Vexus's Hypothetical Rock Band 5! (91 on-disc songs, DLC, RBN return requests and a sandwich)

Comments

• So, while the store's not letting me buy it yet, I have seen the tiers for Time to Say Goodbye.
    Could someone tell me how the bloody hell I managed to get every single one correct, including drums and vocals, and with relative tiers?!
  • MCSMeisterMCSMeister Road Warrior
    edited November 2
    Dayum son, congrats! Looking at your tier and later listening to the song, I honestly thought something had to get devils. But you're now in the rare club of "people who have gotten tiers spot-on", along with @TuleRune and @SoConfined. I feel like maybe one other person has, but it's really like winning the lottery, in a sense, and I rarely see it. Not to mention the other instances I've seen haven't been relative tiers, so this is just icing on the cake.

I guess there's no use in posting a comparison now since you spoiled it, but I don't care, I'm posting one anyway!

Well, after playing the song on everything today, it really is a close shave with the guitar tier - I was able to GS it on guitar on my first run, whereas "This Will Be the Day" took me a couple tries to GS. I think this is due in part to the bulk of the scoring being the fast alt-strumming bits. Its tier is likely lower because there's also a few breathers with sustains, but the solo is really the main part that's difficult (and only like the first 2-3 seconds of it are bonkers, it becomes slightly more manageable after that). Still, though, I could definitely argue for it being devils for most people due to the speed of what you play.

Bass, on the other hand, I'm really baffled isn't devils - I'd argue it's even more complex than the guitar chart at times. There's a lot more movement across the fretboard, not to mention bass has a different threshold of what a devil-tiered chart is due to it normally being easier than guitar. Drums are probably the most warranting of 5 dots here, as they pretty much keep a consistent, yet fast beat throughout (plus they get a break during the bridge), so the 5 dots are more about speed than complexity, for the most part. That said, some of the fills are uber-fast, but nothing too ridiculous beyond that.

TL;DR, you really lucked out on a fluke IMO, because I definitely think something should have gotten devils.
  • I'm not so sure. I can't really comment on drums, but I didn't think the bass chart was quite Impossible-tier - certainly not in comparison to a lot of songs that actually have an impossible tier (Chop Suey, Redneck, Metropolis, Dream Genie, Peace Sells for instance). High Nightmare seems about right. Same for Guitar - at a push, it's on par with a low impossible like Something Bigger Something Brighter, and definitely below This Will Be The Day.

Still, I will concede that there is some luck involved in being 100% spot on with relative tiers, but even then there is no way Time To Say Goodbye would be on the same level as something like Cry of the Banshee, Headlong Flight, Road of Resistance or Wynona's Big Brown Beaver.

All the more reason for us to have an Epica song that's not Beyond the Matrix or Crimson Bow and Arrow I say - give me something I've been really wanting for ages that's also a proper test of my tiering ability! :3
  • Bass is a difficult one by how few songs there are in the higher tiers. For example there's more 0 dot guitar songs than 5 dot and devil tier songs on bass. 5 dots for Time to Say Goodbye I agree with though.
  • MCSMeisterMCSMeister Road Warrior
    Vexus said:

I'm not so sure. I can't really comment on drums, but I didn't think the bass chart was quite Impossible-tier - certainly not in comparison to a lot of songs that actually have an impossible tier (Chop Suey, Redneck, Metropolis, Dream Genie, Peace Sells for instance). High Nightmare seems about right. Same for Guitar - at a push, it's on par with a low impossible like Something Bigger Something Brighter, and definitely below This Will Be The Day.

It's really a thin line between five dots and devils for guitar and bass, I think. Again, I think bass is the one instrument that could deserve a devil tier if any instrument were to get one on that song. @LiveHomeVideo told me years ago that due to bass generally being easier than guitar, tiers work differently, and some things that would be five dots on guitar are devils on bass, for instance. In and of itself, sure, bass could probably be five dots, but judging how the instrument as a whole is usually tiered, devils seems more applicable. That was primarily what I was basing my opinion on here.
  • It's Bonfire Night, or Guy Fawkes Night, or "let's celebrate our government not getting blown up centuries ago by burning and blowing stuff up" Night here in the UK. Have some singles!

Variety Singles: Remember the Fifth of November Edition

Exit Eden: Firework [4]
    Hot Hot Heat: Let Me In [1]
    Franz Ferdinand: This Fire [3]

Exit Eden is a symphonic metal supergroup with four different main lead singers, who intend to show that pop songs can work just as well if not better as metal songs. Their only album so far is Rhapsodies in Black, which features a plethora of pop songs rearranged to fit the genre. On vocals are Amanda Somerville (Avantasia, Epica, Trillium and a whole bunch of other bands), Marina La Torraca (Phantom Elite), Clémentine Delauney (Visions of Atlantis, Serenity) and newcomer Anna Brunner. As well as replicating (and in my obviously heavily biased opinion, bettering) Katy Perry's original vocal, there are some sweet harmonies on this track. Bass has some pretty heavy chugging rhythms and the keyboards keep most of the leads from the original. Guitar's a bit of a mix of the two, moving between rhythmic sections and additional leads and countermelodies - not to mention the solo of course!

"Woke up to smoke and flames" and a band named Hot Hot Heat? Yeah, close enough for a bonfire night song choice! It also has a bit of a symphonic feel at points, with keys and bass as the most standout instruments. It's a much simpler song than I usually go for but it's also one of the most underrated songs in Saints Row 2 in my opinion.

Since this is a British holiday (well, sort of - we don't get the day off) I figured we should have an actual British band. Franz Ferdinand are no stranger to Rock Band, having had a three-pack including fellow self-titled debut album single Take Me Out. This Fire (or Fffire if you prefer) has some pretty active and varied instrument parts and a vocal hook that's going to stick with you. Definitely a band we should have more of in my opinion!
  • Revenge of the Top 10 Lists

I noticed @FritzyKatz has been doing various top 10 lists from their current and previous request threads. I'm running things with mine a bit differently, just sticking with two threads that do admittedly overlap quite a bit - one for songs that are particularly guitar, bass and/or drum-focused (this one) and one for songs that are particularly keys-focused (the other one). So, here are my top 10 songs from both threads of each decade. Just to make it trickier, I'm not going to repeat any bands. While I will be drawing from the keys thread as well, these are all songs that I think would work well in the guitar/bass/drums/vocal set-up without a lot of alt-charting.

1960s or earlier
    1. Dion and the Belmonts: The Wanderer
    2. Coven: Wicked Woman
    3. Marty Robbins: Big Iron
    4. Aretha Franklin: Respect
    5. Barry McGuire: Eve of Destruction
    6. The Who: Substitute
    7. The Turtles: Happy Together
    8. Bobby "Boris" Pickett: The Monster Mash
    9. The Beach Boys: Wouldn't It Be Nice?
    10. ? and the Mysterians: 96 Tears
    (What can I say? I haven't requested much from the 50s or 60s!)

1970s
    1. Black Sabbath: Children of the Grave
    2. Fleetwood Mac: The Chain
    3. Derek and the Dominoes: Layla
    4. Rainbow: Stargazer
    5. The Undertones: Teenage Kicks
    6. Sweet: Fox on the Run
    7. Suzi Quatro: 48 Crash
    8. Motörhead: Overkill
    9. Thin Lizzy: Whiskey in the Jar
    10. David Bowie: Starman
    1980s
    1. Siouxsie and the Banshees: Spellbound
    2. Metallica: Creeping Death
    3. The Proclaimers: Letter from America
    4. Guns 'n Roses: Paradise City
    5. Michael Jackson: Beat It
    6. Suicidal Tendencies: Institutionalized
    7. Janet Jackson: Black Cat
    8. The Cure: A Forest
    9. Girlschool: Race With the Devil
    10. Bill Medley and Jennifer Warner: (I've Had) The Time of My Life
    1990s
    1. Ash: Girl from Mars
    2. Manic Street Preachers: Motorcycle Emptiness
    3. The Gathering: Leaves
    4. Pantera: Cemetery Gates
    5. Sepultura: Roots Bloody Roots
    6. Garbage: Only Happy When It Rains
    7. Ocean Colour Scene: Hundred Mile High City
    8. Hole: Awful
    9. En Vogue: Free Your Mind
    10. Pulp: Common People
    2000s
    1. Muse: Knights of Cydonia
    2. Nightwish: Wishmaster
    3. Avril Lavigne: Sk8er Boi
    4. Emilie Autum: Dead Is the New Alive (remix)
    5. Brocas Helm: Cry of the Banshee
    6. Fountains of Wayne: Stacy's Mom
    7. Biffy Clyro: Bubbles
    8. Skindred: Warning
    9. Outkast: B.O.B.
    10. The Rasmus: In the Shadows
    2010s
    1. Epica: Beyond the Matrix
    2. Rush: Headlong Flight
    3. Lovebites: The Crusade
    4. Delain: Suckerpunch
    5. Within Temptation: Paradise (What About Us?)
    6. St. Vincent: Rattlesnake
    7. Paramore: Rose-Colored Boy
    8. Jack White: Over and Over and Over
    9. Haim: The Wire
    10. My Indigo: My Indigo
    I also forgot I'd already requested Love Bites (So Do I) by Halestorm, so I'm rethinking that one too. Whoops!
  • Rethought Love Bites. Thought about replacing it with some Lovebites, but their guitar parts would probably be a bit too tricky for tier 5. Instead, it's going to be The Crucifier by Crucified Barbara. I've said before that this particular song sounds like Motörhead but, well, there is no but - it sounds like it could have been a Motörhead track, which is not actually a bad thing. If not Motörhead, there's definitely a bit of a Girlschool influence. The vocals might be a little overtiered for what's ultimately a replacement for Time To Say Goodbye, but they're not overly straightforward either. Everything else is on par with both TTSG and Love Bites, I reckon.

This is why I should probably have a backup setlist. XD