LiveHomeVideo's RB4 Tiers Thread 2018 Edition! (On Hiatus Again)

Comments

• Kind of surprised to see the bass harder than the guitar, but then again, I was unsure if you'd do the RBN approach of charting keys to both bass and guitar. Quite nice that you did though! Really nice tiers, too, as always!

My next request is one of the greatest pieces of pop-prog (although I've heard it referred to as new wave as well) ever conceived. "Why Me?" by Planet P Project (from Planet P Project, 1983).
  • Razor_SharkRazor_Shark Opening Act
    That solo in Larger Than Life is so hype. It really makes me wonder why people hated Boy Bands so much.

Helmet -- Crashing Foreign Cars
  • Radiohead97Radiohead97 Rising Star
    @MCSMeister I'll look into it when I get the chance.

@LiveHomeVideo I'm surprised we haven't already gotten some Killing Joke in RB. This song would be a good fit for a pack. My next request will be some a Led Zeppelin song that I don't think I've seen tiered yet.

Led Zeppelin - Achilles Last Stand
  • edited April 8
    Happy Easter @LiveHomeVideo

I've found this pretty cool band from Athens, Georgia that is influenced by RHCP, and they released this EP just recently. I was hoping you could tier this song from their EP.

The Tines - Last Day (Was originally called Tire Fire)
  • WingsOfSteelWingsOfSteel Headliner
    "Almighty Gosh" - Lucius
  • A song from a Power Metal EP of last year.

Ravenous - Adrift
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    edited April 8
    @FritzyKatz Seems the link you sent doesn't include the song you want me to tier. Is the available elsewhere, so I can listen to it?

EDIT: According to a Google search, the song IS there, but it's been renamed to "Last Day". Would you be able to confirm if this is the same song?
  • @FritzyKatz Seems the link you sent doesn't include the song you want me to tier. Is the available elsewhere, so I can listen to it?

EDIT: According to a Google search, the song IS there, but it's been renamed to "Last Day". Would you be able to confirm if this is the same song?

Yep, it's the same song.

I wasn't expecting the song title change to be honest, as I wasn't aware of it until you told me. Thanks for letting me know. :)

@FritzyKatz Seems the link you sent doesn't include the song you want me to tier. Is the available elsewhere, so I can listen to it?

Yep, it's the same song.

I wasn't expecting the song title change to be honest, as I wasn't aware of it until you told me. Thanks for letting me know. :)
    Alright, good to know, I'll try to get tiers done tonight!
    edited April 16
    Sorry for the delay, stressful week. But I've finally got tiers done for @MCSMeister , @mlee117379 , @coolkat , @Razor_Shark , @Radiohead97 , @FritzyKatz , @WingsOfSteel , @JimmyLethal , and @Wildcat15 !

Fever the Ghost – Source

This song is pretty alright, reminded me a bit of that one psychedelic album by Foster the People (or at the very least the songs from that you showed me). Also sounded like it'd be pretty fun on Rock Band! Guitar and bass are mostly the same throughout, so both get the same tier. I do think they'd probably chart the synth solo to guitar, but it didn't seem quite enough to push it to devils (though it is rather close). Drums seemed to have a pretty steady beat throughout, and though it is pretty much a constant disco beat, it's at a very slow tempo, so thinking four dots. As for vocals, some of the high notes also bring them up to four dots as well.

The Explosion – Here I Am

This one was pretty fun to listen to, and sounds like it'd be a cool addition to the game. As for tiers, guitar and bass seem to fit comfortably at 3-dot (lots of fast-strumming chords on guitar, though no solos or anything that would bump it up too high), while drums seem fast and frantic enough for five dots. Vocals seem to be a good, solid 2-dot, with a bit of a fast tempo, but an accessible amount of range for the tier.

Planet P Project – Why Me?

This song is pretty cool, and also sounds vaguely familiar. Wonder if I may have heard this song in my childhood or something (I listened to a lot of 80's stuff as a small kid). It also sounds like it'd be pretty fun. As for tiers, I don't think there'd be any alt-charting on guitar, since there's guitar throughout, though regardless the solos and some of the chorus strumming would bring it up to 3 dot. Bass also seems to have enough going on for 3 dots. As for drums, at first I was thinking 0 dots, but listened to a higher-quality upload of it and discovered a slow, but consistent, disco-beat pattern, so 4 dots it is. Vocals seem to fit snugly under 3 dots.

Helmet – Crashing Foreign Cars

This song's pretty alright, would probably be really fun on Rock Band as well. Most of it would be pretty high-tiered, with a lot of HOPOcoaster stuff on guitar and bass, and a lot of fast fills on drums. Vocals I imagine would be mostly talkies in the verses, with the choruses not being really challenging enough for anything above 1 dot.

Led Zeppelin – Achilles Last Stand

I actually did tier this one years ago, way before I started using tier pictures (in fact, may have been on my old profile). This one is one of my favorite Zeppelin songs, and a truly underappreciated one. It would also be really fun on Rock Band, I feel, as well as rather challenging. Drums and guitar are just short of devils (there's a lot going on, but none of it fast or frantic enough for a devil tier, I feel), while bass seems like a hell of an endurance test, thus getting devils. And a lot of the freeform singing in the second half bumps the vocals tier way up to devils as well.

The Tines – Last Day

I definitely hear the RHCP influence here. This sounds pretty alright, and the sudden reggae break and sudden outro are appreciated. As for tiers, the verses would probably drive both guitar and bass to four dots, with lots of fast, alt-strumming chord patterns on guitar and funky basslines (also the outro would also be rather challenging). The outro is pretty much the reason for the higher tier on drums, and vocals seem to fit nicely under 3 dots.

Lucius – Almighty Gosh

I remember thinking the Lucius song on RB4 was pretty alright. I wasn't as much a fan of this one, though. The echoey, lo-fi production doesn't really do anything for me, sadly. Though it does sound like it'd be pretty fun to play in Rock Band all around. Drums sound crazy hectic, thus the devils there. Vocals have a lot of long, freeform notes that go everywhere, so labelling that as devils as well. The first half of the song is the reason why it's 5 dots on guitar, with a lot of those sweeps and such, though nothing really long or fast enough to warrant devils. Bass sounds really funky as well, and with that really fast strumming bit, I'm thinking five dots on bass as well.

Toadies – I Come from the Water

This song is weeeeiiiird. Not sure how I feel about it, honestly; I was never really big into Toadies. However this song is weird enough to at least get my interest. As for tiers, guitar sounds like it'd be somewhat similar to “Rob the Pres-O-Dent” by That Handsome Devil, though the verse riff doesn't last nearly as long, so thinking four dots. Bass sounds like a simplified version of this, so thinking three dots. Drums sound somewhat tricky and jazzy, but not really enough for anything more than three dots. And as with a few other songs, this seems rather middle difficulty, vocals-wise.

Ravenous – Adrift

Whne searching for Ravenous on Wikipedia, I get redirected to an article about a Futuretech/Electro-Industrial group called Funker Vogt, from Germany. Something tells me this isn't the same band :p This song is pretty alright, sounds like it'd be pretty fun. The guitar solo is pretty much why it's devil tier, and the final chorus on drums also sounds really hard. Bass seems like a solid 4 dot (doing 8th triplets along to the chord progression mostly), and vocals seem to fit well under three dots.
  • edited April 8
    I'd love to compare our numbers on "Ulvinde" by Myrkur (from the 2017 album "Mareridt").

(I'm seeing her supporting Epica later this week. Weirdly, I'm looking forward to seeing her almost as much.)
  • MCSMeisterMCSMeister Road Warrior
    Very glad you liked this one (and it's always welcome to see no complaints with the vocals :p)! I really love what I've heard from this group, they do such a fine job of making psychedelic music with pop sensibilities, and I think it's equal parts weird and accessible for that reason. Agreeable tiers all around here. I almost thought vocals would be a dot higher because of how wonky they are, and the same goes for drums as the disco beat is very snare heavy, but I can settle for a high 4 on both. I will say, since Fever the Ghost are one of those bands who don't publish their lyrics, I'd love to see this in Rock Band if only to see what the vocals are charted as (there's lyrics online for the song, but something tells me they were transcribed by ear, not from an official source). And yeah, I have a feeling guitar would just be shy of devils because of that brief crazy part in the synth solo. If it lasted only a little longer, I feel like that would push it to devils, but it's only like 2 seconds of note spam.

Now for a returning artist to your tier threads with Suburban Lawns, one of my favorite new wave groups! You obviously remember the craziness of "Janitor" and "Flying Saucer Safari" in your last thread. However, those were both on their debut album, whereas this song was on their only other release, an EP released 2 years after that. I won't spoil anything, but let's just say I expect this to be overall more difficult than those two ;)

Suburban Lawns - "Baby" (from Baby EP, 1983)
  • Razor_SharkRazor_Shark Opening Act
    Meme song time

Kirin J. Callinan -- Big Enough
  • Spiderbait - White Trash Superstar (Grand Slam, 1999)
  • edited April 9
    Couldn't agree more on the "Why Me?" tiers, they look fairly accurate! Thanks for them, as always!

In fact, to continue the trend, I'm going to start giving you songs from the next album Tony Carey did with his solo Planet P Project (yeah, what you heard was the work of one guy!), the Cold War-era magnum opus "Pink World," one of the greatest albums to come out of the prog circle. Now, the album has a lot of short interlude tracks, so I'll bunch those together since I'd seriously doubt we'd get them alone. Thus, I will start with the technically two opening tracks, "In the Woods/To Live Forever." In the upload, that's the first five minutes (stopping exactly at 5 minutes in). Given that I've already stated the name of the album, the year of release is 1984, for your convenience so you don't have to dig for it. I hope you get some enjoyment out of this album - it's criminally overlooked and really needs some more attention!
    Didn't realize you did tiers for Achilles already. That's cool though. Would be a fun challenge in RB

Anyway, my next request is a recent replacement song in my RB5 setlist.

Manic Street Preachers - "La Tristesse Durera (Scream to a Sigh)"
  • NightmareLyreNightmareLyre Rising Star
    Since I'm here, requesting this song I mentioned to you the other day

Kari Bremnes - Mitt Hjerte Hamrer og Hamrer (from Fantastisk Allerede, 2010)
  • Lucius – Almighty Gosh

I remember thinking the Lucius song on RB4 was pretty alright. I wasn't as much a fan of this one, though. The echoey, lo-fi production doesn't really do anything for me, sadly. Though it does sound like it'd be pretty fun to play in Rock Band all around. Drums sound crazy hectic, thus the devils there. Vocals have a lot of long, freeform notes that go everywhere, so labelling that as devils as well. The first half of the song is the reason why it's 5 dots on guitar, with a lot of those sweeps and such, though nothing really long or fast enough to warrant devils. Bass sounds really funky as well, and with that really fast strumming bit, I'm thinking five dots on bass as well.

Oh there are definitely Lucius songs I like more than this song. How Loud Your Heart Gets is the song I’d actually choose if we could only get one other song from them, but I chose Almighty Gosh because it sounded like it would have interesting charts.

My next request is "Goodnight and Go" by Imogen Heap (the album version, not the single edit).
  • edited April 16
    Let me request a song, I hope it's not too late.

Mägo de Oz - El Pacto

I don't know if the language spoken has any effect in the vocal tiers, honestly.
    Wildcat15 said:

I don't know if the language spoken has any effect in the vocal tiers, honestly.

Usually it doesn't.
  • edited April 16
    Wildcat15 said:

Mägo de Oz - El Pacto

Can't speak for LiveHomeVideo, but it has absolutely zero effect on my tiers for two reasons. 1: The game ranks melodic accuracy, not pronunciation. 2: Not every player's first language is English. A native German speaker would find Du Hast easier than almost any other tier three (or possibly even lower tier) vocal songs, for example, especially if pronunciation was a factor in scoring.
    edited April 16
    Vexus said:

Wildcat15 said:

Mägo de Oz - El Pacto

Can't speak for LiveHomeVideo, but it has absolutely zero effect on my tiers for two reasons. 1: The game ranks melodic accuracy, not pronunciation. 2: Not every player's first language is English. A native German speaker would find Du Hast easier than almost any other tier three (or possibly even lower tier) vocal songs, for example, especially if pronunciation was a factor in scoring.
    Pretty much agree with all this. The language doesn't affect my tiers, either, I look more for how the melodies are, how fast and how wide a range the vocals are, etc.

EDIT: It may be a few more days before I can do tiers. I was gonna do them today, since the weekend was busy, but feeling I need a mental health day. Tomorrow may be too busy as well (I'll see how I feel after taking Norwegian class), so it may be Wednesday or later that I do tiers.
    I just want to apologize for the long delay. The past week was full of stress, and I needed a few days during the weekend to cool down. And I also regret to say that after this batch, I will be going on a hiatus. Hopefully it'll be very brief, but with the stress in my life reaching a boiling point recently, I don't think I'd be able to focus enough on this at this time. Hopefully things will calm down soon!

Here are tiers for @Vexus , @MCSMeister , @Razor_Shark , @mlee117379 , @coolkat , @Radiohead97 , @NightmareLyre , @WingsOfSteel , and @Wildcat15 !

Myrkur – Ulvinde

This was pretty cool, like the mixing of black metal and more melodic, yet still foreboding, elements. I should try listening to more Myrkur at some point, I had heard of her music before and been interested. As for tiers, guitar is five dots due to the fast strumming (though they don't last the full song, and there's easier parts as well, so thinking five dots will do), while bass is very easy through most of it, though the occasional HOPO to go along with guitar chord changes brings it to 1 dot. Drums would be 0 dots, if it weren't for the double-bass in the outro, though it's slow enough to where I think 4 dots would fit. Vocals seem to fit perfectly under 2 dots.

Suburban Lawns – Baby

Note about the album cover in the tier image, seems it didn't do well with scaling down for the smaller album cover image in the template. Apologies that it looks off. So this was quite the thing; wasn't expecting a new wave song to remind me of tech-death bands such as Cephalic Carnage (the really shreddy riffs somewhat remind me of parts of “Abraxas of Filth,” a song from the RBN). This was pretty cool, and sounds like it'd be really fun on Rock Band. Guitar and bass are without a doubt devil-tiered. Drums are just short, just because most of the time it seems to be a consistent beat, and I imagine a lot of the percussion/bongo drums would be left uncharted outside of the drum solo, due to how HMX typically treat these sort off drum patterns (opting most of the time to stick only to one drum kit at a time, leaving additional stuff out of the chart). Vocals seem like a weird melody to sing, though probably not the world's biggest range, so thinking four dots for them will do.

Kirin J. Callinan – Big Enough (ft. Alex Cameron)

For the reasons of convenience, I went with an upload without the music video so I don't know if there's any additional memes from it, outside of dat thumbnail. This song was still plenty weird without it, though. Not entirely sure I'm a fan of most of it (a lot of the lyrics seem to be trying too hard to be “wacky,” with a sense of humor I happen to not really be fond of), but the parts with the screaming are quite the thing. As for tiers, the piano bit is why the song is 3 dots on guitar (though the main synth riff has a lot of smaller notes that may also be tricky), while bass seems slightly easier. Drums seems like a basic disco beat through a lot of it with little variation, so thinking four dots. Vocals should probably be obvious why they're devil-tiered :p

Spiderbait – White Trash Superstar

I'm mostly familiar with Spiderbait's cover of Black Betty, so hearing this was quite a break from expectations. Also confusing is that I can't seem to find the song on YouTube (I almost tiered an entirely different song until it was pointed out to me that I was listening to the wrong song by my friend). It's worth noting that I'm in Norway, so there may be videos available in the US that aren't here. The song is alright, I could see it being fun on Rock Band. Guitar and Bass I imagine the main riff would get tricky after a while, thus the 3 dots. Drums get 4 dots due to a lot of the weird kick-snare patterns throughout. Vocals seem to fit fine under 2 dots.

Planet P Project – In the Woods/To Live Forever

This is pretty alright, interested in seeing how the rest of the album is like after my short hiatus. I can sort of see influence from early 80's Genesis (this somewhat reminds me of parts of stuff from Abacab and Duke), only this one is much more synth-based. As for tiers, I imagine a lot of the time there would be synth alt-charted to guitar, though some of the guitar patterns are what would bring this to 3 dots. The synth bass I imagine would go on bass, and with some of the fast-strumming bits with that I imagine this would be 4 dots on bass, while drums has a basic disco beat that would bring it up to 4 dots as well. Vocals seem to fit snuggly in the middle when it comes to tiers, thus 3 dots.

Manic Street Preachers – La Tristesse Durera (Scream to a Sigh)

This sounds vaguely familiar, though haven't heard this since early childhood I don't think. This song is alright, and I imagine it fitting in with a lot of what HMX has been releasing lately. I imagine the main riff and the solo would bring this up to 4 dots on guitar (I also figure the piano solo would be charted, though it wouldn't really affect the tier much), while bass is slightly less complex. Drums started off sounding rather basic, but over the course of the song I noticed more and more things that would drive the drum tier up a bit. Vocals seem to fit under 4 dots I feel; there's a bit of range to them, though I imagine with how repetitive they are they wouldn't be ultra-challenging to figure out after a while.

(Continued on next post)
    Kari Bremnes – Mitt Hjerte Hamrer og Hamrer

This song would be cool to see on Rock Band, though the possibility of that would be very slim, if at all. For those wondering, this is a pretty chill electronic track that feels someone like 80's new wave, but has a lot of cool drum bits in it. As for tiers, I imagine guitar would be devil-tiered, due to the synth riff that goes all over the place and never relents. Bass, on the other hand, is very sparse, and would be 0-dot. The interesting thing would be the drums, which while somewhat sporadic, would include a solo and a lot of weird patterns that would bring it up rather high, though I think due to the space between drum parts, I'm thinking five dots here. Vocals I imagine would fit well under 3 dots.

Imogen Heap – Goodnight and Go

I'm mostly familiar with “Hide and Seek” so this was quite different than expected. Wasn't expecting this to be so upbeat, but sure I can dig this. This sounds like it'd be pretty fun on Rock Band, albeit with some alt-charting (I get a lot of people tend to dislike that, though I personally don't mind it). As for tiers, I imagine a lot of the patterns, both synth and guitar, would be pretty tricky, while bass would mostly be easy, but the choruses would be a bit more involved. The really fast hi-hat stuff is why drums are devil-tiered, and while I don't think it'd be as challenging as Hide and Seek, I do think vocals would also be a decent challenge.

Mägo de Oz – El Pacto

This song is pretty cool, I should try listening to more from this band (I also liked the one you showed on that Rock Band Forums Band Skype chat). As for tiers, I imagine a lot of the fiddle would be alt-charted to guitar, though the guitar solo is what brings it up to devil tier. Bass seems just a step down from Guitar, due to the lack of solos. Drums seem to have some rather tricky parts (especially the disco beats during the verses), though also a lot of more relaxed parts, so I'm thinking five dots. Vocals also sound like they'd be rather tricky; as mentioned, the lyrics being in Spanish wouldn't affect the tier at all, but they still sound like they'd be tough to sing with the wide range and Dio-esque high notes.
    That Manic Street Preachers song isn't their biggest one, but it's one of my favorites.
  • MCSMeisterMCSMeister Road Warrior
    edited April 25
    No need to worry - take all of the time you need, as it's no fun doing tiers if you're feeling mentally unwell. I look forward to this thread's return after the (hopefully brief) hiatus, and expect more good tunes to come your way then! :)

As for the tier, no need to worry about the EP cover; it's one of those covers with a weird filter on it and naturally looks weird when scaled down, so that's not your fault. Death metal comparisons were the absolute last thing I expected for this, but yeah, it's really heavy and groove-laden at times so I can see that now. I almost thought this would be one of those "devils on everything except vocals" songs, though yeah, if the bongos and other crazy percussion were mostly ignored for the drum chart then that'd make it significantly more doable (but honestly, I feel like Harmonix would try to incorporate some of it in somehow...). The main drum beat is still fairly challenging, but much more consistent.

Vocals were the main thing I was unsure about here because "Flying Saucer Safari" got 1 dot, but "Janitor" got devils, so it really could've been anything. I guess the vocals aren't on the same level as Janitor, but I still expected them to be in the higher range so 4 dots looks about right. They're also fairly sparse, but Su Tissue still has such an off-kilter singing style that I imagine it'd be pretty difficult to emulate, pitch-wise. And yeah, guitar and bass just sound nuts :p Definitely would be hella fun, though, especially the HOPOfest parts. Anyway, I'll wish you well and hope things settle down soon!
  • LiveToWinLiveToWin Unsigned
    edited April 29
    Toxik - Machine Dream

Thoughts? Personal favorite track, and it seems like it'd be both fun to play and brutal, at least for guitar and vocals.