DLC Discussion Thread: Aughts

Comments

• Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    edited November 20
    We all had to write a poem in 2nd grade and the teacher liked mine so much she had me print it out on ditto paper and run off 30 copies for everyone in my class to keep. I bet my Mom still has a copy somewhere.

That was the beginning and the end of my flirtation with a career in the written arts.
  • @kal_el_0724 Given we are still technically in 90s week until the challenge ends, Daniel’s comments may have been about the 90s week and the RBN pack rather than the early 00s week and the RBN pack. If that’s the case then you have Radiohead, a band many thought would never return and RBN songs which many had given up hope of seeing in RB4 given the entitlement mess of the past 2 years.

But also let's not forget that the RBN we did get were all friends of Harmonix or Harmonix-employee bands. Let's also not set our RBN expectations too high ;)
  • Yikes. If the 00’s were such a big decade for music that we needed 2 weeks to represent the decade, couldn’t we get more than 1 new and very polarizing song?
  • @kal_el_0724 Given we are still technically in 90s week until the challenge ends, Daniel’s comments may have been about the 90s week and the RBN pack rather than the early 00s week and the RBN pack. If that’s the case then you have Radiohead, a band many thought would never return and RBN songs which many had given up hope of seeing in RB4 given the entitlement mess of the past 2 years.

But also let's not forget that the RBN we did get were all friends of Harmonix or Harmonix-employee bands. Let's also not set our RBN expectations too high ;)
    The only ones you can kind of discount are Bang on a Can, (they were more a pick by Alex) and Dance for the Dying (Sage's pick).

Side-note, Bang on a Can were in a good episode of Arthur a few years ago. Watch it sometime!
  • jaystonepkjaystonepk Opening Act
    While this wouldn't have been an instant purchase for me, I have found the country tracks enjoyable to play even though I may not care for the sound of (some) the music.

Also, why are people assuming the next challenge won't be late Aughts? Early Aughts will run through the 28th and while the next challenge would start on the 30th, the majority of the challenge still falls in December. Works for me.
  • Groudon199Groudon199 1 hour, 39 minutes, 52 seconds
    Good news! Save A Horse has proper stems.
  • Ought to have picked better songs for DLC this week.
  • dinomandinoman Rising Star
    EliBell1 said:

Isn't aught the sound the Disturbed singer makes? I don't see any of their songs in the announcement, so what gives?

Awk
  • I found this week mixed. I already have "The Middle". "Save a Horse (Ride a Cowboy)" looks fun but not anything special for me. I'm mostly just disappointed at how many rewind songs we're getting when it could be an extra song for everybody and not just those without the exports.

P.S. I'm also a bit sore that there's no "Sk8er Boi", it was a secret hope of mine.
  • Last Resort is the legacy DLC spotlight.
  • edited November 23
    I don't why so many people here detest Save a Horse - I personally love it in its cheesy, Southern rock-way. Then again, I live in Georgia - country music is our second religion.

That being said, this week could have been so much more awesome, but I'm not complaining about what we do have. One of my favorite country songs and one of the best rock songs of the same era, and you have me sold.

Ten years though! I still remember playing the first Rock Band and failing Blitzkrieg Bop on easy. Now I can play the entirety of Slayer 01 on expert and get near-perfect accuracy ratings. It's been a fun ride, and I hope it continues for ten years more.
  • wh1t3kn1tewh1t3kn1te Opening Act
    so for this weeks challenge, I have songs that don't count toward the xp contribution, namely who knew by p1nk, even though its from 2006.
  • @wh1t3kn1te There's 2 00s challenges of which this week is 2000-2005.
  • wh1t3kn1tewh1t3kn1te Opening Act
    thanks, didn't realize that.
  • EliBell1 said:

Isn't aught the sound the Disturbed singer makes? I don't see any of their songs in the announcement, so what gives?

You know I'm a Disturbed fanatic, but this what I thought when I first saw the announcement! :p Yeah, something from "Believe" or "Ten Thousand Fists" would've been perfect this week; but then again, my favorite album "Indestructible" was 2008... Ah, I know it's just a pipe dream, but I personally haven't been happy with the dlc since '70's week. I am enjoying the decades theme, however, and on that qualification, this has been my favorite week yet! ;)
  • Have to agree... Spotlights have been disappointing the past couple challenges, but the overall theme has been good.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited November 26
    It's interesting that we may actually have a whole season with no new metal, that hasn't happened before.
  • It's interesting that we may actually have a whole season with no new metal, that hasn't happened before.

How long does it take to program in the winter camo pants to go with the Sabaton mega pack?
  • BaronRob said:

It's interesting that we may actually have a whole season with no new metal, that hasn't happened before.

How long does it take to program in the winter camo pants to go with the Sabaton mega pack?
    You need a vest with metal plates too
  • The harder part is getting your partners to wear the same ridiculous outfit you're wearing.
  • Did we ever get an explanation as to why “Last Resort” used to be some strange alternate take back when it was first released as DLC but is now the album take in RB4?

I guess it could be as simple as the original masters being lost when it was first licensed, and then they were found between then and when Harmonix went back to relicense the song 5 years later or whenever.

Definitely a cool thing to have happen. I had no intention of buying the song back when it sounded so off, but I immediately purchased it when I heard it had been replaced in RB4.
  • Wildcat15 said:

BaronRob said:

And a bass with a Swedish flag design
  • BaronRob said:

Wildcat15 said:

BaronRob said:

And a bass with a Swedish flag design
    Might as well bring a tank
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star

We all had to write a poem in 2nd grade and the teacher liked mine so much she had me print it out on ditto paper and run off 30 copies for everyone in my class to keep. I bet my Mom still has a copy somewhere.

I didn't get that reaction to this 8th grade submisssion:

All I see is in a haze
    I walk around in a daze
    All I hear sounds like fuzz
    I have a marijuana buzz!
  • EliBell1 said:

Did we ever get an explanation as to why “Last Resort” used to be some strange alternate take back when it was first released as DLC but is now the album take in RB4?

I guess it could be as simple as the original masters being lost when it was first licensed, and then they were found between then and when Harmonix went back to relicense the song 5 years later or whenever.

Definitely a cool thing to have happen. I had no intention of buying the song back when it sounded so off, but I immediately purchased it when I heard it had been replaced in RB4.

Wait, what?!?!? I'm very skeptical of this. Here was a recording of it from last week.

The mix maybe is different, but it still sounds off to me...
  • edited November 28

Wait, what?!?!? I'm very skeptical of this. Here was a recording of it from last week.

The mix maybe is different, but it still sounds off to me...

What exactly still sounds off? The instrumentation or the vocals?

The vocal track was definitely replaced between RB3 and RB4, and I can’t notice any differences between it and the album take. The instrumentation I never really noticed ever being off in the original release due to mainly focusing on how off the vocals were.

Edit:

The more I compare the vocals, the more I am starting to notice differences, so maybe we still don’t actually have the album version after all?

Maybe it’s this version from GH5?

There are people in the comments saying this version that GH got is off as well.
  • I don't think they replaced the vocal track at all. I think it was remixed but all of the complaints about how he said certain things being different still stand iirc. It just sounds more like the album version as it's mixed in better.

Before it sounded like the vocals were placed on top of the rest if the song, if that makes sense.