Do you think the way vocals are scored needs to be changed?

edited December 7 in Rock Band
Given that my previous poll generated some discussion, I figured why not engage on another topic? Please discuss specific changes you would like to see made if you have any suggestions.

Do you think the way vocals are scored needs to be changed? 35 votes

The vocal scoring system needs a complete overhaul.
2%
tragedy719 1 vote
The vocal scoring system needs some changes.
17%
ekffazritzJVKalypsoIamtheplaguebdd74sny 6 votes
The vocal scoring system needs some minor tweaks.
2%
zorbak00 1 vote
The vocal scoring system is fine the way it is.
71%
kanerulesLoopyChewtdc002Desvergerkal_el_0724ZigZag2005firedoom666twistedoakLord_MhoramLeCH24WoodenGloryhiimSMAPDangimarockerJadioualbert_24MCSMeisterGLaDOSTheMuralsMusashidjb5f1 25 votes
The vocal scoring system needs to be removed.
0%
Vocals need to be removed. (I only put this here for posterity, :P)
2%
uppyb0t 1 vote
I don't care about the vocal scoring system one way or another.
2%
LordFlatus 1 vote

Comments

• edited December 7
    The vocal scoring system needs some changes.
    I was thinking about this topic because I recently have starting doing the whole Rivals rigmarole and have been doing some vocals for our crew's spotlight scores. It seems to me that the way scoring can be manipulated by not singing, then activating overdrive and getting the rest of the phrase is kind of wonky. Beyond that though, I've always felt the vocal scoring method was a little lackluster compared to the guitar/bass and drums methods which I feel are much more accurate.

I started trying to come up with a system that was more accurate for the score chasers and fixed the scoring manipulation issues. Not only that though, more importantly, I wanted whatever I came up with to not negatively impact the majority of more casual players who don't look twice at their score after singing a song. This is what I came up with:

First, the way to retain combo remains the same (filling up the multiplier circle will keep your combo). This ensures that casual players aren't negatively impacted by the score related changes that come next. What I think is the case is that most non-competitive players look at, for confirmation on whether they did well after a song (if they look at anything), the percentage/star rating. These measures would remain unchanged in my system as long as the combo retaining process remains the same.

Second, the actual score given for each measure is based on how accurately the each vocal segment (not phrase) is sung. This could displayed to the player by adding another circle next to the combo circle that only fills up completely if the segment is sung with perfect accuracy. Points would essentially be doled out based on how much they can fill the circle. This process could also be hidden if Harmonix preferred not to add another graphic to the screen.

This would fix the ESF manipulation because it would no longer matter if you activated overdrive in the middle of phrase, because you already received the points before activation. On the plus side, for the score chasers, it would still offer a new (but more fair) way, to compete for the best score on the leaderboards (because now to get optimal, you'd have to sing every segment perfectly, not just FC the song and manipulate overdrive correctly). This is already what you have to do for guitar/bass and drums so I feel it's fair.

Lastly, change it so overdrive can be activated any time via the controller. This change is not necessary (in my opinion) like the previous one, but given that it is now possible to activate OD via controller in the OD spaces, I feel like it's fair to allow it to be activated whenever like guitar/bass can (and keyboards used to). This shouldn't cause any major problems as Harmonix should be able to implement the anti-squeezing fixes they came up with (and if the same exact fixes wouldn't work, I'm sure they could figure another anti-squeezing fix out). Additionally, since the ESF manipulation was also fixed by the previous change, that wouldn't be a problem for this change either.

I really tried to make sure the changes here wouldn't negatively impact any group of players (except the score manipulators). The one major downside would be that it would require yet another leaderboard wipe, but I feel like that needs to happen anyway because of the manipulation that happens right now. I feel like these changes would only further invigorate the score chasing community by allowing the to fairly compete on actual vocal merits rather than button pushing/timing ability. I mean just imagine, to get optimal on "More Than a Feeling", you would have to be able to hold that final note the whole time! You'd still be able to FC the song no problem, but to get optimal, tough cookies.
  • GraffinGraffin Rising Star
    It would be awesome if playing harmonies that it showed other player's scores, but my one and only major gripe with the vocals system is any audio adjustment requires you to pause the game, navigate through layers of menus and adjust sliders blindly and only hearing the difference when you unpause.

Whereas, in the older RB titles all of the audio options could be adjusted on the fly just by using the controller. Far more simple, intuitive and less disruptive to gameplay.
  • The vocal scoring system is fine the way it is.
    If each vocal segment was scored instead of phrases, I would quit Rock Band. See Guitar Hero vocals for that abhorrent method of scoring.

I think the current system is fine. If I were to tweak, I would negate talkies (no scoring for non singing parts), and eliminate tambourines. Only singing sections would score for vocals.

As for the windows, I like the activation windows, but some would need to be tweaked (i.e. songs that gather 5 phrases before a window or make it impossible to use overdrive for long periods of time). As someone who voxtars, I can't always use the controller for activations and need a verbal way to start overdrive.

I would imagine if you could activate at any point, some new way of abusing that would come about and be the new glitch for people to use.

Bottom line, not enough people care about vocals to significantly change it anyways. Harmonix always goes by who it affects the most, and vocals is usually on the bottom for fixing issues.

By the way, there is a simple fix without much fuss to fix ESF's if they are considered shady..... DONT PUT ACTIVATIONS IN THE MIDDLE OF PHRASES. End squeezes? Eliminated. If Harmonix truly hated this method of scoring, that's the fix that should be done. I personally don't mind esf's and they truly take skill to do, so I don't have a problem with them. If you are score chasing, you aren't performing the song anyways. This isn't karaoke if you are score chasing.
    @twistedoak
    I wouldn't negate talkies. That would render quite a few songs pointless.
    Tambourines are quite annoying though.

• twistedoaktwistedoak Unsigned
    edited December 7
    I still have nightmares of talkies from rockband 1 and 2. Broken crap talkies ruining the song for you. There's only so many ways you can say "what is it" and "oh" for them to work...I still hate singing The Pixies and Cherry Bomb simply because of broken talkies from the past.

They are still broken in effect. Nothing is worse than getting that stupid glitch for the one talky at the end of the song not working and ruining your fc. When I do a setlist of vocal songs, every 5th song or so has glitched talkies. I have to skip the song and do it later. Talkies are the bane of my singing experience in Rock Band. Only slightly worse is tambourines. Don't get me started on them.

The beatles Rock Band had it perfect. No talky counted in that engine. Beautiful. Now you can Brutal FC a song on vocals that are solely talkies. That's really cheap. It would be like Brutal FC'ing a song on drums for simply holding the sticks in your hand and waving them around.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star

Now you can Brutal FC a song on vocals that are solely talkies. That's really cheap. It would be like Brutal FC'ing a song on drums for simply holding the sticks in your hand and waving them around. It's like playing Polly on drums to get a Brutal FC.

ftfy

Now you can Brutal FC a song on vocals that are solely talkies. That's really cheap. It would be like Brutal FC'ing a song on drums for simply holding the sticks in your hand and waving them around. It's like playing Polly on drums to get a Brutal FC.

ftfy
    I have failed to FC that song because I got distracted...

ftfy
    I think my point was made. Cheap songs that take no skill can be brutal fc'ed. That's talkies for you.
  • MCSMeisterMCSMeister Road Warrior
    edited December 8

Not even going to lie, it took me a solid year after getting Rock Band 4 before realizing that you could hit tambourine notes by pressing X on the PlayStation controller.

Made my life MUCH easier.
  • Tambourines are quite annoying though.

Not even going to lie, it took me a solid year after getting Rock Band 4 before realizing that you could hit tambourine notes by pressing X on the PlayStation controller.

Yeah, being able to press a button for the tambourine notes makes it much easier as the microphones don't seem sensitive enough to pick up the other way. That said, songs would be way more fun without the tambourine notes especially In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.
    edited December 8

Yeah, being able to press a button for the tambourine notes makes it much easier as the microphones don't seem sensitive enough to pick up the other way. That said, songs would be way more fun without the tambourine notes especially In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.
    Or ttfaf, which is arguably the hardest tambourine section in Rock Band.

To get you through those sections, try to imagine the actual artists whip out a tambourine and start going to town. I do that with James Hetfield on every Metallica song and crack up laughing.

Seconded. After a while, it gets VERY tricky to focus on tambourine hits going as fast as in TTFAF.
  • LeCH24LeCH24 Opening Act
    "It seems to me that the way scoring can be manipulated by not singing, then activating overdrive and getting the rest of the phrase is kind of wonky."

It's called being tactical.

Tactics are things you tend to find in games.

That said, songs would be way more fun without the tambourine notes especially In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.

Doing nothing is more fun that doing something? Interesting...

Yeah, being able to press a button for the tambourine notes makes it much easier as the microphones don't seem sensitive enough to pick up the other way.

I have my mics on mic stands and then clap in front of them for the percussion hits. I find that the funnest method. Bashing the crap out of the mic like the game tells you to do is a good way to need a new mic.

I just wish HMX would chart more actual rhythms or poly-rhythms into it instead of just straight quarter notes, which is how the majority of songs do it.
  • The vocal scoring system needs some changes.
    This is why I like doing polls. It seems that the majority disagree with me and that's fair. I'd rather Harmonix not upset the fanbase than cater to my Twisted Dark Beautiful Fantasies so this is good to know! :)
    edited December 13

That said, songs would be way more fun without the tambourine notes especially In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.

Doing nothing is more fun that doing something? Interesting...
    Yes. When it comes to tambourine sections, hell yes.

You can dance around to the music, do your own tambourine section (with a real tambourine or just clap your hands) if that's your thing, harass the other people playing, go get a drink, find groupies during the solo, send a text to friends, check out discord or the Harmonix forums, the possibilities are endless!

Not every dead space in a song needs to be filled with something to do. Give me a countdown and see how much I can get done at my house!

I would liken it to playing guitar and/or bass and every time you don't have a guitar or bass part, a special section comes up where you have to tap the back of your guitar in rhythm to these little circles that show up. Or playing drums and pressing the A button in the middle of your drums every time there is a section without drums. Why? When I sing, I want to sing, not press the A button in rhythm to someone's tambourine section that probably wasn't in the original song in the first place.