Ions dying: Simmons SD1000 or Alesis Nitro

I got my Ions pretty much right when they came out. After coming back to RB4 in the last year or so, I find that they are dropping notes to the point where it impacts how much fun I'm having in the game.

I'm thinking to upgrade to a real e-kit. I'm on PS4 and have a MidiPro Adapter.

I was thinking to get an Alesis Nitro because it seems to be pretty well reviewed around here (and other places on line).

But, Guitar Center currently has the Simmons SD1000 for $338 ($450 plus 25% off). I know that it's an older drum line and from the little I've read Alesis seems to have a somewhat better reputation for quality than Simmons (really seems like Roland + Yamaha, then others). It also looks like the SD1000 would also make me get a beater for the kick drum (not included).

So, it the current lower level model (Nitro) better than the older higher level model (SD1000).

It looks like both of these kits have the MIDI out that I'd need to play RB (although I read somewhere that the SD1000 MIDI out only works if nothing in plugged into the USB out).

If you were me, which kit would you buy (or would you wait around until Black Friday to see if there are any other deals to be had). I keep telling myself that I'd like to spend < $350, but if there was a really good deal on a Forge (or even a Command) I might bite.

Comments

• braves22braves22 Opening Act
    You may want to check this out if you have one in your area...

https://www.bfads.net/stores/guitar-center/ads/black-friday/page-9#viewer
  • It looks like Guitar Center isn't honoring the price. They have the discount listed on the website, but you can't apply the code because the set is on clearance. Ah well...I think I'll be just as happy with a Nitro.
  • braves22braves22 Opening Act

It looks like Guitar Center isn't honoring the price. They have the discount listed on the website, but you can't apply the code because the set is on clearance. Ah well...I think I'll be just as happy with a Nitro.

Honoring what price...the URL I posted isn't active til Black Friday
  • Sorry, I meant the price in my original post.

They wouldn't honor the 25% off $450 for the SD1000. After calling a bunch of people there, I found one who gave me 25% off $500 ($375). I bought it at this price. I figured that was probably a pretty good price. I have read that Simmons isn't super reliable, but I'm hoping that a set that was ~ $700 less than a year ago ends up being at least as good as the Nitro.

The one thing I still need is a pedal for the bass drum. Anyone have any info on where to get one at a good price?
  • I have the Alesis Nitro and it works great. I had to get a different frame for it though, cuz the one that it came with it is pretty fragile.
  • The Nitro does get the job done, I have no complaints really. @RobotsPJs is correct about the frame though.

• The one thing I still need is a pedal for the bass drum. Anyone have any info on where to get one at a good price?

The Guitar Center by me has a 'used' section and I found a decent Tama pedal for 30$, otherwise check Craigslist or Ebay. Have upgraded to a PDP pedal and was a world of difference. I would assume a double chain drive would be even better?

Here's the midi values if needed. Happy Drumming! :smiley:
  • Thanks all.

I was hunting around on Carigslist and e-bay over the weekend. I found an old Pearl double pedal on Craigslist, but it was > an hour away and I was too lazy to go get it. Instead, I got a PDP SP400 that looks to be in very good condition for $40 shipped (looks like the single version of the pedal OHNOITSLYNCHO posted above).

It will be interesting to see how the SD1000 does. Looks like it gets mixed reviews online. I purchased with a CC that extends the manufacturer's warranty, so hopefully that helps if something goes wrong.

I'm sure that there will be a learning curve with the module, but I think it will be fun. It'll be nice to be able to play without the game once in a while too.