DLC Discussion Thread: You're Not Dreaming

Comments

• Lord_MhoramLord_Mhoram Road Warrior

tdc002 said:

I assumed Radiohead was a one hit wonder band until I spent time here... since the only thing I have heard outside the internet is "Creep"

Anytime I hear the title (and I know Radiohead was first), I think of the Stone Temple Pilots song.
  • I wanted to buy The Sign but can tell there is 0% chance I'd enjoy playing it.

I like exactly 3 Radiohead songs and now we have 2 of them. Good show. The third is The National Anthem which I highly doubt we'll get.

TIL someone thought Radiohead was a one hit wonder. 6/8 albums went platinum. Ok Computer is 5x platinum and that's not even the one with Creep.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior

I wanted to buy The Sign but can tell there is 0% chance I'd enjoy playing it.

I like exactly 3 Radiohead songs and now we have 2 of them. Good show. The third is The National Anthem which I highly doubt we'll get.

TIL someone thought Radiohead was a one hit wonder. 6/8 albums went platinum. Ok Computer is 5x platinum and that's not even the one with Creep.

British platinum doesn't mean too much around here. Only their first 4 have gone RIAA platinum, with OK Computer the only doubleplat.
  • edited November 14
    I have to admit that I haven't really listened to Radiohead outside of the two songs we already have, and I only requested "Karma Police" because it sounds like "Sexy Sadie" by The Beatles. That song is easily in my Top 10 favorite Beatles songs.
  • MCSMeisterMCSMeister Road Warrior
    edited November 14
    I just want to say that this is the fourth consecutive week of DLC where I'm buying everything (including Rewinds). And I'm not the type of RB player who collects all DLC, either. I can't recall this ever happening before. Harmonix, please keep up the streak!

...Even if it means I could go broke.
  • Harmonix still delivering the goods ..... great to see Radiohead back on the dlc train ... some real hope for some past exclusive artists
    Would love Street spirit ... would be extremely interested in the charting of this pretty tough guitar lick !!!
  • The only song I would care about this week is Weezer, but I already have it. Sadly since I got the pass I have to get Karma Police, but I really don't like that song.

Never was much of an Ace of Base fan either and wasnt really thrilled by what I saw in the preview... So really a down week for me.
  • I like Karma Police but will probably rarely want to play it over other songs.

Will get Ace of Base for the wife, though the guitar looks annoying.
  • Well...glad for the people who like this songs
  • dog037 said:

The only sad thing is that this could have been full album DLC in the earlier days.

This, this, and all of this.

I was joking when I said OK Computer full album confirmed in the prediction thread, but now seeing that a small sliver of it has come true... well, we can still have full albums later on if money permits, right? And you could always pull a twenty one pilots 01 and repackage the song for those that don't already own it.

That aside, really fantastic songs this week. One of Radiohead's big hits after ten years of nothing, a rather fun-looking pop song (The Sign), and the return of one of Weezer's best songs, and you have me sold.
  • DoughoefDoughoef Road Warrior
    I can't believe my eyes, more Radiohead!!! :smiley:
  • korndog81 said:

The sign? Jeez what's next?... Barbie Girl?

Quoting in case this happens.
  • tati81tati81 Opening Act
    Radiohead!!
  • korndog81 said:

Only in my dreams.

Also, that reminds me, "Only When I Sleep" by The Corrs would also be nice.
  • MemoDLSGMemoDLSG Opening Act
    korndog81 said:

I hope it's Wannabe (zero sarcasm)
  • So I read this on Wikipedia regarding the recording of the OK Computer album:
    Radiohead resumed recording in September 1996 at St Catherine's Court, a historic mansion near Bath owned by actress Jane Seymour.[29] The mansion was unoccupied but sometimes used for corporate functions.[30] The change of setting marked an important transition in the recording process. Greenwood, comparing the mansion to previous studio settings, said it "was less like a laboratory experiment, which is what being in a studio is usually like, and more about a group of people making their first record together."[30]

The band made extensive use of the different rooms and acoustics in the house. The vocals on "Exit Music (For a Film)" feature natural reverberation achieved by recording on a stone staircase, and "Let Down" was recorded in a ballroom at 3 a.m.[31] Isolation allowed the band to work at a different pace, with more flexible and spontaneous working hours. O'Brien said that "the biggest pressure was actually completing [the recording]. We weren't given any deadlines and we had complete freedom to do what we wanted. We were delaying it because we were a bit frightened of actually finishing stuff."[32] Yorke was satisfied with the quality of the recordings made at the location, and enjoyed working without audio separation, meaning that instruments were not overdubbed separately.[33] O'Brien was similarly pleased with the recordings, estimating that 80 per cent of the album was recorded live,[30][33] and said: "I hate doing overdubs, because it just doesn't feel natural. ... Something special happens when you're playing live; a lot of it is just looking at one another and knowing there are four other people making it happen."
    It doesn't look like "Karma Police" is going to have separate stems. :neutral: Guess I'll find out for sure tomorrow or later today if it goes up early.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    not necessarily. you can still record live and have each instrument going to a separate track. the audio separation comment is interesting, but could just be taken out of context. he could just be referring to the acoustics and ambience of the rooms they recorded in. when you're using rooms with really active acoustics, it's common to set up room mics to capture the reverberation and record it, but it would still normally be recorded to a separate track so the proper amount can be added into the mix. the individual instruments could still be on their own tracks in that case.
  • calloycalloy Unsigned
    I'll take Karma Police to go with Dream Police and suggest we need a few more songs by The Police
  • calloycalloy Unsigned

calloy said:

I'll take Karma Police to go with Dream Police and suggest we need a few more songs by The Police

Funny, I was thinking we needed "Karma Chameleon" and "Instant Karma!" for theme completion.
    with your way, we don't need no steenking batches.

• hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior

calloy said:

Funny, I was thinking we needed "Karma Chameleon" and "Instant Karma!" for theme completion.
    I love everything mentioned in these two posts
  • tnevaker said:

not necessarily. you can still record live and have each instrument going to a separate track. the audio separation comment is interesting, but could just be taken out of context. he could just be referring to the acoustics and ambience of the rooms they recorded in. when you're using rooms with really active acoustics, it's common to set up room mics to capture the reverberation and record it, but it would still normally be recorded to a separate track so the proper amount can be added into the mix. the individual instruments could still be on their own tracks in that case.

I'm hoping to be proven wrong once I play the song. Live recordings definitely don't 100% equate to no separation seeing as how we have quite a few live recordings that were seemingly used over the master recordings due to having proper separation when the masters did not.
  • calloy said:

Karma from Kamelot to complete the Extra Karma pack
  • If you preordered Rivals, Karma Police is the only spotlight song you need to buy:

• ShaggyBShaggyB Unsigned
    Well im glad some are happy, but this marks two in a row for the spotlight pass that I would not have bought.... I would have been ok with foghat and ace of base as the last two weeks but Radiohead peaked with Creep for me (1 and done... thoguh i understand many people like the rest of there catalogue) and last weeks Violent Femmes are instant regret buying the spotlight pass.

Hope next week tightens up
  • I'll continue to buy the Spotlight Pass sight unseen because I prefer being able to help my crew with all Spotlight songs.
  • I'm so Goddamn happy about this week.
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited November 16
    Karma Police is up on Sony NA!
    Wow that never happens this early!! and its listed right! FREE!

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP8802-CUSA02084_00-RBKARMAPOLICEXXX

NOTE: Ace of Base is not up yet.