Radio's Request Thread

Radiohead97Radiohead97 Rising Star
edited November 27 in Your Ultimate Setlist
After being on these forums long enough, I've decided to throw my hat into the tiering ring. Unlike a lot of threads, however, I will be posting the images on an external blog. The main directory of tiers can be found here.

Only rule I have is three songs at a time, totaling no more than 30 min. If you wish to request an album, please do it three songs at a time.

Expect some of my own tiers to pop up on there as well. I will update with those too.

My updates will comes 15 requests at a time, plus any extra songs I tier on my own. When I hit the number 15, I will put requests on hold so I may do tiering. This will help space out updates and keep me from getting overworked.

Comments

• The Stone Roses - This Is The One
    Dinosaur Jr - Get Me
    Melissa Etheridge - Bring Me Some Water
  • 1. Emerson, Lake & Powell - Touch and Go
    2. Warrant - April 2031
    3. Steel Breeze - You Don't Want Me Anymore
  • Awesome! Let's start with a punk 3-pack...

-Deviates - "Come With Me"
    -Vision - "Don't Sound the Alarm"
    -War on Women - "Second Wave Goodbye"
  • MCSMeisterMCSMeister Road Warrior
    edited November 27
    Finally! I'm glad you're starting your own tiering thread for once. I'm really excited for it, especially since we've needed an active tierer around these parts ever since TuleRune vanished. I'm honestly surprised it didn't happen sooner given that you've stuck around Your Ultimate Setlist consistently for the past 5 years. Good idea on putting the tiers on a separate blog, BTW. That way, you won't ever need a second thread and can just always use this one. I know some of the really ancient tierers used to do it that way.

Anyway, to start this off, I'll bring over the last requests I had on @TuleRune's thread before his disappearance. Hope you like 'em, and looking forward to the tiers! :)
    Starting off with yet another track from CHVRCHES' debut album, a beautiful track from Grizzly Bear (a band who, despite having known for a while, have only just started to really get into) and a reggae-tinged track from the infamous YouTube persona, Poppy.
    CHVRCHES - "Lies" (from The Bones of What You Believe, 2013)
    Grizzly Bear - "Yet Again" (from Shields, 2012)
    That Poppy - "Lowlife" (from Bubblebath, 2016)

Oh BTW, I'm assuming you're using RB4 tiering rules, e.g. keys charted on guitar when applicable? Just makin' sure.
  • Radiohead97Radiohead97 Rising Star
    Yes I am using RB4 rules
  • Great, a new tiering thread! Let me request 3; hard rock, power metal and folk metal:
    Rival Sons - Hollow Bones pt.1
    Orden Ogan - Vampire in Ghost Town
    Skyforger - The March of 1916
    edited December 2
    Tiers and thoughts have been posted to the blog. The link to the post itself can be found here

Requests are now open again
  • Cool to see ya try it out, Radiohead! Just gonna try and request a song a time, but would you rather me do three for the sake of your fifteen limit?
    The Lemon Twigs - As Long As We're Together (from Do Hollywood, 2016)
    edited December 2
    It would be preferred, but it's okay if you don't want to.

Also anyone who has critiques about the tiers is welcome to post them.
  • My requests, three symphonic/prog/power metal songs:
    Therion - Nightside of Eden
    Sigh - Pale Monument
    Wuthering Heights - Apathy Divine pt.1
    Click here

The following songs were personally tiered to coincide with RB's 10th anniversary, but I'm a little late, I know.

Beastie Boys - (You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party)
    Boston - Amanda
    Deep Purple - Fireball
    Garbage - Cherry Lips (Go Baby Go)
    Iron Maiden - To Tame a Land
    The Killers - Jenny Was a Friend of Mine
    Kiss - I Was Made for Lovin' You
    Metallica - Fuel
    OK Go - This Too Shall Pass
    R.E.M. - Everybody Hurts
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - The Longest Wave
    Rush - Distant Early Warning
    Sweet - Fox on the Run
    The Who - Picture of Lily
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Y Control
  • Alright, now let's do, uh... Three Songs With No Real Link Between Them Whatsoever.

-Animal Collective - "Summertime Clothes"
    -Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Shallow Be Thy Game"
    -Trivium - "Torn Between Scylla and Charybdis"
  • Angel Witch - "Angel Witch"
    Procol Harum - "Conquistador" (Live in Concert with the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra)
    Suicidal Tendencies - "Send Me Your Money"
    For those keeping score at home, five request spots are left this round.
  • Aldo Nova - Fantasy
    Opus - Live Is Life

Someone else can do the remaining 3 spots, I just want to fill in two.
    edited December 2
    Wow, I'm loving this format for tier updates! It's really cool and different from anything tierers have done in the past. Very visual, too.

Anyway, for the sake of getting my requests in before the spaces fill up, I'm just going to post my next requests now and edit in my thoughts/critique afterwards. I think I'll make this a habit from now on unless there's plenty of spaces left by the time I get around to this thread. EDIT: Thoughts in spoiler.

Overall, the tiers look pretty great! Shame that you weren't that big on the Poppy song, but I didn't really expect you to be. I do plan on requesting more of her songs in the future (maybe even a full pack) so I'll hope you like those more. I'm kind of surprised synthtar is so high on "Lies", though, it doesn't sound like anything too difficult is happening. I never thought the drums sounded all that difficult, either, especially compared to other CHVRCHES songs which often have much faster and wilder drum parts. Awesome to hear you loved "Yet Again" - more Grizzly Bear to come in the future for sure. I only just started diving into them this year after having known "Two Weeks" since 2015 (which is probably among my favorite songs of all time, by the way). I'm a little surprised vocals are only a 2 on that one, though.

My next requests are going to be more carryover requests from a dead tiering thread (@GameMaster439's, to be specific). After this, I'll start requesting entirely new stuff.

Time to shake it up a bit with some '70s hits. Starting off is the King Harvest classic "Dancing in the Moonlight". Next, a song from one-hit wonder Lighthouse (which almost sounds like Chicago gone progressive rock to me :p) and finally, possibly one of the most brilliantly cheesy hits made to capitalize on the disco craze, a disco-fied remake of the Star Wars theme.

King Harvest - "Dancing in the Moonlight" (from Dancing in the Moonlight, 1973)
    Lighthouse - "One Fine Morning" (from One Fine Morning, 1971)
    Meco - "Star Wars Theme/Cantina Band" (from Star Wars and Other Galactic Funk, 1977)
    Thank you everyone. Requests are now closed. Stay tuned!

Overall, the tiers look pretty great! Shame that you weren't that big on the Poppy song, but I didn't really expect you to be. I do plan on requesting more of her songs in the future (maybe even a full pack) so I'll hope you like those more. I'm kind of surprised synthtar is so high on "Lies", though, it doesn't sound like anything too difficult is happening. I never thought the drums sounded all that difficult, either, especially compared to other CHVRCHES songs which often have much faster and wilder drum parts. Awesome to hear you loved "Yet Again" - more Grizzly Bear to come in the future for sure. I only just started diving into them this year after having known "Two Weeks" since 2015 (which is probably among my favorite songs of all time, by the way). I'm a little surprised vocals are only a 2 on that one, though.

Lies felt pretty busy on drums and synthtar, and had enough variety in them to bump them up to a four. Yet Again, on the other hand, I felt didn't go all over enough to warrant anything higher than a 2.
    Click Here

Latest update is done. Some hits, some misses for me. Not much else to say about this.

Requests are now open, but following the next request update, I will be temporarily closing this thread for the holidays.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    Oh hey a new tiers thread! I've been wanting to get on top of this with requests, but I've only been able to see this thread after requests are closed. Here's some very varied things.

D:Ream - Things Can Only Get Better
    Igorrr - Houmous
    Roxette - Chances
    edited December 7
    Tiers look good for the most part! I'd buy all of these in Rock Band for sure, even Star Wars/Cantina Band in all of its cheesy glory :p Thoughts:
    Yeah, that King Harvest album is hella obscure, but the album cover you used is the one that Discogs uses (which, BTW, I'd recommend using for obscure releases) so you're correct. I gave you the album year in my request, as well. I'll assume you envisioned the electric piano in the intro being charted on guitar during the gaps of no guitar, hence the tier bump because it's not all that difficult on actual guitar. I probably would have put vocals lower than a 3, personally, because the vocal melody is a bit repetitive.

"One Fine Morning" looks pretty good. Even when @SoConfined tiered it back in the day with RB3-style tiers, he wasn't far off from yours, and that's not even considering the fact that piano is charted to guitar on yours. I think it could certainly be devils even without that because it's fast alt-strumming for practically the whole song, plus a lengthy guitar solo at the end, so I can see where he was coming from. I'm actually a little surprised you didn't put it at devils now that I re-listen to it. Anyway, this one would be a full-band challenge for sure.

You wanna talk about cringe? Not only did Meco produce this, but he also produced a Star Wars Christmas album which is known for being the first appearance of Jon Bon Jovi on record. I'm not kidding. But yes, it's just as kitschy as disco gets. Star Wars may be badass, but put the theme in a genre it doesn't belong and you set yourself up for disaster. Naturally, this was a number-one hit when it came out, simply because disco was so omnipresent. It would be super fun to play despite all of this bashing though, lol. I definitely thought drums would be a 5 because that fast hi-hat beat is unrelenting, and there's a ton of fills, too. The Cantina Band half is a little slower to balance it out, but it doesn't last long and goes right back to the other beat afterwards.

Now for my first new requests! I’m going to start with some random songs I’ve heard throughout this past year that I’ve wanted tiered - some trippy-as-heck neo-psychedelia, an empowering indie anthem, and a song from the Cars 3 soundtrack that features Gary Clark Jr., a tremendously underrated guitarist IMO. After this, I think I’ll start a quasi-album project that I’ve also wanted to do for quite some time. After the holiday hiatus, anyway.

Fever the Ghost - “Calico” (from Crab in Honey, 2014)
    MisterWives - “Machine” (from Connect the Dots, 2017)
    ZZ Ward - “Ride” (feat. Gary Clark Jr.) (from Cars 3 soundtrack, 2017)

I was going to link the music video for "Calico", but because of how strange it is (and because it has some nudity), I figured I should be safe and just link the Bandcamp page for the song. If you're curious, though, look up the music video by all means ;) I just don't want to break any forum rules.
  • Heatmiser - "Get Lucky"
    Dead Sara - "Something Good"
    Built to Spill - "Carry the Zero"
  • thebipsnbeepsthebipsnbeeps Unsigned
    edited December 8
    I'll do three this time, but I don't mind splitting songs with others if people wanna, I can understand the beauty of having a three-pack-like theme tho. Did some that I was curious what the guitar chart would be in decidedly lead-guitar-less songs and a little Cohen nod in the mix ("just in time for the season" I guess, seeing as Hallelujah got to be the weirdest Christmas standard and such)

Foxygen - America (from Hang, 2017)
    Leonard Cohen - Is This What You Wanted? (from New Skin for the Old Ceremony, 1974)
    Tame Impala - Feels Like We Only Go Backwards (from Lonerism, 2012)
  • -A Wilhelm Scream - "The Horse"
    -Fightstar - "Lost Like Tears in Rain" (this song's lyrics being about Eva are a huge plus for me)
    -Nothing More - "Mr. MTV"
  • Dang it, every request spot has been filled! I just got home to see if the thread was back up in order to do that, but stuff happened and the like.

That aside, I'm really liking this thread so far. Pretty cool song choices all around and good tiers from what I can tell. Keep up the good work!
    edited December 8
    Requests are closed

@JimmyLethal Unfortunately you landed just outside the 15. I feel bad for making you wait until after the holiday break for your requests, so I will make an exception and do an 18 song update.
    edited December 8
    https://rbtrsrh97.blogspot.com/2017/12/update-4-personal.html
    Personal update was made today. This update features 10 songs from my RB5 setlist. They include...

13th Floor Elevators - You're Gonna Miss Me
    Hole - Malibu
    Journey - Wheel in the Sky
    Living Colour - Open Letter (To a Landlord)
    My Chemical Romance - The Ghost of You
    Pearl Jam - Hail, Hail
    Ratt - Lay It Down
    Slayer - Behind the Crooked Cross
    Strung Out - Blueprint of the Fall
    U2 - New Year's Day

Feel free to give me feedback on the tiers I do on my own
  • I knew Behind the Crooked Cross would be devil tier drums, insane track.