFLINE LI-I MEAN SHELTERS.

Jokes aside, neat week. I like the Violent Femmes song, so I'll definitely be getting it. And Bad Reputation is also a very good song in my book (I'm at 999 songs on my iTunes account currently, and good old Bad Rep happened to be the 999th.)
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior

I just realised that it's been exactly a year since the last 80's themed DLC and Challenge. I remember that because it was the same week as the *shudders* Election.

A case could be made that the week of "I Wanna Rock" and "Round and Round" was 80s themed DLC. Those songs are totally 80s.