How much do you think the skill system needs to be reworked?

Comments

• kaneruleskanerules Rising Star
    edited November 27
    @thatmarkguy thanks for the input. I checked out the app and I can see that someone must have been signed in on my account and did Dream On after the wipe. I definitely had a gold star on it bit now it shows as a 4 star on Hard lol.

Hopefully that one song is enough to get my skill level to 1000 once I fix it tonight.

On a related note...I'm seeing a lot of my vocal scores disappear week over week. I'll usually notice when I play a song on guitar, the next time I play vocals and filter it by stars, that same song no longer has a vocal score tied to it. Any ideas? I have gold starred every song I own on vocals so I know they're completed but there's always between 5-10 that suddenly lose the score.
  • You're probably still touching songs that got wiped forever ago. Basically, we rinsed out all scores for certain leaderboards a few times, and when you played it AFTER that on anything, it'd clear out your local display so you could identify which.
    @HMXOwl alright cool. That makes sense thanks for the clarification.
  • OakTeaOakTea Road Warrior
    The skill system needs some changes.
    I'm disappointed that I'll likely never get the rivals mission because I've played very hard DLC on Vocals, Harmonies, Guitar, Bass, Drums, and Pro Drums before knowing that this was an achievement.

As someone who could fairly easily get 1000 skill on all of those instruments given a blank slate, I feel like I'm punished for having songs like Thrasher and Blinded by Fear in my library and actually playing them.

It's also lame to see my Bass skill go down as I play more songs that actually deserve the devil tier. It feels like the more I play and practice, the lower my "skill" goes.

I think I'll be able to do it with Pro Drums though as I've generally only played regular Drums since the big leaderboard wipe.
  • joseph5185joseph5185 Opening Act
    The skill system needs some minor tweaks.

I sort of quit caring about my skill rating once I got the trophies for it. It just feels really useless (no rewards for hitting certain milestones etc.) and a number I'm assuming most don't even look at.

On the contrary, I can tell you being an ADMIN on a Bloodstone level crew that "skill" is one of the very first things we will look at.

No, it's not everything by any means, but I assure you, it's noticed.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    The skill system is fine the way it is.
    I'm glad I got in as an original member. I might not pass muster as a replacement... B)
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior
    I don't care about the skill system one way or another.
    Skill system is just another arbitrary number that doesn't affect anything, just like leveling up.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    The skill system is fine the way it is.
    tdc002 said:

Skill system is just another arbitrary number that doesn't affect anything, just like leveling up.

I disagree. If you want to game the system and not play your songs, it can be gamed. But I have 1600+ songs and play whatever I feel like on whatever instruments and I think my ratings are pretty fair. I'm higher rated than people that it seems like I'm better than, and lower rated than other people who seem better than me. Seems like it works.
    @thatmarkguy thanks for the suggestion about checking out the app the other day. As I mentioned I discovered Dream On with a 4-star Hard score somehow...so I played for the xpert FC today and boom 1000 vocal skill lol.
  • tdc002tdc002 Road Warrior

tdc002 said:

I disagree. If you want to game the system and not play your songs, it can be gamed. But I have 1600+ songs and play whatever I feel like on whatever instruments and I think my ratings are pretty fair. I'm higher rated than people that it seems like I'm better than, and lower rated than other people who seem better than me. Seems like it works.
    I'm not saying the system is flawed or wrong, I'm just saying it's pointless. It's just a number. You don't unlock anything by improving that number as you progress. Nothing happens if your number goes up or down. Other people don't even see it unless they dig through a few menus. It's literally just a number on the screen that affects nothing at the end of the day.
  • The skill system needs some changes.
    There are 2 main things that irk me about the current system.

1. Difficulty plays a part in the score, but difficulty is related to how easy it is to fail a song, not how difficult a song is to gold star. There are songs on Nightmare that I can get gold on without even trying, but random songs in lower difficulties that may have one tricky section that stops me from getting gold. Maybe that evens out over the course of things, maybe not,,, but it's annoying.

2. I really hate the fact that your skill is penalized because you played a song on hard and got a score that you can't beat on expert, even though you are now good enough to play the song on the highest difficulty, just not gold or FC it.

I don't know if there's anything that could realistically be done about either of these w/o a complete overhaul though.

It's not like I'm foaming at the mouth over this or anything... just an annoyance.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    tdc002 said:

It's just a number. You don't unlock anything by improving that number as you progress.

You unlock: a trophy! Yeah, I guess that's technically worthless.
    Truly obsessed gamers have internal rules that state all trophies should be "possible" to obtain, if you are dedicated to the task and very talented. But I think even the top 1% of players might not get to skill rating of 950 if they didn't put some effort into planning out an efficient strategy ahead of time. It's unfair!
    Yep.
    But it doesn't matter anyway, right?
    Unless it matters DEEPLY to you. That's how developers wind up getting their mailbox filled up with angry and threatening messages. What a nightmare that must be.
    I care. Sometime I even get "pretty frustrated", for weeks at a time, and remain "kinda bothered about it" for years. But I get upset at ME. For not being good enough. Not everyone is wired that way.

[It's undoubtedly a good thing that not everyone is wired exactly the way I am. Now THAT would be a nightmare.]
  • MistressDeviantMistressDeviant Unsigned
    edited November 30
    Thank you for all your advice. The app, that's what I'd like to see changed. I'm disabled, so I don't get enough money to buy a smartphone. I'd like to see the information provided here to be able to be accessed through the game or a website; at least in terms that like in my situation, I can keep track of my 1,000+ dlc songs and progress. I have been following previous suggestions of raising my skill before as well, but it is frustratingly hard to remain on top of things without access to the app personally. I remember in RB2/3 when we were able to see more on this site and I also remember when we were hacked, so I know that may not be the best solution, but perhaps just make a few additions to the stats screen that may help us see how close we are to reaching the next skill point. The mission only shows your highest number.

• 2. I really hate the fact that your skill is penalized because you played a song on hard and got a score that you can't beat on expert, even though you are now good enough to play the song on the highest difficulty, just not gold or FC it.

I don't know if there's anything that could realistically be done about either of these w/o a complete overhaul though.

It's not like I'm foaming at the mouth over this or anything... just an annoyance.

I agree ... I always thought the scoring system in RB3 was wonky because of this and its apparently carried over into RB4. Scores should be better reflective of the difficulty level. Expert obviously requires greater skill to be able to hit more notes and/or harder notes on a notes highway that is moving faster. IMO, there's no way an FC score on Hard should be able to beat a 99% gold star song with one or two misses on Expert.

• LeCH24LeCH24 Opening Act
    The skill system needs a complete overhaul.
    It should all be based on who hits moar notes
  • GraffinGraffin Rising Star
    edited December 1
    The only part of the skill system that irks me is not being able to get 1000 skill, all because I can't gold star Spoonman (why did I even attempt it... d'oh).

I wish it would allow me to gain the extra 2 skill points by achieving gold stars on 5 or 10 other songs in that same difficulty tier.
  • OakTeaOakTea Road Warrior
    @Graffin Try being a thrash metal fan!