December 2017 DLC Prediction Thread: "Season's" Greetings

We're almost through another year of Rock Band.

You might say it's...The Final Countdown.

Let's end it strong folks!

Comments

• edited November 28
    12/7: Tens Week:
    - Church Bells - Carrie Underwood
    - Do I Wanna Know - Arctic Monkeys (Spotlight)
    - Sexy and I Know It - LMFAO

12/14: Mixed Singles Week (All Songs Challenge)
    - Kiwi - Harry Styles (Spotlight)
    - Alive/i> - Pearl Jam (Rewind)
    - Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover - Sophie B. Hawkins

12/21: U2 Essentials 02:
    - Beautiful Day
    - With Or Without You
    - Sweetest Thing
    - New Years Day
    - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
    - You're The Best Thing About Me

12/28: NYE 2018:
    - Kissing Strangers - DNCE feat. Nicki Minaj
    - It's Tricky - Run D.M.C
    - The Final Countdown - Europe (Rewind)

• Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    I'm beginning to think that the accidental leak means that we are never getting the track "Church Bells".

I PREDICT:
    4-6 new songs
    None from artists that have been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
    1 track that was released on Interscope Records
  • grumblevolcanogrumblevolcano Headliner
    edited November 28
    Ok, with this week confirmed to have When You Were Young, here's my December predictions:

12/7 - 10s
    Carrie Underwood - "Church Bells"
    The Wind and the Wave - "Grand Canyon"
    Halestorm - "Love Bites (So Do I)" (spotlight pass)

12/14 - Foo Fighters 05
    Big Me
    Everlong (rewind)
    Run (spotlight pass)

12/21 - VR singles
    Against the Current - "Running With the Wild Things"
    Band of Horses - "Casual Party"
    Twin Atlantic - "I Am Alive"
    The Starting Line - "Quitter"
    AudioDamn! - "Lights Out"

12/28 - New Years Eve 2017 Pack
    Europe - "The Final Countdown" (rewind)
    LMFAO - "Sexy and I Know It"
    Maroon 5 - "Maps"

I don't trust SIEE to get the last DLC of the year released this year so I think season 4 will start in January.

EDIT: On second thoughts, 2 country songs for the spotlight pass seems unlikely. Added in a 3rd 10s song which would act as the spotlight pass song.
  • Casual reminder that we're 75% through getting all the Rock Band VR songs in the DLC store:

Birds
    Casual Party
    Church Bells
    Grand Canyon
    I Am Alive
    Lights Out
    Maps
    Quitter
    Running With the Wild Things

Alive
    Everlong
    The Final Countdown
    Plush
    Suffragette City
    We Got the Beat

I wonder if Rivals will be getting some of those more obscure tracks as free DLC again like the first set of 4?
  • Hear's my predictions for December 2017 (Plus Spotlight Songs).

12/7 - 2010s
    - Carrie Underwood - Church Bells
    - Portugal. The Man - Feel It Still (Spotlight Pass)

Other Spotlight Songs: Birth In Reverse (St.Vincent), Shut Up and Dance (Walk The Moon)

12/14 - Coldplay Collection 02 (All Decades Week)
    - Birds
    - In My Place
    - Something Just Like This (Spotlight Pass)
    - Paradise
    - A Sky Full of Stars
    - Violet Hill

Other Spotlight Songs: All Right Now (Free), Dream Genie (Lightning Bolt)

12/21 - VR Singles
    - Against The Current - Running With The Wild Things
    - Audiodamn! - Lights Out
    - Band of Horses - Casual Party
    - The Starting Line - Quitter
    - Twin Atlantic - I Am Alive
    - The Wind and The Wave - Grand Canyon

12/28 - New Years 2018 Pack
    - Europe - The Final Countdown (Lego Rock Band Rewind)
    - Maroon 5 - Maps (Rock Band VR Song)
    - Skrillex ft. Sirah - Bangarang (Dropmix Song)
    edited November 28
    @Meat-Popsicle I think while we're still getting RBVR songs as DLC there's still a good chance that the 2 songs were just delayed because of the missions update and the large changes to Rivals meaning the delay being a lot longer than expected.
  • ^

I could accept that as the final DLC of 2017; Bangarang ties it all together :p
  • tnevaker said:

you guys are so cute with your large packs and 6-song week predictions.

Welcome to the Eternal Optimists sub-forum XD
  • kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act
    edited November 28

tnevaker said:

Welcome to the Eternal Optimists sub-forum XD
    Let me bring balance to the Force then. ;)

I'm going to predict a few (3) rewinds and a few (3) new songs that will not amaze.
  • MemoDLSGMemoDLSG Opening Act
    edited November 28
    tnevaker said:

I think more than one 6-song week is pushing it, but we had 3 or 2-song weeks almost all throughout 2016, but then we got the Aerosmith pack in December.

My prediction:

Dec 7 - 2010's
    Miike Snow - Genghis Khan (Spotlight)
    Coldplay - Birds
    Audiodamn! - Lights Out

Dec 14 - Random singles
    Young M.C. - Bust a Move (Spotlight)
    Maroon 5 - Maps
    The Starting Line - Quitter

Dec 21 - U2 Essentials 02
    With or Without You
    Beautiful Day
    Mysterious Ways
    New Year's Day
    Get Out of Your Own Way
    You're the Best Thing About Me

Dec 28 - New Year's themed songs
    Europe - The Final Countdown
    Band of Horses - Casual Party
    LMFAO - Sexy and I Know It

A bunch of songs off Dropmix/RBVR, except for the U2 pack, which is in line with both the big Aerosmith pack we got last year (in that it's a big pack from an artist we already had many songs from, but are also missing key hits), and U2 Essentials 01 (with the 2 songs from the new album).
  • I was considering predicting U2 for December 21st because of the new album coming out on Friday (the pack was going to be @MemoDLSG's pack but with Get Out of Your Own Way replaced with I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For) but went for the less known RBVR songs instead due to the other Rivals post-season DLC.
  • An Aerosmith, U2 or Van Halen 6-pack would be SO very welcome around the holidays.
    We can dream.
  • @TheMurals I predict RBVR will be finished by late March, 1 year seems reasonable.
  • @TheMurals I predict RBVR will be finished by late March, 1 year seems reasonable.

By that logic, DropMix's notables will bring us to next September.
    edited November 28
    @WoodenGlory Maybe? DropMix is an odd situation because of deck release dates, for example RB4 got Save a Horse (Ride a Cowboy) last week meanwhile DropMix gets it in 2018 (the Lucky and Moonlight decks release in 2018).

This tweet from the DropMix twitter account is helpful for tracking down the different decks.

• 7th
    I had a totally legit reason for predicting The Rolling Stones sometime this month but forgot it so I'll just toss it here. More realistically some 00's or 10's junk I have no interest in.

14th
    The Monterey Pop documentary is out on blu-ray that week so...
    Monterey Pack 01
    California Dreamin' by The Mama's & Papa's
    Ball and Chain by Janis Joplin
    Happy Jack by The Who

21st
    I was thinking what the Xmas DLC would be this year the other day and then Paradise City came on the radio. Plus that Jumanji...remake? reboot? sequel?...out on the 20th is called Welcome to the Jungle so we're clearly getting a Guns 'n Roses 12 pack. Plus I've got all this budgeted game money to spend because Steam seems to have forgotten what 75% off is so hopefully HMX is willing to take it.

28th
    Yeah, yeah, more U2.
    New Year's Day and...I dunno. Hopefully a bunch of stuff so only some of it will be disapointing. I want The Fly, Even Better Than the Real Thing and Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me so however big the pack has to be to get those.

31st bonus song
    Song of the year: Man's Not Hot by Big Shaq...or whatever does get voted song of the year by...whoever does that stuff anymore.
  • bonethug0108bonethug0108 Headliner
    edited November 28
    So we have the 10s week, a mystery week (included in the spotlight pass), Christmas week, and New Year's week.

Very curious what the mystery week will be. 10s week is likely to be a pop song or two (perhaps the leaked songs from a while back) with or without a rewind. New Year's is likely to be party style popish songs. Maybe Christmas is a big/huge (as in the artists, not number of songs) artist pack again (3-6 pack).

12/7- 10s week (2-4 of these; remaining new songs on RBVR are released with the next update as free songs)
    Wind and the Wave- Grand Canyon
    Carrie Underwood- Church Bells
    Coldplay- Birds
    Maroon 5- Maps

12/14- ?

12/21- Aerosmith 6 pack*
    Last Child (70s)
    Come Together (70s)
    What it Takes (90s)
    The Other Side (90s)
    Pink (Late 90s/early 2000s)
    Jaded (Late 90s/early 2000s)

12/28- Party Time Pack
    Europe- Final Countdown
    LMFAO- Sexy and I Know It
    Best Drop Mix party song

*no other 80s Aerosmith songs (aside from what we have) charted on the Hot 100.
  • MemoDLSGMemoDLSG Opening Act
    TheMurals said:

I wonder if Rivals will be getting some of those more obscure tracks as free DLC again like the first set of 4?

I doubt it. None of them are HMX/Boston-local bands, so while they might not be super-popular songs/bands, it's not against precedent to release such songs at full price (like the songs from Catfish and the Bottlemen, Blondfire, The Temper Trap, or The Shelters, also from RBVR and released at full price).

If anything, we might get some of the Dropmix rock songs for free, because it seems there *are* some that are HMX or Boston-local, or at least I can't find any info on them outside of Dropmix from a quick search, like Pinhole Cage - "Just About to Snap" and Warlords of the Old West - "Strychnine Baby".
    edited November 28
    I too think the remaining less known RBVR songs will be paid DLC. As for free songs in general, I'm thinking the next batch could maybe continue with what the 10th anniversary pack did. It being used as a way to bring over RBN songs while there's still entitlement issues with normal DLC.
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    Catfish and the Bottlemen and The Temper Trap are pretty famous bands imo, especially The Temper Trap even though we didn’t get their super famous song (Sweet Disposition)
    edited November 29
    Yeah some of these bands are not like the others. While some may not be widely popular or known, they are still "just big enough". Meanwhile others you'd have trouble finding on music services, wiki, no official videos, no charting songs on any chart (or extremely low charting), etc.
    MemoDLSG said:

None of them are HMX/Boston-local bands, so while they might not be super-popular songs/bands, it's not against precedent to release such songs at full price (like the songs from Catfish and the Bottlemen, Blondfire, The Temper Trap, or The Shelters, also from RBVR and released at full price).

That was never a requirement to be free. We have free songs that are neither Hmx nor Boston bands.

It's more so bands that aren't or are barely charting and the other stuff I mentioned.

Catfish, for instance, has 5 songs that charted on various US charts, even snagging a top 10 song on the Alt chart. While not the Hot 100, top 10 on a genre chart is still pretty good.

The Temper Trap has 3 songs on various US charts as well, and one of their singles even went Gold in the States.

The Shelters' Rebel Heart charted on the Alt chart.

Blondfire is a fairly new band signed to a major label (Warner Bros.) Those guys RARELY give songs away for free, even if it's for promotion.

Band of Horses is the last one not released (or leaked) that falls in line with those I just mentioned, so I can see that coming as paid dlc, but the other bands seem more borderline (one had two charting songs on a genre chart, but the song we're getting isn't a single; two of them are on sub labels to major labels; another song (or two?) we're getting (if we get them) aren't singles).
  • We're getting Twilight of the Thunder God as paid DLC which kind of makes debates about what chart data means about the potential of DLC being free meaningless. Look at the DLC post, while most DLC releases focus on success in the US and chart position, that song's writeup focuses on Europe.
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    I think the main differentiator is "Is the artist using HMX's platform to achieve exposure" or "Is the artist one that HMX pursued for customer satisfaction?". An artist like this has an established audience, even if 'charts' would never show it, and occasionally serving niche portions of its playerbase is something HMX tries to do.
    edited November 29

I think the main differentiator is "Is the artist using HMX's platform to achieve exposure" or "Is the artist one that HMX pursued for customer satisfaction?". An artist like this has an established audience, even if 'charts' would never show it, and occasionally serving niche portions of its playerbase is something HMX tries to do.

What thatmarkguy said. Amon Amarth is pretty damn well known in metal circles, while bands like AudioDamn! are virtual unknowns to everyone and not signed directly to majors.

The one band (aside from Band of Horses) that did have two charting songs on the Alt chart went with a non single for new song promotion, and the two that did chart were far from well known hits as it is.
  • I think the main differentiator is "Is the artist using HMX's platform to achieve exposure" or "Is the artist one that HMX pursued for customer satisfaction?". An artist like this has an established audience, even if 'charts' would never show it, and occasionally serving niche portions of its playerbase is something HMX tries to do.

What thatmarkguy said. Amon Amarth is pretty damn well known in metal circles, while bands like AudioDamn! are virtual unknowns to everyone and not signed directly to majors.

The one band (aside from Band of Horses) that did have two charting songs on the Alt chart went with a non single for new song promotion, and the two that did chart were far from well known hits as it is.
    And that's what motivates me as a Rock Band player: It's to discover new bands or songs that I might like in the future. It was thanks to this game and Guitar Hero that I've discovered bands like Franz Ferdinand, My Chemical Romance, Skid Row, Priestess, The Mars Volta, A Perfect Circle, Queensrÿche, Royal Blood, Coheed & Cambria, Silversun Pickups, Metric, & The Protomen.

In regards to AudioDamn!, I agree that the band is unknown prior to listening to their music at first. But I thought the song they had in Rock Band VR was AudioDamned good! (I guess I'm saying that because I like European Rock Music, as much as I like Classic Rock, Japanese Rock, and Disney Music). And hear's hoping that it comes as Rock Band 4 DLC before the next year.

But I'm fine with whatever comes this year.
    edited November 29
    Here's how I see it:

Coldplay, Maroon 5, Carrie Underwood - Massive artists, no chance of having free DLC.

Band of Horses, Against the Current, The Starting Line, Twin Atlantic - Albums or other singles did well enough on the charts that I don't think we'll get free DLC.

The Wind and the Wave - Paid DLC judging by earlier this year.

AudioDamn! - If the rest are paid, I really doubt we'll get free DLC.

edited November 29
    Could AudioDamn! pull a Legitimate Front? DLC at a reduced price because they know nobody would buy it at full price, with a charitable-proceeds angle making people even more likely to take the plunge?
  • @thatmarkguy There's an easy solution, put Lights Out at full price like the rest but it being a mid-season spotlight song. That would guarantee a lot of sales.
    Think we've already seen these past few weeks how disappointment with midseason spotlight songs makes people swear not to buy the next spotlight pass. It's one thing for it to be niche-audience fare (rational people will accept that inevitability) but putting a virtual unknown there would start a small rebellion.