LiveHomeVideo's RB4 Tiers Thread 2018 Edition! (Back From Hiatus!)

Comments

• N.E.R.D. - Lapdance (from In Search Of..., 2001)
  • Actually, yes, "What I See" was indeed released as a single! It reached #25 on the top rock charts at the time, but the song never broke the overall top 100.

It may be redundant at this point, but thanks again for the tier, I can't say there's anything I'd change ^^

I'll actually give you a break from Pink World for a bit, but only because the greatest musical event of the 21st century, and indeed, perhaps, the entire millennium dropped recently, and in order to preserve it for posterity, I will suggest it and therefore engrain it in this thread for it to be viewed by the wandering eyes of some future peoples.

I am, of course, talking about FlyingKitty's "Despacito 2".
  • Radiohead97Radiohead97 Rising Star
    I would've pushed for Let's Hurt Tonight for maybe a low 5, but I'm happy with the way you tiered it.

My next request is a song that people either love or people hate, from an album that people either love or hate.

Phil Collins - "Sussudio"
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited July 10
    EDIT: This was meant for @NightmareLyre 's "Unlikely 3-Packs" thread, whoopsie daisy.
  • I'm so hyped for Wacken this year. Nightwish are among the bands playing (yes, even though I'm seeing them at Bloodstock about a week later, along with a few others...) and last time they played Wacken, this happened. It was great. Wish I'd been there.

But yeah, I'd like to request Ghost Love Score (Live) from the Showtime, Storytime DVD, please. :smile:
  • Hope things are going good, LHV. here's a song i'm curious about, surely a classic/actually feels more dated than it already is at this point

Britney Spears - Toxic (from In the Zone, 2003)
  • Razor_SharkRazor_Shark Opening Act
    King's X -- Rocket Ship(have I requested this?)

If I have requested it then King's X -- Don't Care
  • MCSMeisterMCSMeister Road Warrior

Yup, you did.
  • edited July 13
    We know what will be the bass tier, but how about the rest?

Primus - Tommy the Cat

I was told by @MCSMeister that you already did a tier for this, let me change it to:

Primus - John the Fisherman
  • Razor_SharkRazor_Shark Opening Act

Yup, you did.
    Fair enough.

Stewart Copeland -- Dr. Shemp

Note that if I tiered a song in a previous thread, I'll still tier it here. Because I'm generous (and like both songs anyways) I'll tier both Primus songs.
    edited July 18
    Britney Spears – Toxic

This song used to be a guilty pleasure of mine, but listening to it again, I kinda realize that I really love the instrumental, but really don't like the vocals. I don't like the use of the psuedo-falsetto-like singing here, it's a bit more annoying than I remembered it being. That said, I'd probably still get it if it were DLC, just because it sounds like it'd be fun on guitar and bass. I imagine the main riff would periodically go on guitar when there wasn't acoustic guitar chords going on, so thinking it'd be a four-dotter on guitar. Bass is a bit more active than I remembered, so thinking 3 dots there. As for drums, as far as I could tell they were very basic, with no fills or fast kicks or anything, so it gets the lowest tier. Vocals I'm sort of torn on, but went with five dots, since while most of the vocal melodies aren't that hard, there's the octave jumping in the choruses, as well as some high notes throughout.

Stewart Copeland – Dr. Shemp

That was higher tiered than expected! :p I've not played the Spyro games (never had a PS1, in fact my first Playstation console was a PS4), but now I kinda want to just to hear the soundtrack. Good thing that remastered version is coming :p As for tiers, the keyboard solo is pretty much the reason why guitar is so high tiered, while bass sounds like it has some fast movement throughout. Drums also sound breakbeat-esque at times, thus the high tier for it as well.

Primus – Tommy the Cat

I decided to re-tier this, not only because I like the song, but because my old tier is actually really bad. I was under the impression that the vocals in the chorus would be pitched, and now I'm not really sure they'd do that (at least, if it were charted properly. On the other hand with how “Redneck” by Lamb of God was charted, I guess it's not 100% out of the question to chart things that should not be pitched as pitched. But I think I'll stick to how I'd personally chart the vocals). As thus, the vocals are going from Devils to 0-dot. Guitar has some pretty furious solos in there, so thinking devils, while bass needs no explanation as to it's devil tier. I'm kinda torn on drums, but I'm thinking five dots there, since while there's a lot ghost hits and such, the actual patterns themselves don't get Mastodon complex or anything, and I imagine a lot of the double-bass stuff would be reduced. Though I can see the case for either 5-dot or devil tier, so if you want I can update the tier to be devils on drums as well.

Primus – John the Fisherman

This one's also a classic, kinda surprised we haven't seen it yet considering it's in GH2. As for tiers, I don't think it'd be quite as high tiered as Tommy the Cat, say, but would still be pretty challenging on bass and drums. While bass never goes really fast, there's a lot of chords throughout, so thinking it'd still be five dots. Drums also has a lot of really fast fills, but they're spread out enough for it to be five dots and not devils. As for guitar, while there's still some challenging bits, I don't think it'd be as hard as bass, and also taking into account how guitar tiers differ in general to bass tiers, and I can see this being four dots. Vocals has a very small range, so thinking 1 dot here.
  • WingsOfSteelWingsOfSteel Headliner
    Pulp - Common People
  • Radiohead97Radiohead97 Rising Star

On the one hand, it feels like a retread of Land of Confusion.

Technically, No Jacket Required came out a year before Invisible Touch so Land of Confusion is kind of a retread of Sussudio. I imagine guitar and bass would be high up.

My next request is another song off of the Baby Driver soundtrack, one I bet you're familiar with.

Queen - "Brighton Rock"
  • Proghead119Proghead119 Unsigned
    edited July 21
    That's about the tiers I expected for it. That being said, ambient parts tended to happen a lot in some of Porcupine Tree's early material. Just figured "Not Beautiful Anymore (Live)" felt like one which would be a bit unorthodox to tier.

Another tricky one to tier would be..

Porcupine Tree - "Even Less (Live)" [Octane Twisted, 2012 (1999)]; taken from the band's final show in December 2010.

This one's also (at least the original studio version) the first song on the album I would've had you review before you shut down your last album tiering thread. So I might just give that album out slowly...piece by piece.
  • NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star
    Emanuel - Search & Destroy (Tony Hawk's American Wasteland, 2005)
  • Yes you did, LiveHome, yes you did :tongue:

Thanks as always! And now, back to our usually scheduled programming - "To Live Forever (Pt. 2)/Power" (which would be from 14:10 to 19:12 in the video)
  • MCSMeisterMCSMeister Road Warrior
    edited July 21
    Cool tier for this one! Yeah if anything I had a feeling you'd enjoy the darker tone of the verses, but I understand your complaints about the chorus. I don't mind the chorus too much personally as I think it's kind of a nice, melancholy release of sorts, but it's definitely one of their more subdued songs and wouldn't be for those who are a fan of their more upbeat stuff. Drums being devils is a given; the verses and choruses are both unrelenting and I'd really love to see how the verses would be charted on drums. I honestly envisioned guitar and bass being zero dots or one dot, especially since I don't think there'd be anything to play on guitar throughout the verses, and similarly I think there'd be some gaps without bass (plus, outside of the verses, bass is just long sustains from what I can discern). Though seeing as how you also bumped Loyal Like Sid & Nancy's guitar to 3 because of a synth solo at the end, that makes perfect sense, at least.

So, even though I won't be requesting Foster the People for a bit, this next request is actually somewhat related to them. I mentioned to you on Discord a while back that before I saw them live last year, a band I had never heard of opened for them, and I had no idea they were having an opening act in the first place. Their set was very raw and noisy and I honestly didn't expect them to be that good when I checked out their studio work, but they actually aren't too bad! Later I found out that their lead singer, Clementine Creevy, does the sung vocals on Death Grips' "Giving Bad People Good Ideas". This is that band.

Cherry Glazerr - "Had Ten Dollaz" (from Had Ten Dollaz single, 2014)

With that in mind, I'm really curious what you'll think of this :p