WRUDRN 2018: Deep Blues Traveller Something.... Bruther

Comments

• WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    It’s a misnomer to say no company cares about single player when there are a miriad of great single player games that came out over the past year or so. Horizon: Zero Dawn, God of War, Spider-Man (All PS4 exclusives I know, but just recent examples outside of Nintendo)

But here’s my feelings on crime characters. Its almost impossible to create a likeable character who is going to end up mowing down thousand of cops over the course of a game. These are not people you want to aspire to be and I’m actually glad they’re like that instead of inspiring folks to follow suite.
  • Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    Surely that's why "zombies" are so popular as enemies in video games [and movies]. The hero can take out wave after wave of them and still remain unquestionably heroic.

See also: robots
    Works to an only slightly lesser extent: living non-human critters (bugs, aliens)
    Definitively human but still accepted as scum: drug dealers
    Definitively human and pretty damn unpopular: arms dealers, smugglers, mafia
    "Army of specific countries": doesn't work so much any more, if only because of the important international market
  • Niko, CJ, and Johnny were all interesting characters, they were not inspiring people... but they all had compelling reasons to do what they do. All of them had people they cared for. All of them suffer betrayals by people close to them. They are not people to aspire to be... but they are also not **** who get in trouble for being jerks and then have to be bigger **** to get out of the trouble
  • I just took out the biggest earwax...with just my finger :#
  • I just took out the biggest earwax...with just my finger :#

Noice
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith

I just took out the biggest earwax...with just my finger :#

Noice
    Toit.
    RDR2: I'm looking forward to getting to the point in the game where I can just wander around for hours studying animals and collecting plants.

The sights are beautiful to behold, even on my cruddy non-pro PS4 being viewed on a way-too-small monitor. An extraordinary amount of work went into putting an overwhelming amount of detail into the game. But in the end, you've got a range of options from "being a moral and honorable member of a gang of killers, thieves and grifters" and "being a rude, nasty, murderous, foul member of a gang of killers, thieves and grifters". I'm only playing it out of peer pressure and it's so well made that I'm able to enjoy parts of the experience. But surely it should have become obvious to me long ago that my ideal gaming experience is one that doesn't bother to tell a story about humans at all. Not insights into the nature of morality or how evil has to be met with force, nothing about building alliances and well-timed betrayals or anything to do with "dealing with people" at all. It's not fun for me, never will be. Man is truly the most terrible monster of them all.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    One of my favorite points in RDR1 was when I had built a totally honorable character and then went to the outlaw town, put a scarf on over my face, and proceeded to mow down about 10,000 people consisting of outlaws and townsfolk alike. The street to between my little apartment and the hotel was literally piled high with bodies, and each dandy couple that wandered along, looked at the street and cried out "Oh my!" joined the carnage.

I guess I'm kinda ill.
    oh my!
  • 3 days until Halloween and no one has a spooky profile picture? Shame on all of you!
  • wh1t3kn1tewh1t3kn1te Opening Act
    Wildcat15 said:

3 days until Halloween and no one has a spooky profile picture? Shame on all of you!

probably not a surprise, but i don't observe Halloween. heh
  • Wildcat15 said:

3 days until Halloween and no one has a spooky profile picture? Shame on all of you!

probably not a surprise, but i don't observe Halloween. heh
    Neither do I, lol
    "Everyday is Halloween"

But I like my shark
  • But I like my shark

Same
    Let's have Sharkoween or some far better name for a Shark based Halloween!
  • it is kinda not worth it this close to Halloween... if you reminded me at least a week before I probably would have found a "spooky" MLP picture to use
    We are barely a month past the solstice and already I am HURTING.
    The sun doesn't come up for another 100 minutes!
  • This is just a little update to let you know that my local classic rock station is currently playing...”Boulevard of Broken Dreams” by Green Day.

This is just a little update to let you know that my local classic rock station is currently playing...”Boulevard of Broken Dreams” by Green Day.

Next up, "God Save the Queen" by the Sex Pistols, which oddly enough does actually sound pretty much like classic rock these days.

This is just a little update to let you know that my local classic rock station is currently playing...”Boulevard of Broken Dreams” by Green Day.

Next up, "God Save the Queen" by the Sex Pistols, which oddly enough does actually sound pretty much like classic rock these days.
    So you’re looking at it from the Punk angle while I think @mlee117379 was referring to the classic rock station playing 2000s songs now.
    Witticus said:

So you’re looking at it from the Punk angle while I think @mlee117379 was referring to the classic rock station playing 2000s songs now.
    Yes I was, which is kind of funny because I generally don't consider pop-punk bands like Green Day or Blink-182 as being punk.
  • My classic Rock Station has not started 2000s songs yet, but I have noticed the modern rock station to start to play more older music

Like I have been hearing Ozzy, Motley Crue, Black Sabbath, The Ramones, and Guns N Roses all play on that station this week

And with the classic rock station playing things like Faith No More, Pearl Jam, Green Day, and Stone Temple Pilots, both stations are starting to sound the same
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    In a few years radio stations will have followed the path of MTV and only broadcast live reality shows
  • jibjqrkl said:

In a few years radio stations will have followed the path of MTV and only broadcast live reality shows

Radio plays were a thing early on in the medium, a famous example being the reading of War of the Worlds that caused legitimate panic -- 80 years ago today, in fact.
  • MTV pulled the inverse radio then
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive

jibjqrkl said:

Radio plays were a thing early on in the medium, a famous example being the reading of War of the Worlds that caused legitimate panic -- 80 years ago today, in fact.
    fun fact for that fun fact, there was actually hardly any panic at all after that play. Newspapers felt threatened by radio at that time and they thought printing stories like these would discourage people from listening.
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/war-of-the-worlds/
    I listen to Johnny Dollar, Gunsmoke, and The Jack Benny Show. Radio's not dead!
    The actors have all left us though. And I don't actually listen to them on the radio.
  • A safe and happy Halloween to all you fine folks of WAYDRN (not WRUDRN, dammit).
    Normally one of my favorite days of the year! Then again, I like it so much that I go ahead and celebrate it in some way at various points all year long

(insert all the lyrics for the Ministry song here)

My wife is crushed by the change of seasons + a stressful fall in general, she's in no mood to celebrate. Troubling!
    We aren't handing out candy, because instead we are going to see "First Man" in IMAX (a real IMAX screen, at the Smithsonian). It's the last evening showing at their theatre, and I've heard it's absolutely essential to watch the moon landing parts in IMAX.

I heard the same thing about "Doctor Strange" but never got around to seeing it.

(insert Ferris Bueller quote here)
  • edited October 31
    Did you know that the guy who wrote Alice in Wonderland might have been worthy of being put in chains?

http://mentalfloss.com/article/519291/when-lewis-carroll-was-suspected-being-jack-ripper

In 1996, by which time Lewis Carroll had died and was now just a man in a box, a guy named Richard Wallace published some dirt on him. Wallace claimed history had got Carroll wrong, and that the killer who turned women into them bones was actually him. Wallace’s argument in a nutshell was that certain passages down in the hole of Carroll's writings were actually anagrams for confessions. People saw Wallace's theory and they were a little bitter. They thought he was a junkhead who, going by his logic, could have been confessing that he should have been hung on a hook for murdering Nicole and framing OJ. Wallace's theory seems about as implausible as the idea that the devil put dinosaurs here, but what about you? You have no excuses not to take care of yourself. This Halloween, make sure that the one you know who you think could be in heaven beside you isn't actually a rotten apple you should stay away from.