Just got Rock Band 4; Is it still fully supported?

edited November 10 in Rock Band
Hello all,

I have a couple general questions/concerns.

First I gotta admit, I wasn't too interested in RB4 when it first launch (which I do regret in many ways). Mainly because I didn't have $300 to drop on another title/kit, and I took a step back from video gaming in general for a good while due to busy schedules. But just recently I started getting back into the Rock Band titles on my Xbox 360 to use mainly for vocal practice, and it triggered me to finally start looking around for the Rock band 4 kits.

This is where I started to wonder about the current state of RB4 support. I did a lot of reading and looking things up before I purchased it, because I noticed none of my local retailers where carrying ANY of the bundles or controllers. I saw this has a concern. I went to Gamestop's website right off the official Rock Band page, and none of the bundles or peripherals are available through them at all.

The only places I could really find it was on Amazon and Best Buy. So I grabbed a mad catz version of RB4 band in the box for $169.00 from Amazon and I just now got it installed 2 days ago on my Xbox One. I started playing Rock Band 1 on release day back in 2007, had Rock band 2, and exported all the songs from 1 and 2 into Rock band 3, which, to my surprise, all of them carried over to 4 (I was pleasantly surprised about this, because I thought I had missed the chance to export 1 and 2 into the new game).

I like the instruments that came in my bundle, especially the new guitars. Pretty accurate after playing Xbox 360 controllers the last few weeks. But I see Harmonix was recently hit with a round of lay offs and the instruments are pretty hard to find in general. Rock band 4 the stand alone game is also only $12 on amazon. I know about PDP taking over the instruments and the publishing because Mad catz went bankrupt. I am a little late to the RB4 party, so I am wondering, how is the support for the game and it's peripherals? I see new songs are still being released, which is good, but the instruments are hard to fined, which I am some what worried about in case any of my current ones take a poopers on me. I know I handle my controllers well, but it IS a party game and Idk what other people would do to them ha. I just ordered a second guitar from amazon for $49.99, but it too is a mad catz model.

Now that Mad Catz has gone under, is PDP excepting support tickets for Mad Catz peripherals if they malfunction? And how good is the support tickets as far as turn around times and what not? How much longer are the controllers going to be made? I have read some reviews where people say some of the new PDP drum kits were not solid in pefromace, ect. I just don't wanna invest a bunch of money into this if it is loosing support from the two companies. Any thoughts or feedback?

Comments

• LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    edited November 10
    As far as I know, Mad Catz controllers are not supported by PDP. As for your other questions, I think PDP have a pretty good grasp on demand and they're not, to my knowledge, using Rock Band as a Hail Mary pass to save themselves. However, there's never a concrete answer to those kinds of questions because nobody knows what tomorrow will bring.
  • It wouldn't be a bad idea to grab a few of those $50 madcatz guitars if you can afford to - always good to have backups in case of malfunction (I have 5 RB4 guitars between madcatz and pdp, even though all of them function well) , and nobody knows when the game will stop being supported, although it should be a while.
  • Judging from last gen, the main signal for the end of RB4 will be Sony and Microsoft announcing their next gen consoles but that's probably still a few years away given the existence of XB1X and PS4 Pro.
  • Thanks for the replies guys. That's a bummer if PDP isn't taking Mad Catz controllers for repairs. The only PDP guitars I can find are bundled with the game, which I of course do not need.

I do have 3 to 5 older Xbox 360 guitar controllers, and I seen the list of supported wireless guitars with the legacy adapter which I found here:

https://www.amazon.com/Rock-Band-Legacy-Game-Controller-Adapter/dp/B01541ACLQ/ref=sr_1_6?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1510332459&sr=1-6&keywords=rock+band+4+xbox+one

I thought that might be an option as well, since I have a few of the older guitars still. I did read that the legacy adapter only allows one Xbox profile to be signed in at once though. Is that true?
  • Judging from last gen, the main signal for the end of RB4 will be Sony and Microsoft announcing their next gen consoles but that's probably still a few years away given the existence of XB1X and PS4 Pro.

Rock Band 3's final DLC happened before the Xbox One was announced and like, three weeks after the PS4 was announced, and it was set in stone about six months in advance of that.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited November 10
    HMXOwl said:

Judging from last gen, the main signal for the end of RB4 will be Sony and Microsoft announcing their next gen consoles but that's probably still a few years away given the existence of XB1X and PS4 Pro.

Rock Band 3's final DLC happened before the Xbox One was announced and like, three weeks after the PS4 was announced, and it was set in stone about six months in advance of that.
    Playstation Meeting 2013 (the event that revealed the PS4) date was announced in January 2013 and the end of RB DLC was announced in February 2013. While the end of RB DLC was planned earlier, maybe HMX knew about the consoles earlier?
  • braves22braves22 Opening Act

I did read that the legacy adapter only allows one Xbox profile to be signed in at once though. Is that true?

I don't think this is true...
  • SmashManSmashMan Rising Star

HMXOwl said:

Judging from last gen, the main signal for the end of RB4 will be Sony and Microsoft announcing their next gen consoles but that's probably still a few years away given the existence of XB1X and PS4 Pro.

Playstation Meeting 2013 (the event that revealed the PS4) date was announced in January 2013 and the end of RB DLC was announced in February 2013. While the end of RB DLC was planned earlier, maybe HMX knew about the consoles earlier?
    It sounds like you decided what the reason was and are working backwards to try and fit the facts into that.
  • SmashMan said:

HMXOwl said:

It sounds like you decided what the reason was and are working backwards to try and fit the facts into that.
    It's Grumble; just let it happen Smash :p
  • SmashMan said:

HMXOwl said:

No, more like potential reasons. It could've been that they knew about next gen when they decided to end DLC but didn't end DLC because of next gen. They could've decided on the end of DLC before they knew about next gen. Only HMX knows and they won't share of course.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior

Console lifespans are lasting longer and longer these days. Plus, while Xbox One and PS4 launched back in 2013, they didn't REALLY catch on until like last year. A lot of people were still sticking to Xbox 360 and PS3, and were hesitant to upgrade right away.
  • @tdc002 Yeah and this holiday season is the first time the XB1 and PS4 will be sub-$200. That's potentially going to add a lot of people.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior

@tdc002 Yeah and this holiday season is the first time the XB1 and PS4 will be sub-$200. That's potentially going to add a lot of people.

Even still, what with the internet these days and being able to patch consoles, it really extends the life of console generations.

Xbox only lasted 4 years, 360 lasted 10. Gamecube lasted 5 years, Wii lasted 6 (longer if you consider Wii U and upgrade to Wii and not a new console). Playstation's a weird example because they pay developers to squeeze the hell out of the life of their consoles (hence why annual games like Madden, NBA, WWE, CoD, etc come out on previous gen consoles for years after they're obsolete).

My point is, with large scale console upgrades, Xbox One/PS4 could easily last a decade. I don't think the next gen of consoles is coming any time soon.
  • braves22 said:

I did read that the legacy adapter only allows one Xbox profile to be signed in at once though. Is that true?

I understand it's one profile per adapter.
  • LoopyChew said:

braves22 said:

I understand it's one profile per adapter.
    That's what I read in stone of the reviews for the adapter. That's a bummer, but I'll make do with it ha. Might grab a couple more of those commissioners for $50 on Amazon.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    I literally have about a dozen copies of RB4 due to picking up spare guitars for $39 that came in bundles. When the bundle is cheaper than the stand-alone guitar, you get yet another copy of the game.
  • I thought I was the only crazy person with 5 RB4 guitars and 3 Mad Catz midi pro adapters just in case they break in the future after they are not made anymore. Lol.
    All of my RB4 guitars (Madcatz and PDP) still work and my first midi pro adapter is going on 7 years of non-stop usage. Some of my legacy guitars are starting to go but I don't play RB3 anymore.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    I was still feeling the pinch of no RB3 guitars at the end when the MadCatz RB4 Strat bundles starting going for $39, so I picked up, um... a few of them to be safe. Then I really loved how the fret buttons of the PDP Jag felt, so I picked up a few $49 bundles.

I have 4 MPAs, 3 wired legacy adapters, 3 Stage Kits, and a pretty unwieldy "guitar corner".

Not to mention 4 Rocksmith cables and 3 Band Fuse cables. And a back-up Xbox360.
  • kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act

I was still feeling the pinch of no RB3 guitars at the end when the MadCatz RB4 Strat bundles starting going for $39, so I picked up, um... a few of them to be safe. Then I really loved how the fret buttons of the PDP Jag felt, so I picked up a few $49 bundles.

I have 4 MPAs, 3 wired legacy adapters, 3 Stage Kits, and a pretty unwieldy "guitar corner".

Not to mention 4 Rocksmith cables and 3 Band Fuse cables. And a back-up Xbox360.

Wow and I thought I had a bunch. :)

And good on you for having a backup 360. I have a backup PS3. ;)