Worth an Xbox One just for Rock Band 4?

Over the past year I have gotten back into Rock Band after a few years of idleness. I had gotten an electric drum set and have been casually learning to play using Rock Band as kind of a supplement to it.

Even though I have a PS4, I've been playing Rock Band 3 on Xbox360 since that is where all my songs are (Rock Band 1, 2, 3, AC/DC, Green Day, Lego, Blitz, as well as a lot of DLC). With the Xbox One X out, I am thinking of trying to get a deal on an older model so I can get Rock Band 4.

My question is if the price of the Xbox One and Rock Band 4 (plus Rock Band 3 export and the adapter needed to use my drums) would be worth upgrading from Rock Band 3. I currently only play single player pro drums in quick play (and practice mode when struggling with a song) and don't see that changing any time soon.

I know I would get the new songs and access to newer DLC, but are there any improvements in pro drums or practice mode? Is the overall interface better/quicker than Rock Band 3?

On the flip side, are there any downgrades compared to Rock Band 3 that might annoy me considering the way I am using it?

Thank you for any input you can give

Comments

• It's worth it
    Bot even something to think twice about

Your old dlc * new one will more than justify it

• I bought an Xbox one over a year ago strictly for RB4 and haven't regretted it for a second.. I had a ton of DLC and all those discs just like you.. I'm not much of a drummer, so I can't speak to that, but the DLC has been pretty solid, and the game is good.. I say buy a used original Xbox one and get after it.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited November 9
    Pro drums
    - Make sure you pick static fills in the drum options to get the proper charts.
    - Variable breakneck speed exists so if you find the RB3 breakneck speed too fast but the normal speed too slow you can have a middle ground (there's also speeds above RB3's breakneck speed).
    - If you're a lefty pro drummer, there's a significant issue that hasn't been fixed.
    - No drum freestyle mode.

Practice mode
    - You have to go into a separate mode rather than it being selectable in quickplay.

Interface, overall experience and legacy entitlements
    - If you care about stats, there's no longer section percentages at the stats screen when you finish a song normally.
    - Setlists are much better than RB3.
    - The overall interface is better and quicker than RB3 outside of the practice mode point mentioned above.
    - Some of the songs you own in RB3 you won't be able to download yet because all entitlements haven't been fixed yet. It is an ongoing process and HMX isn't giving up, though Rock Band Network songs are seeming to be a no at this point due to licensing issues.
    - If you owned a European copy of Rock Band 1, the 9 European bonus songs won't transfer to RB4 due to licensing complications though you can buy 6 of them in the store.

Hope this helps.
  • Go for it. You can find brand new XB1s for relatively cheap now, especially since XB1X is now out.
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    If you’re certain that it’ll just be a Rock Band machine (and maybe a 4K BD player), then go for a One S. They’re super cheap (and may get cheaper the further we are into the holiday season), and I don’t think RB4 will get much into the 4K/HDR bells and whistles anytime soon.
  • braves22braves22 Opening Act
    I bought my XBO specifically for RB, my instruments, and my library to carry over...

My YES answer is an emphatic YES, but I may not be the right person to ask as I have over 1k songs, 5 guitars, an ION kit with a Roc n Soc throne, 4 mics with a boom mic stand, a stage kit, and way too much invested in the franchise to let it die after RB3.
  • Walmart and Target will have Xbox One S's for $189 on Black Friday this year.
  • JStryker47JStryker47 Opening Act
    I got my Xbox One for Sunset Overdrive, before I even heard RB4 was being made.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    The only reason I finally bought an XBoxOne after owning an original XBox and an XBox360 was for Rock Band 4 when it came it out.

I don't regret it.
  • Thanks for all the replies. It's a shame to hear about practice mode. I like the option to jump right into it if I am struggling with a song. It's not a deal breaker though. If I get one it'll most likely be from the black friday deals, so guess I have a few weeks to make up my mind.
  • edited November 10
    I would go for it. I had very littler interests in Rock Band 4 when it was first announced. And this was after playing all the Rock Band titles on Xbox 360 since RB1 came out. But I too recently Started getting back into it, and got a MadCatz band in a box bundle on Amazon for $169.00. I don't regret it at all.

I was bummed out when I read that the window to export RB1 and RB2 songs was closed and there where no exceptions for it, but I didn't realize that if you already exported those tracks to Rock Band 3, then they become apart of the Rock Band 3 export. So when I installed my game Wednesday, I had over 190 songs to install.

Right now, my only concern is, supplies for the instruments seems to be amazon only. I can not find any local or online retailers who are carrying the instruments, so I am hoping support for the game is not slowing down.
  • braves22braves22 Opening Act

Right now, my only concern is, supplies for the instruments seems to be amazon only. I can not find any local or online retailers who are carrying the instruments, so I am hoping support for the game is not slowing down.

You can still order instruments directly from PDP if I recall correctly...

Also, if you have local gaming shops, those are always great places to look because a lot of ppl threw out pristine (or close to) instruments because they thought the music genre had dried up...

I got 3 ridiculously good instruments from that method, and all I needed was the legacy adapter to use them...

eBay can also be a good friend...just like with anything else, make sure to buy from reputable sources.
  • I bought my xbox one originally for RB4. Knowing how many of us did this Microsoft should have gave HMX some money for that. They could have made some bank.
  • While there were games that I wanted that were known to be coming to XB1 (e.g. Master Chief Collection, Halo 5, the 2 Tomb Raider games, Ori and the Blind Forest), RB4 was the deciding factor to get one. It's been worth it for sure and I'm glad with the games I bought there ended up generally being the concept of "If this is broke, it will be fixed eventually even if it takes years" logic.
  • David2380David2380 Road Warrior
    I'm thinking about this as well...I go way back. Should I consider the instruments as well? My drums still work fine and have pads and cymbals , but the set is very old. I have an old guitar hero guitar and two RB 3 guitars, one which works okay and one which drops notes...
  • aimsmallmismallaimsmallmismall Unsigned
    edited November 11

I bought my xbox one originally for RB4. Knowing how many of us did this Microsoft should have gave HMX some money for that. They could have made some bank.

Same here - and since then I bought a TON of digital games (great games are constantly on sale - I have a huge collection of full AAA games that cost $5 or less, some of which are 360 games, which is a great feature).
    Microsoft has made a boatload off of me, simply because HMX made RB4..

That's probably what it is for most people - they need a killer app to buy a new system, whether it's Halo, Horizon Zero Dawn, etc.. For me it was RB4.
  • It's worth it if you put a lot of hours into the game. Fortunately I like other games as well so my PS4 gets used A LOT
  • edited November 11
    braves22 said:

You can still order instruments directly from PDP if I recall correctly...

Also, if you have local gaming shops, those are always great places to look because a lot of ppl threw out pristine (or close to) instruments because they thought the music genre had dried up...

I got 3 ridiculously good instruments from that method, and all I needed was the legacy adapter to use them...

eBay can also be a good friend...just like with anything else, make sure to buy from reputable sources.
    I was in their website, and it seems the only instrument available is the guitar, and I couldn't find it by itself. It was always bundled with the game. None of my local game show have ANYTHING rock band 4 related unfortunately.

As of right now I have a second mad catz Cingular coming, as Amazon has them for $49.99 each, and I might grab a legacy adapter as well since I still have older guitar hero controllers.

I am just very late to the rock band 4 party, and I am enjoying it extremely. I just grabbed rivals last night, and it's very well done with the whole crews ordeal. It's a shame the game isn't more popular, as this is the best the series has been if you have or plan on getting a lot of dlc.
  • I bought a ps4 for it, so...depends on how nutso you are for rock band.