WRUDRN 2018: Deep Blues Traveller Something.... Bruther

Comments

• LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith

I don’t get the relevance of soundtracks to games where you don’t interact with the music. I play games listening to the music I want to listen to, and don’t particularly care to be made to listen to whoever the developers think I want to listen to.

I consider a soundtrack to be as important tho a game as art design, for the most part. Usually soundtracks provide a sonic texture that sets the mood. Even licensed soundtracks can have this effect; look at the Fallout games for an example.

I couldn't imagine playing Persona 5, Fez, FTL, or even games with minimalist soundtracks like Breath of the Wild with other music in the background.

Then again, I might be misunderstanding your definition of "interact," since we're on a forum dedicated to a game where that word is applied as literally as possible to its soundtrack.
  • Harmonix really needs to bring back pro guitar pal
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited January 7
    LoopyChew said:

I don’t get the relevance of soundtracks to games where you don’t interact with the music. I play games listening to the music I want to listen to, and don’t particularly care to be made to listen to whoever the developers think I want to listen to.

I consider a soundtrack to be as important tho a game as art design, for the most part. Usually soundtracks provide a sonic texture that sets the mood. Even licensed soundtracks can have this effect; look at the Fallout games for an example.

I couldn't imagine playing Persona 5, Fez, FTL, or even games with minimalist soundtracks like Breath of the Wild with other music in the background.

Then again, I might be misunderstanding your definition of "interact," since we're on a forum dedicated to a game where that word is applied as literally as possible to its soundtrack.
    A score, composed for a game, is part of the art. For the most part, pop and rock songs shoehorned into a driving game - weren’t an artistic decision, they were a marketing decision.

Yeah, RB is the reason for the ‘interact’ clause. There’s a good reason I don’t play rock band while listening to other music - the gameplay necessitates my hearing the music. But there’s no good reason why I should submit myself to, say, Good Charlotte because their lawyers negotiated terms with EA’s lawyers to have their song included in a driving game or sports game soundtrack. A decision on whether or not to buy such a game does not consider the ‘soundtrack’ at all because it has nearly no value to me - there’s virtually no chance the music they curate for me will be preferable to music I curate for me.
  • LiveHomeVideoLiveHomeVideo Trying too hard
    I myself like licensed soundtracks; a lot of the time I find cool new songs I wouldn't have heard of otherwise. The Tony Hawk's games in particular have a lot of great punk, metal, and hip-hop, that I wouldn't have been able to listen to otherwise while living in a pretty sheltered environment (I didn't have the happiest childhood...). Sports games from the 2000's in general tend to have great soundtracks; hell, one of my favorite licensed soundtracks is for Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004, which consisted of equal parts emo/alternative and hip-hop, and was pretty fun to listen to (I was introduced to Brand New thanks to that game)!

I understand completely if you'd prefer to just listen to your own music and jam out to that. I just see licensed soundtracks as a way to promote music I may not have heard before, and for that I love them for that.
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    While a lot of soundracks are crucial to a game, the GTAs in particular put a lot of thought into their licenced soundtracks to build a feel. Burnout was never the case, as the set featured promotional material that was highly out of place like Girlfriend by Avril Lavign and Electable by Jimmy Eat World. I’m a huge fan of some artists in the game like LCD Soundsystem and even I feel it was odd to include their song.

Burnout was a great racing game, but the soundtrack wasn’t exactly lightning in a bottle.
  • Hogan2015 said:

Harmonix really needs to bring back pro guitar pal

Eh I don't ever see that happening (Thanks to the high competition with Rocksmith). If we were ever to get an instrument back I think keyboard would make more sense.
  • edited January 7
    But where would be the paradise of Burnout Paradise if they can't get Paradise City again.
    Wildcat15 said:

But where would be the paradise of Burnout Paradise if they can't get Paradise City again.

Probably substituted with Paradise by Dashboard Light or Cheeseburger in Paradise
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    Witticus said:

Wildcat15 said:

Probably substituted with Paradise by Dashboard Light or Cheeseburger in Paradise
    Heaven forbid Coldplay
  • Witticus said:

Wildcat15 said:

Heaven forbid Coldplay
    All cars get replaced by golf carts
  • thatmarkguythatmarkguy Road Warrior
    edited January 8
    Mike Reno - Almost Paradise (from the Footloose soundtrack) would be fine.

How could we ask for more?
  • Lawdog1521Lawdog1521 Squirrel Chasing Expert
    It'll be a book on tape version of Paradise Lost read by Gilbert Godfrey
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    Any mention of songs involving paradise, it’s mandatory by law to include David Lee Roth’s Just Like Paradise.
    I've got two tickets
    A mention of David Lee Roth...

Well, let me roll up onto the sidewalk and take a look. Ohhhhhhhh myyy god!

A mention of David Lee Roth...

Well, let me roll up onto the sidewalk and take a look. Ohhhhhhhh myyy god!

Ease the seat back!
    Ahhhhhh, Witt, give me a break.
    One break, comin’ up!
  • DangimarockerDangimarocker Headliner
    edited January 8

Ahhhhhh, Witt, give me a break.

of his Kitkat bar?
    Dangi needs to listen to more Van Halen. :smile:
  • DrowGamer77DrowGamer77 Serious Business

Hey friends! Happy Monday!! I miss playing RB with my crew.
  • Dangi needs to listen to more Van Halen. :smile:

I was just making the Kitkat joke ;)
    What was that one joke about breaking the chain in a thread? Insert that one here.
  • BachiG said:

What was that one joke about breaking the chain in a thread? Insert that one here.

C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!
    I can STILL
    HEAR you SAYing
    You would NEVER break the chain
    Never break the chain
    Wildcat15 said:

BachiG said:

C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!
    That was it... i ran out of time trying to think of it while at work!
  • DrowGamer77DrowGamer77 Serious Business
    edited January 9
    welp, it's raining in Los Angeles.

this should be fun
    edited January 10
    Ouch... hopefully you’re not still on the road on your way to wherever you were going. ...and if you are, hopefully you brought snacks!

...also, that spam blocker shiitake is bullsquat.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star

welp, it's raining in Los Angeles.

this should be fun

Reminds me of my dismay the first time I discovered that google traffic can actually turn from red to black.