LiveHomeVideo's RB4 Tiers Thread 2018 Edition! (On a Small Hiatus)

LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
So after over a year of relaxation, I decided I wanted to try yet again to make Rock Band 4 tiers, upon request! Post whatever song you'd like to see me predict possible tiers for, and I'll make a tier picture of it, as well as a short summary of how I liked the song. Here are a few things to keep in mind:
  • I am using a DIY tier template, as opposed to the online one. This allows me to make tier pictures that look like this.
  • As implied by the picture above, this means I'll be following RB4 rules for these tiers. That means no keys, and if there are keyboard leads, or an overall lack of guitar, expect to see predictions involving alt-charting. I will explain how I would alt-chart the song when I write about it.
  • One song per request, up to 15 minutes in length. I am making these pictures manually, and as such it takes more time to do every tier. I also don't want to get burnt out like I always do, so best I keep the song limit and time limit low.
  • I will do tiers maybe once a week-ish. I may do more or less, depending on how busy my week is, but I can't do these as often as I used to.
  • As I've been doing in past attempts in recent years, I'll impose a content advisory. I'm okay with most anything, except for things that are violently bigoted in some way, or real gore in the album art. If the album art has nudity, etc., I'll have to censor it for the tier thread, because I don't wanna get banned. :p
Tiers will be posted below!

A

Absu ft. King Diamond – Stone of Destiny (...for Magh Slécht and Ard Righ)
Adam and the Ants - Stand and Deliver
Aerosmith – Remember (Walking In the Sand)
Alien Ant Farm - S.S. Recognize
Alien Breed - Crackling

B

Backstreet Boys - Larger Than Life
Bad Astronaut – Logan's Run
Bad Ronald - All a Dream
Badlands - Winter's Call
The Band – The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down (Live)
Bearstronaut - Tucson
Bearstronaut - Working Nights
Ben Folds ft. Regina Spektor - You Don't Know Me
Bob Dylan - Forever Young (Continued)
Bolt Thrower - No Guts, No Glory
Boyinaband ft. Veela - Two Skins
Boy Hits Car - Man Without Skin

C

Chip Skylark - My Shiny Teeth and Me
The Cult - Fire Woman

D

Dave Matthews Band - Tripping Billies
David Bowie - The Width of a Circle
Dead Kennedys - Stars and Stripes of Corruption
Deftones - Elite
Dislocated Styles - Unified

E

Eddie Murphy ft. Rick James - Party All the Time
Elvis Costello - Brilliant Mistake
Emilie Autumn - Dead Is the New Alive (Manipulator Mix by Dope Stars Inc.)
Epica – Beyond the Matrix
The Explosion - Here I Am

F

Fair to Midland – Amarillo Sleeps on My Pillow
Fair to Midland – Coppertank Island
Fair to Midland - Rikki Tikki Tavi
Fever the Ghost - Source
Foster the People - Loyal Like Sid & Nancy
Foster the People - Pay the Man
fun. - All the Pretty Girls

G

George Harrison - Art of Dying
Gerard Way - Brother

H

HAIM - Little of Your Love
Hanson - MMMBop
Helmet - Crashing Foreign Cars
Hemina - Moonlight Bride

I

IDestroy - Lemons
Imogen Heap - Goodnight and Go
Incubus - Anna Molly

J

Jona Lewie – You'll Always Find Me in the Kitchen at Parties
Jon Spencer Blues Explosion - Bellbottoms

K

K.K. Slider vs Ice Cube - K.K. Good Day
Kansas - Down the Road
Kari Bremnes – Mitt Hjerte Hamrer og Hamrer
Killing Joke - Eighties
King's X - Rocket Ship
Kirin J. Callinan - Big Enough (ft. Alex Cameron)
KIX - Body Talk
KIX - Don't Close Your Eyes
KIX - Midnite Dynamite

L

Led Zeppelin - Achilles Last Stand
Lucius - Almighty Gosh

M

Manic Street Preachers - La Tristesse Durera (Scream to a Sigh)
Ministry – (Every Day Is) Halloween
The Mothers of Invention - Call Any Vegetable
Mägo de Oz – El Pacto
Myrkur - Ulvinde

N

Neko Case - Hold On, Hold On
Neon Indian - Polish Girl

O

Oathbreaker - Being Able to Feel Nothing

Comments

• LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    Beep Beep, this spot is taken!
    Last reserved post for now, the spam police are after me :p
  • MCSMeisterMCSMeister Road Warrior
    Awesome, it's great to see you return to the tiering scene after a year and a half! I'm much looking forward to how this thread turns out :) Even though the number of songs per request has diminished, I hope that this can, in turn, make tiering less of a chore and help you enjoy it a little more without becoming burnt out. After all, your 3rd tier thread was only one song at a time, and that one ended up being the longest-lasting of your tier threads. Here's to the 6th edition! :p

Well, in celebration of me finishing Bearstronaut's Telecoast album last night, I'll introduce you to one of my favorites on the album that really impressed me, and even had me a little taken aback. Looking forward to seeing what you think!

Bearstronaut - "Tucson" (from Telecoast, 2016)
  • Welcome back to tiering! I'll start with...

SR-71 - "Right Now" (from Now You See Inside, 2000)
  • I'm gonna request a personal favorite of mine:

Peter Schilling - "Major Tom (Coming Home)" (from Error in the System, 1982 [the English version, not the German one])
  • I know I have a tier thread, but I'm curious to see what you think of some songs I wanted to do on my own. I'll start off with a song from Fun's first album...

Fun. - All the Pretty Girls
  • Huh, five dots on guitar? I was expecting it to be a low-mid 4, but alright. Next up...

Bad Astronaut - "Logan's Run" (from Acrophobe, 2001)
    Interesting, because I thought "Tucson" was fairly different than the safe indie sound of "Shadow" (though that's not discrediting it at all). This one is so much more grandiose, and those explosive instrumental breaks really sold it for me on the first listen. I guess I can see the "Shadow" similarity in the hi-hat-centric drum beat during those breaks, but that's about it. Drums are obviously the highlight here and sound like an absolute blast, with several different beats and fills thrown in to keep things varied. It's probably borderline devils, but not quite there. I will say, there does sound like a gap without guitar in the first verse (when the descending riff isn't playing), and I could maybe see some of the background synths being charted there, but it would be very minor if so. Great tier, and I'm glad you appreciated it!

Keeping up the theme of free Rivals artists I've been listening to lately, I'll give you a Ruby Rose Fox song, which is probably among my favorites in her entire discography. I actually think this would be more fun than "Pain Killer" to a degree, especially on bass, even if it's not one of her most upbeat songs.

Ruby Rose Fox - "Bury the Body" (from Domestic, 2016)

I'll probably request some different stuff after this, but I do want to return to both Bearstronaut and Ruby Rose Fox requests in the future. This is just a way to test the waters and see how you like another song by each of them. Expect more requests from them in the future! :)

Huh, five dots on guitar? I was expecting it to be a low-mid 4, but alright.

It woulda been, it it weren't for the end of the solo, which would be about on par with that S.O.M.P. song HMX released, in terms of intensity, though wouldn't last as long, so five dots will do.

Interesting, because I thought "Tucson" was fairly different than the safe indie sound of "Shadow" (though that's not discrediting it at all). This one is so much more grandiose, and those explosive instrumental breaks really sold it for me on the first listen. I guess I can see the "Shadow" similarity in the hi-hat-centric drum beat during those breaks, but that's about it. Drums are obviously the highlight here and sound like an absolute blast, with several different beats and fills thrown in to keep things varied. It's probably borderline devils, but not quite there. I will say, there does sound like a gap without guitar in the first verse (when the descending riff isn't playing), and I could maybe see some of the background synths being charted there, but it would be very minor if so. Great tier, and I'm glad you appreciated it!

Thanks, and with the first verse on guitar, I did hear a faint guitar doing some strumming in the background, which I imagine would be brought up into the mix if it were on Rock Band. Thanks for the feedback, though, and glad you're enjoying the thread! :)
  • I understand if you didn't like the Fun song. It's not for everyone. I thought the harmonies would be fun to do in RB.

Anyway, my next request was originally sent to TuleRune as one of the last requests before he vanished.

Aerosmith - "Remember (Walking in the Sand)"
  • I would like to request Epica's "Beyond the Matrix", from the album The Quantum Enigma.
  • Really cool to hear you've been a long-time fan of Major Tom! I've been a sucker for synth-heavy new wave for as long as I can recall, and that song is probably one of the best in terms of lyrical subject material. Pretty fair tiers all around - nothing I can really complain about.

My next request is perhaps a bit more obscure: Phantom Blue - "Why Call It Love?" (from Phantom Blue, 1989). A song I believe is horribly overlooked from an overlooked band that was produced by none other than Marty Friedman of Megadeth.
  • Proto-Kaw - Occasion of Your Honest Dreaming
  • Fair To Midland -- Coppertank Island
    edited December 2017
    Sorry it took so long, but Christmastime here in Norway is hella busy :p Here are the requests for @JimmyLethal , @MCSMeister , @Radiohead97 , @Vexus , @coolkat , @WingsOfSteel and @Razor_Shark !

Bad Astronaut – Logan's Run

This would be really fun on Rock Band, I feel, and is a pretty fun song in general. Drums are pretty hectic throughout, especially in the beginning. Bass is pretty active, too, though not as difficult as drums, so I think five dots will do. Guitar seemed to be a solid four-dot throughout, and whether or not they would chart the synth solo to guitar, I don't think it'd effect the tier all that much. Vocals seemed the easiest of the bunch, though they also sounded fun.

Ruby Rose Fox – Bury the Body

Sorry to say, but I still don't think I'm into Ruby Rose Fox entirely. This just seems to not be my cup of tea, is all. She's a talented vocalist, but this sort of production isn't really what I look for in a song. That said, it does sound like it'd be fun to play, especially on drums and bass. I've also always felt the Ruby Rose Fox songs were undertiered on vocals in general, and I feel this could be compared to Pain Killer in terms of vocal range, so I think devil tier is fitting,

Aerosmith – Remember (Walking In the Sand)

This song's alright, like the mixing it up between ballad Aerosmith and bluesy Aerosmith. This would be a fun song to see in Rock Band, especially on guitar and vocals. I doubt there'd be any alt-charting here, since guitar is much more prominent in the mix than piano.

Epica – Beyond the Matrix

I must make a correction, according to what I could find online, this song appears on the 2016 album “The Holographic Principle,” not on “The Quantum Enigma”. This song is pretty cool, and would love to see it on Rock Band! I feel the choir vocals would probably drive the vocal tier really high. I'm thinking during the quiet bridge, the piano would be alt-charted to guitar, though the guitar solo is what drives it up to the devil tier. Drums also have some fast kicks, as well as some slower kicks that I don't think would be reduced, but would be fast enough to warrant perhaps an early devil tier as well, leaving the only instrument not devil-tier being bass, which outside of the heavy bridge doesn't seem as complex as guitar.

Phantom Blue – Why Call It Love?

As someone who isn't the biggest fan of 80's glam metal, I do think this is a lot better than a lot of what I've heard of the genre. That said, the production seems a bit tinny to me (essentially, the bass frequencies are rather buried), which isn't too big an issue, but I think I'd enjoy it better if it had a bit more of a bass boost. As-is it's pretty alright, though. I feel it'd be a pretty fun warming up sort of song for most of the band, with some tricky patterns in the guitar tier bringing it higher than the rest.

Proto-Kaw – Occasion of Your Honest Dreaming

When I looked up this song, the album it's on, etc., I found that it was mid-2000's prog rock from members of Kansas. With the album art of a frickin' buffalo on fire, I was expecting some hard-rocking prog rock. And then I listened, and... it was a bit softer than expected. :p Song is alright, if a bit forgettable. Sounds like it'd be rather fun on guitar, I'm thinking the chart would be similar to Santana's “Smooth” with a bit more alt-charting. I imagine it'd be rather annoying on drums, though, due to the constant ride cymbals throughout.

Fair to Midland – Coppertank Island

This song is great, and I need to hear more of this band! Love how it sort of feels like early Devin Townsend Project, but also has an alt-metal bend to it (also dat keys :p ) I do think the lead synth would be alt-charted to guitar, but only during parts with no guitar, thus why it isn't devil-tiered on guitar. I feel it'd be a pretty fun challenge on everything.
  • My mistake on the album!

Can't say I disagree much with your analysis - for my song list I put it as devils on everything but guitar. I chalk that down to two things: I wouldn't have alt-charted anything (meaning that the guitarist would get a brief bit of respite before the heavy bridge), and my tierings would have been relative to the other 90 songs on the list. I don't see there being 13 songs harder than it in my list on bass, but I do see at least 13 being harder on guitar. Bass has a bit more work in the verses too, which justifies the two instruments being about even to me.

Nothing to disagree with on vocals or on drums - even without the choir, Simone's leads alone would have put it in devils to me! Maybe that's just me though.

I just wish we had gotten more symphonic metal/rock during the RB3 era. I mean, we got Amaranthe by Nightwish and I suppose you could stretch as far as counting Evanescence 02 and Paradise by the Dashboard Light by Meatloaf, but that's about it (unless I'm missing stuff from RBN - which I probably am).

I'm wittering though. Thanks for the tier, and may I request "Two Skin" by Boyinaband and Veela?
    Vexus said:

I just wish we had gotten more symphonic metal/rock during the RB3 era. I mean, we got Amaranthe by Nightwish and I suppose you could stretch as far as counting Evanescence 02 and Paradise by the Dashboard Light by Meatloaf, but that's about it (unless I'm missing stuff from RBN - which I probably am).

There's actually quite a bit of symphonic metal on the RBN! A band called Amberian Dawn have a lot of songs on there, and I highly recommend you check out the band! There's also some Pythia, Ayreon, Devin Townsend, and even some Sonata Arctica.
  • I'll make my first request on this new thread made by @LiveHomeVideo.

- Worshipper - Step Behind (A cool song from my favorite band from the December 2016 Update patch).
    edited December 2017
    Fair enough that you weren't into the Ruby Rose Fox song I chose. As I said, I do plan on requesting more from her in the future, so hopefully that was just bad song choice and you can eventually find something you like more from her. The tier looks about right - I do agree that "Pain Killer" is probably warranting of devils on vocals, though I've familiarized myself with it enough to the point that it's an easy FC. The same argument could probably be made for "Skydiver" to an extent. Anyway, this is a really bass-driven song from what I can tell, with guitar actually taking more of a backseat. Personally, I would have put guitar at a 0 or 1 dot, because it really doesn't sound like much is going on in that department (especially during the verses).

My next request will be one of the last songs I requested on your last tiering thread that was left untiered, as you closed it not long after. Conveniently, the other two songs I requested in that post I already had tiered by GameMaster at the time and I just wanted to see how you'd tier them. This was the only "new" request in that post, so to speak. I'll get back to new stuff after this quick carryover request!

Ben Folds - "You Don't Know Me" (feat. Regina Spektor) (from Way to Normal, 2008)

I had you tier "Rockin' the Suburbs" in your last thread, but this one is drastically different in comparison. I'd imagine the majority of the guitar tier will be alt-charted piano. Overall it's a pretty simple song, but I quite like it (especially the lyrics).
  • Vexus said:

There's actually quite a bit of symphonic metal on the RBN! A band called Amberian Dawn have a lot of songs on there, and I highly recommend you check out the band! There's also some Pythia, Ayreon, Devin Townsend, and even some Sonata Arctica.
    All the more reason to curse the fact that RBN's not coming to RB4 any time soon ;-;
  • Proto-Kaw – Occasion of Your Honest Dreaming

When I looked up this song, the album it's on, etc., I found that it was mid-2000's prog rock from members of Kansas. With the album art of a frickin' buffalo on fire, I was expecting some hard-rocking prog rock. And then I listened, and... it was a bit softer than expected. :p Song is alright, if a bit forgettable. Sounds like it'd be rather fun on guitar, I'm thinking the chart would be similar to Santana's “Smooth” with a bit more alt-charting. I imagine it'd be rather annoying on drums, though, due to the constant ride cymbals throughout.

There are some other songs on Before Became After that would be closer to what you were expecting, but I chose Occasion of Your Honest Dreaming because chill songs with surprisingly hard guitar charts (China Cat Sunflower, Lenny, Rosanna, etc.) are my JAM.

Gloria by Patti Smith for my next request.
  • Fair points on the Phantom Blue song. As a huge hairbanger, I'll generally point to some of the more moderately heavy stuff as a good starting point if you want to get the gist of the genre. The girls in Phantom Blue were pretty talented by all means, they just never hit it big. Hair-metal-band-in-'89-syndrome claimed them too.

Their stuff isn't on iTunes either outside of one song on some obscure metal compilation. I found that to be mildly annoying.

Anyway, new tier, and to keep with the theme, it's another '80's song! A woefully underrated new wave track too.

Jona Lewie - "You'll Always Find Me in the Kitchen At Parties" (released as a single, 1980). A wonderfully whimsical track that only new wave could have produced.
  • I was expecting the drums on Logan's Run to be devils, hah. Alright, one more punk song and I'll move on to something different.

Pennywise - "Now I Know" (from From the Ashes, 2003)
  • Glad you enjoyed the Aerosmith song. It was my replacement song by them after Janie's Got a Gun made it to RB.

My next request may be a bit of a challenge, but it's from one of the best concert movies to ever exist.

The Band - "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down (Live from 'The Last Waltz')"
  • First request of the year!
    Ministry - Everyday Is Halloween
  • Razor_SharkRazor_Shark Opening Act
    If you want more Fair To Midland I will ablige.

Fair To Midland -- Amarillio Sleeps On My Pillow