WRUDRN 2018: Deep Blues Traveller Something.... Bruther

Comments

• Meat-PopsicleMeat-Popsicle Road Warrior
    Someone in Rancho Bernardo "wronged" the folks in the band, and thus they are telling the whole city (or the high school?) to go Blink themselves.

But don't take it personally!

Unless YOU were the one that wronged them.

In which case ...

whoa.
    InSight landed safely, pretty cool.
    And right away it sent back a picture of its landing spot. It was super-dusty. In fact, they didn't even wait to take the dust cap off. Those photos will come later.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    Well, I did once say of a song by a different band, "Wow, that sounds like Blink-182. Only good."
    I watched the scene from NASA live on YouTube, and the comments were visible by default, and ... whoa.
    I'm at a loss to explain the complex soup of organic material [bile + willful ignorance] that flourishes there.
    Does that place and others just attract sociopaths, or does it somehow encourage that kind of talk, with some sort of intricate "survival of the fittest" selection process at work?
    I refuse to be disturbed by their behavior, because that's just what they are hoping to do.

So I turned off the comments.
  • LordFlatusLordFlatus Rising Star
    Try reading the comments on any Fox News story about a California wild fire.
  • wh1t3kn1tewh1t3kn1te Opening Act
    honestly any comment section on any site can be quite the read. my favorite is any youtube video that features political content.
  • honestly any comment section on any site can be quite the read. my favorite is any youtube video that features political content.

Get ready for all the game of the year comments -- Kotaku, Polygon, Giant Bomb, etc. -- those are amazing and terrifying.
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive
    edited November 27

honestly any comment section on any site can be quite the read. my favorite is any youtube video that features political content.

my favorite ones are the one that say something completely innocent like "I like your hair", then -View 60 replies- to that comment and it somehow ends with someone having a 12 page monologue about why Bugs Bunny promoted communism or some weird thing like that

it's always a magical journey trying to find out how that happened
  • My favorite place for political content is these forums, because there isn't any.

GotY comments, though? That'll be fun to watch.
    None of it is fun or funny! So much anger, almost all of it completely misplaced. Where do these people come from?

OH WAIT I knew someone in junior high that now tweets these kinds of things from time to time ... so I know the answer! He was always questioning the answers in science class. "How do we know that?"

... which is actually a great question to ask. It's the whole basis of science: make a hypothesis and see if you can confirm / reject it in a repeatable way, ideally using several different methods to test it.

BUT

He never, ever believed any of the answers. All of science, indeed every topic in the encyclopedia was filled with made-up crap, with the Truth known only to people that were smart enough not to accept what "they" want you to believe.

"But how do we know for sure the Earth ISN'T flat" is totally something I can picture him claiming.
    And then believing the wildly convoluted explanations that sort-of explained some parts of the theory ("it's a big bowl with the sun just a few dozen miles away, and the edge is a huge wall in Antarctica"), more so than what Those Tricky Scientists were trying to bully us into thinking.

Every once in a while, his arguments would shake loose an admission that the model we had just studied was just a rough approximation of the more complex real-life system, and to him that justified continued skepticism about everything. It sort-of did! But it was infuriating for me, even back then.

The more convincing the evidence that backed what the textbooks said, the deeper the conspiracy was that was covering up The Real Truth.
  • TubaDude49TubaDude49 Road Warrior
    LoopyChew said:

My favorite place for political content is these forums, because there isn't any.

Celeste!
  • jibjqrkljibjqrkl Eventually Perceptive

None of it is fun or funny! So much anger, almost all of it completely misplaced. Where do these people come from?

OH WAIT I knew someone in junior high that now tweets these kinds of things from time to time ... so I know the answer! He was always questioning the answers in science class. "How do we know that?"

... which is actually a great question to ask. It's the whole basis of science: make a hypothesis and see if you can confirm / reject it in a repeatable way, ideally using several different methods to test it.

BUT

He never, ever believed any of the answers. All of science, indeed every topic in the encyclopedia was filled with made-up crap, with the Truth known only to people that were smart enough not to accept what "they" want you to believe.

"But how do we know for sure the Earth ISN'T flat" is totally something I can picture him claiming.
    And then believing the wildly convoluted explanations that sort-of explained some parts of the theory ("it's a big bowl with the sun just a few dozen miles away, and the edge is a huge wall in Antarctica"), more so than what Those Tricky Scientists were trying to bully us into thinking.

Every once in a while, his arguments would shake loose an admission that the model we had just studied was just a rough approximation of the more complex real-life system, and to him that justified continued skepticism about everything. It sort-of did! But it was infuriating for me, even back then.

The more convincing the evidence that backed what the textbooks said, the deeper the conspiracy was that was covering up The Real Truth.

to have fun with those types of people, just take whatever their conspiracy is and make it even worse.

"The moon landing was fake!"
    "You still believe the moon is real?!"
  • wh1t3kn1tewh1t3kn1te Opening Act

BUT

I agree with part of your post, the part about accepted science and all that, but it IS healthy to question some things, especially if you have scientists themselves saying they don't know everything. even something as simple as gravity is still just a theory.

I just wish some of the media would read better before reporting on some of these "scientific" findings lol

• LoopyChew said:

My favorite place for political content is these forums, because there isn't any.

Celeste!
    Celeste is a definite contender. I've also been dying a lot in The Messenger recently.

Have yet to play RDR2 or Spider-Man.
  • Which band should I do the “retelling historical events by playing on song titles” thing with next? I’ve already done them for Oasis, Boston, Alice in Chains, the Smashing Pumpkins, and Foo Fighters.
  • bclewisbclewis Road Warrior
    edited November 28

I agree with part of your post, the part about accepted science and all that, but it IS healthy to question some things, especially if you have scientists themselves saying they don't know everything. even something as simple as gravity is still just a theory.

Yes, it's "just" a theory, but that wording is misleading; when people hear that they think "just a hypothesis" or "just a conjecture".

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/just-a-theory-7-misused-science-words/
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    Questioning is healthy, but when someone dedicates their life to the sole pursuit of helping people live healthier, more fulfilling lives and someone with an Instagram account and no knowledge whatsoever of the subject they meme about successfully influences people to disregard proven science, then we have a real issue.

Source: My wife works in vaccine development
  • Which band should I do the “retelling historical events by playing on song titles” thing with next? I’ve already done them for Oasis, Boston, Alice in Chains, the Smashing Pumpkins, and Foo Fighters.

Iron Maiden!
    Ads in my social feed suggest I might be interested in Playground Sessions ("The fun and easiest way to learn to play piano"). Requires a membership so I imagine you don't "own" any of the songs (500 lessons = ~ songs?).
    I have 92 items on my PSN Store Wish List, and there are currently none (0) of them selling for a discounted price. I'm not sure I've ever seen that happen! Even given that there's a selection bias going on: the items that are on the list currently are almost always items that have never been on sale for any significant discount, or I would have bought them at that point. Or removed them, once I figured out that, even at a discount, I wasn't that eager to get the game after all. And I already have a number of unplayed games in my queue.

But still!

Normally I'd take this as a sure sign that there a Flash Sale arriving on Friday, but maybe it just means that their Black Friday / Cyber Monday sales are over and that there won't be another big sale right away.
    Does "search" no longer work on this site?
    How about using @ to tag + notify someone? [Maybe it's just my cruddy browser that doesn't work with this one]
  • WitticusWitticus VERY DEEP
    @ works just ask @dad
    Is @GrandmaLorraine still around?

Normally I'd take this as a sure sign that there a Flash Sale arriving on Friday, but maybe it just means that their Black Friday / Cyber Monday sales are over and that there won't be another big sale right away.

Flash Sale!
    8 of the 92 items on my list are discounted
  • @SisterRay might stop in.
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...
    Is @TheStuddz really banned?!!? What’d I miss?!!?
  • RIP Guitar Hero for the second time.
  • BachiG said:

The account still appears active.
  • BachiGBachiG Inconceivable...

BachiG said:

The account still appears active.
    Yeah, today it looks fine.... yesterday the forum showed the “User Banned, Carry On” image for his profile pic. May have just been a mistake (likely)... or a short timeout for something (doubtful)