DLC Discussion Thread: Don't Tip the Charts Over

edited December 12 in Rock Band
HMXOwl said:

DLC Week of 12/07: Rock the Charts Pack 01!

Rock music is alive and well. This week, we’re featuring 3 songs that rocked the charts in 2017!

“Run” is a single released this past summer, ahead of the Foo Fighter’s ninth studio album Concrete and Gold. It was a big release for the band as it satisfied intense anticipation from fans. It went to #1 on the Billboard Mainstream Rock and UK Rock and Metal charts. It now remains at the top of several global charts. A great swing spin on standard Foo Fighters fare, guitar changes between distorted lead riffs, rhythmic chord changes, and intense shredding through the song. The bass follows the guitar, playing some tough rhythms and grooves. The swung drums consistently switch between beats to keep you busy. Grohl’s vocals stretch from melodic singing to tempered screaming, showing off his range.

“The Way You Used To Do” is the lead single from Queens of the Stone Age’s new album Villains. The album and single were critically and commercially well received while topping charts across the globe. “The Way You Used To Do” is a modern rock song with California edge and the essence of ‘60s surf pop and blues. The song opens with syncopated guitar chords and the distorted main riff over hand-claps and bass drum kicks. Josh Homme’s vocals enter nonchalantly, and sit atop the chord changes. Bass booms in the second verse and adds to the syncopated rhythmic feel of the song. Guitar develops as the songs goes on, accentuating parts of the vocal melody and playing lead riffs. Drums keep everything upbeat following the lead riffs and accents.

The competition for the top slot on the Billboard Mainstream Rock chart was heated this summer. “Song #3”, the lead single from Stone Sour’s sixth studio album, Hydrograd, successfully hit the peak with a multi-week stay at #1. The song opens with vocals over guitar, then drums and bass kick in to set the tone. During the verses, guitar moves between palm muted power chords and distorted open chord strums and riffs. Vocals lead the way into the huge choruses, where the energy amps up.

Rock the Charts Pack 01 will be available for $5.49. Songs can be purchased individually for $1.99 each. The Rock Band Rivals Season 3 Spotlight Pass can be purchased for $13.49.

• Foo Fighters - "Run"
  • Queens of the Stone Age - "The Way You Used To Do" (Part of the Rock Band Rivals Season 3 Spotlight Pass)
  • Stone Sour - "Song #3"

* Please note that this week’s DLC tracks will be available for purchase on Thursday, December 7th.

Comments

• Wow, Grohl Band lives. Bout time guys.

And I'll have to cherry pick cause I got the pass; but hey, three more 2017 songs!
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    Now this is a fantastic modern rock week!
  • hiimSMAPhiimSMAP Road Warrior
    Not a week for me I’m afraid. There’s definitely Foo Fighters and QotSA songs I’d be interested in but not these particular ones
  • dinomandinoman Rising Star
    Nice
  • Very good pack!
  • kal_el_0724kal_el_0724 Opening Act
    Now if we could only get more Eagles of Death Metal.... Looking at you Miss Alissa. B)
  • Hmmm, never heard of any of these songs. But I do know these bands, and like some of their older songs. So I'll have to give a listen before buying.

It's cool idea to have a pack of 2017 songs though. And I'm sure people that listen to current rock stations will be happy, so good for them.
  • dinomandinoman Rising Star
    Funny... Earlier Chris Pratt was yelling "Run!" and now Foo Fighters as well...
  • TheStuddzTheStuddz Lil Rascal
    edited December 5
    Wow! No Portugal. The Man, yet I'm not disappointed in the least!

Not a big Stone Sour fan, but I've wanted "The Way You Used to Do" in RB since I first heard it (and would take a bunch more from Villains too). And the Foos? You can't go wrong. I'm just so excited that we're getting three brand new songs again.

Edit: Even the Stone Sour song sounds pretty good! Guess I'm all in this week. Thanks Harmonix.
  • What a great week, all of these songs are insta-buys!
  • Day 1 buy. Big thumbs up from me.
  • I like the return to modern rock. Would have preferred some newer rock bands, but I do like all of these.
    I'm not big on the Stone Sour track, but I Queens of the Stone Age track is so damn good and easily one of the top picks I would have wanted from them. Run is also a better than average Foo Fighter song. For mainstream 2017 rock, this pack really does deliver.
  • Definitely down for more Stone Sour wish we could have got another three pack of them
  • Also more Foo that's not Let it Die. At least it's not Sky is a Neighborhood. While musically it sounds good, those lyrics are pretty bad.
  • AbaddonAbaddon Road Warrior
    Don't know any of these, but I'm excited to check them out. Three new songs! Also excited about that.
  • WoodenGloryWoodenGlory Unsigned
    edited December 5

Also more Foo that's not Let it Die. At least it's not Sky is a Neighborhood. While musically it sounds good, those lyrics are pretty bad.

And...it'll come in the actual Foo Fighters pack this gen. With Let It Die :p
  • I was suprised that they chosed a QotSA, at first, over Run (And Feel It Still as well) for 2010's Week Spotlight, but then had a "Oh, That Song" moment when I listened to the QotSA song via the preview.

I've listened to The Way You Used to Do on a playlist with most of the songs of Today on Amazon Music, and immediately feel in loved with it. And I'm super happy that it's the Spotlight Song for this week (Even though, I would've been 10 times happier if Feel It Still was in that pack and was the Spotlight. But it's not, plus I like QotSA's music, so either way, I'm still happy that QotSA song is a Spotlight).

Weekly Spotlight Theme: Welcome to the New Age (Play songs from 2010s)
    - Hair Trigger (The Acro-Brats (Since Blood Red Rock was skipped for Spotlight Selection in favor for Light Up The Night repeat, This will be the first RBN Song that will be Spotlight this week))
    - Shut Up and Dance (Walk The Moon)
    - The Way You Used to Do (Queens of the Stone Age)

I hope what Harmonix has for next week (And the final week of Season 3) is a good one. :)
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited December 5
    What a rarity. A week with multiple new tracks, and the one in Spotlight is actually the one I was most likely to buy.

None of these are in my top ten of "the best of 2017 radio rock", but a three-new-rock-song week is still well above mode.
  • Also more Foo that's not Let it Die. At least it's not Sky is a Neighborhood. While musically it sounds good, those lyrics are pretty bad.

And...it'll come in the actual Foo Fighters pack this gen. With Let It Die :p
    If taking Sky is a Neighborhood gets me Let it Die, I'll buy it 10 times if I must.
  • My spotlight predictions are:
    Queens of the Stone Age - "The Way You Used to Do"
    St. Vincent - "Birth in Reverse"
    Slipknot - "The Devil in I"
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    2017 Modern Rock Hits = exactly what I would hope for and expect for Rock Band DLC. Fantastic.
    Even better if they all use full stems, fingers crossed.
    edited December 5

2017 Modern Rock Hits = exactly what I would hope for and expect for Rock Band DLC. Fantastic.
    Even better if they all use full stems, fingers crossed.

The mix of the Way We Used to sounds much different than the mp3, so within reasonable certainty the spotlight song has stems.
  • Run!!!!!
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited December 5
    I keep requesting "Run Like Hell", "Run for Cover", "Run Away With Me", "Run To You"... I think their request form parser might be broken.

"Look, 4 more votes for 'Run'!"
  • Caught me off guard. I was expecting pop this week. I'm ecstatic.
  • I keep requesting "Run Like Hell", "Run for Cover", "Run Away With Me", "Run To You"... I think their request form parser might be broken.

Meanwhile Roll to Me...

*tumbleweeds*
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith

I keep requesting "Run Like Hell", "Run for Cover", "Run Away With Me", "Run To You"... I think their request form parser might be broken.

Meanwhile Roll to Me...

*tumbleweeds*
    Sorry, man. The wrong time, the wrong situation.
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited December 5
    This pack is meh for me. BUT, with that said I will support it because I’m loving three new songs!
    ;)