LiveHomeVideo's RB4 Tiers Thread 2018 Edition! (On Hiatus Again)

Comments

• Heh, Jona Lewie's work was so weird it could only thrive overseas in the U.K. Even then, I don't think his songs were incredibly big hits either, just stuff you'd hear on the radio now and again and probably like.

Good tiers all around, and I would love to play the bass chart just to see how awkward the strumming would get. That and the alt-charted synth-on-guitar, despite my disdain for alt-charting.

I'll go ahead and make my request for next week, and I'll keep the '80's theme going with the next song.

Badlands - Winter's Call (from Badlands, 1989). If you like Led Zeppelin in any way, shape, or form, you should like this.
  • Seems like I have a knack for finding good songs which are also hard as hell. :lol: Thanks again for the tiers!
  • MCSMeisterMCSMeister Road Warrior
    edited January 6
    Yeah, perhaps a big reason why I've come to love Ben Folds is that he can write songs that'll make you laugh your ass off, but can also write completely serious songs that make you contemplate life :p After having heard more of his songs since I initially requested that in April 2016, there's definitely other songs of his that would work better in the confines of RB (though piano is still the dominant instrument in most of what I've heard). Honestly, I find myself liking the lyrics in this song more than anything, as I find them eerily relatable, but the instrumentation is simple and catchy enough. I obviously expected vocals to be the highlight and they're kind of at the forefront of this song, so this is about where I imagined everything would be. Good tier.

Anyway, my next request. So I recently listened to the debut album from a group named The Sonic Dawn. That name probably doesn't ring a bell for you, but I actually had you tier a song from them before! However, it was a song under their previous name, The Mind Flowers - I had you tier "Down the Line" as one of my first requests in your previous thread. The album was pretty great; it was super retro and mostly hearkened back to '60s psychedelic rock, but the production is really polished in comparison to stuff from that era. This song was probably my favorite from the album, and it's the only song on it to use a particular instrument (won't spoil what it is) which really made it stick out from the rest of the album. Let me know how you like it in comparison to "Down the Line"! :)

The Sonic Dawn - "The Mustang" (from Perception, 2015)
  • edited January 6
    Alright, well... I promised, so here's something that isn't punk. Kind of.

Thrice - "Stare at the Sun" (from The Artist in the Ambulance, 2003)

• Patti Smith – Gloria

Not sure what I was expecting with this, but it sure wasn't this :p This was an interesting song, having a lot of blues influence, while building more and more of a punk sound throughout. As for tiers, the outro definitely ramped up the drum and guitar tiers, while a lot of the more freeform-style singing makes this a slightly high vocals tier, despite the range not being all that high (outside of the upward slides, of course).

If you want to see Patti Smith getting even weirder more interesting, I recommend Land or Birdland. Not tiering requests, just song recs.

My tiering request is "Down the Road" by Kansas.
  • Razor_SharkRazor_Shark Opening Act
    I'll give you another reason to get that whole album. It was my favorite album that year, in a year where my two favorite bands(Primus and King's X) both put out albums

Fair To Midland -- Rikki Tikki Tavi
  • Radiohead97Radiohead97 Rising Star
    Maybe this request you'll like more than the others.

The Cult - Fire Woman
  • Cool to see ya doin the tiers again! Here's a request thing!!
    Ice Cube & K.K. Slider - K.K. Good Day
  • Aaand back to punk since I can't control myself.

Ten Foot Pole - "Giving Gravity a Hand" (from Bad Mother Trucker, 2002)
    Thanks for the tier! The guitar on this one sounds like it'd translate to a blast of a chart, and it's no surprise you tiered it higher than "Down the Line" from them, even though both charts sound like they'd be damn fun. You didn't mention "Down the Line" in your review, BTW, so I'm curious if you even remembered it :p I requested it in late 2015 right when your last tier thread opened, so it may need a re-listen, but I think both are very solid. Anyway, tier looks pretty accurate overall, though I will say I didn't expect drums to be 5 dots. They don't sound all that difficult in the fast parts, nor the sitar break, but they do seem to change up quite a bit during the solo with all of the ghost notes. I'd probably tier them at a 4 myself, but I can see a 5 maybe working. Oh, and if it wasn't obvious enough, sitar was the "particular instrument" I was hinting at in my last post.

Keeping up the trend of songs with killer guitar parts, how about some White Denim? You obviously would know "At Night in Dreams" from them, but if you watched the Nintendo Switch trailer back in 2016, then you would know "Ha Ha Ha Ha (Yeah)" as well, as it was prominently used in the trailer. This song is from the same album as that one (which I had TuleRune tier), and I think it showcases their talent exceptionally well!

White Denim - "Holda You (I'm Psycho)" (from Stiff, 2016)
    Something I discovered after being on these forums a long time is that people have mixed opinions on Dave Matthews Band. I don't know where you stand, but I really like his music, especially the drum parts. So I figured my next request come from one of his biggest albums.

Dave Matthews Band - Tripping Billies
  • Emilie Autumn – Dead Is the New Alive (Manipulator Mix by Dope Stars Inc.)

When you said “Let's get edgy!” I got scared you meant in the modern context (aka “Let's see how offensive we can get!”) but thankfully you meant as it was used in the mid-2000's :p This is pretty cool, like the industrial gothic feel to it. As for tiers, I imagine guitar would be charted through most of it, except for the electric violin solo (at least I think that's what that is), thus the higher tier for it. Drums I imagine would be pretty challenging during the verses, and I think I heard a disco beat in the outro, so I'm thinking four dots for that as well. Overall another song that sounds like it'd be pretty fun!

I mean, I could have you tier something horribly offensive if you wanted--

Yup, that's an electric violin in the intro/solo. I'm not generally a big fan of alt-charting stuff to guitar (similar-ish instruments like mandolins, banjos and the like I am generally alright with, or acoustic guitars if that really counts as alt-charting) but I would totally make an exception for this. I thought the vocals might have been higher though, given broad the range Emilie uses on the song is.

Got a suggestion for something that's totally different from anything I've suggested - in that I don't see it having a too high guitar tier and it's a bloke singing. Adam & The Ants: Stand and Deliver
  • "Hold On, Hold On" - Neko Case
  • Preciate the effort of keeping the cover on there! I recommend trying out some of that guy's mashup songs if ya get the time, BotanicSage. He does a lot of video game music crossed with a song (I think usually hip-hop). I especially say give "Let Me Clear My Wallet" a try, it's a brass version of the Bob-Omb Battlefield song from Super Mario 64 with DJ Kool's "Let Me Clear My Throat," very nostalgic yet very hype.

Next one

HAIM - Little of Your Love (from Something to Tell You, 2017)

Kinda disappointed with their last album personally, but this was a highlight from it imo.
  • Nice to see you liked the Badlands song! A personal favorite of mine from that brief period in the late '80's when a handful of bands tried to emulate the sound of Led Zeppelin (Bonham is also another notable band from that, founded by Jason Bonham, the son of John Bonham himself).

This time, I'll break out of the '80's trend and request something decidedly weird. "Three Little Pigs" by Green Jellÿ (from Cereal Killer Soundtrack, 1993). I have no idea how you'll react to this, but... it's definitely something. And I like it too.
    edited January 16
    coolkat said:

Nice to see you liked the Badlands song! A personal favorite of mine from that brief period in the late '80's when a handful of bands tried to emulate the sound of Led Zeppelin (Bonham is also another notable band from that, founded by Jason Bonham, the son of John Bonham himself).

This time, I'll break out of the '80's trend and request something decidedly weird. "Three Little Pigs" by Green Jellÿ (from Cereal Killer Soundtrack, 1993). I have no idea how you'll react to this, but... it's definitely something. And I like it too.

I actually already had @LiveHomeVideo tier this in her previous tier thread, and she's very familiar with it already :p Obviously it's up to her if she wants to tier it again (since the last tier thread was RB4 rules, it might more or less be the same), but I thought I should mention that just in case.
  • coolkat said:

Nice to see you liked the Badlands song! A personal favorite of mine from that brief period in the late '80's when a handful of bands tried to emulate the sound of Led Zeppelin (Bonham is also another notable band from that, founded by Jason Bonham, the son of John Bonham himself).

I actually already had @LiveHomeVideo tier this in her previous tier thread, and she's very familiar with it already :p Obviously it's up to her if she wants to tier it again (since the last tier thread was RB4 rules, it might more or less be the same), but I thought I should mention that just in case.
    Well hot fudge, guess I'll have to request something else then!

How about "Party All the Time" by Eddie Murphy (from How Could It Be, 1985)?
  • I've got to agree with you there about Eddie Murphy. His songs are pretty cool, but even with how brilliantly bizarre the '80's was, pop-star Eddie Murphy just wasn't meant to last :tongue: Still, his music holds up pretty well and Party All the Time is a fantastic song!

In terms of my next request, we're going back into obscure territory again! This time with ridiculously obscure hair metal in the form of the band Valentine, who have a ballad called "You'll Always Have Me". Personally, I think it's a great ballad and among the more sentimental of the bunch, but with you not being as big of a hairbanger, it'd be interesting to see your take on it!
  • Razor_SharkRazor_Shark Opening Act
    Oathbreaker -- Being Able To Feel Nothing
  • Fun fact: I'm pretty sure Adam and the Ants had two drummers simultaneously playing on most of their songs. I think it mainly was to amplify the drum sound, but that could explain why it sounded tricky. On the last part of "Stand and Deliver" specifically it kinda sounds like they might be breaking off a little bit, assuming that they are both playing on the song.

Nothing much to really add, just thought I should throw in that little tidbit : P
    I actually legit like Dave Matthews Band (judge me all you want) and think Tripping Billies would be a good addition to the RB library.

My next request is an Elvis Costello song from an album I don't think gets enough love.

Elvis Costello - "Brilliant Mistake"
    edited January 21
    Welp, those White Denim tiers aren't remotely surprising! I wasn't sure if you were going to do what Tule did for "Ha Ha Ha Ha (Yeah)" and tier vocals high as well (which I could maybe see Harmonix doing) but I guess a 3 works; the vocals are very soulful yet sparse, but I'd maybe put them at a low 4 myself. This one would just be nuts for everyone and only proves further that we need more White Denim in RB - they're talented dudes! I also very much agree that the guitar chart would be harder than "At Night in Dreams" (which I still can't FC!); not only is it faster, but there's a lot of chordy bits later on that sound like they'd be a hand cramp to play, and the band just goes ham towards the outro. BTW, I'm mildly surprised this isn't labeled as Southern Rock, if that intro riff doesn't sound straight out of an Allman Brothers Band song I don't know what does :p

By the way, I had @GameMaster439 tier "Party All the Time" a couple years ago, if you or @coolkat are curious to see that. Pretty similar overall, despite a two-dot difference on guitar and a different genre.

So while I have @Radiohead97 tier the remains of Foster the People's Supermodel, I'll get a head start and have you tier the first single from their third album, Sacred Hearts Club. I haven't had anyone tier songs from this album yet, though I plan on requesting the rest of it for Radio in the far future. I think you'll be quite shocked by this track - it's easily the most polarizing song they've ever released, and it's far removed from the sound of theirs you're familiar with. It'd probably translate terribly in the confines of RB, but I'm curious to see how it'll be tiered.

Foster the People - "Loyal Like Sid & Nancy" (from Sacred Hearts Club, 2017)
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard

BTW, I'm mildly surprised this isn't labeled as Southern Rock, if that intro riff doesn't sound straight out of an Allman Brothers Band song I don't know what does :p

I just went with the same genre HMX labelled At Night In Dreams as (which was "Indie Rock"). I could see them both being labelled as either that or Southern Rock, and even Wikipedia labels them as both (as well as progressive rock, weirdly enough).
  • More punk. The punk never ends.

Rise Against - "Disparity By Design" (from Endgame, 2011)
  • Which was the other Absu song?
    For my request:
    Red Fang - Hank is Dead
  • Prince - "Let’s Go Crazy"