Comments

• TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    Smash Bros news in 12 hours!
  • It's that time of the year!

• jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    same

• I still have 5 minutes!

• Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    Neil Young is married to Daryl Hannah?! When did she divorce Dan Aykroyd?

OH Dan is married to Donnie Dixon, nevermind
    My shins hurt every time I run, and I suspect I now hate running as much as most people already hated running in the first place. I had a super-power: I would exercise not because I "should", but because it was actually fun. It's no longer fun. At all.

Exercise that I find fun:
    1. Walking. Let's visit some pokestops and catch some poke-critters! Drawbacks: takes 2x as long as running
    2. Swimming: as long as my head is above water at least 80% of the time, it's fun. Freestyle: FU, I'm gasping for air within half a pool length, what's fun about that?. How about backstroke! Or treading water? Those work for me. Drawbacks: I don't even know where the nearest pool is, but I'm pretty sure wherever it is they don't let you reserve a lane to yourself to hang out treading water. Or for any reason. So I'd have to keep ramming into people and making them pass me. Ugh.
    3. Digging sand castles: does this count as exercise? It must: my arms feel sort (in a good way) afterwards. Drawbacks: the beach is about 3 hours away and it's too cold to bother going there 8 months out of the year.

tl;dr it's raining and gross outside and I'm crabby and nobody has made a post since Thursday so I figured I'd break the ice. So What R yoU Doing Right Now?
  • Walking has always been better for me. Especially with the distorted-barely paved sidewalks my town has. Not to mention most of the town has incline.
    I actually lost 20 pounds (i'm not overweight but I just was enjoying the exercise) just walking for several months in a row. I usually walked 4 days a week. Sometimes 5 or 6.
    I also cut back on the junk food as well.

Let's just say that didn't last though :D
    Walking: the winner by default! And I've been doing lots of it. I don't feel particularly "in shape" after years and years of taking the extra time to walk as much as possible ... but it's just not the kind of exercise that makes you "toned". However I know from past experience that I would blimp out noticeably (15-25 pounds?) if I suddenly started taking the bus to and from the metro every day and grabbing lunch downstairs instead of wandering around the neighborhood to check out every food truck.

My wife was determined to have us eat healthy (or healthier) at some point, but she seems to have reverted fully to her Texas roots. "All meat all the time!". "So many foods are unhealthy, what can ya do, screw it", seems to have been her attitude for the past 725 days or so.

I've determined that the best way to make sure that "next year I'll be in the best shape I've been in in years" is to let myself go to seed for a year or two first. To leave myself room for improvement. There's a bit a sense to this idea ... and a whole lot of sloth / avoidance. The turn around begins ... as soon as the sun returns, when longer days become the norm once again, when Daylight Savings Time starts up. March 10th.

But why not ... right now? What say you @Lawdog1521 do we dust off the treadmill tonight?
  • LoopyChewLoopyChew Wordsmith
    I walk at least six miles every day. With my girlfriend on another continent I still have ample time to walk home (2.5 miles, uphill) on the daily. It's helped curb my blood sugar and people are telling me I'm looking better, so that's something.
    Americans don't walk AT ALL. They rarely even consider it as a real option. Many times, it's NOT a real option: in so many places, the sidewalk just disappears! And why bother to build one if no one is going to use it anyway? Driving everywhere isn't even thought of as being lazy. It's deeply ingrained into the culture as just the way things are done.

In the city, you can walk, because parking is expensive.
    Except LA. Nobody walks in LA.
  • I would love to walk more, but according to Google Maps it would be a little over 3 hours to walk to work

also in the summer months it would really suck... though now that it cooled off quite a bit I try to do hikes ever other weekend
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    Get a dog. Mine goes for (3) 15 min (at minimum, longer on weekends) brisk walks a day minimum (I do mornings before work, and evenings after dinner, wife takes her in the afternoon) ...plus I get in a short 20-30 min jog every other day to get the heart rate up. Although not terrible, I could still be in much better shape though... mostly by snacking less during the day.
    edited November 5
    The idea of having to touch poop several times a day, every day — even through a "glove" or bag or whatever — seems like a hellish existence to me. Also: having my possessions destroyed on a regular basis. And having to rush home after work, every single day. And make complicated arrangements anytime I want to go out of town.

See also: children. SO MUCH POOP. And destruction.

I just don't get it!
    edited November 5
    A 20-30 minute jog takes an hour minimum (stretch before, during, and after, change into running clothes, shower, change back into normal clothes). I'd rather just walk for an hour and skip all that other crap, PLUS my shins aren't in pain the whole time.

I do miss running though, especially when I was sort-of fast. Fast enough to make still air sound like wind blowing (for short periods). I spent years trying to convince people that OF COURSE you'll be very slow when you start out, and that it's OK, nobody is judging you. And yet, now I'm slow again and I find that I really miss passing people.

I always hope someone will read my messages and point out something simple I'm missing ["didn't your doctor tell you to get a wobble board last year? maybe if you use that regularly you won't get shin splints any more and eventually you'll be fast again!"].

[or, "you get used to the smell of poop really quickly, you'll only gag and vomit picking up after your dog the first few dozen times, and for MOST dogs they grow out of their bite up the furniture stage"]
    You get used to bagging/cleaning up poop from both dogs and kids relatively quickly. It certainly isn’t a good reason for not having either (there are other valid reasons though... including the responsibility for putting them first ahead of everything else).

Also, they both grow out of their destructive habits (of physical property) soon enough. Only to possibly get in to more destructive habits later.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    The answer is "cats". You still have to deal with poop everyday, but it's encased in sand. I don't know if that better or not. And plus they aren't typically super destructive, just a little destructive if you play with them to burn off their energy, and mostly it's "I'm an ****" kind of stuff. Putting everything here together, one time I was getting ready to go running during lunch at work, and one of my shoelaces was broken in the middle. Not broken, but chewed in two. In a place that made it very difficult to tie together to make do. I laughed. Cats like to chase string, and shoe-strings are string.

Plus cats can hang for a weekend alone if you pile up the crunchies, make sure the litter is clean, and put out extra water when you leave.
    I’ve never seen anyone take their cat for a jog, though.
  • BachiG said:

I’ve never seen anyone take their cat for a jog, though.

Might have to try it .
    :D
    Almost certainly that wouldn't work out well! Imagine a cat being led on a harness: good luck, pal

UNLESS you've got the cat that was raised by Huskies.
  • from my understanding if you start walking a cat as a kitten it will be fine when you take it for walks

but that is just what I heard from other people
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    edited November 6
    My cats go for walks on leashes. They aren't interested in going on runs, though.
    edited November 6
    I think you would have to domesticate a big cat. A cougar?

AND YET

Cats are sprinters. "I must be in the next room right now, for reasons I will never explain!"
    Ancient humans would wear down their prey over the course of hours or days. Relentless. Many critters are faster than man. But they cannot keep up that pace forever. Then the human makes one last burst of speed over towards the exhausted creature and BONK: dinner is served.
    Is it in fact true that a man can beat a horse in a marathon? Someone call mythbusters.
  • Today is Election Day, and the one in 1972 must have been the greatest day Richard Nixon had ever known.

In 1968, eight years after the first time he tried, tried, tried for the presidency, Nixon's infinite sadness came to an end when he finally achieved what had been in his everlasting gaze: the White House. In 1972, the first election where the 18-year-old cherubs could rock the vote, America re-elected Nixon in a landslide. Poor George McGovern won zero electoral votes outside of Massachusetts and DC. Unfortunately, Nixon's political success couldn't last until 1979. Thanks to Watergate, a man who once stood inside America's love was now seen as just another used car salesman, an angel whose bruised and restrained wings were glued on. Drowning in legal troubles, Nixon eventually resigned in shame, which set the presidency to Jerry Ford.
    Can someone link me to where I can find detailed instructions for:

1) trying to revive a friends' PDP guitar [revived it to the point that the only problem is that the green button won't register any more, seems to be a firmware problem and not a physical button issue: can the firmware be updated on these?]
    2) my PS4 drums won't connect any more. They are seen by my PS4, and then by RB4, but hitting "options" does nothing useful. can the firmware be updated on these?
    3) easy one: I have an RB4 madcatz guitar that only strums one direction, I bought a replacement strumbar but I'm not sure how to install it. I'm told this is easy! OK, fine, I'll search on my own for the appropriate YouTube video that details the process.

But the other 2 issues, I could use feedback (easy / hard / I'm doomed?)
    DOOMED.
  • Can someone link me to where I can find detailed instructions for:

1) trying to revive a friends' PDP guitar [revived it to the point that the only problem is that the green button won't register any more, seems to be a firmware problem and not a physical button issue: can the firmware be updated on these?]
    2) my PS4 drums won't connect any more. They are seen by my PS4, and then by RB4, but hitting "options" does nothing useful. can the firmware be updated on these?
    3) easy one: I have an RB4 madcatz guitar that only strums one direction, I bought a replacement strumbar but I'm not sure how to install it. I'm told this is easy! OK, fine, I'll search on my own for the appropriate YouTube video that details the process.

But the other 2 issues, I could use feedback (easy / hard / I'm doomed?)

Pinging @LoopyChew on this.
  • Also, RIP Prima Games. Bought so many strategy guides back in the day.
  • New headcanon: Star Wars is set in an alternate history where interacting with the Monoliths allowed humanity to develop space travel thousands of years early.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited November 11

New headcanon: Star Wars is set in an alternate history where interacting with the Monoliths allowed humanity to develop space travel thousands of years early.

• rkbdgurlrkbdgurl Road Warrior
    Speaking of walking the cat, I once had a young feral cat that would walk with us every time we walked our dog. He would walk ahead a little bit then lay down right in the path of the dog and then swipe at him when he got close enough. Was a funny little cat that never let us touch him, but he still seemed to think of us as his family.

About the exercise, I hate it. Never jogged, walking a dog not too bad, but the best exercise I do is drumming on RB. It gets my heart rate up, makes me sweat, and sit up straight.... and it's just plain fun!
    So there you go @Meat-Popsicle. Get yourself a set of drums. ;)