DLC Discussion Thread: Late Aughts

edited December 5 in Rock Band
HMXOwl said:

DLC Week of 11/30: Amon Amarth and The Killers!

This week we’re reflecting on what we rocked to 10 years ago as we close out the '00s!

“Twilight Of The Thunder God” is the title track of the Nordic mythology concept album by Swedish metal band Amon Amarth. The album was a huge success across Europe(especially in their home country) and made multiple year-end top 10 lists. Vocals are heavy, insane drums drive the song, and distorted guitar keeps a half-time recurring riff over the top.

Making a triumphant return from the original Rock Band setlist is The Killers' fan favorite “When You Were Young”. The band formed in Las Vegas in the early 2000s and were propelled to super-stardom with the release of their sophomore album Sam’s Town. “When You Were Young” would become one of their most successful songs, reaching #1 on the U.S. Modern Rock Tracks chart and attaining platinum status in the US. Brandon Flower’s vocals move in eighth note phrases, while the guitar plays between arpeggiated riffs and power chord strums. Bass and drums lock in a steady groove.

Songs can be purchased individually for $1.99 each. The Rock Band Rivals Season 3 Spotlight Pass can be purchased for $13.49.

• Amon Amarth - "Twilight Of The Thunder God" (Part of the Rock Band Rivals Season 3 Spotlight Pass)
  • The Killers - "When You Were Young" (Rewind)

* Please note that this week’s DLC tracks will be available for purchase on Tuesday, November 30th.

Comments

• YES VIKING METAL

Drummers and guitarists gonna love or hate this, depending on who they are
  • I knew hoping for a Killers pack was fool's gold. At best we can hope for The Man sometime in December/early January during the pop run.
  • tnevakertnevaker Road Warrior
    nope.
  • djb5f1djb5f1 Unsigned
    Ha, it's official, passing on the spotlight pass this time. Will cherry pick the couple of songs I really want, add a few to the wish list.
  • MCSMeisterMCSMeister Road Warrior
    Congratulations to Amon Amarth for making it to Rock Band.
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited November 28
    I guess there goes all hope for more from The Killers anytime soon. I figured the best chance of more would be in a pack with When You Were Young, still it's good for those who didn't export RB1 and another RBVR song is complete.

Twilight of the Thunder God is a good song though so it's not all negative.
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    Damn, I really never thought we were gonna get Amon Amarth, glad to be proven wrong! Definitely picking up that song, and I would pick up the Killers song too if I didn’t have it for 10+ years

It’s been a long time since they’ve had a metal song I like as DLC, I’m very excited for this one
  • Gotta say no to both.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    The late 00's were a decade ago? The math checks out and all but it's just more proof to me that I'm a time traveler.

This song peaked at #50 on the Billboard 200 on October 18, 2008. Surely this is the most obscure / least "popular" spotlight song so far, and hopefully ever. I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed.

Oh, apparently their more recent releases have sold quite well even among general audiences. OK.
  • MistressDeviantMistressDeviant Unsigned
    edited November 28
    Metal! Wish it would've been a more challenging vocal song for a spotlight; but as I've said, I already got my butt kicked in the '70's. Good luck to the other instruments this week, and thanks for bringing Viking metal to RB. My deceased grandmother on the maternal side could trace her family back to Vikings, so it's in my blood. This week's for you, Oma!
  • Spotlight pass was great for the first 4 songs, these most recent 2 have not been my favorite. Happy for anyone who is excited though.
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    Seriously, this is really cool that we’re getting some viking metal in Rock Band, this’ll be a super unique song to play
    That track by The Killers is a solid choice for a rewind release.
    My wife loves to sing it at karaoke [though she was told more than once, after singing it, that she should make sure to hold on tightly to her regular source of employment].
  • kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act
    And there's yo metal.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP

The late 00's were a decade ago? The math checks out and all but it's just more proof to me that I'm a time traveler.

This song peaked at #50 on the Billboard 200 on October 18, 2008. Surely this is the most obscure / least "popular" spotlight song so far, and hopefully ever. I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed.

Oh, apparently their more recent releases have sold quite well even among general audiences. OK.

Not exactly. Its currently at about 16.5 million listens on Spotify which is pretty high for a metal count. That currently beats out top songs from Mastodon or Dream Theater top material. So its a little more obscure than a classic 80s song, but its a hit in its own genre.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited November 28
    Hell yeah, pumped for Amon Armath! Here's hoping for more Scandinavian metal!
  • Not big on metal but it's in my pass, so all right. I figure if I recognize the name they're big enough for actual metalheads.

And of course I already have WYWY, but I'm happy others can get it.
  • =Weekly Challenge Theme: Entering the Final Stretch (2006-2009)=
    - Blood Red Rock (Bang Camaro (First RBN Song to be Spotlight)
    - Miss Murder (AFI)
    - Twilight of the Thunder God (Amon Amarth)

Was kinda hoping for Chelsea Dagger, which was sorely missing from the Fratellis pack, but I'm sure this week's Spotlight song will be fun to play for all those die-hard metal fans of the game's francise (There's someone in my crew who is like that).

Hopefully, next Season will be classic metal (Like pre-2000s (Ranging from 1970s-1990s).
  • SCFoxSCFox Opening Act
    After the first few weeks, I was starting to regret not getting this spotlight pass and cherry picking the songs. After this week and last my decision paid off. Both new songs look fun, but I would never personally choose to purchase or play them.
    Witticus said:

Not exactly. Its currently at about 16.5 million listens on Spotify which is pretty high for a metal count. That currently beats out top songs from Mastodon or Dream Theater top material. So its a little more obscure than a classic 80s song, but its a hit in its own genre.

I had to assume this was the case but thanks for doing the research. It seems to meet the technical qualifications for "a song that many people will at least be familiar with and maybe even enjoy playing on several instruments".

I will work on singing this one in a big band crooners voice, in the style of "Richard Cheese and Lounge Against The Machine". Though maybe this trick only works when the song is slowed down.

• My spotlight predictions:
    Amon Amarth - "Twilight of the Thunder God"
    DragonForce - "Operation Ground and Pound"
    The Red Chord - "Hour of Rats"
  • calloycalloy Unsigned
    yucch
  • Yes!!!!! I never would have thought Rock Band would get Amon Amarth. This makes up for the two terrible weeks previously. This is so super awesome!
  • AMON AMARTH <3 <3 <3 Super excited doesn't actually qualify for this :# I may break my strum bar but it will be so worth it \m/ Thanks for listening guys!!!!
  • Looks like “Twilight of the Thunder God” is going to join the pile of unplayed spotlight songs along with “God Damn”. I like metal, but songs like these are unplayable for me at my current skill level in Rock Band.
  • jaystonepkjaystonepk Opening Act
    Our crew likely doesn't have a snowballs chance of promoting the following week so I'm not even sure this will get played. I'll reserve judgement for now.
  • Lord_MhoramLord_Mhoram Road Warrior
    I like Amon Amarth instrumentation, but I can't stand the vocal style, so it's a pass for me. Already has the rewind.